PDA

View Full Version : Shining moments for Hali, Pollard.

Count Alex's Losses
08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/08/chiefs-shining-moments290806.html

Shining moments for Hali, Pollard

By C.E. Wendler

It was only a preseason game, and it was only two plays.

But they were two of the most exciting defensive highlights Kansas City Chiefs fans have witnessed in years.

Rookie defenders Tamba Hali and Bernard Pollard put on a show under the bright lights in Kansas City this past Saturday, in the Chiefs' 16-12 victory over the St. Louis Rams . Hali started at defensive end and recorded one sack and a forced fumble. Pollard, a strong safety, added four tackles, an interception and another forced fumble.

But actions speak louder than words, and mere stats don't convey the impression that Hali and Pollard made on Saturday.

First up was Hali. He had come close to sacking Rams quarterback Marc Bulger several times already. The first-round pick had rushed from the right and from the left. He had rushed up the middle. And then, with 32 seconds remaining before halftime, it finally happened.

Hali lined up across from Rams left tackle Todd Steussie.

Steussie is a 13-year veteran with 190 games of NFL regular-season experience.

Hali was a rookie playing in his first preseason game.

It didn't matter.

Hali rocketed past Steussie like he was standing in mud. Steussie flailed wildly at the air in a futile attempt to stop him. Bulger pump faked.

And then it was all over.

Hali slapped the football out of Bulger's hand. Defensive tackle James Reed fell on the fumble. The Chiefs had the football, Hali had a sack and 80,000 people sitting in Arrowhead Stadium had Derrick Thomas flashbacks. Roll credits on "Shining Moment No. 1."

Now it was Pollard's turn. He had already grabbed an interception earlier in the game, plucking an overthrown pass out of the air and returning it 19 yards. It was a nice play, but nothing special.

What was special was the play that won the game.

The Rams had stopped the Chiefs' offense with about two minutes left. They had time for one last drive. Sure, it was only a meaningless preseason game, but you know Herm Edwards wanted to win. The Chiefs had lost eight exhibition games in a row since 2004, and were 0-2 this year.

Pollard made sure they wouldn't fall to 0-3.

Rams backup quarterback Gus Frerotte dropped back to pass with about a minute and a half left. Like Bulger had in the first half, Frerotte pumped the ball. That probably told Pollard exactly where he needed to go.

Frerotte flung a pass toward wide receiver Brandon Middleton, who has been in the NFL for one year. Before Saturday, he probably didn't know who Bernard Pollard was. They called him "Bonecrusher" at Purdue.

Middleton caught the ball. A split second later, he caught a human missile right in his chest.

It was only a glancing blow. The force of the collision still sent Middleton pinwheeling as the ball popped into the air. Chiefs cornerback Benny Sapp caught it. Bones crushed. Game over.

Middleton probably still doesn't know who Bernard Pollard is.

But if Saturday's game was a preview of things to come, the whole NFL will know who Pollard and Hali are by season's end.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? Contact C.E. Wendler at cwendler@realfootball365.com

Rain Man
08-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Hali...floats like a hbutterfly, stings like a hbee.

Nice article.

Dartgod
08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Hali had a sack and 80,000 people sitting in Arrowhead Stadium had Derrick Thomas flashbacks.
That's just a little over the top. First off, there wasn't anywere near 80,000 fans in the stands. Secondly, I doubt many had "Derrick Thomas flashbacks" over a single preseason play.

Granted, it was nice to see the rookie get a turnover, but let's see this a few more times before we use Derrick Thomas and Tamba Hali in the same sentence.

jspchief
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Good article.

Too many very short sentences.

Count Alex's Losses
08-29-2006, 08:12 AM
First off, there wasn't anywere near 80,000 fans in the stands. .

ROFL

I know. I didn't know what to say. The "announced attendance" was about 74,000, which I also knew was bullshit.

Dartgod
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
ROFL

I know. I didn't know what to say. The "announced attendance" was about 74,000, which I also knew was bullshit.
Not to mention the fact that half the stadium heads to the restrooms, to have a smoke, etc. well before the clock hits zero. I would wager that there were no more than 50,000 in their seats when he forced the fumble.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Now it was Pollard's turn. He had already grabbed an interception earlier in the game, plucking an overthrown pass out of the air and returning it 19 yards. It was a nice play, but nothing special.

He didn't exactly pluck an overthrown pass out of the air... he grabbed a tipped ball. There's a difference.

Radar Chief
08-29-2006, 08:58 AM
That's just a little over the top. First off, there wasn't anywere near 80,000 fans in the stands. Secondly, I doubt many had "Derrick Thomas flashbacks" over a single preseason play.

Granted, it was nice to see the rookie get a turnover, but let's see this a few more times before we use Derrick Thomas and Tamba Hali in the same sentence.

:shrug: I did. I thought it was very Thomas-esque how he jumped the snap and got up field so fast the tackle tried to trip’im. The only thing Hali missed from get’n a “DT Hat trick” was to jump on the fumble he caused.
Now, I don’t think anyone’s gonna anoint him the next DT just yet, that’ll take several years and Pro Bowl selections, but his quickness certainly reminded me of DT.

patteeu
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Good article Go Chiefs. Where would WPI be without ChiefsPlanet talent? I hope Nick Athan remembers us when he hits the big time. Well, not all the Athan bashing of course, but the fact that we were the Second City to WPI's SNL.

Halfcan
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM

That is what I was thinking 80k??? maybe 30k by half-all the Kansas folks already left to beat the traffic-lol

As far as DT-It was very similar the way he hit Bulger, and then striped the ball.

Great article though!!!!

Moooo
08-29-2006, 12:01 PM

How about Neil Smith flashbacks? :)

Moooo

cdcox
08-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Hali definitely has the quickest first step we've seen in the Red and Gold in a long time. It was evident on several plays in the first half, even before the sack. It's only one preseason game, but if it is any indication, we got a steal.

The Dude Abides
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
That is what I was thinking 80k??? maybe 30k by half-all the Kansas folks already left to beat the traffic-lol

As far as DT-It was very similar the way he hit Bulger, and then striped the ball.

Great article though!!!!
This Kansan stays to the final tick on the clock expires. To much money spent not to.

Pitt Gorilla
08-29-2006, 12:22 PM
I still think Hali's rush where he "hurried" the pass was better than his sack. Hali got to the QB immediately after the ball was snapped.

BigChiefFan
08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Our defense looked better, but let's see it in the real season. Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce didn't even play in that game. Let's keep it in perspective, Wendler.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/08/chiefs-shining-moments290806.html

Shining moments for Hali, Pollard

By C.E. Wendler

It was only a preseason game, and it was only two plays.

But they were two of the most exciting defensive highlights Kansas City Chiefs fans have witnessed in years.

Rookie defenders Tamba Hali and Bernard Pollard put on a show under the bright lights in Kansas City this past Saturday, in the Chiefs' 16-12 victory over the St. Louis Rams . Hali started at defensive end and recorded one sack and a forced fumble. Pollard, a strong safety, added four tackles, an interception and another forced fumble.

But actions speak louder than words, and mere stats don't convey the impression that Hali and Pollard made on Saturday.

First up was Hali. He had come close to sacking Rams quarterback Marc Bulger several times already. The first-round pick had rushed from the right and from the left. He had rushed up the middle. And then, with 32 seconds remaining before halftime, it finally happened.

Hali lined up across from Rams left tackle Todd Steussie.

Steussie is a 13-year veteran with 190 games of NFL regular-season experience.

Hali was a rookie playing in his first preseason game.

It didn't matter.

Hali rocketed past Steussie like he was standing in mud. Steussie flailed wildly at the air in a futile attempt to stop him. Bulger pump faked.

And then it was all over.

Hali slapped the football out of Bulger's hand. Defensive tackle James Reed fell on the fumble. The Chiefs had the football, Hali had a sack and 80,000 people sitting in Arrowhead Stadium had Derrick Thomas flashbacks. Roll credits on "Shining Moment No. 1."

What was special was the play that won the game.

The Rams had stopped the Chiefs' offense with about two minutes left. They had time for one last drive. Sure, it was only a meaningless preseason game, but you know Herm Edwards wanted to win. The Chiefs had lost eight exhibition games in a row since 2004, and were 0-2 this year.

Pollard made sure they wouldn't fall to 0-3.

Rams backup quarterback Gus Frerotte dropped back to pass with about a minute and a half left. Like Bulger had in the first half, Frerotte pumped the ball. That probably told Pollard exactly where he needed to go.

Frerotte flung a pass toward wide receiver Brandon Middleton, who has been in the NFL for one year. Before Saturday, he probably didn't know who Bernard Pollard was. They called him "Bonecrusher" at Purdue.

Middleton caught the ball. A split second later, he caught a human missile right in his chest.

It was only a glancing blow. The force of the collision still sent Middleton pinwheeling as the ball popped into the air. Chiefs cornerback Benny Sapp caught it. Bones crushed. Game over.

Middleton probably still doesn't know who Bernard Pollard is.

But if Saturday's game was a preview of things to come, the whole NFL will know who Pollard and Hali are by season's end.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? Contact C.E. Wendler at cwendler@realfootball365.comSounds more like play by play than an article.

I call them like I see em.

Best advice I can give you about writing is, be yourself. Don't try to do anything special, just communicate the way you communicate.

Rain Man
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
How about Neil Smith flashbacks? :)

Moooo

The proper terms for those is "Neil Smif blastfacts".