PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Ethernet Bridges - Any experience with them?

Lzen
08-24-2006, 08:15 AM
I bought a Linksys wireless ethernet bridge the other day. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=L48-2408

It turned out to be junk and I'll be sending it back. I guess that's why it was only $14.99 when I bought it. Anyway, while looking up these devices, I've seen a lot of varying opinions on all the different models I've looked at. If anyone has some experience with these and has a recommendation, it would be appreciated.

BTW, I have a Dlink DI-524 wireless G router. I use encryption and mac filtering.

htismaqe
08-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I can't stand LinkSys, nothing but problems with mine lately.

What exactly are you looking for?

Lzen
08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Heh, that's interesting. I always thought Linksys made quality products. I never had a Linksys product before now, so I was just going on what I had heard/read. Perhaps they've just gotten bad lately?

Anyway, what I'm looking to do is to play my PS2 downstairs. My wireless router is upstairs. BTW, I'm thinking of buying this Dlink bridge.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1034866&CatId=0

htismaqe
08-25-2006, 09:06 AM
If you're trying to expand your primary AP range by adding a bridge, I'd recommend the D-Link. The ensures you don't have compatibility issues.

phisherman
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
doing tech work, in my experience, linksys made very solid NICs and hubs/switches, but made very poor wireless routers...

the range of their wireless routers has always been poor compared to dlink

bp

Lzen
08-25-2006, 02:20 PM
If you're trying to expand your primary AP range by adding a bridge, I'd recommend the D-Link. The ensures you don't have compatibility issues.

Yeah, the compatibility issue is why I decided to go with the Dlink this time.

All I'm trying to do is to be able to play my Playstation 2 online without an ethernet cable. That way, I'm not stuck in my bedroom (where the router is located) whenever I want to play online gaming.

htismaqe
08-26-2006, 06:23 AM
doing tech work, in my experience, linksys made very solid NICs and hubs/switches, but made very poor wireless routers...

the range of their wireless routers has always been poor compared to dlink

bp

I have a LinkSys 4-port 10/100 switch and 4 or 5 NICs. Cheap, dependable, perfect. They're awesome.

I also had a LinkSys WCG200 router/firewall/wireless AP/cable modem. The firewall lacked any type of diagnostics and it's support for NTP was limited, so the time stamps on the limited logs were never right. The wireless range sucked and constantly dropped connections even when the signal was excellent. And the cable modem was HOT, the thing just didn't have proper airflow design in the chassis.

htismaqe
08-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Yeah, the compatibility issue is why I decided to go with the Dlink this time.

All I'm trying to do is to be able to play my Playstation 2 online without an ethernet cable. That way, I'm not stuck in my bedroom (where the router is located) whenever I want to play online gaming.

Well, the link you provided is the exact device you need.

listopencil
08-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, the link you provided is the exact device you need.

I got one of those a few months ago and I never did get it to work with my XBOX or PS2. It never connected, even now with my router in the same room only 4 feet away.

htismaqe
08-27-2006, 09:23 AM
I got one of those a few months ago and I never did get it to work with my XBOX or PS2. It never connected, even now with my router in the same room only 4 feet away.

Is your router also a D-Link?

I set one up for a guy at work using an Actiontec wirelss AP and it took about 5 minutes...

Chazno
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
This is what I use http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=329138&Pn=P_330WC_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router

Works great, gives me multiple port to plug in whatever. Setup took about an hour. Oh and I got it for $10 after rebate, which it seems to have rebates often.

Lzen
08-28-2006, 02:47 PM
This is what I use http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=329138&Pn=P_330WC_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router

Works great, gives me multiple port to plug in whatever. Setup took about an hour. Oh and I got it for $10 after rebate, which it seems to have rebates often.

Uh, you must've missed the part where I said I already have a wireless router.

Chazno
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Uh, you must've missed the part where I said I already have a wireless router.

Not at all, You just need to read the details. This router has 3 modes, including bridge mode. My router is Linksys, which is downstairs, this is upstairs in my entertainment cabinet plugged into my xbox and soon my HD-DVD player. Its a really nice solution which as I said gives you multiple ports to plug into instead of only one like alot of bridges.

Lzen
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Oh, didn't realize it had multiple modes. Well, thanks but I already ordered the Dlink bridge last week. It's scheduled to arrive today.

Lzen
08-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Got the Dlink wireless ethernet bridge last night. Hooked it up. It too some configuring to make it work with my security settings, but it did work. Thanks to all in this thread for the help.

SLAG
09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Repost :shrug:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2772913

:p

listopencil
09-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Is your router also a D-Link?

I set one up for a guy at work using an Actiontec wirelss AP and it took about 5 minutes...

It's a 2WIRE.

Lzen
09-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Repost :shrug:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2772913

:p

Heh, that Linksys that you posted is the POS that I bought the first time. Now I have to send it back to them because it locked up.

Lzen
09-02-2006, 02:53 PM
It's a 2WIRE.

Don't know anything about 2WIRE. You got a model #?

listopencil
09-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Don't know anything about 2WIRE. You got a model #?

1071HG

Lzen
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
1071HG

Do you have MAC filtering on? Or perhaps the IP address of the PS2 needs to be opened on your router? I really can't tell you exactly how to do this as I have no experience with that type of router.

listopencil
09-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Do you have MAC filtering on? Or perhaps the IP address of the PS2 needs to be opened on your router? I really can't tell you exactly how to do this as I have no experience with that type of router.

My network doesn't even show it as present.