PDA

View Full Version : Any runners here?

cookster50
08-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Looking for advice on protection vs dogs when running. A coworker suggested a water gun with a mix of water and 15-20% ammonia. Anyone ever tried that? Anyone have another idea?

TIA

Braincase
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Get a pit and take it running with you.

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Run faster?:shrug:

I ususally go to the HS track to trot and dogs aren't usually a problem there. If you are in town and have one dog in particular bothering you, you might just let your local animal control know. Chances are the do isn't supposed to be loose anyway.

You could always just get some pepper spray. A small can wouldn't be too hard to carry and wouldn't be leaking all over you while you run.

Brock
08-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Pepper spray works very well on dogs.

Frankly, people who don't keep their dogs away from the road deserve to have their dogs shot dead, IMO.

Tatertot13
08-29-2006, 08:27 AM

Frankly, people who don't keep their dogs away from the road deserve to have their dogs shot dead, IMO.

It's not the dogs fault the owner is irresponsible. . . shoot the owner

ZepSinger
08-29-2006, 08:28 AM

You got that right. I get attacked on a public road, at best I call animal control. At worst, the dog's goin' down.

Brock
08-29-2006, 08:28 AM
It's not the dogs fault the owner is irresponsible. . . shoot the owner

The day they make murder legal, I'm with you.

Infidel Goat
08-29-2006, 08:29 AM
I've run for almost twenty years, but I have never really needed it.

Typically if a loose dog runs at me I just slow down (or stop) and slowly walk away from it. Once, a dog was so insistent on following me that I looked at his tags and ran him back to his home. When he saw his house, he ran to his front door as fast as he could--so I guess he was really in need of help finding his way home.

If I lived in an area with lots of loose dogs, I guess I might consider one of the following:

electronic dog repeller (http://www.safetygearhq.com/dogchaser.htm)

or

mace canine repellant (http://www.safetygearhq.com/canine-mace.htm)

--Infidel Goat

ZepSinger
08-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Get a pit and take it running with you.

Braincase, check your PMs...

Z

sedated
08-29-2006, 08:40 AM
get a treadmill? :shrug:

Hog Farmer
08-29-2006, 08:52 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BczAmJLIvhTqiM:http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearmac/img/260-75_small.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearmac/img/260-75_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearmac/add_usp.html&h=256&w=384&sz=44&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=BczAmJLIvhTqiM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSuppressors%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D)

jynni
08-29-2006, 08:57 AM
There's a guy in my neighborhood that always carries a baseball bat while jogging.

If it's a little pipsqueak dog, a handful of gravel will usually make them back off.

cookster50
08-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Animal control won't do anything as early as I run unless the dog bites. There are 2 dogs in particular that I've seen before in the evening running loose and twice in the past 2 weeks they've been out in the morning when I run and have come up to me. So far, no bites, so I'm not sure if they just want to play or attack. So far, the ammonia idea sounds easiest. If a little pipsqueak dog comes after me, I don't care to much because I could kick it a lot harder then it could bite, but these are 2 big dogs that I am worried about. Maybe I'll just stop by the area and knock on a few doors this evening and see if I can find the owner.

cookster50
08-29-2006, 09:07 AM
electronic dog repeller (http://www.safetygearhq.com/dogchaser.htm)

--Infidel Goat

I like that one, going to have to research it a little more and see how effective those things are.

Hog Farmer
08-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Carry a case of beer with you and throw the empty bottles at him as you guzzle them.

ck_IN
08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
A water pistol with half water and half amonia works great. The dogs sensitive noses go overload with the scent of amonia.

The better option though would be to find the owners. If they're running loose then it's a matter of time before they get hit or bite a kid.

Lzen
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM

NJ Chief Fan
08-29-2006, 09:26 AM
run with a bowl of anti-freeze

Skip Towne
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
I ride a motorcycle so the dogs can't catch me.

Rain Man
08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Off the top of my head, it seems like ammonia could damage a dog's eyes if you sprayed them. I don't think you really want to do that.

Pepper spray is portable and cheap. You can get it at a variety of places for under ten bucks. It'll also be useful if a homeless guy tries to throw soup on you.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Bad Dog! Glock 20 with a clip of black tallons? :hmmm:

JimNasium
08-29-2006, 10:01 AM
run with a bowl of anti-freeze Ding, ding, ding we have a winner.

MOhillbilly
08-29-2006, 10:18 AM
how many of you have actually shot and killed a dog?

MOhillbilly
08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
come on you bastards fess up. i wanna know why you would shoot a dog w/ expensive bullets when ballpin hammers are free?

Demonpenz
08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
i've been bitten by a dog once when running. The two that were following me were big and i hit one of them as hard as i could in the face aiming for the nose. I actually cut myself on either above the eye of the dog or a tooth.

Dremel
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Carry a raw T-Bone Steak chuck in the opposite direction run like
hell

cookster50
08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
i've been bitten by a dog once when running. The two that were following me were big and i hit one of them as hard as i could in the face aiming for the nose. I actually cut myself on either above the eye of the dog or a tooth.
Was this before or after the bite?

Demonpenz
08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Was this before or after the bite?

it was after and i make up so much shit on here but this story was true i wish i still had the PR to scan it because it had a funny quote on here. I Used to live on st joe avenue in st joe which had alot of white trash people with dogs and they would run at me all the time i also got shot in the neck with a paint ball gun just walking. The meth heads of st joe are worse than kansas city most times.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
leave out the ammonia and just do water first, then try the ammonia if that doesn't work.

Or take a can, fill it with uncooked beans and shake it at them. If they haven't attacked you yet, they probably won't.

Brock
08-29-2006, 12:09 PM

I have. I loved that damn dog.

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 12:25 PM

Several in fact. Some of the stuff you get asked to do when you are a pastor.:shake: I also had several as a result of living right off a country blacktop road. People have this idea that the country is a perfect place for their dog and that those nice people in that house over there probably want the dog and since they aren't home, we'll just leave the dog and drive off.

.22 is all you need if you know what you are doing. Do it right and the dog won't even bleed. 'Course I can also tell you from experience that a .22 cartridge loaded with birdshot will NOT kill a little ol' weiner dog.

greg63
08-29-2006, 12:27 PM
I ran track and cross country in high school. Now I only run when chased.

Phobia
08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm what you might call a short distance runner. I've never encountered any dogs on the basepaths, so I'm afraid my advice is worthless. If it were my ankles, I think I'd take along a bowl of antifreeze.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Several in fact. Some of the stuff you get asked to do when you are a pastor.:shake: I also had several as a result of living right off a country blacktop road. People have this idea that the country is a perfect place for their dog and that those nice people in that house over there probably want the dog and since they aren't home, we'll just leave the dog and drive off.

.22 is all you need if you know what you are doing. Do it right and the dog won't even bleed. 'Course I can also tell you from experience that a .22 cartridge loaded with birdshot will NOT kill a little ol' weiner dog.

sounds pretty ministery of you, just like something Jesus would do.
:rolleyes:

cookster50
08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm what you might call a short distance runner. I've never encountered any dogs on the basepaths, so I'm afraid my advice is worthless. If it were my ankles, I think I'd take along a bowl of antifreeze.
Shoot Phoebe, the only time you ever run is when you are out of beer and there is only one left at the corner liquor mart and your neighbor is headed there also.

StcChief
08-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Carry a case of beer with you and throw the empty bottles at him as you guzzle them.
ROFL ROFL

Phobia
08-29-2006, 03:46 PM

I don't want to be hasty, but this sounds an awful lot like judgment to me.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't want to be hasty, but this sounds an awful lot like judgment to me.

if you only knew

Bwana
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM

I take it you have never lived in the country?

Jilly
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
I take it you have never lived in the country?

I'm not getting into this....

Phobia
08-29-2006, 03:55 PM
You're already in it.

redbrian
08-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I have. I loved that damn dog.

you shot old yeller, you bastard.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
sorry I passed the judgement, I was so wrong. Jesus shot dogs all the time, i'm sure.

Phobia
08-29-2006, 04:00 PM
You can't take potshots at Mike, beg off, and then misdirect. I'm guessing Jesus liked dogs very much. I mean, they weren't allowed to eat pork.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm not getting into this....

Baaa! You don't have to answer, after reading this:

"leave out the ammonia and just do water first, then try the ammonia if that doesn't work.

Or take a can, fill it with uncooked beans and shake it at them. If they haven't attacked you yet, they probably won't."

may I be so bold as top guess the answer is no?

Fito is coming after you, what! Yes, ready to take a steak out of you and by your logic, you whip out the trusty water bottle and nail him, if it doesn't stop him, you seem to think one would have time to get after him with the ammonia / water combo.............and if that doesn't do the trick, whip out the old "uncooked beans and shake it at him." Wow :spock:

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:04 PM
You can't take potshots at Mike, beg off, and then misdirect. I'm guessing Jesus liked dogs very much. I mean, they weren't allowed to eat pork.

EWWwwww, Phobia!! That's disgusting! Jesus wasn't Chinese. (oh, that was wrong....I'm sorry)

I just can't stand the whole gun argument and country argument and ammendment rights, etc. That's what I didn't want to get into.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Baaa! You don't have to answer, after reading this:

"leave out the ammonia and just do water first, then try the ammonia if that doesn't work.

Or take a can, fill it with uncooked beans and shake it at them. If they haven't attacked you yet, they probably won't."

may I be so bold as top guess the answer is no?

Fito is coming after you, what! Yes, ready to take a steak out of you and by your logic, you whip out the trusty water bottle and nail him, if it doesn't stop him, you seem to think one would have time to get after him with the ammonia / water combo.............and if that doesn't do the trick, whip out the old "uncooked beans and shake it at him." Wow :spock:

Honestly, a dog is in the vicinity of a runner and the first thought is, "take a gun out and shoot it?" That's a great world we live in...so far, guns have solved all of our problems, every single one of them.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Honestly, a dog is in the vicinity of a runner and the first thought is, "take a gun out and shoot it?" That's a great world we live in...so far, guns have solved all of our problems, every single one of them.

If you were talking about my first post, it was a fricken joke. One woudl have a hell of a time running with a Glock 20. I would however take that route in the event of an attack rather than "shake a can of beans" at it. :spock:

Phobia
08-29-2006, 04:11 PM

If a dog were attacking me, I'd take all the tea I could find and dump it into Boston Harbor.

seclark
08-29-2006, 04:16 PM
If a dog were attacking me, I'd take all the tea I could find and dump it into Boston Harbor.
you'd prolly dress up like an indian first.
sec

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:16 PM
If you were talking about my first post, it was a fricken joke. One woudl have a hell of a time running with a Glock 20. I would however take that route in the event of an attack rather than "shake a can of beans" at it. :spock:

I didn't think we were talking about an attack...but rather a few dogs hanging around a neighborhood. I'm sensitive to this issue, I'll admit. Two of my friends have had their dogs shot in the past 2 months because of someone's overreaction. In both cases, it could have been prevented with a dog treat.

seclark
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I didn't think we were talking about an attack...but rather a few dogs hanging around a neighborhood. I'm sensitive to this issue, I'll admit. Two of my friends have had their dogs shot in the past 2 months because of someone's overreaction. In both cases, it could have been prevented with a dog treat.
dog treats get kinda soggy in my shorts when i'm running.
sec

Bwana
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
The first line in this thread kind of gives it away.

"Looking for advice on protection vs dogs when running."

I really don't think he is to worried about dogs in the general vicinity of the given hood unless they plan to take a steak out of his leg.

Bwana
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Especially if a large hairy beast is trying to eat you.
:p

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Animal control won't do anything as early as I run unless the dog bites. There are 2 dogs in particular that I've seen before in the evening running loose and twice in the past 2 weeks they've been out in the morning when I run and have come up to me. So far, no bites, so I'm not sure if they just want to play or attack. So far, the ammonia idea sounds easiest. If a little pipsqueak dog comes after me, I don't care to much because I could kick it a lot harder then it could bite, but these are 2 big dogs that I am worried about. Maybe I'll just stop by the area and knock on a few doors this evening and see if I can find the owner.

I guess this is the post I read. My guess is, if the dogs wanted to attack, they already would have. So it seems to me, the dogs are just around, not exactly posing a threat, but just being near and being big.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Especially if a large hairy beast is trying to eat you.
:p

I'm used to a large hairy beast (I don't mean a dog or any animal either) eating me, I guess that's why I'm not threatened!! HAAAA!!!!

Bwana
08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm used to a large hairy beast eating me, I guess that's why I'm not threatened!! HAAAA!!!!

:eek:

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
:eek:

see edited version....I typed it and then thought, eek....

Just for further explanation which makes the joke no longer funny - the big hairy beast is the fiance, only because he is bigger, and has hair...argg, that went horribly wrong!

MOhillbilly
08-29-2006, 04:35 PM
see edited version....I typed it and then thought, eek....

Just for further explanation which makes the joke no longer funny - the big hairy beast is the fiance, only because he is bigger, and has hair...argg, that went horribly wrong!

are you a dude?

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:37 PM
are you a dude?

yikes, no.

MOhillbilly
08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
yikes, no.

prove it.

Jilly
08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
prove it.

My favorite movie is Hope Floats

Phobia
08-29-2006, 04:56 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA - chick has a sense of humor for sure.

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
come on you bastards fess up. i wanna know why you would shoot a dog w/ expensive bullets when ballpin hammers are free?ROFL

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 05:45 PM
:rolleyes:who said he was Jesus?

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
sorry I passed the judgement, I was so wrong. Jesus shot dogs all the time, i'm sure.How else is He going to keep dog heaven full?

Calcountry
08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
You can't take potshots at Mike, beg off, and then misdirect. I'm guessing Jesus liked dogs very much. I mean, they weren't allowed to eat pork.Jesus was cruel to pork, He sent them swine into the water to drown, all full of Demons.

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM

It's not necesarily something I enjoy but when someone asks, and there's a legit reason to put the dog down, I'll put it down for them. But then again, I'm sure you'd rather let a dog suffer and die a slow and miserable death instead of a quick and painless end (and yeah, it's painless 'cause where I place the bullet it is faster than instant).

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 06:28 PM
I just can't stand the whole gun argument and country argument and ammendment rights, etc. That's what I didn't want to get into.

Then why did you venture into the subject in the first place?

(I'm guessing she'd have a SERIOUS problem with our prairie dog outings then)

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 06:29 PM
How else is He going to keep dog heaven full?

ROFL ROFL

cookster50
08-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I guess this is the post I read. My guess is, if the dogs wanted to attack, they already would have. So it seems to me, the dogs are just around, not exactly posing a threat, but just being near and being big.

You have 2 strange big dogs come chasing after you and barking like mad and then tell me that they aren't posing a threat.

I talked to one of the owners yesterday, she completely lied to me, but now I know who to sue if these dogs do decide to take a bite out of me. I honestly just think they were being dogs and just wanted human attention, not a bite, but it is better to be safe than sorry!

Bob Dole
08-30-2006, 07:19 AM

Oddly enough, so did the crap Bob Dole left this morning.

Jilly
08-30-2006, 09:36 AM
It's not necesarily something I enjoy but when someone asks, and there's a legit reason to put the dog down, I'll put it down for them. But then again, I'm sure you'd rather let a dog suffer and die a slow and miserable death instead of a quick and painless end (and yeah, it's painless 'cause where I place the bullet it is faster than instant).

I'm sorry. I didn't get that that was the scenario from your post. My bad. I don't know you, so that was unfair of me and I don't know who your parishioners are. So I apologize.

As far as the gun/ammendment/etc. argument, that was not my intent in saying what i said. My statement came from some discouragement I have in understanding what is Christian and what is not Christian behavior.

Jilly
08-30-2006, 09:37 AM
You have 2 strange big dogs come chasing after you and barking like mad and then tell me that they aren't posing a threat.

I talked to one of the owners yesterday, she completely lied to me, but now I know who to sue if these dogs do decide to take a bite out of me. I honestly just think they were being dogs and just wanted human attention, not a bite, but it is better to be safe than sorry!

Again, I didn't get that from your original post or the one that I quoted later on.... I didn't get that they were chasing after you and/or barking like mad. I'm sorry.

Phobia
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry. that was unfair of me So I apologize.

That's Christian behavior, I think. I mean, I'm no expert or anything but I think you just put on a pretty good display.

dtebbe
08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Looking for advice on protection vs dogs when running. A coworker suggested a water gun with a mix of water and 15-20% ammonia. Anyone ever tried that? Anyone have another idea?

TIA

I think a knife with a 4" blade would work nicely, as long as you don't run in white shoes.

DT

PastorMikH
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry. I didn't get that that was the scenario from your post. My bad. I don't know you, so that was unfair of me and I don't know who your parishioners are. So I apologize.

As far as the gun/ammendment/etc. argument, that was not my intent in saying what i said. My statement came from some discouragement I have in understanding what is Christian and what is not Christian behavior.

Not a problem Jilly.

(Darn, I was really hoping to have som fun with this today.):)

Lzen
08-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Were their dogs running loose? If so, it could have been solved by the owners being more responsible for their pets.

cookster50
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Again, I didn't get that from your original post or the one that I quoted later on.... I didn't get that they were chasing after you and/or barking like mad. I'm sorry.

That's cool.

greg63
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
I love this thread. ROFL