PDA

View Full Version : Carl: "I don't know that we need to go out now and look for a running back."

DaWolf
12-17-2000, 10:19 PM
Carl Peterson, freshly entrenched for another five years as the Chiefs' president and general manager, said the job of featured back was now Richardson's to lose.

"I don't know that we need to go out now and look for a running back," Peterson said. "I think he's been here. He's here right now, and he's getting better. This is the first time he's ever had the opportunity to run with it 20-plus times. I always felt he could get 100 yards and he had, what, (156)?

"He's what you're looking for in a running back. He can run from the single-back or two-back set." "I'm probably as pleased as he is about seeing him in a featured role," Peterson said. "He hasn't disappointed us any time he's carried it or caught it in the last three years.

"He has all the qualities you look for in a football player. He sets a tone. Some people have said he runs to contact but he's got a physical attitude about him that I think offensive lineman love. He's a very difficult back to tackle. He's always been a great blocker. He catches the ball well and he makes yards after that. I've always been a Tony Richardson guy. I've always felt he's the best running back we have.

"Last week, Tony had a very good game, also. It's a mind-set. You've just got to keep feeding him and letting him do what he does best. He's a very physical runner. (Moreau) did a nice job, too. I'm very happy with our running-back situation."
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3774fe29.c17,.html <P>

Otter
12-17-2000, 10:23 PM
Did you expect anything else?

DaWolf
12-17-2000, 10:52 PM
I appreciate Carl and the job he's done, but I think he's dead wrong when it comes to this issue...

nmt1
12-18-2000, 06:16 AM
Very worriesome.

morphius
12-18-2000, 06:25 AM
Let us face it, there is no business sense in saying that you deperatly need a RB, the one you try to sign in the offseason is going to be holding all the chips. Carl is not stupid enough to put himself in that position.

Spott
12-18-2000, 06:43 AM
Tony Richardson had a nice game, but you have to consider it was against a weak Denver D that. The only reason that Carl's happy with the current RB situation is that none of their salaries count very much against the cap.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

mlyonsd
12-18-2000, 08:28 AM
If you were watching the game on TV yesterday you had to see this coming.

CP had TRich in a death hug, almost cheek to cheek whispering sweet nothings in his ear.

I like TRich but could you imagine lining up with a guy like Dillon, Garner, or Barber WITH TRich?

Romo would pee his pants.

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 12-18-2000).]

kcred
12-18-2000, 08:42 AM
Yea, he's been here all along and the dumbass coaching staff took 16 weeks to find him. Or how about Gunther, I wasn't going to let them talk me out of it, after Donnell went down last week. Who the hell is coaching this team?

Bwana
12-18-2000, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a spin to me,BUT lets see what happens in the off season.

ct
12-18-2000, 10:49 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, he has been here all along. And the coaches have just the last two weeks pulled thier domes out of the abyss to give him the damn ball!!!

We already had the makings of a Thunder-n-Lightning attack, but for some reason, Cloud is just ignored. How's about we use TRich and Tiki Barber(once we sign him that is) as just such, with Moreau as backup. Barber will come cheap compared to a Dillon or Garner.

This will save some $$ for OLine and OLB(moving Maz in the middle).

I'll definitely go along with NOT searching for the high priced RB, so long as we stick with TRich as our feature HB, but we do still need the scat back type to complement. Using TRich still leaves some holes that he just can't give us.

------------------
ct

[b]FINALLY they gave TRich the Ball!!! And whadaya know!
</B>

Cannibal
12-18-2000, 11:12 AM
For once I agree with Carl Peterson. (I can't believe I just said that.)

TRich is the only RB we need. Just give him the ball 20 time a game and he'll rush 1,200+ yards.

The play action attack will only get better with TRich getting all the carries.

We have many other needs on this team and RB is not one of them.

Backup QB
Project QB of the future
Corner (or two)
OG
Center
Punt/Kick Returner
OLB
DTackle

Mark M
12-18-2000, 11:33 AM
Cannibal--
Great point. People have been screaming about the need for an RB yet none of the ones on our roster have been given a true chance to earn the spot.

Just to let you all know, the Bears have a 1,000 yard rusher, and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. It takes a total team effort.

I do have to disagree with you on drafting a QB. The Chiefs have had zero luck drafting that position. We need (gulp) some OLinemen (that hurts to type), youth at DT and some more speed at OLB (Bush and Patton are wastes of cap space). I'd also have to say a good blocking FB would be nice as well.

MM
~~Can't believe he also agrees with Carl.

One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-18-2000).]

Cannibal
12-18-2000, 11:46 AM
I'm not necessarily saying we must draft a QB.

But we need to pick up a viable backup QB and get our hands on a project to develop for the future.

Look at what Aaron Brooks has done for the Saints.<P>

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 11:58 AM
Pick up Mike Cherry.

(Bob Dole is obligated to push for players from Bob Dole's area...)

Mark M
12-18-2000, 12:01 PM
Cannibal--
Agreed. I'd love to have a young, talented QB in here to groom for when Elvis goes. The problem is that the Chiefs get the youth, but not necessarily the talent.

And the backups we get are either: a) so old they remember when you had to jump to pass legally; b) better than the starter, but never get a chance to prove so; c) have no business playing the in the NFL, CFL, XFL or even on Rockhurst's team.

I think the '83 draft has cursed us forever.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know of any FA QBs that we can afford? Ones that would fit well into the backup role?

And, for those that feel we do need a primetime RB, who can we afford to get? Barber would be nice, but what about the $$ needed to get him?

MM
~~Wondering where the money will come from.

One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 12:15 PM
Here are the free agent QBs available (in a more readable format):

<table border=1 cellspacing=0>
<tr><td>Batch, Charlie <td>DET <td>Restricted
<tr><td>Cherry, Mike <td>NYG <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Detmer, Koy <td>PHI <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Dilfer, Trent <td>BAL <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Foley, Glenn <td>SEA <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Frerotte, Gus <td>DEN <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Garcia, Jeff <td>SF <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Graziani, Tony <td>ATL <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Griese, Brian <td>DEN <td>Restricted
<tr><td>Harbaugh, Jim <td>SD <td>Restricted
<tr><td>Johnson, Brad <td>WAS <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Justin, Paul <td>DAL <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Kitna, Jon <td>SEA <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Lucus, Ray <td>NYJ <td>Restricted
<tr><td>Moreno, Moses <td>SD <td>Unrestricted
<tr><td>Tolliver, Billy Joe <td>NO <td>Unrestricted
</tr></table>

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 12-18-2000).]

Mark M
12-18-2000, 12:20 PM
Thanks Bob Dole--
None of them look particularly appealing. The ones that do will stay with their teams, in all likelihood: Batch, Griese and Garcia. All are starters, though. As far as a young backup, I guess Cherry, Moreno or Lucas (although Lucas has been around for a while, hasn't he?)

Tolliver and Harbaugh are still playing?? WTF?! I guess that goes to show just how thin the QB position is throughout the league.

What about RB's (that we can afford—Garner is out, and, IMHO, so is Barber)?

MM
~~Feels bad making someone else do the research (but he's awfully busy).

------------------
--George W. Bush

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 12:23 PM
The only reason Bob Dole has heard of Cherry is because he came out of the same (high school) program as Warfield and Rod Smith. In 4 seasons he has one pass attempt for the Giants.

Spott
12-18-2000, 12:24 PM
The only one on that list that looks like a decent backup is Lucas. There are a few [b}starters[/b] on that list who could do very well, especially Garcia. That would be right up Carl's alley. Another ex-49er QB, except this one isn't a backup.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 12:32 PM
Not certain of the accuracy:
<TR><TD>Barber, Tiki<td>NYG <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Bates, Mario<td>ARI <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Beasley, Fred<td>SF <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Bennett, Donnell<td>KC <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Bettis, Jerome<td>PIT <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Carter, Tony<td>NE <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Dillon, Corey<td>CIN <td>Unrestricted <TR><TD>Edwards, Marc <td>CLE <td>Unrestricted <TR><TD>Enis, Curtis<td>CHI <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Garner, Charlie<td>SF <td>Unrestricted <TR><TD>Graham, Jay <td>BAL <td>Unrestricted <TR><TD>Hanspard, Byron <td>ATL <td>Unrestricted <TR><TD>Hicks, Skip <td>WAS <td>Restricted
</tr></table>

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 12:33 PM
<TR><TD>Holmes, Priest<td>BAL <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Kirby, Terry<td>CLE <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Linton, Jonathan<td>BUF <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Means, Natrone<td>CAR <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Murrell, Adrian<td>WAS <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Oxendine, Ken<td>ATL <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Pittman, Michael<td>ARI <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Ritchie, Jon<td>OAK <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Shaw, Sedrick<td>CIN <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Shehee, Rashaan<td>KC <td>Restricted
<TR><TD>Shelton, Daimon<td>JAX <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Smith, Robert<td>MIN <td>Unrestricted
<TR><TD>Warren, Chris<td>DAL <td>Unrestricted
</tr></table><BR>

Mark M
12-18-2000, 12:47 PM
Bob Dole--
I guess we should just call you NFL Info Central.

If I had my dream pick it would be Smith from Minn. The guy is so fluid when he runs no one seems to get a solid hit. He also seems to have gotten over his injury-proneness (not a word, I know).

Hicks would be a great fit, depending on compensation (he's restricted). Holmes would also be a great fit, but I'm not sure on $$. Barber would also be nice as a compliment to TR.

But the question remains . . . besides the big names on the list (Garner, Smith, Dillon) are any of these guys better than what we have? If we keep TR and Moreau, release Bennett, Cloud, Anders (who I'd like to keep) and Hall, we still need 2 FBs and and probably another RB. With the $$ FAs commonly ask for, it looks like the draft may be our best choice, IMO.

MM
~~Doesn't see an upgrade on this list with our current cap concerns.

morphius
12-18-2000, 12:48 PM
Garner and Dillon are the only ones that look remotely interesting to me, of course that Bennett guy might be a real steal.

TheFly
12-18-2000, 12:52 PM
Is Carl Peterson really Packfan in disguise?!

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 01:00 PM
Word is that NY intends to re-sign Barber.

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 01:01 PM
double...

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 01:08 PM
triple...

Packfan
12-18-2000, 03:10 PM
Peterson sounds a lot like some Chief fans. After ONE big game by a running back, Peterson thinks the running back woes are solved. After the Chiefs beat the Rams, fans thought they were super bowl bound. After the Chiefs lost to the Chargers, fans wanted everyone from top down fired. <P>

58Forever
12-18-2000, 03:16 PM
ESAD...

Carl is being realistic and idealistic at the same time....he knows damn well that we don't have the kind of cap money to afford a Dillon or a Garner, a Barber for that matter so he's hoping that TRich is the answer...frankly, so do I...because I don't think we'll get any high priced FAs either...so we better find an answer in our own back yard...or through the draft...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst