PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 - Five Years Later

Rain Man
09-09-2006, 11:54 PM
PBS just showed a riveting documentary on 9/11. I walked into the room and saw my wife watching it, and watched the rest of the show standing there in the doorway.

I have no connection to New York, and knew no one who was even remotely nearby. However, it's still incredibly stressful to see some of that footage. I'd never seen some of it before, and don't know that I wanted to see it tonight. People in the north tower, lots of them, were hanging out of the windows trying to get air. Apparently all of the exits in that tower had been destroyed, so there was absolutely no way out for those people, even though that tower survived longer.

Particularly shocking was a shot of the big hole in one of the towers. The plane went in at an angle, so the hole was diagonal. And in the lowest part of that hole, below the fires, they zoomed in, and there was a guy standing right at the edge of the hole, exactly where the left wingtip had hit the building. He was right on the edge of this devastation, 800 feet above the ground, hanging on to a piece of the outer wall. I'm really curious if he survived, because he looked fine and was below the fires.

And the people jumping from the buildings...just inconceivable. That footage started and I almost had to leave the room. I was standing there in the doorway watching that and not wanting to watch it, and my foot was practically having a seizure twitching with nervous agitation. It was traumatic to watch five years later on television; I can't even imagine it live.

I don't know if I missed it or if it was kept quiet, but there must have been more people who jumped than I thought. The documentary said that when the first firefighters arrived, the plaza area was littered with the bodies of people who had jumped. Amazingly, there were reports that some of the bodies were from the airplanes, including some people who were still strapped in their seats.

I don't know why I'm posting this, because we'll be inundated by this stuff over the next couple of days. It was just surprisingly traumatic to see that new footage.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm watching "Inside The Twin Towers" on Discovery Channel right now and it's having the same affect on me. It's incredible, the scope of it all, and how we seem to have forgotten in despite how often it's mentioned. It's become a statistic, a reference point, a reason for more politics, something to argue about. What it really is is a jarring tragedy on a scale never before imagined, and that seems to have escaped our memory.

Something that really brought me back, too, was Jon Stewart's first show after the attacks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZfO-Z1CuJ6w

Chiefs Pantalones
09-10-2006, 12:13 AM
We were talking about this in one of my media classes the other day. Let me ask you guys the same question: Do you think it's ethical to show the people jumping out of the towers? My professor says there is nothing wrong with it, because it doesn't show them hitting the ground. What is the difference, exactly? It wasn't like any of those people jumping were going to survive after contact, lol. I just think it crosses the line. I don't know...

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 12:15 AM
We were talking about this in one of my media classes the other day. Let me ask you guys the same question: Do you think it's ethical to show the people jumping out of the towers? My professor says there is nothing wrong with it, because it doesn't show them hitting the ground. What is the difference, exactly? It wasn't like any of those people jumping were going to survive after contact, lol. I just think it crosses the line. I don't know...

It needs to be shown. We'll forget it was real if it isn't.

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I had no idea. I thought it was a dozen or so people.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-09-02-jumper_x.htm

And I agree, the memories of the event itself are fading, being replaced by a term called "September 11th". I see this stuff again in a fresh form, and it hits with a new force.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:19 AM

I think they should show it. People need to understand what the F happened. Folks wanna make it go away so bad so they can race back to their daily routines of going to Starbucks and bitching about Bush and the war in Iraq. Or whatever tree hugging bullshit they talk about.

It shows a harsh reality of what happened. I think those images should be imprinted, so we dont ever forget what happened that day...

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 12:21 AM

I was debating that internally this evening. It was sickening to see, as disturbing as anything I've seen in a long time.

I think if it's show for news or documentary purposes. The horror should not be hidden. However, it should be shown very carefully and judiciously. The article I referenced mentioned that newspapers intentionally limited the photos of the jumpers since they were such a strong image, and I think that's reasonable.

The only thing I worry about is that the images will be shown more freely as time passes. It was so seriously disturbing to me to see it that I don't want to see it again. Once was enough.

Calcountry
09-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Bush lied, people died.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I think they should show it. People need to understand what the F happened. Folks wanna make it go away so bad so they can race back to their daily routines of going to Starbucks and bitching about Bush and the war in Iraq. Or whatever tree hugging bullshit they talk about.

It shows a harsh reality of what happened. I think those images should be imprinted, so we dont ever forget what happened that day...

So if you were a GM of a tv network, you'd show it? I'm not saying I wouldn't. I know I wouldn't show the dead bodies, and no network did. A lot of hands were tied.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Rainman, do you know the title of that show on PBS? I would like to get a copy.

I did a search on Amazon for it, but the only hit was "The Road to 9/11" I believe it focuses more of the history leading up to and including 9/11 - Haha, as the title states...

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
That day, I would have showed it. I wouldn't use it for stock footage a year later. But that day, it was news.

I must admit to a horrific fascination with the plaza now, and what it must've looked like. The article I linked earlier mentioned that a firefighter was killed by a falling person, and there was blood all over the windows of the buildings. They had to move the command center to avoid the people.

I'd like to have a five-second glimpse of what it looked like, and then never see it again.

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Rainman, do you know the title of that show on PBS? I would like to get a copy.

I did a search on Amazon for it, but the only hit was "The Road to 9/11" I believe it focuses more of the history leading up to and including 9/11 - Haha, as the title states...

I'm afraid that I never got the name, and I was looking for it, too. I entered after it had already started, though.

Hang on. I'll see if it's listed in the newspaper.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:29 AM
So if you were a GM of a tv network, you'd show it? I'm not saying I wouldn't. I know I wouldn't show the dead bodies, and no network did. A lot of hands were tied.

I watched a lot of footage the day it happened. Pretty much all day. It was around the second or third day, they got the call to stop replaying all that footage...

That is a good question, as they are only doing what they are told to do. I know it hurts people's feelings, but still feel it should have been shown...

To be honest, I did not see a whole lot of the footage of folks jumping as most the major networks did not show it. I did see a lot of first hand accounts right as it, and right after it happened.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm afraid that I never got the name, and I was looking for it, too. I entered after it had already started, though.

I just looked it up at Time Warners online guide..

Does this sound familiar?

Surviving September 11th: The Story of One New York Family

The psychological and emotional stress following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks as experienced by one family, including a grandmother, her daughter and granddaughter, who were all within a block of the World Trade Center as the day unfolded.

It wont let you go backwards, but I see that started at 11 pm Pacific time.

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 12:42 AM

"The Center of the World" on PBS's American Experience show.

I thought I had walked in early, but I hadn't. It's a three-hour show that also covers the building and history of the towers. Coincidentally, I must've walked in right when the section on the attack started.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:45 AM
"The Center of the World" on PBS's American Experience show.

I thought I had walked in early, but I hadn't. It's a three-hour show that also covers the building and history of the towers. Coincidentally, I must've walked in right when the section on the attack started.

Thank you sir. I will see if I can get a copy of that...

Guru
09-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Thank you sir. I will see if I can get a copy of that...
Torrent it please.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Torrent it please.

Oh snap, you just went pass my limited skill set :)

I need to get it first...

Guru
09-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Oh snap, you just went pass my limited skill set :)

I need to get it first...

Well, you can just let me know where you got it then. :)

Guru
09-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Here is the website but no video.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, you can just let me know where you got it then. :)

I just finally found it on Amazon. Here is the link

Clicky (http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Center-World-Part/dp/B0000AQS6X/ref=imdbpov_dvd_1/103-2811554-0268610?ie=UTF8)

This is part 8, it seems to be the correct one. I am hoping Rainman will confirm. I am thinking about buying this tonight...

It is the one from the official PBS website. So I am 99% sure that's it.

PBS Link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/index.html)

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/filmmore/index.html

Here's information on the film.

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2006, 01:18 AM
9/11 was 2 days after the Raider game which I attended

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
9/11 was 2 days after the Raider game which I attended

Me too :)

I kinda feel bad, the morning it was all going down my girl called me and said something like get up, the end of the world is happening...

I was all groggy and asked her if something happened to Football.

Rain Man
09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
I just finally found it on Amazon. Here is the link

Clicky (http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Center-World-Part/dp/B0000AQS6X/ref=imdbpov_dvd_1/103-2811554-0268610?ie=UTF8)

This is part 8, it seems to be the correct one. I am hoping Rainman will confirm. I am thinking about buying this tonight...

It is the one from the official PBS website. So I am 99% sure that's it.

PBS Link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/index.html)

For some reason your Amazon link is freezing up on me, so I can't confirm. However, hopefully you can look at the link I put up to see if it's the same thing.

ChiefFan31
09-10-2006, 01:21 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/filmmore/index.html

Here's information on the film.

Cool, that is it then...

Ari Chi3fs
09-10-2006, 01:25 AM
My kid was born about a month after 9-11. My wife was watching something about this a week or so ago... And my son says.

"Mom, what is that?"

"Uh, Well, its a true story. These men took a couple planes from pilots, and ran them into those big buildings."

"Why?"

"Well, some people we mad and thought that crashing into the building was a good idea. Its a really sad story."

"Well, why are you watching it?"

heh.

If its sad? Why watch it? My kid is smart.

I think after the 5 year mark... anniversaries 6-9 will be less dramatic. 10 will be doozy.

greg63
09-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Torrent it please.

Ditto!

greg63
09-10-2006, 03:07 AM
NEVER FORGET.

stumppy
09-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Torrent it please.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Psyko Tek
09-10-2006, 05:07 AM
The worse part
wasn't watching the deaths, or the towers come down...
that was bad I cried and screamed and hurt, but that wasn't the worse part

the worse was listening to my girlfriend explain it to her 5 year old
he asked the question, "why?"

I wanted to turn the middle east into a sheet of glass that day...
I still wonder if that might not have been better

NEVER FORGET

runnercyclist
09-10-2006, 06:26 AM
I haven't forgotten.

Chiefnj
09-10-2006, 07:51 AM
One of the documentaries (perhaps the French one) was with firefighters who were inside the building as they were staging to go up the stairs and you can hear the sounds in the background. Nobody says what it is, but you know, you just know.

Bugeater
09-10-2006, 08:15 AM
One of the documentaries (perhaps the French one) was with firefighters who were inside the building as they were staging to go up the stairs and you can hear the sounds in the background. Nobody says what it is, but you know, you just know.
Yes, that was the French guys' one. That was ominous...one of the most chilling sounds I've ever heard. I watched "Inside the Twin Towers" last night as well, they said around 100 people chose to jump.

ZepSinger
09-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Rainman, I happened to read that very same article about a month ago. I had no idea that the figure of those who jumped was close to 200. And the way witnesses described the condition of the jumpers' bodies upon impact- absolutely horrible. I recently saw a WTC video where you could see the 1st floor plaza area's walls almost totally covered in sprayed blood. I can't get that out of my mind.

We should never forget it.

Z

carlos3652
09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
If someone can get it on torrent, please let me know, I am really interested...

This day should never be forgotten...

greg63
09-11-2006, 12:24 AM
If someone can get it on torrent, please let me know, I am really interested...

This day should never be forgotten...

Same here.

ChiefFan31
09-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Okay fellas, There are several that asked now. I will do what it takes to Torrent this for others, but you gotta be patient.

I will purchase this in the next few days, but it is going to take a couple of weeks to get it from Amazon.com.

I will need to PM pr_capone and find out how to edit and upload to a torrent site. I have never done this. But hang tight, and I will make it happen. I will make a thread when its ready.

9/11 Never Forget...

and to the guy who watched the WTC video of the plaza, those images Must be burnt into your brain. That would be real tough to watch.

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 12:58 AM
No one has forgotten. Jesus.

Thig Lyfe
09-11-2006, 01:07 AM
No one has forgotten. Jesus.

I don't know. Yes, people haven't forgotten that 9/11 happened, but it seems they have completely forgotten what it was. Now it's just another vocab term in an American History textbook with no real meaning, a term filled with nothing but politics.

I don't know. There's a difference between merely remembering that something happened and remembering what happened.

Straight, No Chaser
09-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Props to CBS for airing it uncut. And Props for agreeing to pay the FCC fines for language. Screw the ultra cons who demanded the fines...

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't know. Yes, people haven't forgotten that 9/11 happened, but it seems they have completely forgotten what it was. Now it's just another vocab term in an American History textbook with no real meaning, a term filled with nothing but politics.

I don't know. There's a difference between merely remembering that something happened and remembering what happened.What do you suggest we do? Wear sack cloth on the 11th of every month?

There comes a point when life must go on. Remembering the event, the victims (both living and dead), and the way it affects us to this day is appropriate. But just because it was an unimaginably momentous event in American history doesn't mean people should still be acting like it happened yesterday.

DanT
09-11-2006, 02:07 AM
If I recall correctly, Mayor Giuliani mentioned the bodies falling in one of his earliest media interviews, given as he was himself evacuating the area. Also, that night, I talked to one of my friends who was at a hotel in the WTC plaza that morning, and he also mentioned, in an oblique way, that the images of falling bodies were searing. The way he put it was that if he wouldn't ever need to wonder what it looks like when somebody lands from a long fall.

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 02:11 AM
By the way, here (http://www.tarrif.net/wtc) are some photos and a brief recounting of the events of 9/11-9/15 from a guy who worked in WTC 7.

cookster50
09-11-2006, 05:51 AM
By the way, here (http://www.tarrif.net/wtc) are some photos and a brief recounting of the events of 9/11-9/15 from a guy who worked in WTC 7.

Thanks, that was great(well, you know what I mean).

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks, that was great(well, you know what I mean).They're apparently going to be added to part of a Smithsonian exhibit today.

Honestly, it does feel like it was yesterday, even though I said earlier that acting like it happened yesterday served no purpose whatsoever. Just thinking about it brings me right back to the state of shock I was in that entire day and the following weeks. I don't think I'll ever look back and say, "it seems so long ago."

And that was from a thousand miles away.

greg63
09-11-2006, 06:09 AM
They're apparently going to be added to part of a Smithsonian exhibit today.

Honestly, it does feel like it was yesterday, even though I said earlier that acting like it happened yesterday served no purpose whatsoever. Just thinking about it brings me right back to the state of shock I was in that entire day and the following weeks. I don't think I'll ever look back and say, "it seems so long ago."

It is still very vivid in my mind as well.

cookster50
09-11-2006, 06:18 AM
They're apparently going to be added to part of a Smithsonian exhibit today.

Read that site, then went to Drudge and saw a report on Abu Ghraib being handed over to the Iraqis and the terror suspects are apparently being tortured and a part of me didn't think that was so bad.

greg63
09-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Okay fellas, There are several that asked now. I will do what it takes to Torrent this for others, but you gotta be patient.

I will purchase this in the next few days, but it is going to take a couple of weeks to get it from Amazon.com.

I will need to PM pr_capone and find out how to edit and upload to a torrent site. I have never done this. But hang tight, and I will make it happen. I will make a thread when its ready.

9/11 Never Forget...

and to the guy who watched the WTC video of the plaza, those images Must be burnt into your brain. That would be real tough to watch.

Thanks! :thumb:

boogblaster
09-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Violence is never a positive..sadly it usually is the answer..this time it was the eye-opener to a country that usually turns a deaf-ear..the dig tho is our commander-in-chief is in bed with the enemy..dont forget and keep your eyes open.... BOOG....

greg63
09-11-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanx for the pics.

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm just pissed off today. This has alot to do with it I'm sure.

I think this footage SHOULD be required viewing, especially in High Schools and colleges, so that people understand the Brutality enemies of our country are capable of, and wish upon us.

Making it a prettier, less brutal picture lessens the idea of the danger these "people" pose.

I see Zero reason to make it "easier" to watch. It was horrible stuff that happend that day, and it should be remembered exactly for what it was and what they'd like it to be again.

cookster50
09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Don't forget that Islam is a religion of peace and they condemn terrorism.
http://www.memrifilms.org/

BigOlChiefsfan
09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2003/030903_mfe_falling_1.html

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000167.html

http://www.rleeermey.com/attack.html

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/WTC.Jeff.Christensen.jpg

http://lashawnbarber.com/images/dougkanterAFP.jpg

http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=4030

http://www.sandiegochronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=13349

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/06.09.08.ConfrontTerV.gif

Jmart
09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I read an article that said that when people in the second tower saw the jumpers, that was what they needed to ingnore the announcement of "go back to your desks, everything is fine" and get the heck out of there. As horrible as it was, hopefully they did not suffer as much as they would have otherwise and saved a lot of other lives in the process.