PDA

View Full Version : Critical points to ponder...

Gaz
12-21-2000, 07:41 AM
1. Will Gunther retain the Stooges?
The most important decision for the future of the team. No other choice will have nearly the impact on our ability to compete. If the Stooges are retained, no other decisions really matter.

2. Will Hasty return for one more season?
This, IMO, is the most critical personnel question for the Chiefs. If Hasty retires, we MUST get a good veteran CB in FA. That is going to cost us some serious buckage. We cannot go into battle with an all-rookie CB corps. We really, REALLY need one more year from Hasty.

3. Will Grbac renegotiate?
If Grbac should refuse to negotiate, we have to let him go. That means a total redesign of our Offense. Okay, some wags might claim that a redesign can be accomplished in half an hour, but Grbac is currently the lynchpin of our Offense. IMO, he will renegotiate.

4. Will we pay superstar money to Shields?
This question drives all our FA moves. If we spend the bucks to keep Shields on the line, we cannot go after a FA CB or HB. IMO, we should not invest megabucks in Shields.

5. Will Grunhard return for one more season?
If Willis moves from backup to starter, we have to obtain the services of a backup Center. Our OL would benefit from one more year of veteran leadership from Grunhard. Give us one more season, Grunny.

6. Will we sign Gonzalez to a long-term contract?
Our prime playmaker. If we can ink him to a long-term, cap friendly contract, we avoid a crisis situation next season. True, this is not a critical question, but it will be a HUGE question next season and we would be better served to address it now.

xoxo~
gaz
has more questions than he does answers.<BR>

mlyonsd
12-21-2000, 08:32 AM
gaz,

1. We are on the same page as this being our #1 question, my take is if we win convincingly Sunday Kurt and JR stay, Stock is in deep doo doo no matter what.

2. I think Hasty will be gone after this year. IMO I think he will find it hard to come back to A) Kurt or B) A new system. Catch 22.

3. I think you are right and EG will renegotiate.

4. Shields will be gone.

5. Grunny will stay if Elvis does.

6. I have no way of knowing what is going on in CP's head. It would be nice to head off a problem by renegotiating TG's contract this year.

Couple more questions I have:

7. If a decent RB comes available to us in FA or the draft will CP/Gun pull the trigger, or are we destined to another year of Guess who's RB this week?

8. Will we keep Williams and/or Chester?

9. Will we look for another fast LB to replace our wasted money in Bush?

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 12-21-2000).]

Gaz
12-21-2000, 08:58 AM
mylonsd-

7. Richardson will be our starting and hopefully featured HB next season. We will not spend the $$$ for Dillon or Garner or Barber, et al. We will go FA for a blocking FB and probably draft a RB in the middle rounds.

8. We keep McGlockton for sure and probably Williams. We might draft a DT in the second round if we decide to lose Williams.

9. I have been banging the drum for OLB Dan Morgan as our #1 draft pick. Edwards, Maslowski and Morgan. I like the sound of that.

xoxo~
gaz
expects Defense, Defense and Defense from the draft.<BR>

DeepSouth
12-21-2000, 09:47 AM
Gaz, If the Chiefs are looking for a free agent fullback, rumor has it that Howard Griffith could be released by Denver due to Salary Cap. He's currently 30 Yrs Old. Would you consider him a candidate?

ck_IN
12-21-2000, 11:22 AM
I concurr with you Gaz that this should be a defense oriented draft, but I'd prefer a D tackle as our #1. I'm thinking Shaun Rodgers personally. I expect Williams to be a casuality as soon as it makes fiscal sense. And I suspect that Ransom/Martin aren't in the run stuffing class that we need. A D tackle that eats RB's would make me a very happy camper.

As for OLB I'm thinking Atkins will make a conversion in the off-season. He's listed as 233lbs. Bulk him to around 240lbs coupled with his assasin tendencies and ya got ya an OLB.

I'm thinking our #2 pick should go for a CB or LB whichever is better at the time of the pick. With Oline and RB in the midrounds.

Gaz
12-21-2000, 11:26 AM
DeepSouth-

Sure. Our FB is simply going to block for Richardson until we make him our HBOTF.

xoxo~
gaz
bashing on the Chiefs just a bit.<BR>

ck_IN
12-21-2000, 11:30 AM
As for your questions:

1. I think Raye is here to stay which I'm ambivalent about. I think Kurt will follow Marty and Stock is probably gone.

2. I expect Hasty to return. He's performing too well and seems to love the game too much. He'll fullfill his contract and then take a wait and see.

3. This is a slam dunk.

4. I think Will will be tagged, either franchise or transition.

5. Barring injury or familiy problem #61 will be back.

6. I doubt this one. Gonzo's contract is rather cap friendly right now. I doubt that CP will open this can o worms till after next season when he see's where we are cap-wise.

7. Forget the Dillgasms. We don't seem to have the cash for a big name RB without gutting somewhere else.

8. can't afford to lose'em. Last I saw cutting both would amount to $11+ mil in cap damage.

9. I don't know the terms on Bush. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with an Atkins conversion. I wish Stills would step up. I loved this guy in college.

Luzap
12-22-2000, 06:04 AM
I agree with just about everything being said here... with one possible exception ~ WR.

Has anyone heard how Ricks is performing? I believe Locket is gone regardless, and we need a speedster to stretch the field. If Ricks can't perform you can bet we'll use a draft pick to obtain one.

Luz
what's the word on ricks???...

58Forever
12-22-2000, 08:00 AM
1: Raye will be here for sure...he may be an idiot but because of our "new found" passing game...he looked like a genius, until he called a running play...as for the other two, can you have Moe without Curly and Larry?...No way...I fear all will be back...

2:Hasty returns only if the $$$ is right and the Chiefs commit to winning...ie: sign FAs, dump coaches, etc...so if one is true, two can't be.

3: Grbac will renegotiate, no ifs ands or buts...however, he will get a hefty raise no matter what.

4: Shields won't be here next year if we have to pay him 4 or 5 mil per year and if we want to get any top FA...decent OL are too easy to come by it seems...however, if we don't jump into the FA pool, Will will be here

5: Grunhard returns only if the Chiefs want him and if they commit to winning...see #2

6: If King Carl has any brains at all, he's already talking to Gonzo's agent...Gonzo should be a Chief for life...if they have to give him a 30 mil signing bonus and sign him for 10 years at a base of 2 mil...they should do it...they have to do it...

7: ditto, TRich is our guy...for better or worse and I'm thinking better...still might get a FA and for sure we will draft a RB or two, but no way we get Dillon, Barber or Garner...to much $$$$

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-22-2000).]

HC_Chief
12-22-2000, 08:16 AM
(1)Who says Gunther will be retained? If he is, then I'm betting we have a new DC and STC. Raye's passing attack was impressive - if he can figure out how to mix the run in a bit, we're gold. (note: our O ranks #8 overall in the NFL)

(2)Doubtful. If the money is right, and the front office shows there really are willing to do anything for a SB, then he might.

(3)Yes (Thank goodness!! This guy is turning into an outstanding QB. loved the way he ran the ball over the last two weeks)

(4)Doubtful. We'll probably offer $4mil. If he is offered more, he's gone.

(5)Yes (call it a gut feeling)

(6)Yes (I'm betting this is very high on Peterson's priority list)

Gaz - I did not now you were on the Dan Morgan bandwagon too! ;) I'd love to see us take him in the first round, and Mario Fatafehi in the second (ILB 1st, DT 2nd)

MrBlond
12-22-2000, 09:29 AM
I may be in the minority, but I don't believe Grbac will renegotiate his contract. I think he has wanted out of KC for a long time. Remember his Cleveland backup comments? I would not blame him for wanting out. He has been booed at home even this year. In the eyes of many Chiefs fans, he will never measure up to Gannon no matter what he does. If Grbac does decide to NOT reneg. and forces the Chiefs to release him, he will be the hottest QB on the market. Miami, Baltimore, Dallas, Seattle, and Pitt. would line up to bid for his services. Many of these teams are closer to the Superbowl and have more cap room available than KC and King Carl. I look for a Holmgren reunion. Alexander and this years offensive rookie of the year, Darrell Jackson(no, not the Cat), added to next years 2 high first rounders, not to mention a SuperBowl head coach would be an attractive option for Elvis.

Warrior5
12-22-2000, 09:38 AM
1. Stock and Schott will go. Raye will stay.
2. Hasty will stay if Schott goes.
3. Grbac will renegotiate.
4. Shields will unfortunately go.
5. Grunhard will return for one more season. I just mailed the petition to him.
6. Gonzales will be here long term.
7. We won't acquire a prime-time RB through FA. Although I love the guy, KA is gone.
8. One of the two will be gone.
9. We'll go after a Morgan-esque LB to complete the fast, smart trio. Maz will move to MLB <BR>

Warrior5
12-22-2000, 09:38 AM
1. Stock and Schott will go. Raye will stay.
2. Hasty will stay if Schott goes.
3. Grbac will renegotiate.
4. Shields will unfortunately go.
5. Grunhard will return for one more season. I just mailed the petition to him.
6. Gonzales will be here long term.
7. We won't acquire a prime-time RB through FA. Although I love the guy, KA is gone.
8. One of the two will be gone.
9. We'll go after a Morgan-esque LB to complete the fast, smart trio. Maz will move to MLB <BR>