PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chiefs target Carson Palmer's knee week one?

KCChiefsFan88
08-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Unethical? Disgraceful? Probably but no doubt it happens. You have a QB coming in week one 9 months removed from a major knee injury that is surgically repaired (and still in the healing process). Should Palmer's knee be fair game and a target for the Chiefs defense Week One? Knocking him out of the game would no doubt completely change the course of the game, in terms of the threat the Bengals offense would present.

DaFace
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Umm...sounds pretty low-class to me. As much as I want to win, I'm not into playing dirty. If we can't beat them fair and square, we don't deserve the win.

The Bad Guy
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
You attack him, but you don't purposely go for his knee.

It figures someone who is a Hurricane fan would post such topic.

StcChief
08-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Play hard if something happens????
That's all part of the game.

Kyle401
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
A few years ago Priest was talking about how he was being targeted, guys trying to injure him etc. At the time I thought such a strategy was bush league as did most of the posters here.

The same thing applies to Palmer.

The reason to hit a guy hard is to make him fear you, possibly cause a fumble, but definitely get in his head. As a defender, there is nothing satisfying about injuring an opponent. It is satisfying to have your opponents so mentally rattled that they can't take a snap without glancing nervously in your direction 3-4 times.

DaFace
08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
A few years ago Priest was talking about how he was being targeted, guys trying to injure him etc. At the time I thought such a strategy was bush league as did most of the posters here.

The same thing applies to Palmer.

The reason to hit a guy hard is to make him fear you, possibly cause a fumble, but definitely get in his head. As a defender, there is nothing satisfying about injuring an opponent. It is satisfying to have your opponents so mentally rattled that they can't take a snap without glancing nervously in your direction 3-4 times.

That I can agree with. Exploit any insecurities he might have with his knee to make him fear getting hit? Definitely. Purposefully aim for the knee in order to try and reinjure him? :shake:

Count Alex's Losses
08-31-2006, 05:11 PM
If you don't think players are out there trying to injure each other you're just naive.

If you can knock out the other team's quarterback, go for it. Just means you're a better team. They couldn't protect their quarterback.

Kyle401
08-31-2006, 05:14 PM
If you don't think players are out there trying to injure each other you're just naive.

If you can knock out the other team's quarterback, go for it. Just means you're a better team. They couldn't protect their quarterback.

No one is saying that some players don't try to injure their opponents, but not all do. The ones who do are low class IMO. I guess you approve of the Donkey OL blocking tactics?

Mr. Laz
08-31-2006, 05:15 PM
i'll settle for just hitting Palmer

hits on the QB hasn't exactly been our strong suit

Dremel
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
I think we should target the End Zone!

bogie
08-31-2006, 05:30 PM
i'll settle for just hitting Palmer

hits on the QB hasn't exactly been our strong suit

exactly. if his knee happens to get in the way, so be it.

HemiEd
08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
No, I would like to see him get beat up though, for just this game. I want him healthy to beat other teams in the AFC West.

chiefqueen
08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Tempting but we play Denver week 2, we can't have the defenders capable of doing this serving suspensions.

ROYC75
08-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Target his knee ? No, we don't play dirty.

But we should attack him, what ever happens, happens.

KCChiefsMan
08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
I hope we sack him 10 times, but going for his knee with intentions of damaging it is just a terrible way to play football. If we get him and something happens...well thats just part of the game

Cochise
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Not really the best way to hit someone if you are trying to stop a pass or make sure you get a sack anyway, right?

noa
08-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree with what most people have said. Its fair game to hit him hard and intimidate him, but there's no reason to go after his knee specifically. If we deliberately target his knee, how do we know that the Bengals wouldn't do the same to Trent? I just don't think you want to go down that path, cause things could get really ugly and really bad for both teams.

OldTownChief
08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Go after him with all we got. Knock the piss out of him as long as it's legal. The hit of him in the Pitt game was a legal.

tk13
08-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah but I'm not sure that's a legal hit anymore. The referees are supposed to be cracking down on QB hits below the waist, I do believe.

el borracho
08-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Ease up there, Cobra Kai!

Let's win ethically on our own merits.

Adept Havelock
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM

ROFL

penchief
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Not any more than I'd want someone going after LJ's knees. Did you forget that we are the antibroncos?

jspchief
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
"Target" his knee? F*ck no. We aren't the fuggin Raiders.

Another in a long list of dumbass posts from you. Please go root for a different team. You're an emabarrassment to the Chiefs.

gblowfish
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Absolutely. Hit him late. Dive at his knees. Twist an ankle. Knee him in the groin in a pile up. Spit in his face. Do whatever you have to. Winning is all that matters.
Sincerely,
Kimo von Oelhoeffen
Rodney Harrison
Conrad Dobler
George Foster
Bill Romanowski
Every Oakland Raider Player...EVER

|Zach|
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM

Let's win ethically on our own merits.
ha

tk13
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that would not be an illegal hit now. You're not supposed to go below the knee at all though, risky business, especially with the way they protect QB's.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12070684/

...the league also passed rules to further protect players, especially quarterbacks, who can no longer be the targets of unnecessary or unavoidable low hits. The hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen against Cincinnati's Carson Palmer in the playoffs would not be a penalty under the new rule. However, such a play helped instigate the rules change.

"Let's face it. We do protect the quarterback," Pereira said.

Three rules to protect offensive players:

-A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting a passer who has one or both feet on the ground in the knee area or below, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.

-Last year's illegal "horse-collar" tackle rule was strengthened to include the back of the jersey as well as inside the shoulder pads.

-Defenders can no longer line up directly over the center on field goals and extra points. This is to reduce the risk of neck injury.

JBucc
08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm never playing football with kcchiefsfan88

Fishpicker
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
there's no reason to target palmer's leg. hitting him hard in a legitimate manner should be sufficient. if someone rolls over his leg in an accident, I wouldnt cry about it.

Hound333
08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Unethical? Disgraceful? Probably but no doubt it happens. You have a QB coming in week one 9 months removed from a major knee injury that is surgically repaired (and still in the healing process). Should Palmer's knee be fair game and a target for the Chiefs defense Week One? Knocking him out of the game would no doubt completely change the course of the game, in terms of the threat the Bengals offense would present.

No, I love the Chiefs and would love to see them win every week. Its not worth someones season or career though. I want to see Palmer continue to put up numbers. So long as its not the week he plays KC.

I mean honestly its not like he plays for the Donks or Raiders

OldTownChief
08-31-2006, 06:27 PM
You should ALWAYS target the QB. Intentially going after a knee is wrong but you should go after him all out, whatever it takes to disrupt his game. Disrupt Palmer and the Bungholes are toast.

mcan
08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
NEVER PURPOSEFULLY DIVE AT A PLAYER'S KNEES!!!!

Not just Carson Palmer, anybody! It's completely unnecessary to hit the knees to tackle somebody. But, you don't try to avoid his knee either. If he's healthy enough to be on the field, you treat him the same way you would any other quarterback (or player for that matter). You try to smash him into the next century with a legal and HARD hit. But you don't dive at anybody's knees.

A harder question would be if Peyton Manning had a seperated shoulder and decided to play with it at 75%. Would you purposefully try to hit that shoulder?... Since hitting a shoulder as hard as you want is perfectly legal, I would say YES. Hopefully you'ld hurt him just enough to effect his performance but not try to take him out of the game or effect his longterm career.

ct
08-31-2006, 07:10 PM

Your and idiot!

ChiefaRoo
08-31-2006, 07:35 PM
I want KC's D to Hit him so hard that his entire body becomes a bruise. That being said, targeting someone for injury is BS unless said player is targeting someone else for injury first!

whoman69
08-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Let's leave the dirty play to the Doncs and the Raiders.

Logical
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
You are an idiot to even think about it. Hell No

Logical
08-31-2006, 08:47 PM

This is the type of thing that made you a parriah on the BB similar to the hoping people were killed in the Denver plane crash.

Count Alex's Losses
08-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey, I'd rather the NFL wasn't that way, but it is.

Marcellus
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Your and idiot!

:) :) ROFL ROFL :p :p

mlyonsd
08-31-2006, 09:01 PM

Should the next Interstate sniper target your big fat stupid melonhead?

Unethical? Disgraceful?

Logical
08-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey, I'd rather the NFL wasn't that way, but it is.

For someone who edits writing for others you must not edit your own writing if that is the case.

Originally Posted by GoChiefs

JohnnyJet
08-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Chiefs wont score in week one---thanks to herm

plbrdude
08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
i hope his knee don't give out from runnin for his life from #91 & #69. never try to injure some one. hurt them, sure. injure, no.

Simply Red
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Nope. Containing him would be fine. I never wish injury on anyone except maybe; Axl Rose? I guess.

Simply Red
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Chiefs wont score in week one---thanks to herm

Shut up Twat!

PastorMikH
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
We aren't the Denver Donkeys. I would be very dissapointed if we game-planned taking out Palmer's knee.

However, I would be quite happy with a game plan that centered around hit him early and often. Tough & Physical are fine, Cheap Shots are not.

ChiefFan31
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM

LMAO that is what I was thinking.

Send him home in a bodybag!!!!!! Yeahhhhhh!!!!

boogblaster
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Dont think we'll have to target his knee to beat the Bungles..Good thing theyre not playin Donks tho..Cheap shot Donk Def. probably would.. BOOG....