PDA

View Full Version : Any Bob Seger fans on here?

Bald but Beautiful
09-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Kind of surprising in that there is no thread for Bob yet or it is really really archival. With his new stuff coming out next week and his new single sounding really good I thought I would do this. I think Seger is awesome, definitely underrated but sill in the Rock Hall of Fame. I recently bought both of his acclaimed live albums. talk about a incredible live performer, kind of hope he brings his Silver Bullet Band somewhere around here, maybe he will let KC have a date on the tour being in the Midwest.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I dig him, always flew under the radar, my guess si because he is ugly as hell, but his music is blue collar all the way, and I like it!

I didn't consider a thread because he's doing a duet with, big suprise, Kid Rock. I think Kid is cool and all that but I really am tired of everyone doing their music with Kid Rock, big deal.
I hate remakes as it is, so unless he turns it up on this release I will download stuff maybe, but that's it.

My bottom line is that I will always like his stuff, but I don't do the duet with the hip rocker thing.

chagrin
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Excellent introspective music, mellow but also rockin out. And you are right, he was a great live performer!

Nzoner
09-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm a big fan of his first live project Live Bullet and would have to say my favorite studio project is Stranger In Town as I love the song Brave Strangers and the line..."and we jammed till dawns early light."

Nightwish
09-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't say that I've ever been a fan of Bob Seger, but he's definitely got some real ass-kickin' songs!

patteeu
09-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm a big fan of his first live project Live Bullet and would have to say my favorite studio project is Stranger In Town as I love the song Brave Strangers and the line..."and we jammed till dawns early light."

Yep, yep, and yep!

ROYC75
09-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Seger rocks ........ has been since the 60's !

Demonpenz
09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
There is a song by him called old time rock and roll or something. I don't hear it too much but i like it and it's a rare one by him

Nightwish
09-07-2006, 04:30 AM
There is a song by him called old time rock and roll or something. I don't hear it too much but i like it and it's a rare one by him
I wouldn't call it "rare," it's one of his biggest hits.

chagrin
09-07-2006, 05:51 AM
he was joking, god I hope he was joking - I think he was though

Chiefnj
09-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm a big Bob Seger fan. He has one of the best lines ever written:

"...wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.."

I've never seen him live, so I'm really hoping he goes on tour. He's probably the only artist that I'd overpay to see.

StcChief
09-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Bob Segar puts on a great show.
Saw him in Chicago in late 70s.

ROYC75
09-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Damn, ya'll made plug a CD in and listen...........:D

Mecca
09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Crap.....I read the title to fast I thought it was going to be a thread about Bob Saget.

Bald but Beautiful
09-08-2006, 07:45 PM
cool about some Seger fans on here. Go the bobseger.com and go to his forum and you can listen to the new stuff in its entirety, along with the occasional "Sneak Peek, hear it here first" that does get annoying but the music is really really good. His voice is still pretty good, may not hit them high notes as well as back in the day, but the material is really good. Guest appearances by Kid Rock and Patty Loveless, both good as well.

StcChief
09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
cool.

Still love 'Live Bullet' from college days

jspchief
09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Seger definately had some great lyrics.

The local classic rock station over-played him to the point that I got burnt out, but I may have to dig the cassette back out. And find a cassette player.

Psyko Tek
09-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Nine tonight was one of my favorite albums in colledge

Nzoner
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Listening to the new cd Face The Promise right now and so far I'm giving it a :thumb:

patteeu
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Listening to the new cd Face The Promise right now and so far I'm giving it a :thumb:

I listened to it the other day. It had several pretty good songs including one or two that seemed to harken back to his Night Moves era (e.g. "Simplicity" reminds me of "Come To Poppa"). There were too many ballads, though, which has been my problem with the last few Seger albums. All-in-all, I think it's one of his stronger efforts since Stranger in Town.

Nzoner
09-21-2006, 09:53 AM
I listened to it the other day. It had several pretty good songs including one or two that seemed to harken back to his Night Moves era (e.g. "Simplicity" reminds me of "Come To Poppa"). There were too many ballads, though, which has been my problem with the last few Seger albums. All-in-all, I think it's one of his stronger efforts since Stranger in Town.

I agree,I ended up purchasing half of the songs.

Right now I'm checking out Frampton's new one Fingerprints,so far it's all instrumental and sounding very good.Blooze is easily my favorite track so far.

StcChief
09-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Good to know about new Segar LP.

Saw him on Leno last week.

patteeu
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree,I ended up purchasing half of the songs.

Right now I'm checking out Frampton's new one Fingerprints,so far it's all instrumental and sounding very good.Blooze is easily my favorite track so far.

I haven't heard that one, but I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day on the radio and she said she went to a Frampton concert the other night and was blown away. She expected a washed up rocker but found that he was pretty fresh and still going strong.

patteeu
09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Good to know about new Segar LP.

Saw him on Leno last week.

He was also on the Jim Rome show a week or two ago, but I had things to do and missed it.

Nzoner
09-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I dig him, always flew under the radar, my guess si because he is ugly as hell, but his music is blue collar all the way, and I like it!

I didn't consider a thread because he's doing a duet with, big suprise, Kid Rock. I think Kid is cool and all that but I really am tired of everyone doing their music with Kid Rock, big deal.
I hate remakes as it is, so unless he turns it up on this release I will download stuff maybe, but that's it.

My bottom line is that I will always like his stuff, but I don't do the duet with the hip rocker thing.

Personally the duet with Kid Rock,Real Mean Bottle, is not half bad at all

Nzoner
09-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I haven't heard that one, but I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day on the radio and she said she went to a Frampton concert the other night and was blown away. She expected a washed up rocker but found that he was pretty fresh and still going strong.

Here's a review I thought you might enjoy

Sound: In the past 35 years Peter Frampton has become one of the most sought after sounds in guitar in the history of rock music. His first successes with late 60's rock band Humblie Pie extending to his 1976 breakthrough "Frampton Comes Alive" are important pieces to his career and the music industry. Now the man is back and like the title, he puts his "fingerprints" on many different styles of music for this instrumental album. He teams up with the likes of Mike McCready and Matt Cameron of Pearl Jam, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones and Warren Haynes of the Allman Brothers Band and formerly of Gov't Mule. It's interesting to hear a blues influenced guitar player dabble in latino and soul sounds. The album has a clear production and is up to par with any disc that has been released as of recent. // 10

Lyrics: Being that vocals are absent from the album this section will be used to judge the playing of Mr.Frampton. As I said earlier, Frampton touches base on a few different musical styles and he manages to make a convincing case of emulating the soul and sound of the styles he has chosen. The songs he has arranged are all well versed. The way he presents pieces like "Ida y Vuelta (Out and Back" is so intimate that it's almost disconcerting. His version of Soundgarden's monumental hit "Black Hole Sun" is worth the price alone to buy this album. The boys from Pearl Jam help him out and give this song the grunge kick in the ass to get it off the ground. Frampton takes it in a new direction and the fact he uses his famous Talkbox to recite the chorus "Black hole sun, won't you come..." makes it even cooler. // 9

Impression: There a handful of styles Frampton incorporates into this album, those being: American soul, Latino, American blues, Grunge/Alternative and a touch of Nashville lap-guitar. Most serious guitar players have accepted Peter Frampton because of his ability to charm the listener with his raw skill that is unmatched. Many would even say he's one of the most underrated guitarists of the past 30 years. After listening to this album, Frampton now being at his age of 56, it's hard to argue against that and it's apparent he still has the chops. If you liked his famous "Frampton Comes Alive" or instrumental albums such as Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" then you'll like this album, possibly even more. // 10

patteeu
09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Here's a review I thought you might enjoy

Sound: In the past 35 years Peter Frampton has become one of the most sought after sounds in guitar in the history of rock music. His first successes with late 60's rock band Humblie Pie extending to his 1976 breakthrough "Frampton Comes Alive" are important pieces to his career and the music industry. Now the man is back and like the title, he puts his "fingerprints" on many different styles of music for this instrumental album. He teams up with the likes of Mike McCready and Matt Cameron of Pearl Jam, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones and Warren Haynes of the Allman Brothers Band and formerly of Gov't Mule. It's interesting to hear a blues influenced guitar player dabble in latino and soul sounds. The album has a clear production and is up to par with any disc that has been released as of recent. // 10

Lyrics: Being that vocals are absent from the album this section will be used to judge the playing of Mr.Frampton. As I said earlier, Frampton touches base on a few different musical styles and he manages to make a convincing case of emulating the soul and sound of the styles he has chosen. The songs he has arranged are all well versed. The way he presents pieces like "Ida y Vuelta (Out and Back" is so intimate that it's almost disconcerting. His version of Soundgarden's monumental hit "Black Hole Sun" is worth the price alone to buy this album. The boys from Pearl Jam help him out and give this song the grunge kick in the ass to get it off the ground. Frampton takes it in a new direction and the fact he uses his famous Talkbox to recite the chorus "Black hole sun, won't you come..." makes it even cooler. // 9

Impression: There a handful of styles Frampton incorporates into this album, those being: American soul, Latino, American blues, Grunge/Alternative and a touch of Nashville lap-guitar. Most serious guitar players have accepted Peter Frampton because of his ability to charm the listener with his raw skill that is unmatched. Many would even say he's one of the most underrated guitarists of the past 30 years. After listening to this album, Frampton now being at his age of 56, it's hard to argue against that and it's apparent he still has the chops. If you liked his famous "Frampton Comes Alive" or instrumental albums such as Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" then you'll like this album, possibly even more. // 10

Sounds pretty good. I'm not usually into instrumentals, but I think I'll check this one out. Thanks.

StcChief
09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
If you liked his famous "Frampton Comes Alive" or instrumental albums such as Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" then you'll like this album, possibly even more.

If it's anything close to the Jazz/Fusion Album of 1975
Blow by Blow.... I'll be impressed.