PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs $12 million under the cap currently

KCChiefsFan88
08-28-2006, 07:25 PM
According to Peter King in his column on SI.com today. He lists the Chiefs as one of the teams he thinks would be interested in Deion Branch... his comment:

Kansas City ($12 million under): Herman Edwards saw him twice a year for the last four years, and his starters now are the aging Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. That's a lot of money to be burning a hole in Carl Peterson's pocket.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/28/mmqb.camps/4.html

the Talking Can
08-28-2006, 07:34 PM
that's a curious number...and we've got Gonzo/LJ to sign soon...oh yeah, and Kennison lol...

StcChief
08-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Branch ---> Eagles?

Mr. Laz
08-28-2006, 08:06 PM
i'm sure part of that number is the Roaf cap number ... maybe even Holmes.

nascher
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Yes and some guys need big extensions like Gonzo Kawika M. and maybe even Allen ?

BigVE
08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
If possible, Branch would be a HUGE upgrade to Samie "hands of stone" Parker. I get so tired of him dropping a ball and then putting that ignorant smile on his mug. He needs punched right in the grill each time he drops a catchable ball.

beer bacon
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
If possible, Branch would be a HUGE upgrade to Samie "hands of stone" Parker. I get so tired of him dropping a ball and then putting that ignorant smile on his mug. He needs punched right in the grill each time he drops a catchable ball.

Uhhhh, Parker had something like a five game stretch where his hands weren't that good. Hands of stone he is not.

BigVE
08-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Uhhhh, Parker had something like a five game stretch where his hands weren't that good. Hands of stone he is not.

Thats fine, you can cheer for him and sit around waiting for him to develope into something...I say get the proven commodity if you can afford it and if Samie FINALLY comes around then your team is even better. And besides, your arguement is that he "had a 5 game stretch where his hands werent that good" is lame. If you only do your job 60% of the time and the rest of the time you "drop the ball" is that considered good enough? Not in my books.

Coach
08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm guessing that someone hasn't been watching Parker in pre-season?

Name one drop from Parker. I haven't seen one yet.

My guess is either a player that has a huge salary that will be cut to absorb the hit, or, possibility a DT.

BigRedChief
08-28-2006, 09:09 PM
If that # is real thats okay as long as its not left on the table. Give some to Kennison and Tony G. Maybe even try to do a Branch trade. Even take care of LJ time but to just pocket the money. I'll have my Damnit Carl!:cuss: ready to go.

greg63
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
If that # is real thats okay as long as its not left on the table. Give some to Kennison and Tony G. Maybe even try to do a Branch trade. Even take care of LJ time but to just pocket the money. I'll have my Damnit Carl!:cuss: ready to go.

...Better dust it off. :D

Mecca
08-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes and some guys need big extensions like Gonzo Kawika M. and maybe even Allen ?

Why would Kawika Mitchell get a "big extension" sure he's an improved player but he isn't mr pro bowl out there. He's right in the middle of the pack for MLB's in the NFL...hell he's probably closer to 20 than he is 10. I don't think that warrants a "big extension".

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Branch ---> Eagles?

Eagles picked up Stallworth today.

Mecca
08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Eagles picked up Stallworth today.

And there that goes......I hope the Chiefs realize how really crappy these WR's are. They need to make a move they can't sit on thier hands with this one.

tk13
08-28-2006, 10:22 PM
We might have some space, but LJ is going to take a big chunk of that eventually. He is gonna be able to ask for a massive deal.

Mojo Rising
08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Branch does not deserve the $$$ he's asking for, and I wouldn't want to part with the picks (1st and 2nd.) He is a product of the system and will be the re-incarnation of Peerless Price.

Mecca
08-28-2006, 11:24 PM
They won't get a 1st and 2nd.......maybe one or the other but not both, I'd be surprised if they got a 1st to be honest. Depends, I do think Branch is worth a nice chunk of money. System this system that it still takes players to make plays.

By the way as far as Price goes, I know people rag him but playing with Vick doesn't exactly help your career as a WR. The Falcons continue to bring in all these WR's and their passing game doesn't get better. It's not the WR's that are the problem.....

The Dude Abides
08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
They won't get a 1st and 2nd.......maybe one or the other but not both, I'd be surprised if they got a 1st to be honest. Depends, I do think Branch is worth a nice chunk of money. System this system that it still takes players to make plays.

By the way as far as Price goes, I know people rag him but playing with Vick doesn't exactly help your career as a WR. The Falcons continue to bring in all these WR's and their passing game doesn't get better. It's not the WR's that are the problem.....
Exactly, its like buying a Dodge Viper and only driving it to the grocery store. Retarded

1punkyQB
08-29-2006, 02:11 AM
By the way as far as Price goes, I know people rag him but playing with Vick doesn't exactly help your career as a WR.
Vick's got some accuracy issues, but Price did nothing after leaving Atl. Probably Alvin Harper (better as a #2) syndrome. Whether Vick can find Lelie should be a good test case. And something to keep an eye on since we'll need a receiver when Lelie becomes a FA next year.

clyde05
08-29-2006, 02:21 AM
According to Peter King in his column on SI.com today. He lists the Chiefs as one of the teams he thinks would be interested in Deion Branch... his comment:

Kansas City ($12 million under): Herman Edwards saw him twice a year for the last four years, and his starters now are the aging Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. That's a lot of money to be burning a hole in Carl Peterson's pocket.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/28/mmqb.camps/4.html

So why didnt the Chiefs re-sign T-Rich?

BigRedChief
08-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Roaf and Holmes salary make up the large portion of that $12 mil #.......if its true.

Rain Man
08-29-2006, 07:05 AM
The goal in a situation like this should be to accelerate the contracts of players. Go to guys and say, "Hey, would you lower your salary for the next three years if we give you the difference now?" It makes no difference in the cost to the organization, and it frees up tons of money in the future just in case it's needed. There should never be cap money left unused. Never! (Other than a little bit to cover mid-season injury replacements, I guess.)

jspchief
08-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Roaf and Holmes salary make up the large portion of that $12 mil #.......if its true.Roaf and Holmes make up less than 5 mil of that.

Chief Chief
08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
When LJ's contract is up, I believe he'll run away from KC just as fast as he can. The guy carries major chips that are superglued to his shoulder, and the biggest one of all is the way he was treated for the first few years here, to include being back-up to a back-up...in his eyes, that's purely UNFORGIVABLE!

ROYC75
08-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Roaf
Holmes
Welborne
Browning
Bartee

These add up ......... of course if we could dump Bell and maybe Hicks, that could free up some more.

Rain Man
08-29-2006, 07:53 AM
When LJ's contract is up, I believe he'll run away from KC just as fast as he can. The guy carries major chips that are superglued to his shoulder, and the biggest one of all is the way he was treated for the first few years here, to include being back-up to a back-up...in his eyes, that's purely UNFORGIVABLE!

Eh, I think the situation is recoverable since he has a new coach now, and he and Carl are buddies.

BigRedChief
08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I disagree. They can put that all on DV. King Carl has been his buddy since day one. Gunther has backed him since day one. New coach comes in and the first thing he does is tell him he's the man.

No, DV is the fall guy. He stays.

Hog Farmer
08-29-2006, 08:12 AM

You're and Idiot!

LJ's only problem was with Vermeil. He was Petersons pick in that draft and he can be franchised until Hell freezes over. Peterson will eventually give him the contract he will deserve and furthermore Peterson has NEVER lost a player he wants to keep.

Chiefnj
08-29-2006, 08:15 AM
You're and Idiot!

LJ's only problem was with Vermeil. He was Petersons pick in that draft and he can be franchised until Hell freezes over. Peterson will eventually give him the contract he will deserve and furthermore Peterson has NEVER lost a player he wants to keep.

Neil Smith??

Brock
08-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Neil Smith??

If the Chiefs had wanted to keep him, they certainly could have.

htismaqe
08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
If the Chiefs had wanted to keep him, they certainly could have.

At what cost? They gave DT the biggest contract in team history that offseason...

ROYC75
08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
To all things, there is a price too high to pay.......

Brock
08-29-2006, 08:58 AM
At what cost? They gave DT the biggest contract in team history that offseason...

I'm not saying they should have.

htismaqe
08-29-2006, 09:07 AM

OK, just wanting to make sure.

Because I've seen several people here bitch about it.

E@SHSU
08-29-2006, 09:14 AM

But you have to remember the raltionship between DT and Carl. I think Carl woould have given just about anything to keep Derrick in a Chiefs uniform.

I'm not saying that I agree wiht the argument, but CP was never going to turn his back on #58.

P.S. Are they going to retire his jersey? I don;t think it's been done yet

jspchief
08-29-2006, 09:16 AM
P.S. Are they going to retire his jersey? I don;t think it's been done yetThey retired his number in 2001 at the first game after the 9/11 attacks, when we played the Giants.

htismaqe
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
But you have to remember the raltionship between DT and Carl. I think Carl woould have given just about anything to keep Derrick in a Chiefs uniform.

I'm not saying that I agree wiht the argument, but CP was never going to turn his back on #58.

P.S. Are they going to retire his jersey? I don;t think it's been done yet

The same relationship exists between Carl and LJ.

E@SHSU
08-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the update. I live so far away, so I don't get to hear about cool stuff like that. I have to hear about what color Gary Kubiak's socks are today. I can't wait to move up there....

E@SHSU
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
The same relationship exists between Carl and LJ.

That's why I think Larry will stay in KC. Plus, he could become the face of the franchise. Whereas, if he goes somewhere else, Like Indy, for example, he would have to compete to be the top face in that crowd. I think Larry likes the attention of being #1.

Tony's still better looking though.

chiefsfan1963
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Cold Pizza just reported that Gonzo will get a HUGE contract extension that will blow away Gates contract. Good thing we have some cap room.