PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we aren't doomed.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Let's look at the positive.

1. The first 25 minutes of the game were actually pretty good on both sides of the ball. With some more aggressive playcalling the Chiefs could have built a lead early.

2. All the defense has to do is learn how to adjust to a change in pace. It wasn't until the hurry-up that the D started to suck. Then when they slowed down the D was actually acceptable.

3. LJ looked great. all they have to do is get him the ball more.

4. Trent might not be as injured as it seems. If he comes back, the offense has a chance at being good enough to win.

Aw, who the f*ck am I kidding, we're doomed.

TrickyNicky
09-10-2006, 02:10 PM
The first quarter could've been a lot better if LJ didn't drop that pitch and Dante Hall didn't try to do a jumping catch with his eyes upfield on that return.

Who knows, we might not have had to play like we had to catch up, Trent might not have gotten drilled, and the game could've turned out differently. I don't think Al Saunders would have done a better job calling plays.

I loved the ol' Gonzo catching a whole slew of passes on the way to a TD, been a while since we've seen that.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
that's true. Those two plays set the mood for the whole game. Get a score on that first drive, don't run up the middle on 3rd and five, and have dante hold onto the ball and you're looking at at least 17-0 right out of the gate.

Marcellus
09-10-2006, 02:13 PM
We win next week at Denver,take the bye week off,Huard/Croyle beats San Fran and Green returns for the win vs. Arizona. 3-1.

Oh yea, Black gets cut.

TrickyNicky
09-10-2006, 02:14 PM
It was pretty sad when the commentators were begging Willie Roaf to come back though.

JBucc
09-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Dante gets next week to redeem himself against his favorite team, if he does this again, get another kick returner.

Calcountry
09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Let's look at the positive.

1. The first 25 minutes of the game were actually pretty good on both sides of the ball. With some more aggressive playcalling the Chiefs could have built a lead early.

2. All the defense has to do is learn how to adjust to a change in pace. It wasn't until the hurry-up that the D started to suck. Then when they slowed down the D was actually acceptable.

3. LJ looked great. all they have to do is get him the ball more.

4. Trent might not be as injured as it seems. If he comes back, the offense has a chance at being good enough to win.

Aw, who the f*ck am I kidding, we're doomed.Right up until Herm calls a run play on 3rd and 5, happy to get the field goal.

Fumble by Dante. wow.

kaplin42
09-10-2006, 02:18 PM
All I can say is that Black should have nothing to do with a football. He allowed all the pressure, got burnt so many times and basicaly was inept out there.

Jordan Black should get back to his locker and find it cleaned out. If I was edwards he would have been cut by half time. What a pile of crap on the field he is.

May Treant be healthy and a quick recovery. But even if that happens, I don't know if I want him back in there, just because Black will cause him to be injured to a greater extent.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 02:19 PM
There was only one play that could even be considered questionable, and that was the run on 3rd and 5 inside the 20.

The players on the field didn't execute today and that's why they lost. The coaches did just fine with playcalling. Now why they trotted Jordan Black out there...that's something to get on the coaching staff about...

Mecca
09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
It didn't help that a couple of times Justin Smith basically grabbed Turley and tossed him at the QB....

Skip Towne
09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Dante gets next week to redeem himself against his favorite team, if he does this again, get another kick returner.
YOUR AND IDIOT

58-4ever
09-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Everything bad that could've happened....happened. Turnovers galore, Trent going down, the refs screwing us with a few penalties (second offensive pass interference, the Green slide).

I hope the doctors clear Green to play in Mile High. It would be sweeter to win that game than the bitterness of losing this game.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Right up until Herm calls a run play on 3rd and 5, happy to get the field goal.

Whitlock just questioned Herm about that call in the postgame press conference. All Herm said was that it was "miscommunication, ill leave it at that"

beer bacon
09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Our defense actually only game up 243 total yards and 3.4 yards per rush. Who would have thought we get blown out at home with those stats on defense?

the Talking Can
09-10-2006, 02:25 PM
we had huge penalties that killed our offense...

we have one huge, glaring problem - besides Trent's health - and that is our OL...when Trent has time he can pick anyone apart, when he has to scramble we're screwed...

even though Gunther played Law 8 yards off the WR and let them throw 5 yard outs routes REPEATEDLY, and ran his obvious 8 man blitz twice as if they wouldn't fiure it out the second time you douche bag, our D still only gave up 17 meaningful points...that's not bad, I can see some promise there...

lots of teams have looked like shit early on...for some wierd resean I'm not despondent...we're breaking in a new OC and new OT's...hopefully Sampson or Svitek will replace Black...

I think the defense will prove to have played fairly well when the numbers are crunched...I might be wrong..I am very disappointed in the run up the butt call on 3rd and five in the red zone...and I'm not sure how much we can improve the OL, but remember Shields gets better as the season progresses and the OL haven't had any time to gel yet

there is still hope...and even better, there is schaudenfreude (?): Joke Plunger threw 3 INTs today and Denver lost to the pitiful Rams...

ps

there is an ebb and flow to the season.....trial by fire early and maybe we come out stronger for it....or maybe we collapse..we'll see

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 02:25 PM
It didn't help that a couple of times Justin Smith basically grabbed Turley and tossed him at the QB....

That was Black.

There's no need to embellish in an effort to make a point...

dirk digler
09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
THe Bengals had 7 sacks and I am sure Black gave up 5

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
There's no reason for LJ not getting 100 yards in this game. He needed to get the ball more, and in situations that make sense.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Also, three teams in the AFC west will be 0-1 by Tuesday.

TrickyNicky
09-10-2006, 02:32 PM
We aren't doomed. But the sky is starting to crack, I caught a whiff of Brimstone, and the finger is firmly on the button.

C-Mac
09-10-2006, 02:40 PM
There was only one play that could even be considered questionable, and that was the run on 3rd and 5 inside the 20.

The players on the field didn't execute today and that's why they lost. The coaches did just fine with playcalling. Now why they trotted Jordan Black out there...that's something to get on the coaching staff about...

There were too many predictable plays for me.
Run first down, run second down, pass on third. You just set yourself up for the D to tee off.

isired
09-10-2006, 02:41 PM
With some more aggressive playcalling the Chiefs could have built a lead early.

that and poor/nonexistent halftime adjustments were the 2 biggest knocks against herm's jets teams. oh, and lack of clock management, but that wasn't really applicable here... i know you don't want to hear it from a jets fan today, i didn't come on to troll/flame, i feel for you guys today.

as for green, that was a vicious lick... hope he gets back up soon.

Basileus777
09-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Our defense could have been worse, we could have given up over 250 yards rushing like Carolina.

the Talking Can
09-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Our defense could have been worse, we could have given up over 250 yards rushing like Carolina.

lots of teams looked like shit today...Carolina, Denver, Seattle barely beat Detroit...

Marcellus
09-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Had Green not gone down hard I wouldn't feel doomed right now. I blame that on coach's decision to start I-65.

That being said, I still think our D played well except for the second quarter. They will get better.
Rudy under 100 yards, Palmer under 200 yds I believe.
I never thought I would say they screwed up by not running LJ more but that was the case. It was like they were trying to prove they weren't going to "take the air out of the ball" and it cost us Green.

Frankie
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
The first quarter could've been a lot better if LJ didn't drop that pitch and Dante Hall didn't try to do a jumping catch with his eyes upfield on that return.

Not to excuse LJ, but that pitch should never have been called. We had a 2nd and a couple of feet for Pete's sake, why toss the ball back that far?

As for Dante, why was he in the offensive game plan so much? :shrug:

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Not to excuse LJ, but that pitch should never have been called. We had a 2nd and a couple of feet for Pete's sake, why toss the ball back that far?

As for Dante, why was he in the offensive game plan so much? :shrug:

True that. Again, playcalling.

And, of course the OL was total crap, but this is supposed to be a fast offense. Samie or Tony should be open in two seconds and the QB needs to get it there. That just didn't happen after the first quarter.

Frankie
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Our defense actually only game up 243 total yards and 3.4 yards per rush. Who would have thought we get blown out at home with those stats on defense?
3 downs x 3.4 = 10.2 yards = First down.

No good.

mississippichiefan
09-10-2006, 03:09 PM
There's no reason for LJ not getting 100 yards in this game. He needed to get the ball more, and in situations that make sense.

I agree , the play that Trent got hurt on was a 2 and 2 , LJ had just ran 8 yards on first down . Why not keep runinng and get your offensive line going on there run blocking and also keep the Bengal offense off the field .

Count Zarth
09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
This defense is much, much better. Surtain had a chance to intercept two passes against a very good quarterback.

That was one of the best offenses out there and we held them to 236 yards.

Plummer is going to be LOST next week. He can't read a defense to save his life.

beer bacon
09-10-2006, 03:19 PM
There were too many predictable plays for me.
Run first down, run second down, pass on third. You just set yourself up for the D to tee off.

Herm said in the postgame Q&A that the 3rd and five run was a communications mistake.

Marcellus
09-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree , the play that Trent got hurt on was a 2 and 2 , LJ had just ran 8 yards on first down . Why not keep runinng and get your offensive line going on there run blocking and also keep the Bengal offense off the field .

Yup. We should have at least went play action. Solari is trying too hard to be Saunders.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:21 PM
This defense is much, much better. Surtain had a chance to intercept two passes against a very good quarterback.

That was one of the best offenses out there and we held them to 236 yards.

Plummer is going to be LOST next week. He can't read a defense to save his life.

It's weird to say this, but if the Chiefs win next week it will be because of the defense.

CupidStunt
09-10-2006, 03:21 PM

No good.

Please. Every defense in football would take a season's worth of allowing 3.4 ypc.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 03:23 PM

If thats the only example you saw at piss poor play calling then you and I watched different games.

Now why they trotted Jordan Black out there...that's something to get on the coaching staff about...

Yeah that too.

beer bacon
09-10-2006, 03:23 PM

No good.

It obviously doesn't work like that. By this fantastic logic no team in the NFL last season should have ever been able to stop an offense since no defense had better then 3.4 ypc against last season. Why didn't offenses just run every down last season? They would have been unstoppable! Just think, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4 all the way to the endzone!

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
We should have just put Dunn at RT instead of Black.

Count Zarth
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
It's weird to say this, but if the Chiefs win next week it will be because of the defense.

It's going to be sweet.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
ESPN News just said that the Chiefs "certainly expect" Trent to play by Week 4.

Maybe we really aren't doomed after all.

the Talking Can
09-10-2006, 03:40 PM
ESPN News just said that the Chiefs "certainly expect" Trent to play by Week 4.

Maybe we really aren't doomed after all.

it's a test doom...a proto-type doom

Frankie
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
It obviously doesn't work like that. By this fantastic logic no team in the NFL last season should have ever been able to stop an offense since no defense had better then 3.4 ypc against last season. Why didn't offenses just run every down last season? They would have been unstoppable! Just think, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4 all the way to the endzone!
I realize that. But it's hard to think we've played reliable run 'D' if the bad guys keep making 3.4 a shot.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
It's going to be sweet.

You're dreaming.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
You're dreaming.

No, really. If they can neutralize Carson and Chad, no way they can't be all over Jake and force a few TOs.

Count Zarth
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm not. Plummer is a total goof. He's nowhere near Carson Palmer. I'll say it right now. We'll get three interceptions off him.

Frankie
09-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not. Plummer is a total goof. He's nowhere near Carson Palmer. I'll say it right now. We'll get three interceptions off him.
'cept he runs better bootleg than Palmer. And untill we can pull that thorn out of our sides I'm still worried about the Denver 'O.'

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
'cept he runs better bootleg than Palmer. And untill we can pull that thorn out of our sides I'm still worried about the Denver 'O.'

Tamba > Hicks

I don't think the bootleg will make up for the combination of Jake's general incompetency and the Chiefs' strong front 7.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Probably a low scoring game but with our O line and Huard starting against a better D than we saw today? Don't be such a homer, Denver wins this one by double figures.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Probably a low scoring game but with our O line and Huard starting against a better D than we saw today? Don't be such a homer, Denver wins this one by double figures.

I think Solari will have figured out that LJ needs the ball more than 17 times. He should get 25 carries and 125 yards plus a touchdown. That plus Plummer should equal at least a chance at a win.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I think Solari will have figured out that LJ needs the ball more than 17 times. He should get 25 carries and 125 yards plus a touchdown. That plus Plummer should equal at least a chance at a win.

With Huard in, Denver will stack 9/10 in the box and shut down LJ cold. I agree he should get the ball more but it will have to be quick dump off passes to him over the middle. With this line and Huard we basically have NO weapons. This line can't block 5, how will they block 10? Cincy gave us that answer in the 2nd half today.

Calcountry
09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
lots of teams looked like shit today...Carolina, Denver, Seattle barely beat Detroit...They should just make the Preseason games count as tie breakers, and that would end all this coming out of preseason looking rusty crap.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 03:59 PM
With Huard in, Denver will stack 9/10 in the box and shut down LJ cold. I agree he should get the ball more but it will have to be quick dump off passes to him over the middle. With this line and Huard we basically have NO weapons. This line can't block 5, how will they block 10? Cincy gave us that answer in the 2nd half today.

Shit, if they put 10 in the box all you need is a quick slant to dante or a quick floater to Tony off a release. Even Huard can do that.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Shit, if they put 10 in the box all you need is a quick slant to dante or a quick floater to Tony off a release. Even Huard can do that.

Cincy did it to him and got 7 sacks and a couple fumbles.

Frankie
09-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Tamba > Hicks
I realize that. But that's still theory until I see our LDE shut that door.

Frankie
09-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I think Solari will have figured out that LJ needs the ball more than 17 times. He should get 25 carries and 125 yards plus a touchdown. Yeah but we fell too far behind too fast. We had to play more pass than our OC had planned.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
If thats the only example you saw at piss poor play calling then you and I watched different games.

That was the only example of "piss poor" playcalling.

Yep, it most certainly was.

At some point, the players on the field have to do what they're told. No more stupid penalties and not blocking their guy...

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
That was the only example of "piss poor" playcalling.

Yep, it most certainly was.

At some point, the players on the field have to do what they're told. No more stupid penalties and not blocking their guy...

The whole game plan going in was piss poor. LJ was takin out of the game by our own coaching staff. You can't hold him to less than 5 carries a quarter in the mud.

Hell even the play Trent got clocked on was a 2nd and ****ing 2 from the 50. From the shotgun, not another example of bad play calling?

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Cincy did it to him and got 7 sacks and a couple fumbles.

Maybe if it doesn't rain? :shrug:

I'm reaching at this point.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah but we fell too far behind too fast. We had to play more pass than our OC had planned.

Wouldn't have happpened with more LJ earlier.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
The whole game plan going in was piss poor. LJ was takin out of the game by our own coaching staff. You can't hold him to less than 5 carries a quarter in the mud.

Hell even the play Trent got clocked on was a 2nd and ****ing 2 from the 50. From the shotgun, not another example of bad play calling?

You can't run the ball on every 2nd and 2, especially when your offense hasn't moved the ball all game.

Was it great playcalling? Not in alot of cases. But there was only one play that was BLATANTLY bad. And beyond that, alot of the playcalling was necessitated by POOR EXECUTION.

Alot of things contributed to this loss. Playcalling, if it's on the list, is at the very bottom.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 04:57 PM
You can't run the ball on every 2nd and 2, especially when your offense hasn't moved the ball all game.

Was it great playcalling? Not in alot of cases. But there was only one play that was BLATANTLY bad. And beyond that, alot of the playcalling was necessitated by POOR EXECUTION.

Alot of things contributed to this loss. Playcalling, if it's on the list, is at the very bottom.

I agree that playcalling isn't 1st on the list, it's overall O line play. But lining up in the shotgun on 2nd a 2 at the 50 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd is very stupid. I thought this O was about ball control.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 05:02 PM
You can't run the ball on every 2nd and 2

Yes you can.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes you can.

And you can fail.

And then you can get accused of neutering the offense.

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
And you can fail.

And then you can get accused of neutering the offense.

If you give LJ two tries at two yards, the success rate will be higher than going shotgun with Jordan Black at RT.

OldTownChief
09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
You don't have to run the ball on 2nd and 2 but lining up in the shotgun is moronic unless you're running the two minute O or 30 points down in the 3rd. It was a horrible play call, just like the 3rd and 5 (should have been the shotgun)

beer bacon
09-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I realize that. But it's hard to think we've played reliable run 'D' if the bad guys keep making 3.4 a shot.

The thing is, a team giving up only 3.4 ypc almost always means they have a reliable run defense. So basically, you are completely wrong.

A team averaging 3.4 yards per carry doesn't actually mean that they run for exactly 3.4 yards on every rush. What you do, is you actually add up how many yards all the carries equaled. and then you divide that number by how many times total the team carried the ball. The result of this is the team's average yards per carry.

For example, today the Chiefs gave up runs of 22, 16, 9, and 8 yards. The average yards per carry for those four rushes comes out to a hefty 13.75 yards per carry. The thing is, when you add in all the other carries, many for little or no gain, the total average yards per carry is 3.4.

On the field what that meant was that the Bengals had a few drives where big gains led to first downs and a few TDs. What it also meant was that all those runs for no gain or short gains contributed to quite a few three and outs and punts.