PDA

View Full Version : SSL on my website...

jAZ
08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
So I an account with a hosting provider (micfo.com) and with it I get a reseller account that lets me host up to 6 domains (using WHM to create each of the 6 accounts and cpanel to administer each of the 6 accounts).

One of the accounts I host needs an oscommerce site setup and I've done that, but I need it to be SSL protected so that I'm not sending open credit card information across the net.

Anyway, I purchased an SSL from a 3rd party and followed the steps in cpanel to obtain and try to install it. It didn't seem to work and I asked my hosting provider for help. Their front line support didn't seem to really understand how this stuff works anymore than I do... and at one point they came back to me and said that because I was on a shared server (or account) I would need to upgrade to a dedicated IP address.

I'm *ok* with that if I *need* to do this, because it's only $12/year... but I get the feeling that they don't know what they are doing (as is often the case with frontline tech support) and that they are just tossing out a "try this" idea. And since this idea involves me spending money, I want to know that it's the correct step.

So my question is... when working in a shared hosting environment with a domain that is hosted WITHOUT a dedicated IP address, will a 3rd party SSL work properly, or...

Do I need to pay for the dedicated IP for it to work?

jAZ
08-29-2006, 07:12 PM
So I was poking around on google and eventually came across someone who said that you don't *technically* need a dedicated IP to use a dedicated SSL certificate... but the software that makes it possible is very expensive and most hosting companies don't have it.

So I just bought the dedicated IP and well go from there.

Simplex3
08-29-2006, 09:47 PM
SSL certs are supposed to be assigned to dedicated IPs, otherwise it's easier to fake who you really are. It's always a good idea to have a dedicated IP for any domain that will have an SSL cert.

KC Jones
08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
You will also need to get a CA to sign your certificate which will cost you and take some time. You could use a tool like OpenSSL to sign your own certificate, but then users would get warnings about an unknown CA and have to approve it.