PDA

View Full Version : Windows Shutdown to save 'puter - Now won't start

ToroGuns
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>Was downloading the free demo of FSX when blue screen appeared saying windows (http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=305894#) had shutdown to protect my computer.

It would not turn off, so I pulled the battery (Dell 9200) and the power cord (http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=305894#).

Now computer will not start at all. Lights blink and hard drive (http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?p=305894#) light glows steady for a few seconds, and then nothing but black screen.

Anyone have a fix for me to get it running again? What the heck happened?

Thanks...

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Put the battery back and plug it back in.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Now seriously... is the computer ON, but just can't see anything or after the lights blink does the whole thing go dead again... basically, can you hear the power supply fan running?

If the fan is running, double check to make sure you didn't accidentally bump your monitor cable. Sounds stupid, I know... but the first rule in tech support -- make sure it's not an I-D-10-T error first.

KcMizzou
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Mine kept freezing on the windows load screen. I couldn't run a restore either. Turned out I had a virus that had gotten into the partition (which kept me from being able to restore)

I took it to a repair shop, and they reloaded the OS. Cost me 2 days and $75.

DaFace
08-30-2006, 10:33 AM
If you blue-screened, then can't turn it back on, you've got some sort of hardware issue. Pulling the battery and putting it back in may help, but I doubt it. You might have overheated or something, so you might let it sit for a couple hours then try it again.

When the lights blink, do they blink like it's starting up normally (and you can't see what's going on), or do they just blink a few times then stop?

Good luck. This one's either going to be really simple or a real PITA to fix.

ToroGuns
08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
If you blue-screened, then can't turn it back on, you've got some sort of hardware issue. Pulling the battery and putting it back in may help, but I doubt it. You might have overheated or something, so you might let it sit for a couple hours then try it again.

When the lights blink, do they blink like it's starting up normally (and you can't see what's going on), or do they just blink a few times then stop?

Good luck. This one's either going to be really simple or a real PITA to fix.

I just tried again to start it after a rest and it fired up and got to the Welcome screen before freezing. The little lights blinked as usual.

I unplugged it and tried again... This time during startup a message on the screen said it was doing a One Time boot (I missed the rest) and a page came up to reset the internal clock, but it froze again before I could read everything on the page.

I unplugged again and now it's back to before, the little lights stay steady for about 10 seconds and it shuts itself down again. Nothing sounds like it's running before the lights go out.

??????????

DaFace
08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Yikes. It's tough to say for sure, but you COULD have a MAJOR hardware issue goin on - motherboard or CPU.

About the only thing I know to tell you is to try and eliminate the possibility of overheating. Get some canned air and blow out all of the air ducts and fans to make sure that it's being cooled properly. If that doesn't help, you're probably going to have to have it checked out by someone.

Moooo
08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
My HP exhibited the same symptoms and it was a hard drive. Can you get into your MB setup on the boot? If not, I don't know what to tell you. From there you could try cold booting from your Windows CD.

If you can't get that far, I really don't know what to tell ya, other than when you put back in your battery something happened which isn't allowing it to get power from it.

Moooo

JBucc
08-30-2006, 07:10 PM
what's FSX?

ToroGuns
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
what's FSX?

Flight Simulator 10

JBucc
08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Flight Simulator 10Oh cool.

Guru
08-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Flight Simulator 10
Pirate

Fried Meat Ball!
08-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Have you tried to start in a safe mode, by chance? That would clear up whether or not it's hardware v. software problem.

DaFace
08-31-2006, 11:27 AM
From what I understand, he's not getting it far enough into the boot process to even POST, let alone get options to get into safe mode.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
From what I understand, he's not getting it far enough into the boot process to even POST, let alone get options to get into safe mode.
I thought he said a couple of times he got it up to the Windows start screen... maybe I misunderstood. It's likely hardware anyway.

ToroGuns
08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I thought he said a couple of times he got it up to the Windows start screen... maybe I misunderstood. It's likely hardware anyway.

OK, I've gotten to safe mode twice now and each time the same blue screen eventually comes up and the computer freezes.

I just tried the Last Known Good and it still went to the blue screen. Somthing about a Page error in a non-page area, whatever that means.

I'll keep trying until Dell comes up with a great price on a new one.

I'm letting it set now for an hour before trying it again...

Also - I blew out a lot of dust/lint in the grill underneath the laptop used for the fan. Don't know if this was what allowed me to get to safe mode or not.

JBucc
08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
I had hardware issues on my desktop that I had been using for a while. First the motherboard f'd up so I ordered a new one from newegg and since I was getting a new one I decided to get a new PCIE graphics card with it which meant I needed a new psu because the one I had was only about 300W. Anyway when I tried to put the CPU in I dropped it and bent a few of the pins so I had to order a new one of those, then the PSU I bought messed up and killed my pretty much all the rest of my internal components so I just decided to **** it all, sent everything back and bought a notebook. Good luck with yours.

ToroGuns
08-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Latest Blue Screen says " DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL "

Also earlier during debug the Volume was Dirty.

Moooo
08-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Latest Blue Screen says " DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL "

Also earlier during debug the Volume was Dirty.

I'm telling you, this sounds like a hard drive malfunction...

Moooo

DaFace
08-31-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm telling you, this sounds like a hard drive malfunction...

Moooo

Could be, but it's unlikely. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors are due to a piece of hardware not talking to the computer properly. It can be due to a faulty driver (due to hard drive corruption), but that wouldn't explain the fact that it sometimes won't POST.

I noticed that a guy on your other site recommended disconnecting the hard drive. That's probably good advice. The laptop should boot with no drive attached. If it doesn't, the drive's not the problem.

If you really want to check the hard drive out get a hold of some sort of Windows XP boot CD. Boot to the CD, press "R" at the first screen to go into the recovery console, and run the "chkdsk /r" command. That will run a full diagnostic on the hard drive. I doubt you'll make it through it, though.

ToroGuns
09-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Could be, but it's unlikely. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors are due to a piece of hardware not talking to the computer properly. It can be due to a faulty driver (due to hard drive corruption), but that wouldn't explain the fact that it sometimes won't POST.

I noticed that a guy on your other site recommended disconnecting the hard drive. That's probably good advice. The laptop should boot with no drive attached. If it doesn't, the drive's not the problem.

If you really want to check the hard drive out get a hold of some sort of Windows XP boot CD. Boot to the CD, press "R" at the first screen to go into the recovery console, and run the "chkdsk /r" command. That will run a full diagnostic on the hard drive. I doubt you'll make it through it, though.

I found this drive on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/zgzzl

If it is the drive, is this one OK?

Thanks

DaFace
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I found this drive on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/zgzzl

If it is the drive, is this one OK?

Thanks

Yes, but so would any other drive. Laptop hard drives are basically universal prior to around a year ago (when they switched to SATA). You don't need to find one specifically made for your machine. Everything in this list (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380+1035907889&Subcategory=380&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=) would work.

unlurking
09-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Before buying new hardware, you really should test to find out what might be the problem. Most vendors provide diagnostic tools either on a hidden partition or the restore CDs.

If you can't find anything from Dell (call and ask even if out of warranty), try something like http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/.

Personally, I would be more worried about the memory than the HDD. Faulty memory often displays symptoms of other hardware failures.

ToroGuns
09-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks to all for your help...

One way or the other I'll get that thing fixed or buy a new one.

chief2000
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Hard drive.

Download a boot disk and check your computer out.

google ultimate boot disk. Pretty cool version of it out there with windows feel.

DaFace
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Toro, please make sure and post back here if or when you determine what the problem is. It REALLY doesn't sound like a hard drive to me, but I'm apparently in the minority. I just don't see why how a bad hard drive could be causing a no-POST situation. Anyway, let us know what happens.

ToroGuns
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Toro, please make sure and post back here if or when you determine what the problem is. It REALLY doesn't sound like a hard drive to me, but I'm apparently in the minority. I just don't see why how a bad hard drive could be causing a no-POST situation. Anyway, let us know what happens.

I just tried it again and now nothing. The fan comes on but no screen whatsoever. It doesn't even show a second of screen time. It's done this for the last 10 times I've tried it.

I've been waiting for screwdrivers to arrive so I can get out the drive but think it'll be to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

ToroGuns
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I finally pulled the HD and it still will not POST.

Don't know what else to do...

DaFace
09-05-2006, 05:39 PM
As I suspected earlier, you're dealing with some major hardware failure. Unfortunately, I don't have many suggestions other than taking it in somewhere to have it checked out. Sorry, man.

ToroGuns
09-06-2006, 06:35 AM
As I suspected earlier, you're dealing with some major hardware failure. Unfortunately, I don't have many suggestions other than taking it in somewhere to have it checked out. Sorry, man.

Well, screw it!

I pulled the trigger and bought a new Dell E1705 this morning.

Last night I got to the opening Dell screen and hit F8 and I got this screen message. There was a horizontal cursor blinking but it wouldn't do anything and the only way out of the screen was to turn off the machine.

Here's what it said:

"Windows NT has not found enough extended memory. 7MB of extended memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer."

I have plenty of room on the hard drive to have downloaded a demo of FSX. I have 1Gig of memory with a 40Gig drive. I'm also running WinXP Home edition.

I wish I could figure this out so I can sell it to offset the cost of the new one...

DaFace
09-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Not that this is what you want to hear, but you can probably get at least something for your laptop by selling it for parts on eBay. I've gotten up to a couple hundred for completely dead laptops. Basically, just sell it "as is" or "for parts or repair only."

Click on this link for a list of completed eBay auctions (http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=laptop+parts+or+repair&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=66801&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D2) like the type I'm talking about.

phisherman
09-06-2006, 08:43 AM
noone has suggested that he try a new memory stick?

"driver irq not less or equal" blue screens can often be attributed to a bad stick of memory

bp

DaFace
09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
noone has suggested that he try a new memory stick?

"driver irq not less or equal" blue screens can often be attributed to a bad stick of memory

bp

Heh. Good point. It's certainly worth a try. I got so caught up with the people screaming hard drive that I didn't even think about it. :doh!:

FWIW - if you pull your memory, you SHOULD get some sort of "beep code" if the memory is the problem. If you pull your memory and nothing changes, chances are it's something else. However, I have seen lappys that don't beep at all, so the best solution would be to find a replacement chip and try it out.

I sometimes buy parts for testing from your nearest office supply or electronics, then return them if they don't work. Make sure you know their return policy if you do that, though.

ToroGuns
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your help...

Well, it was the memory stick! I'm responding on the Dell now... of course it wasn't the 256 stick, it had to be the 1 gig one.

Unfortunately my new 1705 is arriving tomorrow and I don't know whether to refuse it and probably get stuck with the return shipping cost or keep it and sell this one.

Again, thanks for all your help... I hope the Chiefs play well against Denver
next Sunday, but not too well.

P.S. I didn't know there were more responses till just now and noticed that I had 2 pages!