PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden - the Blaze era

Nightwish
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I spent much of the day today, while I was out driving around, listening to both X Factor and Virtual XI, something I had never really done before. I can't stand Blaze's voice, so I have always pretty much avoided listening to those albums, except for the live pieces they do with Bruce. But today, I decided to give them a chance for the first time, and I have to say, I would really love to see both of these redone with Bruce on vocals, because musically, they are both pretty solid albums, especially Virtual XI (just my opinion, of course), and I think they are actually more solid than Fear of the Dark and No Prayer for the Dying, instrumentally. On the other hand, the only song I've heard from them that I can stand with Blaze singing it, is "Virus," which is only on their compilations, but not on any of their original albums. But anyway, that's just my thoughts on this, that although these were meager albums with Blaze on vocals, I think they would sell astoundingly and could be rated right up there with their 80s material, if they redid them with Bruce. I doubt it'll ever happen, but it'd sure be nice!

chagrin
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
You are correct for the most part. Blayze blows and it has nothing to do with him just "not being Bruce" like so many people say. He is flat, can't hit any notes and is terrible. Musically, X-Factor and Virtual X were excellent, and IF they had Bruce on them, they would have probably topped both Fear of the Dark and also No Prayer for the dying. Tell that to a fuggin 16 year old though and he will scream that yu have no idea what you are saying.

We are currently debating it on another site, check your PM

ChiefFripp
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I can atleast respect The X Factor album, even if I don't like it, but Virtual XI is just a big load of crap. It's seriously the worst album I have heard from any band. I don't blame Blaze for that album, I blame everyone in Maiden because that album blows 100%. It doesn't even sound like Maiden, it sounds like Meatloaf fronting Grim Reaper or something.

All the Maiden studio albums from the '90s ,with the possible exception of Fear of the Dark, are just horrid.

Nightwish
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I can atleast respect The X Factor album, even if I don't like it, but Virtual XI is just a big load of crap. It's seriously the worst album I have heard from any band. I don't blame Blaze for that album, I blame everyone in Maiden because that album blows 100%. It doesn't even sound like Maiden, it sounds like Meatloaf fronting Grim Reaper or something.

All the Maiden studio albums from the '90s ,with the possible exception of Fear of the Dark, are just horrid.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. I can see the Grim Reaper comparison on "The Angel and the Gambler," but the rest of the album sounds distinctly Maiden, except for the power ballad "Como Estais Amigos." I think that most fans did the same thing I did - just gave up on it without giving it a really good listen (I mean, actually listening to what's going on, not just playing it as background music), because they weren't willing to forgive the fact that not only did they hire Blaze Bailey, whose voice absolutely does not fit with Maiden's music, but let him do a second album. It was only after I finally sat down and really gave both albums a good, in depth listen, that I noticed how solid both of them are, in terms of the instruments. Most Maiden writeups I've seen say that they began experimenting with the prog sound when Bruce rejoined, and that BNW was their first prog metal album, but they really started it on these two albums, just nobody noticed, because we couldn't get past Blaze's voice. But as I said, instrumentally speaking, Virtual XI is the best they've done since Seventh Son. "Futureal" and "The Angel and the Gambler" aren't anything special, but they'd decent pop rockers with Bruce's vocals, "Lightning Strikes Twice" recalls their Piece of Mind sound, "The Clansman" will go down as a classic without a doubt, and we already know how awesome that one sounds with Bruce singing it, "The Educated Fool" was indicative of the progishness that was to come with the reunited lineup and is itself a pretty solid track (though the choral harmonies were horrid), "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" is just an amazing song all around, minus Blaze, and again gives a hint of the prog sound that would typify both BNW and DoD. The only tracks I thought were overly weak were "When Two Worlds Collide" and "Como Estais Amigos," though the latter wasn't too bad, it just didn't do anything for me.

chagrin
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
The music was good, the vocals sucked - it cannot be overanalyzed or dressed up, it's suimple as that. Blayze blows, not because he isn't Bruce, but because he cannot sing worth a shit. He's flat and out of key at the same time, it's awful

Nightwish
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
The music was good, the vocals sucked - it cannot be overanalyzed or dressed up, it's suimple as that. Blayze blows, not because he isn't Bruce, but because he cannot sing worth a shit. He's flat and out of key at the same time, it's awful
Yep. I think those albums could have been good with a number of other singers, not just Bruce. I know that they had offered the job to James LaBrie, and I'm not sure how much I would have liked him in Maiden (I like him in Dream Theater, though), but I would have jumped for joy if they had picked Michael Kiske (he ultimately never made the decision to try out, but he had talked to Adrian Smith about it on a number of occasions when they were working together). There are a lot of other singers, too, who could have worked out with Maiden, though in retrospect I'm glad none of them did, because Bruce is still the best vocalist for that band, and I'd hate to see someone I really like (like Kiske) lose the job when Bruce decided to come back.

Over-Head
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Every time I even hear Blaze's name I can't help but think of the cheesy video Maden made with "Women In Uniform "