PDA

View Full Version : How to raise a child to have a sense of humor?

jAZ
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
So the wife and I are having a kid. It occured to me that one of the traits of both a good kid and a good adult is one that seems to have a good sense of humor. That can laugh at themselves. It seems that it would greatly impact the ability for a kid to have good selfesteem as well.

I've googled around a little and read a few things that suggest that a sense of humor is more a product of nurture rather than nature. That's it's a learned attribute to a large degree.

Any thoughts on good ways to try to instill a sense of humor in a child?

Rain Man
08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
My parents showed me reruns of Green Acres and then burned me with an iron if I didn't laugh at the funny stuff.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
most kids know when the icecream truck is coming

Infidel Goat
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I watch the old Looney Toons with my kids.

Per Rain Main, I guess I should drop an anvil on them if they don't laugh at the appropriate parts.

Really, though, I'm just trying to instill in them my deep rooted hatred for Tweety Bird and Granny . . .

--Infidel Goat

cookster50
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Antifreeze?

Mr. Kotter
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Having him/her read your posts would do the trick.... ;)

BucEyedPea
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Children learn what they live.

Laugh a lot, have fun...and they will too.

Count Zarth
08-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Show them Jim Carrey movies.

JohnnyV13
08-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Sometimes i think this is hard for a parent to do, b/c a parent has to enforce dicipline. That ultimately colors the relationship, b/c you have the power to "take away" stuff from the kid.

With my nephews, "Uncle John" is the smartass and keeps up a running stream of comments. I think kids learn a "sense of humor" simply by being around people who have a sense of humor. For example I had my nephews in my house for one weekend when their parents were away when they were small. They would keep saying "uncle john, I need help". After a few times of hearing this I answered, "I'm sorry, but i'm not a psychiatrist".

Now, i DID have to explain this comment to the younger one who was 6 at the time. Later I heard from my sister that he had used this on his teacher at school when she told him to help out in some class related project.

The teacher cracked up to hear this from a 6 year old.

big nasty kcnut
08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Make him watch blazing saddle, history of the world part 1, animal house and other funny movies.

Ari Chi3fs
08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
play with them a lot. Make a lot of goofy faces and funny noises with them... tickle them. And when they are a baby, put them in a Johnny JumpUp.

Also, doing activities that they can easily excel at really help their self-esteem.

But, playing with them, and lots of kisses and hugs, and Zerberts... and tickles...

and both my kids are two of the most happiest funniest kids... we get comments on their happy demeanor all the time.

Ari Chi3fs
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
You know... **** it.

Just install the SenseHumor Pack V2.1 that should work out.

HemiEd
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Any thoughts on good ways to try to instill a sense of humor in a child?

I would suggest starting with good conservative breeding stock for parents. :D

Dartgod
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Make him watch blazing saddle, history of the world part 1, animal house and other funny movies.Yeah, Animal House is a great movie for a small child.

Larry's evil conscience: **** her. **** her brains out. Suck her tits, squeeze her buns. You know she wants it.

stevieray
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Talk about politics everyday.

big nasty kcnut
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Well i was ten when i saw that movie so my sense of humor is good.

chagrin
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I watch the old Looney Toons with my kids.

Per Rain Main, I guess I should drop an anvil on them if they don't laugh at the appropriate parts.

The classic Looney Tunes as well, the new ones suck ass.

Iowanian
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
You might as well just name the child Iowanian, now.

Tatertot13
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Fart around them a lot

Phobia
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Tell them you're voting for Hillary. They'll have no choice but to laugh.

Ecto-I
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Sense of humour I think is largely something one is born with, however, I think if you demonstrate this trait around your kids, poking fun at yourself, and making light hearted jokes, as well as boosting their self esteem, they could turn out pretty humourous!

jAZ
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Whatever it takes... it seems this dad did something right.

:)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjXi6X-moxE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjXi6X-moxE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
LMAO

FAX
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Laugh around them. That's the secret, Mr. jAZ.

FAX

Redrum_69
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Tell them Phobia used to work for $500 bucks at WPI...and now GoChewbacca took his place

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 12:28 PM
You could always teach him to flip off liberal reporters, that one always cracked me up.

Redrum_69
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Tell them about the time that America almost DIDNT ban pitbulls...

That will get an old kneeslap

Easy 6
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjXi6X-moxE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjXi6X-moxE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thats awesome.

seclark
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
... poking fun at yourself...

winner
sec

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Tell them about the time that America almost DIDNT ban pitbulls...

That will get an old kneeslap

Or show him the beasteality flicks featuring Redrum's mom. That get's everyone howling.

KC Dan
02-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Make the child a Chiefs fan and watch their playoff games on tape. That's good for a laugh or cry or two.

J Diddy
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I already accomplished this.

My 4 year old son decided to put glue all over the toilet seat, the end result he glued my roommates ass to the toilet.

It doesn't get any better than that.

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Make the child a Chiefs fan and watch their playoff games on tape. That's good for a laugh or cry or two.

We don't want to give the kid manic depression right out of the gates. It's bad enough that he will have to compete with his dads legacy of playing every position on the field and being a CEO of several companies when he's not posting here.

Hog Farmer
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Tell your kid there are people out there that actually get paid to jerk off a 1000 pound boar hog.

CoMoChief
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Make sure to get pissed at him when he gets "out" in tee ball.

Mile High Mania
02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, you're likely going to raise the kid to be a Chiefs' fan... so, just by nature of that fact... the kid will develop a sense of humor (of sorts) in due time. It's the only way to get by...

jAZ
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
We don't want to give the kid manic depression right out of the gates. It's bad enough that he will have to compete with his dads legacy of playing every position on the field and being a CEO of several companies when he's not posting here.
It's Billionaire with a "B".

jAZ
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Tell your kid there are people out there that actually get paid to jerk off a 1000 pound boar hog.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
It's Billionaire with a "B".

LMAO My bad.

Mile High Mania
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
That video of the baby is the funniest damn thing... I suggest saving that and if you're ever having a crappy day, then just play that video.

Kids are great. Vido of the Year!

bogie
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM

That is spectacular.

bogie
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM

ROFL Anyone that does that for a living has to have a great sense of humor. At the very least you have a lot of great material.

Hog Farmer
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
It's really not funny. That shit burns when it gets in your eyes!

Sully
02-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Why are you using your mouth?

Redrum_69
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And I bet your mom helps you by not letting any drop on the ground

Hog Farmer
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Here son I have your college already lined up http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/porkpage/repro/pubs/basic2.htm

bogie
02-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Take Norms advice and use protection, or point it away from your face.

Sully
02-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Here son I have your college already lined up http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/porkpage/repro/pubs/basic2.htm
Always allow the boar to complete his ejaculation (5-8 minutes). If you let loose too soon, be prepared for a challenge. He will not want to leave the dummy. You will make this mistake only once or maybe twice.

Adept Havelock
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Expose him/her to Mel Brooks at an early age.

Iowanian
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually having a sense of humor yourself would probably help.

I think joking with them, having fun in general and leading by example by using humor to sluff off adversity would affect them.

Some kids will be really, really good at throwing temper tantrums.

Buck
02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Just make fun of them their entire childhood, that shoud work.

AZORChiefFan
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
When I was little (under 5) I'd get up at night and watch Johnny Carson after my parents went to bed. I didn't really understand what was so funny on the show I just knew I wanted too understand. So I just paid attention. Later in life when cable came into my life I would watch stand up comedians, and so on. My parents would even allow me to watch R Rated comedies as long as they were in the room. (Of course I watched em whenever I was alone too).

I'd also get to stay up and watch SNL back in it's glory days. Mainly for Mr Bill. But seeing the other skits I got some of the jokes or at least thought I did.

I guess just exposure to funny movies or stand up at an early age will help.

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
The big key is to laugh at yourself and encourage them to laugh at themselves when they do dumb s**t. I'm constantly watching my kids do really dumb s**t and then saying to them, jokingly, "that wasn't very smart, huh?", followed by a laugh and maybe a tickle. They get it.

jAZ
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
The big key is to laugh at yourself and encourage them to laugh at themselves when they do dumb s**t. I'm constantly watching my kids do really dumb s**t and then saying to them, jokingly, "that wasn't very smart, huh?", followed by a laugh and maybe a tickle. They get it.
I don't know why, but of all the advice, this seems to make the most sense.

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't know why, but of all the advice, this seems to make the most sense.
It's because I'm a f**king genius. You should take my advice more often. :)

Cochise
02-06-2007, 05:17 PM
You've just got to not take life too seriously, I think they will pick up on that.

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Give your child a miserable life, and/or make it fat.

This will provide insecurity, as well as bitterness or a jolly disposition, all of which are wonderful bedrocks for a good sense of humor.

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 05:21 PM

This will provide insecurity, as well as bitterness or a jolly disposition, all of which are wonderful bedrocks for a good sense of humor.

Is that what happened to you?

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Is that what happened to you?
That or his mom dropped him. A lot.

bogie
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Sadly, probably true.

Rain Man
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Slightly off topic, but have you ever watched another person who is watching a movie? It's really kind of interesting, especially if it's a comedy. They're just sitting there staring raptly ahead of them, and you can see the anticipation on their face that they're expecting something funny. Their eyebrows are slightly lifted and their mouths are usually agape a bit (to facilitate the forthcoming laughter), and then, lo and behold, something funny happens. They break out into a big grin and out come these funny sounds, "uhuhuhuhuh", and then they go back to the enraptured stare. For reasons I haven't yet understood, it's more fun to watch when the person is kind of stupid, too. My working theory is that there's more delight there because they think they're getting the joke, even if they laugh at the wrong times.

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Translation: Stupid people are hilarious.

Cochise
02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Slightly off topic, but have you ever watched another person who is watching a movie? It's really kind of interesting, especially if it's a comedy. They're just sitting there staring raptly ahead of them, and you can see the anticipation on their face that they're expecting something funny. Their eyebrows are slightly lifted and their mouths are usually agape a bit (to facilitate the forthcoming laughter), and then, lo and behold, something funny happens. They break out into a big grin and out come these funny sounds, "uhuhuhuhuh", and then they go back to the enraptured stare. For reasons I haven't yet understood, it's more fun to watch when the person is kind of stupid, too. My working theory is that there's more delight there because they think they're getting the joke, even if they laugh at the wrong times.

I noticed yesterday that I tend, when something tense is going on during a tv show, to listen to the talking but stare blankly away from the screen.

I think I would have been happier than most people in the age of radio shows.

Joie
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Just let them be kids. They lose their sense of humor when they have to grow up too fast. Enjoy spending time with them, play, and laugh alot. The sense of humor will develop from that.

RJ
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
My 3 y/o daughter pulled one of her favorite jokes tonight. She hung all her monkeys from her barrel of monkeys on the back of my computer chair before I sat down......then she says "daddy, there's something on your chaiiiir...". Then I say, "hey, what the heck are all these monkeys doing on my chair??!! Who put these monkeys on my chair??". Let me tell you, that never fails to bring the house down. Classic comedy.

I also have 2 sons, 27 and 28. They both have a great sense of humor, fun guys to be around. I'd like them both even if they weren't my boys.

Just keep it silly and fun and don't take yourselves too seriously. If you have fun with them they'll have fun with you. Kids are really enjoyable to have around. My little one has put so much joy into my life by making me be silly again. I've even dragged my guitar out from the closet after almost 20 years for sing-along stuff.

Just have fun, the kid will follow along.

stevieray
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
My 3 y/o daughter pulled one of her favorite jokes tonight. She hung all her monkeys from her barrel of monkeys on the back of my computer chair before I sat down......then she says "daddy, there's something on your chaiiiir...". Then I say, "hey, what the heck are all these monkeys doing on my chair??!! Who put these monkeys on my chair??". Let me tell you, that never fails to bring the house down. Classic comedy.

I also have 2 sons, 27 and 28. They both have a great sense of humor, fun guys to be around. I'd like them both even if they weren't my boys.

Just keep it silly and fun and don't take yourselves too seriously. If you have fun with them they'll have fun with you. Kids are really enjoyable to have around. My little one has put so much joy into my life by making me be silly again. I've even dragged my guitar out from the closet after almost 20 years for sing-along stuff.

Just have fun, the kid will follow along.

Exactly. We all get opportunities everyday to bring laughter into our homes and lives...being able to laugh at yourself is a great life lesson for your kids.

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
My 3 y/o daughter...I also have 2 sons, 27 and 28.
Uh, have you figured out what is causing that and how to stop it yet?

Halfcan
02-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Children learn what they live.

Laugh a lot, have fun...and they will too.

Yep there is much laughter in the Halfcan household. Ttoday we took a bike ride and had a blast.

RJ
02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Yep there is much laughter in the Halfcan household. Ttoday we took a bike ride and had a blast.

That's a great thing about children, they get you to do things that you might not otherwise, like take a bike ride. This weekend we're going to the circus.....highly doubtful we'd do that if we didn't have our daughter. Same with the going to the zoo, seeing kid's movies....so many ways a child enriches your life......and of course so many ways a child drives you nuts, but that's another story.

SLAG
02-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Some where this last week my 4 year old picked up on the... "Made You look"

Son: Dad... Look there is an ICE CREAM ON THE CEILING

me: ((looks))

Son: MADE YOU LOOK!!

hahahah

son: I crack me up

Rain Man
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
That's a great thing about children, they get you to do things that you might not otherwise, like take a bike ride. This weekend we're going to the circus.....highly doubtful we'd do that if we didn't have our daughter. Same with the going to the zoo, seeing kid's movies....so many ways a child enriches your life......and of course so many ways a child drives you nuts, but that's another story.

I went to the circus when I was a little kid, and it was great. I just sat in a chair, and they paid me money.

Bwana
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM

ROFL

Joie
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
The circus is a great idea. I still remember my first circus. We took the kids several months ago. The looks in their eyes was priceless.

RJ
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I went to the circus when I was a little kid, and it was great. I just sat in a chair, and they paid me money.

Are you sure it wasn't the fair? Was the chair sitting over a water tank? Were people paying money to throw baseballs at a target?