PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a CELLPHONE?

Jenson71
08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Or am I the only one?

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Nope. You're the only one. Don't worry, I'm sure your parents will let you have one soon. :p

StcChief
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I know alot of people that refuse to get one.

Rain Man
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Do you carry around a regular phone and then find a phone jack when you need to make a call?

Jenson71
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Nope. You're the only one. Don't worry, I'm sure your parents will let you have one soon. :p
:deevee:

morphius
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't know if I would have one if work didn't make me.

Cochise
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
The question should be, who still has a land line?

NJ Chief Fan
08-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Do you carry around a regular phone and then find a phone jack when you need to make a call?
ROFL

Iowanian
I don't know too many, and even my grandparents now have one.

I think today, its a good idea to have one, even if its only for emergencies like a car breakdown. The tracphone of very low end accounts aren't that expensive.

Jenson71

I have gotten along fine without it. I'm probably more isolated (intentionally) than others my age. It seems just like another monthly cost, that I really don't need.

I don't have high profile contacts in Colorado's government and mafia, like you do, Rain Man.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Not me. I was debating about getting rid of mine when Sprint charged me $10 to add " & Kim" to my listing in the phone book. Told them they could refund the $10 or lose my account. They said there was nothing they could do. I asked them, "Are you seriously willing to lose a $25 monthly account for a $10 charge?" Apparently they were. I told them I had been debating losing the land line for some time and they just helped me make my decision. Cut it at the end of my bill cycle.

morphius
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
:deevee:
Though, if you had vonage you could basically do that, just have to find an internet connection and take your router with you.

KcMizzou
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't have one. I really don't like to talk on the phone anyway. I get enough of that at work.

The only reason I would get one, would be in case of car trouble, or something like that.

DaFace
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Not me. I was debating about getting rid of mine when Sprint charged me $10 to add " & Kim" to my listing in the phone book. Told them they could refund the $10 or lose my account. They said there was nothing they could do. I asked them, "Are you seriously willing to lose a $25 monthly account for a $10 charge?" Apparently they were. I told them I had been debating losing the land line for some time and they just helped me make my decision. Cut it at the end of my bill cycle.

Wow...that's pretty pathetic considering how SprintPCS goes to keep your service. If you're not under contract and call to "cancel," they'll send you to their "retention" department whose sole responsibility is to offer you better and better plans until you say you'll keep your service. Weird that there's such a disconnect between that and their land-line service.

Fire Me Boy!
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow...that's pretty pathetic considering how SprintPCS goes to keep your service. If you're not under contract and call to "cancel," they'll send you to their "retention" department whose sole responsibility is to offer you better and better plans until you say you'll keep your service. Weird that there's such a disconnect between that and their land-line service.
I was absolutely amazed they we willing to lose $25 per month for $10 one time. That falls under the category "monumentally stupid."

burt
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Me either.....

Lzen
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Me. I have a land line and cell phone. But I have dsl. I don't know if I could keep dsl and get rid of land line. Also, satellite that requires phone line or they charge you more. Plus, with 3 kids that we sometimes leave at home, I want to be sure they have a phone.

Rain Man
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
They'll make it up by charging you a $600 "service disconnection fee" and then siccing a collection service on you.

We're redoing our business account now, and under no circumstances will we consider our current provider. I kid you not, this is an actual true story about Eschelon Telecommunications, the second-most inept and corrupt phone company on the face of the planet. We discovered that they were overcharging us on our bill by about $50 a month or thereabouts. It was clearly a mistake, and they didn't deny that it was their mistake. However, they pointed to a clause in their 2,000-page service contract that says that they get to keep any accidental overcharges if we don't catch it within 90 days. So they flat-out told us, "Yeah, we overcharged you, and no, we're not giving it back."

I told them the same thing. We spend more than $500 a month with them, and I didn't think they wanted to create the bad word of mouth when they know that they aren't entitled to the stolen money. But they insisted that they keep the money.

Just in case the Google spiders come by, let me offer some more bad word of mouth.

Eschelon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Eschelon Telecommunications is a bunch of thieves.
Don't ever sign a contract with Eschelon Telecommunications.
Eschelon Telecommunications stole money from me.

And to protect people who can't spell in the event that Google stops by...

Eshelon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Echelon Telecommunications is a bunch of thieves.
Eschalon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Echelon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Eshelon Telecommunications stole money from me.

Iowanian
08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
So what you're suggesting bRainman, is that Eschelon Communications are a horde of money thieving rat bastards who actively and admittedly STEAL money from their top shelf customers of good standing?

Thats a very crappy way for Eschelon Communications to treat their customers. People should really reconsider doing any business with the unethical corportation known as Eschelon Communications.

Baconeater
08-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I wish I didn't have one as I despise the damn things, but since I often work outside or in vacant houses I simply have to have one in case of an emergency.

Bwana
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I do, but there a MANY days I wish I did not. There are times I get so tired of that thing ringing I will go off on a rant when it does ring before I answer it. I can feel my blood preasue rising on the first ring. The problem is, 95% of the time it is the same guy I work with with some problem he needs help with. Most of the time, it is a "problem" so simple, a trained monkey could figure it out. There are also days I will jsut shut the thing off and say enough screw it. Cell phones have their advantages, but they also make great things to bounce off the wall on avery bad day. :p

Bill Parcells
08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't know if I would have one if work didn't make me.
ditto!!!

Rain Man
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
So what you're suggesting bRainman, is that Eschelon Communications are a horde of money thieving rat bastards who actively and admittedly STEAL money from their top shelf customers of good standing?

Thats a very crappy way for Eschelon Communications to treat their customers. People should really reconsider doing any business with the unethical corportation known as Eschelon Communications.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying about how Eschelon Telecommunications has unethical business practices, and how Eschelon Telecommunications steals money from their customers. I will never use Eschelon Telecommunications again due to their unethical business practices. Unethical and illegal business practices, Eschelon Telecommunications has.

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Still haven't gotten one.

Had one 3-4 years ago, for a year....didn't use it much at all. And I found them more annoying than anything. As our kids get older, we'll probably have to bite the bullet and get one....to keep track of them and their activities.

Cave Johnson
08-30-2006, 12:39 PM

I got no love from Sprint's retention dept. My phone broke after 1 year and the maximum rebate they would give me on a new phone was $75. And they just offered me the same widely available plans.

cdcox
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't have one.

My wife and daughter do, and my wife thinks it would be good if I had one too. If I eventually cave to the pressure (doubtful) we'll ditch the land line.

Cave Johnson
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Me. I have a land line and cell phone. But I have dsl. I don't know if I could keep dsl and get rid of land line.

Probably not right now, but that option is coming. Even when it's available, I doubt the money whores at Eschelon Telecommunications will offer this option.

phisherman
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
i have to carry one for work, but i don't pay for it...

99% of the time i hate that damn thing

Robo-Chachi
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I used to have a personal one, then got rid of it when my last job issued me one. I probably averaged about 20-40 phone calls per day. It wasn't 8-5 either. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week I would get calls. I quit that job a year ago and have had no desire to pick up another cellphone since.

big nasty kcnut
08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't have one i need to but the deposit is 1500 dollars.

Iowanian
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Its absolutely baffling to me why a company, such as the unethical business practicing, Eshcelon telecommunications would have such blatant disregard for the feelings and financial well being of its long term customers of good standing.

Thanks for the information. If I ever find myself residing or doing business in the Denver area, I'll be sure to seek other companies to fill my telecommunication needs as its apparent Eschelon Communications is completely failing its customer base, and unworthy of my business as well.

I'd rather attain the services of Skiptowne's smoke Signal Communication Services, INC. (SssCS, INK)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying about how Eschelon Telecommunications has unethical business practices, and how Eschelon Telecommunications steals money from their customers. I will never use Eschelon Telecommunications again due to their unethical business practices. Unethical and illegal business practices, Eschelon Telecommunications has.

Inspector
08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I have no cell phone.

I do have a land line phone. It seems to work just fine for my telephoning purposes.

And, I'm a cheapskate. Cell phones and the service fees are too expensive for me. Because, you know, I'm a cheapskate.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I have gotten along fine without it. I'm probably more isolated (intentionally) than others my age. It seems just like another monthly cost, that I really don't need.

I don't have high profile contacts in Colorado's government and mafia, like you do, Rain Man.You do have an answering machine then, right?

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Though, if you had vonage you could basically do that, just have to find an internet connection and take your router with you.So you could just take your laptop, and clearwire with you to any A/C plug.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Me. I have a land line and cell phone. But I have dsl. I don't know if I could keep dsl and get rid of land line. Also, satellite that requires phone line or they charge you more. Plus, with 3 kids that we sometimes leave at home, I want to be sure they have a phone.Why do you think phone companies came out with DSL so cheaply? Because they KNEW there would be no demand for land lines without them.

Gonzo
08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Here's my phone, (company supplied). It's an amazing piece of technology. I hate the fuggin thing. I have to answer it at all times no matter what.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
They'll make it up by charging you a $600 "service disconnection fee" and then siccing a collection service on you.

We're redoing our business account now, and under no circumstances will we consider our current provider. I kid you not, this is an actual true story about Eschelon Telecommunications, the second-most inept and corrupt phone company on the face of the planet. We discovered that they were overcharging us on our bill by about $50 a month or thereabouts. It was clearly a mistake, and they didn't deny that it was their mistake. However, they pointed to a clause in their 2,000-page service contract that says that they get to keep any accidental overcharges if we don't catch it within 90 days. So they flat-out told us, "Yeah, we overcharged you, and no, we're not giving it back."

I told them the same thing. We spend more than $500 a month with them, and I didn't think they wanted to create the bad word of mouth when they know that they aren't entitled to the stolen money. But they insisted that they keep the money.

Just in case the Google spiders come by, let me offer some more bad word of mouth.

Eschelon Telecommunications is a bunch of thieves.
Eschelon Telecommunications stole money from me.

And to protect people who can't spell in the event that Google stops by...

Eshelon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Echelon Telecommunications is a bunch of thieves.
Eschalon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Echelon Telecommunications will rip you off.
Eshelon Telecommunications stole money from me.So let me get this straight, Eschelon Communications is a really bad company? Sounds like you should start a thread about what a terrible company Eschelon Communications is?

I never heard of Eschelon Communications before, but I will never forget what you said about Eschelon Communications.

DanT
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't have a cell phone. I'll probably get one in the upcoming year, but I'm in no rush.

wolfpack0735
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
i dont have one,dont want one. then i very seldom get the landline when it rings. if the kids dont answer it and its importat they`ll call back. the kids have one each but they pay for them their selfs. but then again i remember when your phone had a dail on it,not push button.

Rain Man
08-30-2006, 04:15 PM
i dont have one,dont want one. then i very seldom get the landline when it rings. if the kids dont answer it and its importat they`ll call back. the kids have one each but they pay for them their selfs. but then again i remember when your phone had a dail on it,not push button.

If the phone rings, how do you know if it's a normal call versus someone calling back about something important?

Eschelon Telecommunications steals from their customers.

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Me. I have a land line and cell phone. But I have dsl. I don't know if I could keep dsl and get rid of land line. Also, satellite that requires phone line or they charge you more. Plus, with 3 kids that we sometimes leave at home, I want to be sure they have a phone.
Directv won't charge you more for not having a phone hookup, sucker.

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I only have a landline (and DSL). I have a fax machine I use every day and that requires a landline. Rainman, you should take that phone company to court. Stealing is illegal and putting it in the contract does not make it legal. If it did doctors would just put up big signs that say they are not responsible for malpractice. Also, you could post their email addy and we could all send them obscene emails.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Or am I the only one?

i didnt have a phone for pretty close to 10 years,not because i couldnt but because i didnt want one.

i wanna see peoples(girls) faces when they lie to me...

Rausch
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I ****ing hate them, and wouldn't have any kind of phone at all if not for DTV.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2006, 04:50 PM

i wouldnt have a tv if not for the Chiefs.

old_geezer
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Don't have a cell phone; don't want one, and probably never will. I get cranky when my regular phone rings when I'm home.

Damn right; I'm a cranky old geezer and a hermit to boot.

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
You don' need a phone to have Directv. It's optional.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
i dont have one,dont want one. then i very seldom get the landline when it rings. if the kids dont answer it and its importat they`ll call back. the kids have one each but they pay for them their selfs. but then again i remember when your phone had a dail on it,not push button.I remember and old lady, back in the day may she rest, who had a metal dial on her phone. Heavy sucker, and if you dialed it too hard, it would almost cut your fingers.

Skip, now, he remembers when they invented phones.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
You don' need a phone to have Directv. It's optional.What if I want DVR, is it optional then?

HMc
08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Apparantly here i Oz we have the 2nd highest rate of mobile ownership in the world after japan or something.

Not only do i have one (in fact i have two) but outside of my 85 yr old grandparents i don't know ANYONE who doesn't have one.

Hydrae
08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Don't have one, don't want one. But then again, I recognize that I am not that important that I need to be immediately accessible to people.

Yes, I have a land line. Just dumped DSL this week, we will see how long until we go VoIP and dump the evil that is AT&T once and for all.

Guru
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't know too many, and even my grandparents now have one.

I think today, its a good idea to have one, even if its only for emergencies like a car breakdown. The tracphone of very low end accounts aren't that expensive.

Net10 here. STill rely on the the land phone for everyday calls though.

JBucc
08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
All I have is a cell. Well I pay for landline with the housing fees but I don't use it.

chiefs4me
08-30-2006, 07:31 PM
my whole family has cell phones, with school and work and practices and games here and there....I would go crazy without one..

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
What if I want DVR, is it optional then?
Yes. It used to be you couldn't activate a DVR without a phone but not any more.

Jenny Gump
08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
My dad doesn't have one. He's hilarious. My mom has one, but no one really knows the number, cause she doesn't use it. Pisses my dad off....he tries to call her, but he gets that message that the customer is not available. Cracks me up how he gets pissed at her and bitches about it. She doesn't even know her own number. She claims she has it in case of an emergency, but she works 3 miles from home and never goes anywhere. I'm drunk.

alanm
08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I know alot of people that refuse to get one.
I already have a land line at home. I see no reason to incur another phone bill. Besides I don't want anyone to be able to reach me at a moments notice anyway. I just don't have need for one. Personally I don't see why anyone feels deprived if they don't have one. :shrug:

Jenny Gump
08-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I already have a land line at home. I see no reason to incur another phone bill. Besides I don't want anyone to be able to reach me at a moments notice anyway. I just don't have need for one. Personally I don't see why anyone feels deprived if they don't have one. :shrug:

Hi Dad.

alanm
08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
I have no cell phone.

I do have a land line phone. It seems to work just fine for my telephoning purposes.

And, I'm a cheapskate. Cell phones and the service fees are too expensive for me. Because, you know, I'm a cheapskate.
Cheapskate is such a harsh word. I prefer fiscally prudent. :)

Skip Towne
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Dad.
Shut up, you're drunk.

whoman69
08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Hell, I got nobody to call on my home phone. Why would I need another expense for something I'll never use. Besides I hate all the jerks going 10 mph below the speed limit talking on their stupid phones instead of paying attention to their driving.

alanm
08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi Dad.
Hey.. Get your ass home your Mother's pissed at you. And what the hell did I tell you about hanging around with the Nasium guy!! :harumph:

Jenny Gump
08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Shut up, you're drunk.
I love it when you talk like that.

Jenny Gump
08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey.. Get your ass home your Mother's pissed at you. And what the hell did I tell you about hanging around with the Nasium guy!! :harumph:

But he's a magic man......

Jenny Gump
08-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Hell, I got nobody to call on my home phone. Why would I need another expense for something I'll never use. Besides I hate all the jerks going 10 mph below the speed limit talking on their stupid phones instead of paying attention to their driving.

What's your number? I will call you RIGHT now... no kidding.

ChiefsFire
08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
What's your number? I will call you RIGHT now... no kidding.
ohhhhh

phone sex?

Psyko Tek
08-30-2006, 09:47 PM
got a company supplied text pager, and my own cell
the pager is worse , I work in a clean room and gotta type on a 2x3 keyboard when people wanna talk to me

with gloves on