PDA

View Full Version : Elvis on KCFX...

Mark M
12-22-2000, 08:27 AM
Last night Elvis made an appearance on the Tim Grunhard show. There was the usual, typical easy questions (how do you feel about next year, etc.) but there was also some interesting things brought out:

1. He said that the boos that rained down upon him in '98 (which I never did...you don't boo your own team...NEVER!) made him a better QB. Grunhard's line: "You have to go through fire to make steel." He didn't blame the fans—in fact, he thanked the fans. Their criticism made him pay more attention to how he was performing.

2. He said the last pass against NE was the dumbest thing he's done. But he will learn from it and make sure to do better next time.

3. He totally supported Gunther, saying that he can be the man if given the right opportunity/support (i.e new assistants).

I found this all very interesting. He seems to be confident, he knows he can/needs to still improve and plans on playing here for a long time (i.e. he will re-do his contract).

Any thoughts? Did anyone else in KC hear any of this?

MM
~~Becoming an even more strident Grbacker.

------------------
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-22-2000).]

ct
12-22-2000, 08:31 AM
Did Grunny make any hints as to his plans next season?

Did Elvis make any comments on JRaye?

ct
a couple ?s off the top-o-the-head

HC_Chief
12-22-2000, 08:40 AM
POOP! I wish I woulda' listened last night.

I really like what he said re: being booed & having it make him focus - he could have easily felt sorry for himself & packed it in. Grunny's "fire...steel" line is classic!

mlyonsd
12-22-2000, 08:47 AM
Great thread. Those of us that don't live in KC enjoy this kind of info.

I am more comfortable with EG then any other QB since Dawson. He has a good head on his shoulders and his attitude towards the game/fans is admirable.

<BR>

58Forever
12-22-2000, 08:48 AM
Elvis should love Raye and Gun for finally opening up the offense...

The best thing I heard was that he supported Gun...but thinks we should make changes at other key coaching spots...I agree...hope it happens...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Mark M
12-22-2000, 08:52 AM
coryt--
Grunny didn't say one way or another if he was coming back. Elvis said he wanted him back, and there was a lot of love poured onto him by the fans. I have a feeling he will probably give it one last year and see what happens.

I missed the first 15-20 minutes, but in the last 40 he said nothing about JRaye, other than that he has done a good job changing the O from run to pass.

I doubt Elvis would ever dis another teammate or coach again, so who knows how Elvis really feels about JR. He mentioned that he made a mistake ripping teammates a few years ago, and his love for Gunnther was easily seen. Considering he was so open and didn't shower praise on Raye makes me think that Elvis wouldn't mind having JR gone. (Does that make sense?)

Either way, I was very impressed with Grbac. He was open, seemed relaxed and Grunny showed a lot of love towards him. It seems that Elvis has finally taken this team and made it his own. Beautiful to see.

MM
~~Wants Grunny back.

------------------
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

Dartgod
12-22-2000, 08:55 AM
This is all very nice. The fact remains, though, that he has never won a playoff game.

58Forever
12-22-2000, 08:56 AM
We sit around and expect miracles from these players..then you realize that most of them are youngsters, early 20s...when I was in my early 20s, I was a immature, pothead...had no clue what I wanted with my life...etc...

Elvis turned 30 last year...by time you reach your late 20s or at age 30, you've figured out some things and lived a little and hopefully become more mature...seems to be the case with EG...what happend to Rison?...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

stevieray
12-22-2000, 09:01 AM
I knew Grbac would come into his own. It he Walrus and the Rat BOTH wanted him...

I'm thinking about going to donx game next year, and wearing four jerseys over one another. Get the cameraman's attention....98...pull off to 88...pull off to 18...pull off to 58. Then hold up a sign that says eight is enough.

DeepSouth
12-22-2000, 09:08 AM
I like the "Fire & Steel". If the Chiefs get their running game back next year, combine that with Elvis and the passing game, and that could become the offensive's nickname.

Fire and Steel!!!!

ct
12-22-2000, 09:12 AM
Did Grunny make any hints as to his plans next season?

Did Elvis make any comments on JRaye?

ct
a couple ?s off the top-o-the-head

alanm
12-22-2000, 09:19 AM
Stevieray, I have found that since living in this part of the country for the past couple of years. That there is no good time during the season to go see a game in Denver vs the Chiefs. I went in the second week of Sept. this year, It was cold and snowy and I went last year the first week of Dec and it was cold and snowy. I haven't won yet with the weather but it didn't matter much since the Chiefs won both! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mark M
12-22-2000, 09:20 AM
cory--
see #5.

Grunny did seem to be a bit choked up at the thought of leaving. That's why I think he will be back next year.

MM
~~Wishes he had a transcript.

------------------
--George W. Bush