PDA

View Full Version : Maybe your kids will get the Elway treatment too..

vailpass
08-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Think there's any pressure on this poor kid???

Another Elway catches spotlight
Hall of Famer's son named Cherry Creek's starting quarterback

By Scott Stocker, Rocky Mountain News
August 31, 2006

Starting at quarterback . . . No. 7 . . . Elway.

Haven't heard that in a while?

It will be heard tonight at All City Stadium, where Jack Elway - son of You Know Whom - will be the starting quarterback for seventh- ranked Cherry Creek High School, which will be playing its season opener against Montbello.

John Elway, the Broncos' Hall of Fame quarterback, will there for the 6 p.m. kickoff. There's no way he could be kept away.

"I'm excited for him, but nervous for him," Elway said. "I'm glad I can be there for him and let him know that I understand what he's going through. I'm real excited. And I know he's excited about it, too.

"But I also know what it's like to start your first (high school) game, to be in that situation and be the quarterback. . . . It's traumatic because it's your first start. You've battled for the job and all of sudden, you're the starter. Now it's like, 'OK, now I've got to go out and perform.' "

The younger Elway has performed well during the preseason, beating out Mullen transfer Collin Silva for the starting job this week.

"Right now, Jack will start for us," Cherry Creek coach Greg Critchett said. "We wanted to settle on one of the boys instead of putting them in a rotation. We will go with Jack. He has been doing good things for us through the summer practices, and he knows how to run our offense."

Jack Elway, a junior, took a few snaps at quarterback last season while backing up all-state honorable mention Kelsey Sokoloski. This will be much different.

"I definitely realize there is going to be a lot of pressure," Elway said. "I just want to go out and play like I know I can and forget all the pressure that is on top of me right now.

"I want to wake up Friday morning with a win under my belt and say, 'I'm glad that one is over with, let's get going on the rest of the season.' "

Elway has discussed his situation with his father but does not feel any pressure in this respect.

"When Dad and I talk, it is usually about football now," Elway said. "He gives me advice where to look at the defenses and such. I'm very excited, but I'm very nervous, too. I know that after this first game I will be comfortable."

Is John Elway worried about the media scrutiny?

"Just give him a chance to establish himself - he's never started a varsity game before," Elway said. "I want him to be able to be a kid and enjoy his high school years."

shakesthecat
08-31-2006, 10:28 AM
What? No live TV broadcast?

cookster50
08-31-2006, 10:28 AM
screw that

ImAWalkingCorpse
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
I hope he fails miserably.

Robo-Chachi
08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
He'll have tons of pressure. He'll also have a much better chance at getting a scholarship if he plays decently than most kids. Of course, I doubt Elway's kids really need scholarships.

AZORChiefFan
08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe Jr threatened to play baseball if he didn't get to start?

Rain Man
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I think he's actually in the Green Mountain School District, but he threw a fit and refused to play for them and forced a transfer to Cherry Creek.

Jenson71
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
A kid who goes to my college went to high school with him. This kid played football and is a tightend now. He said little Elway "sucks", so take that for whatever it's worth.

greg63
08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Probably ridin daddy's coat tails.

Hound333
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
He's always gonna suck because of who his dad is. Kind of like Jordan's son will never be considered good. You can't live up to the name when the name is an icon.

(not that I like Elway. I mean lets face it he was a donkey. I just respect the skills)

vailpass
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
He's always gonna suck because of who his dad is. Kind of like Jordan's son will never be considered good. You can't live up to the name when the name is an icon.

(not that I like Elway. I mean lets face it he was a donkey. I just respect the skills)

That's how I look at it too. Unless there is enough time gone by from the dad's playing years to allow the kid to make his own space, ala Manning or Simms, it's almost a no-win situation.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
did Elway & Tom Cruise use the same sex surrogate

vailpass
08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
did Elway & Tom Cruise use the same sex surrogate

LMAO
I've seen big John having a beer and smokin' a Marlboro Light in a particular Denver watering hole. I've seen the horse teeth on his children. I KNOW the Duke does not play for the other team.

Tom Cruise is another story. There is one word you can use to describe any woman that is reported to be his love interest: Beard. Whaddya' wanna' bet his kid looks like Russel Crowe?

Wile_E_Coyote
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
LMAO
I've seen big John having a beer and smokin' a Marlboro Light in a particular Denver watering hole. I've seen the horse teeth on his children. I KNOW the Duke does not play for the other team.

Tom Cruise is another story. There is one word you can use to describe any woman that is reported to be his love interest: Beard. Whaddya' wanna' bet his kid looks like Russel Crowe?

or Shannon Sharpe pulled the condom out of his ass, turned it inside out & plowed Mrs Elway

:p

Scaga
08-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I wish somebody could make the theme to "Mr. Ed" play whenever this guy's name in mentioned on the Planet.

(and I ain't just talkin' about CHIEFSPLANET)

Moooo
08-31-2006, 12:31 PM

ROFL

Moooo

vailpass
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
I wish somebody could make the theme to "Mr. Ed" play whenever this guy's name in mentioned on the Planet.

(and I ain't just talkin' about CHIEFSPLANET)

All those years ago and the whuppin' he put on you still hurts? I love it.

Frazod
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM
I hope he fails miserably.

Same here. Rotten little bastard. :#

Scaga
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM

Yeah...where was Lenny Dawson when we needed him?

vailpass
08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
or Shannon Sharpe pulled the condom out of his ass, turned it inside out & plowed Mrs Elway

:spock: Words fail me. :)

vailpass
08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah...where was Lenny Dawson when we needed him?

Lenny's cool. Is he a KC residient?

Dartgod
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Lenny's cool. Is he a KC residient?
Yeah. He's been the sports anchor on the ABC affiliate here for years.

vailpass
08-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah. He's been the sports anchor on the ABC affiliate here for years.

Cool. I like when local legends remain in town. Lenny was excellent on HBO; you'd think they would ask him to step up to one of the main Sunday NFL shows.

Dartgod
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool. I like when local legends remain in town. Lenny was excellent on HBO; you'd think they would ask him to step up to one of the main Sunday NFL shows.
I gotta tell ya, when he first started as sports anchor, he was horrible. Especially when reporting on any sport besides football. Over the years he's gotten much better though.

kc rush
08-31-2006, 01:06 PM

And get drafted by the Royals like daddy did.

The Royals...NOOOOOOO

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 01:08 PM
It would only serve Denver fans right if he were drafted by Indy in 6 years, and immediately traded to KC, where he spends the next decade ruining your $hit.

kc rush
08-31-2006, 01:09 PM
I think he's actually in the Green Mountain School District, but he threw a fit and refused to play for them and forced a transfer to Cherry Creek.

Sarcasm?

If you are serious, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Iowanian
08-31-2006, 01:25 PM
The kid he's competing with, transfered his Sr year because he wasn't going to start at his school.

This highlights the possibility of Elway's infadelity.

SNR
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
So does that make this kid "Ponyface" then?

tk13
08-31-2006, 01:30 PM
That's a nice story, but Cherry Creek isn't going to win until Terrell Davis Jr. comes along.

Frazod
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
That's a nice story, but Cherry Creek isn't going to win until Terrell Davis Jr. comes along.
Also, is that cooking spray thing condoned at the high school level?

And the other teams will be acclaimated to the thin air, too. That's not fair. :shake:

vailpass
08-31-2006, 01:47 PM

"That's all right, that's okay,
You're gonna' work for us some day"
(/Cherry Creek Student Section cheer)

Eye Patch
08-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Did anyone really think the other Qb was going to start over Elway...

Pleassssssssseeeeeeeeeeee

Trust me there was far more pressure on the coach then Elway Jr.

StcChief
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
How much money did John Elway donate to the school's athletic program....

vailpass
08-31-2006, 02:55 PM
How much money did John Elway donate to the school's athletic program....

Howdy nm_dbf,

Yeah, school athletic programs HATE to have the sons of HOF athletes on their programs. I heard Kellen Winslow's dad had to build a new stadium to get his son on the team.
Archie Manning is still paying off the jet he gave to his sons' high school and you don't even want to know what Phil Sims gave away to get his kid on the team.

LMAO

It's the sons of rich boosters who DONT have athletic talent that have to bribe their way in, not the stud jock's kids.

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Lenny's cool. Is he a KC residient?No, It's "Lenny THE Cool."

vailpass
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
No, It's "Lenny THE Cool."

Is that how he is called?

StcChief
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Howdy nm_dbf,

Yeah, school athletic programs HATE to have the sons of HOF athletes on their programs. I heard Kellen Winslow's dad had to build a new stadium to get his son on the team.
Archie Manning is still paying off the jet he gave to his sons' high school and you don't even want to know what Phil Sims gave away to get his kid on the team.

LMAO

It's the sons of rich boosters who DONT have athletic talent that have to bribe their way in, not the stud jock's kids.

Will see how much talent he has later after HS. or If he career doesn't pan out what's has backup plan to make it, run off daddy's money....
take over and run an already successful business....

vailpass
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Will see how much talent he has later after HS. or If he career doesn't pan out what's has backup plan to make it, run off daddy's money....
take over and run an already successful business....

Please don't misunderstand me, I have no idea if this kid is good or not and I'm not defending him because I have pictures of his dad in my house.
I'm just sayin' the sons of stud jocks usually make the team without their daddy having to buy their way on. That pussy move is reserved for non-athletic sons of rich daddies.

StcChief
08-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Please don't misunderstand me, I have no idea if this kid is good or not and I'm not defending him because I have pictures of his dad in my house.
I'm just sayin' the sons of stud jocks usually make the team without their daddy having to buy their way on. That pussy move is reserved for non-athletic sons of rich daddies.

I understand, Elway's boy may be good...
I wonder what the other QB thinks being upstaged by Elway's boy.

I Know the feeling, I was edged out by a HS athletic booster son...
The guy I competed with knew I was as good or better....My dad did NOT contribute to HS athletics. unfortunately it is NOT always about talent....

Rain Man
08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
You're gonna' work for us some day"
(/Cherry Creek Student Section cheer)

For Cherry Creek, I think it's actually,

"You're going to have to work some day."

or

"Two Four Six Eight
Our trusts get a good interest rate"

Calcountry
08-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Is that how he is called?Thats how he was called.

chiefs4me
08-31-2006, 06:34 PM

I feel no hurt...just a massive amount of loathing...:evil:

greg63
09-01-2006, 12:04 AM
So does that make this kid "Ponyface" then?
A pony walks into a bar and the bar tender says: "So, why the long face?"

Guru
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
A pony walks into a bar and the bar tender says: "So, why the long face?"

No. That's John Kerry.

Oops. Wrong forum for that. :)

greg63
09-01-2006, 12:13 AM
No. That's John Kerry.

Oops. Wrong forum for that. :)
ROFL

Where's the DC button???