PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards Vs. Mike Solari??

Deberg_1990
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Interesting tidbit from the Star this morning. It will be a very interesting to watch Hermyball Vs. Air Saunders Jr. this season. Hopefully these two will be on the same page once the season starts. I wonder if Solari was forced upon Herm by you know who?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15385166.htm

Fine-tune the play-calling. Edwards and offensive coordinator Mike Solari aren’t thinking as one yet. The head coach was upset at the play calls at two junctures of Saturday night’s win over the Rams.

The first came near the end of the first half. The Chiefs were at the St. Louis 27 in the final seconds when Solari ordered rookie quarterback Brodie Croyle to try two deep passes.

One was incomplete. The other drew an offensive interference penalty on another rookie, Jeff Webb.

The penalty pushed the Chiefs to the edge of Lawrence Tynes’ range. Tynes made a 50-yard field goal but, in the opinion of Edwards, the penalty could have pushed them out of his range.

“You don’t make (50-yard kicks) on the road,” Edwards said. “You won’t make that 50-yard field goal in December when it’s cold.

“We took two shots at the end of the half. You don’t need to do that. It’s 13-3 and you’ve got a chance to make it 16-3 and we’re messing around trying to throw another touchdown pass. A lot of bad things can happen to you. It can be intercepted; That didn’t happen. You can get sacked; That didn’t happen. You can get (offensive) pass interference; That happened.”

Later, Solari had another developmental quarterback, Casey Printers, drop back to pass on third and 2 when the Chiefs were trying to protect their four-point lead and kill the clock as it approached 2 minutes left in the game.

Printers was sacked and the Chiefs had to punt, giving the Rams the ball one last time.

“In a real game, you want to have the ability to close them out,” Edwards said. “The (Rams) shouldn’t get the ball back. The game should be over, and you shouldn’t have to punt.

“There are still a lot of things we have to do a lot better if we’re going to be the type of team we can be. All of those things count. All of those things matter. These coaches will understand my mind-set might be a little bit different than it used to be.”

Reerun_KC
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Who gives a crap what Hermie Wants? I know I dont! I applaud Solari for "Airing it out" and not getting all Marty Ball on us.

Herm Blows, "It’s 13-3 and you’ve got a chance to make it 16-3 and we’re messing around trying to throw another touchdown pass." Uh Hell yeah you stupid a$$hole. OF course you try to score a touchdown, WTF are U thinking Hermie? What moron wants to settle for a field goal? You try to score, then if it fails you kick, not vica versa!

Gawd this guy sucks.. I think someone needs to start a www.fireEdwards.com Website soon!

Bob Dole
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
If Herm indeed dislikes the playcalling, he should have pretended to support it so opposing defenses would be expecting the risky approach once the regular season arises.

Or maybe he really doesn't have a problem with it and just wants other teams to think we're going to be more conservative.

It's all so confusing.

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Herm needs to relax a bit on this one. He's not used to this offense the way Solari is. In fact, he's never been around an offense that is this good. Had all the starters been in there, those plays would have resulted in a TD. Herm, TRUST your offense. They are the only part of this team that hasn't been letting us down for the last 4 years. They will get the job done.

Now, if Solari listens to Herm in the regular season, we're going to go conservative and just run the ball in these situations, I see several things happening. It causes much needed time to run off the clock, TOs have to be burned then to stop the clock. Ds will lock onto the run and stuff the run. We'll end up settling for FGs instead of TDs and lose the game by 3.

Bill Parcells
08-29-2006, 09:03 PM
“You don’t make (50-yard kicks) on the road,” Edwards said. “You won’t make that 50-yard field goal in December when it’s cold.

“We took two shots at the end of the half. You don’t need to do that. It’s 13-3 and you’ve got a chance to make it 16-3 and we’re messing around trying to throw another touchdown pass. A lot of bad things can happen to you. It can be intercepted; That didn’t happen. You can get sacked; That didn’t happen. You can get (offensive) pass interference; That happened.”

why did he air the laundry out to the press???

under the bus goes solari

PastorMikH
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
The thing that conserns me the most with Herm is that I am afraid we will get a 7 pt lead in the second quarter and he will shut things down and put the game in the D's hands.

Personally, I like what Cinnci did last night to Green Bay. Keep scoring and put the game away. We need to do that. Not necesarily run up the score, but definately put it away while we are on a roll.

Reerun_KC
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
under the bus goes solari

Crap the bus isnt even moving yet, and Herpes is throwing his coaches under it already..

Cant wait until the games count and his stupid antics cost us. Obviously they will, they did in NY.

Reerun_KC
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
The thing that conserns me the most with Herm is that I am afraid we will get a 7 pt lead in the second quarter and he will shut things down and put the game in the D's hands.

Personally, I like what Cinnci did last night to Green Bay. Keep scoring and put the game away. We need to do that. Not necesarily run up the score, but definately put it away while we are on a roll.

That is a legit concern. I have been worried about his passive Marty approach all T/C and Pre-season.

Lets just hope he is alittle like Tony Dungy and not Marty.

I guess we will see when the season starts. I think he has to remember he cant sit on a lead with the D. No matter how big it is!

cdcox
08-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I hope Solari hits Herm in the back of the head with a rock.

noa
08-29-2006, 11:43 PM
I think this is stupid because if Solari had made that call with the 1st string, it would have been fine. The pass may have been incomplete, but it most likely wouldn't have been a penalty for offensive pass intereference, so we still would have been in the field goal range. It was second string, so Herm should just chill out and let Solari do his thing.

Guru
08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Crap. I was sooo happy about our offense in the first half and now this. Here comes Marty. I have been trying not to say it but if Herm is going to take this to the press and call out his coaches then he needs to go.

wazu
08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Herm Edwards was a horrible hire, and he can't even wait until his first regular season game to prove it.

greg63
08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Crap. I was sooo happy about our offense in the first half and now this. Here comes Marty. I have been trying not to say it but if Herm is going to take this to the press and call out his coaches then he needs to go.

I don't have a problem with Herm expressing concern or dislike for the play calling; I just think it's better served doing so to his coaches in private and not to the media.

wazu
08-30-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't have a problem with Herm expressing concern or dislike for the play calling; I just think it's better served doing so to his coaches in private and not to the media.

I have a problem with the content. He basically just announced that his overriding philosophy is to play "not to lose". He's not a smart man. This philosophy will haunt us throughout his entire tenure.

noa
08-30-2006, 12:32 AM

I completely agree. It almost makes me think its a ploy to trick our opponents into thinking we'll be conservative. Why else would he possibly say this to the media?

wazu
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I completely agree. It almost makes me think its a ploy to trick our opponents into thinking we'll be conservative. Why else would he possibly say this to the media?

Hmmm...maybe because he is a f#cking idiot?

ChiefFan31
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
That is a legit concern. I have been worried about his passive Marty approach all T/C and Pre-season.

Lets just hope he is alittle like Tony Dungy and not Marty.

I guess we will see when the season starts. I think he has to remember he cant sit on a lead with the D. No matter how big it is!

I will crack the F up the day I see Trent Green waving the punt team back off the field during a crucial 4th down during some game this year LMAO

greg63
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
I have a problem with the content. He basically just announced that his overriding philosophy is to play "not to lose". He's not a smart man. This philosophy will haunt us throughout his entire tenure.

True, but still yet expressing this in private to the coaches at least gives the coaches the opportunity to explain their play calling. I'm not arguing in favour of Herms mind set; I just think it was a poor decision to go to the media with these thoughts.

milkman
08-30-2006, 12:47 AM
WE'RE DOOOOMED!!!!!

KCChiefsFan88
08-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Herm needs to use Tony Dungy going to the Colts as his guide for how to handle the situation he inherited with the Chiefs.

Work your magic on the defense and leave the offense alone.

Guru
08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
I've got a bad feeling about this!

greg63
08-30-2006, 01:08 AM
WE'RE DOOOOMED!!!!!

ROFL

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!

sedated
08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
maybe if they ran the ball at the end of the half more, we wouldn't have had the f*ck-ups against Houston, Seattle, etc.

picks at the end of the half cost us games.

not that I want our offense to shut down, I'm just sayin'

ROYC75
08-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Knowing Herm's record .......... Knowing how Solari wants to continue the show ...........

I'm having a hard time about how this offense is going to go.......... I'm affraid we will slowly go the Herm way as the season goes. Each time something happens, Herm will lash out and become more conservative.

I only wish that AS of had the balls to stay and have CP tell Herm to keep yur hands off the offense.

Herms comments about not touching the offense is a cover up, he turned around and said, howSB did they win, how many playoff games ?

Now to take it to the press is to undermind your OC, inability to keep it within the house. This is scary to me.

ROYC75
08-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Herm needs to use Tony Dungy going to the Colts as his guide for how to handle the situation he inherited with the Chiefs.

Work your magic on the defense and leave the offense alone.

CP hasn't told Herm that the offense was hands off yet.......... Herm, you have complete controll of the ship.

I'm affraid we are going to b a remake of Gilligan's Island.

wolfpack0735
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Hermy will keep the offense looking like martyball and he will lose games. by then thefans and hopefully queen carl will have enough and Hermy Willbe told to take the leash of the offense. I just hope it isnt to late before he realizes he screwed up. I ts just hard to think someone is lame brain enough to screw with a #1 offense.

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
herm is gonna run LJ to the ground, were gonna have to find a new back by next year

cdcox
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
htis: you've been feeding us the optimistic "everything is fine" line for more than 5 years now. It sounds very reasonable, and I've basically eaten it up. No more. Every season, the sky does in fact come crashing on our heads. Maybe you've been hit in the head by the falling sky so many that you are just too numb to know it is happening any more. I'm getting out front on the doom and loom this time, so when it smashes me to smitereens, I know full well what is happening.

:D

htismaqe
08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
htis: you've been feeding us the optimistic "everything is fine" line for more than 5 years now. It sounds very reasonable, and I've basically eaten it up. No more. Every season, the sky does in fact come crashing on our heads. Maybe you've been hit in the head by the falling sky that you are just too numb to know it is happening any more. I'm getting out front on the doom and loom this time, so when it smashes me to smitereens, I know full well what is happening.

:D

Actually that's not true.

I just happen to give guys benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

I defended Vermeil tooth and nail until midway through the 2003 season.

And I'll do the same for Herm.

If he comes out in the regular season and does what everybody says he's gonna do, then MAYBE I might get worked up about it. Until then, why bother?

Besides, if you have ZERO HOPE for the upcoming season, why watch?

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Besides, if you have ZERO HOPE for the upcoming season, why watch?

very true, my favorite college team is ranked second in the nation, but im still looking more forward towards the chiefs and im not expecting much from them this year

DJJasonp
08-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Nothing like telling the entire NFL what we're going to do at the end of halves in every game this year....

Welcome back predictability!

cdcox
08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
My contention is that Herm plays not to lose and that this mentality is emperically incorrect and indefensible. I use as evidence not only what he says in the press, but also from the 2004 playoff run, where Marty out-Martied him against the Chargers, before Herm blew a very winnable game against the Steelers, again by being too conservative at the end of the game.

I still have hope for the season. I think the defense could actually be quite good by the end of the season. I'm hopeful that Herm will instill a little more toughness to the road mentality of the team. We could win it all, but if we do, I think it will be despite an incorrect philosophy with regard to game situations that involve clock, score, and field position.

ROYC75
08-30-2006, 10:38 AM
ROFL

When Herm says "I want to run the ball 10 more times per game" it's ****ing gospel, to be taken literally, as a sign that he's going to run our offense into the ground.

But yesterday, when he said we SCREWED UP by kicking field goals instead of scoring TD's on 2 separate occasions in the Rams game, nobody even notices.

No wonder Petro thinks Chiefs fans are a bunch of morons.

Most NFL fans are morons ....... they only believe what they
WANT to see .

But we all know that Herm does have alot of Martyball instilled into him . This along with the history of clock management doesn't give most of us non - moron fans a good feeling about his comments that he will not change this offense. I expect some change, how much is yet to be determined. His comments when asked about the offense was a ( IMHO ) a cover up because he chimmed in about how many SB's we won or how many playoff games. Kinda like, I have won a playoff game, I know what works .

I hope he does ............ I'm not convinced he was the best choice at this time. Time will tell ..........

MahiMike
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Yup. Now you guys know why us Al Saunders/Dick Vermiel fans cried so hard the day they left. We saw the end of a glorious era being replaced by an ugly one. It was like divorcing Kathy Bates (Marty), dating Uma Thurman(DV) for 5 yrs only to be dumped and having to settle for Oprah(Herm). ouch! Sorry for the visual...

Count Alex's Losses
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
What a joke.

The Dick Vermeil era was far short of glorious. We didn't accomplish SHIT.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Hopefully these two will be on the same page once the season starts. i don't .... i hope they fight each other the entire season eading to a balanced offensive attack.

ROYC75
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Yup. Now you guys know why us Al Saunders/Dick Vermiel fans cried so hard the day they left. We saw the end of a glorious era being replaced by an ugly one. It was like divorcing Kathy Bates (Marty), dating Uma Thurman(DV) for 5 yrs only to be dumped and having to settle for Oprah(Herm). ouch! Sorry for the visual...

Damn, did you have to be so damn direct about it........... ROFL

cdcox
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Don't kid yourself. DV's reign was a failure becuase everyone in the NFL knew what the problem was for 4 years and he and his guys were unable to fix it. Sauders made his share of mistakes with respect to playcalling in various clock, field position, score situations. The opposite of error is is not right, it is the opposite error. There needs to be a balance.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Most NFL fans are morons ....... they only believe what they WANT to see
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/931/handmirroren6.gif

Brock
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM

Yeah, Uma Thurman with half her face eaten off by maggots. Keep her turned the right direction, she looks great.

milkman
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.madlantern.com/clipart/clips/glamour/hand-mirror.gif

I don't want to see a red x.

milkman
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Uma Thurman with half her face eaten off by maggots. Keep her turned the right direction, she looks great.

Nice! :thumb:

Baby Lee
08-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Yup. Now you guys know why us Al Saunders/Dick Vermiel fans cried so hard the day they left. We saw the end of a glorious era being replaced by an ugly one. It was like divorcing Kathy Bates (Marty), dating Pamela Anderson (DV with VD) for 5 yrs only to be dumped and having to settle for Oprah(Herm). ouch! Sorry for the visual...
FYP

Being the world's punkass-bitch on defense for 5 years is not my particular vision of 'glorious.'

But if you're into that scene, go ahead and grab DV's pants pocket . . . WAIT!!! No, eff that. If you're into that scene, go root for some other loser franchise and let us get a defense back.

Woodrow Call
08-30-2006, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=MahiMike]Yup. Now you guys know why us Al Saunders/Dick Vermiel fans cried so hard the day they left.[QUOTE=MahiMike]

Cried? Hell I cheered. DV and Saunders brought the Chiefs nothing at all. Being #1 in offense means nothing. DV failed and it was time for a change.

keg in kc
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
But if you're into that scene, go ahead and grab DV's pants pocket . . . WAIT!!! No, eff that. If you're into that scene, go root for some other loser franchise and let us get a defense back.Hopefully Herm brings what Marty and Vermeil didn't. Balance.

Because if the defense comes back and the offense goes, the end result will be the same as it's been for more than a decade: no wins that mean anything.

Baby Lee
08-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Hopefully Herm brings what Marty and Vermeil didn't. Balance.

Because if the defense comes back and the offense goes, the end result will be the same as it's been for more than a decade: no wins that mean anything.
Marty's regular season O's were middle of the road.
So which is it.
The problem with post-season [lack of] success if due to Marty pulling into his shell.
Or do we require a top 5, high flying O to have any hope of success.
I guess I just don't get what you're saying by 'the offense goes.' Are you envisioning some form of 32-O? Are you saying any dropoff at all on O will be disastrous. Because I gotta tell you, you don't lose Roaf, Priest and Richardson and have no dropoff anywhere. Is it your position that Marty's teams could NEVER have won in the playoffs, no matter what the in game decisions?

BL - puzzled.