PDA

View Full Version : Do We Want Welbourne Back?

RINGLEADER
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Read on ProFootballTalk that they've heard some rumor that John Welbourne is interested in coming back to the Chiefs, that he really hasn't retired yet, yada yada yada. All that aside, if he were to express an interest in coming back, do you think the Chiefs should make a play to get him back into the starting lineup?

JBucc
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Make this thread again in six weeks when he's done with his suspension and we know what our O-line will look like, but as of now no I don't want that stupid roidin freak on our team.

KC-TBB
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds like Peterson is cutting ties, he stated we have a new tackle.

Rain Man
I would never say no to having a starting lineman return.

RINGLEADER
Here's the article from PFT:

WELBOURN WANTS BACK IN

Lost to date in the confirmation that former Chiefs tackle John Welbourn will be suspended six games for violating the NFL's steroids policy (we reported on rumors of a suspension on July 18) is the obvious reality that, although Welbourn claimed that he was retiring, he really hadn't retired.

If he had retired, there would be no reason to announce a six-game suspension.

But now that Welbourn has successfully avoided training camp and the preseason, in which he would have been contractually required to participate notwithstanding the looming six-game suspension, Welbourn is trying to un-retire.

So after the six-game suspension, the Chiefs will have to decide whether to bring him back, or whether to cut him.

There's still talk that, despite the looming suspension, Welbourn walked away in June because the team wouldn't give him a raise. We've also heard rumblings that after Welbourn "retired" he was bad-mouthing the organization to tackle Willie Roaf, at a time when Roaf was going back and forth regarding the question of whether he would retire, too.

The challenge for Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson, as we see it, will be to set aside the past and ask himself whether Welbourn can help to improve an offensive line that could be in shambles with the loss of both starting tackles from the 2005 season.

Frankly, the fact that Kyle Turley a/k/a Crazy Joe Davola is now the starting left tackle after two years on the shelf with chronic back trouble tells us that it's time for the Chiefs to smoke the peace pipe with Welbourn.

Mecca
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I think after a couple games of Kevin Sampson......everyone will want Welbourne back pretty bad.

KC-TBB
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Sounds like he was smokin something other than a peace pipe... ROFL :) ROFL

Rooster
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I thought it was a six game suspension plus another seven games to unretire. That would make him available for three games tops this season. Cut him lose for good IMO.

Rain Man
09-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Our offensive tackle situation is a soap opera.

A timeline:

1. Things look great. Two good starters.
2. Tackle A suddenly retires without notice.
3. Tackle B says he's looking forward to the season.
4. Tackle C is hired after a two-year injury layoff.
5. Tackle D is trying to reclaim a starting job lost due to a toe injury and mysterious illness last year.
6. Tackle A gets suspended.
7. We import Tackle E from Europe.
8. Tackles F and G play tackle, then guard, then tackle, then guard.
9. Tackle B then retires, but there's speculation that he only did it to miss training camp.
10. Tackle A misses training camp, and wants to come back, but can't.
11. Tackle B stays retired even though everyone thinks he's going to do the same thing as Tackle, but without the suspension.
12. Tackle C plays so well that people are wondering if Tackle B is even needed.

If one of these guys gets amnesia, I'm going to suspect that it's rigged.

Hound333
09-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know. I want to win but honestly he has gotten caught twice now. If he wants to juice he needs to just quit football.

chagrin
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Make this thread again in six weeks when he's done with his suspension and we know what our O-line will look like, but as of now no I don't want that stupid roidin freak on our team.

I agree with this

el borracho
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Not even a little interested.

eazyb81
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Hell no.

I have no problem riding with Sampson/Svitek at RT.

Big Slick
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Everybody talks like Welbourne was some big time starter on our great O-line. I keep hearing how bad things are since we lost both our starting tackles, oh no!. Shoot, he didn't even move into the starting lineup until week 8. And that was only due to Roaf and Sampson's injuries, they had to shuffle things up. Welbourne was the 4th different guy to start at RT at that point - Black, Bober, and Sampson all had started ahead of him, but injuries kept things unstable. Our play at RT this year will be just the same as last, which means decent, nothing spectactular. The blocking at LT and FB are the real questions marks.

4th and Long
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's the article from PFT
Good bye credibility

Please. If these morons had the first clue how NFL retirement works, this article would never have been written.

Rooster
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Everybody talks like Welbourne was some big time starter on our great O-line. I keep hearing how bad things are since we lost both our starting tackles, oh no!. Shoot, he didn't even move into the starting lineup until week 8. And that was only due to Roaf and Sampson's injuries, they had to shuffle things up. Welbourne was the 4th different guy to start at RT at that point - Black, Bober, and Sampson all had started ahead of him, but injuries kept things unstable. Our play at RT this year will be just the same as last, which means decent, nothing spectactular. The blocking at LT and FB are the real questions marks.

:clap: I agree.. The postion of RT has been weak ever since Tait left. Welbourne was decent but come on. He is gone, we aren't really missing that much. IMO..

listopencil
09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
A poster over at OM says that because Welbourne has been replaced on the reserve/did not report list he couldn't come back until week 7 and then he would start serving his suspension at that point if the team brought him in. Anybody know?

PunkinDrublic
09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I would take him back on the team in a heartbeat. I wouldn't automatically give him the starting job but we need as much quality depth on the line as possible.

Mecca
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM

Considering he was by far the best one of any of those RT's last year....not to mention this is Shields last year. We probably shouldn't be turning our noses up at any quality lineman at this point.

CoMoChief
09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I think after a couple games of Kevin Sampson......everyone will want Welbourne back pretty bad.

Yup. Welbourn was a solid RT. Sampson simply hasnt been the same after that freak seizure thing he had.

CoMoChief
09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
:clap: I agree.. The postion of RT has been weak ever since Tait left. Welbourne was decent but come on. He is gone, we aren't really missing that much. IMO..

Welbourn is solid at RT. WAAAY better than anyone else we have lining up there. Of course that is if Roaf comes back and Turley goes back there. Wow what a line that would be.

PunkinDrublic
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Considering he was by far the best one of any of those RT's last year....not to mention this is Shields last year. We probably shouldn't be turning our noses up at any quality lineman at this point.

Exactly.