PDA

View Full Version : Gotta look at the positives...

Skini
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Ever since I was little my dad told me to look at the positives in everything, because no matter what bad things happen there is always some sort of positive that you can take from it. Despite being a rather ugly game, there are positives that can be taken from this weekend.

-The Broncos lost to the Rams today. The Chargers and Raiders play Monday night. We are in 2nd place in the division. I point this out because it is one game out of 16, you win some and you lose some.
-Our defense looked great in the first quarter, and overall they did well against the run. Johnson didnít break 100 yards on the day, and was held to 3.4 YPC.
-The defense also prevented big plays
-Jared Allen is a beast, 7 tackles and a sack
-It was great to see Hicks NOT on the field!
-When you factor in all the turnovers and how quickly the offense would punt it away at times, the defense actually had a good day.
-LJ put out 150 yards of total offense today, and for only getting 17 carries that is a good day.
-We have a bye week for week 3
-Maybe Roaf was watching and saw how much he was needed.

You can say iím digging for the good if you want, but what else can you do? If Trent is out for an extended period of time it appears that we have an option in Volek, although Iím not sure how much that would help. Personally I would really like to see Croyle get some playing time, IF Trent is out.

The biggest positive of all though is that they are OUR Kansas City Chiefs, and through thick and thin we love em. Oh yeah and MIZZOU is 2-0 :)

Have a nice evening yall.

el borracho
09-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Big year coming for Gonzalez and LJ.

el borracho
09-10-2006, 03:40 PM
And I would like to give credit to Herm for the fake punt. Too little, too late but still a good play.

HC_Chief
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
The D looked MUCH better once Knight was replaced by Page!! Kinght was beat over & over in zone coverage. So much so that Law was screaming at him. Dude is too slow.

D did a good job for the most part.

The O showed flashes. Too bad Jordan "ole" Black sucks giant horse cock :grr:

Good thing we have one hell of a punter.

Count Alex's Losses
09-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I actually called that fake punt on my couch. Big ups to Herm.

I thought the defense looked pretty good.

CupidStunt
09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Defense will be for real. I'm excited for that.

Offense, too. But really shit.

Count Alex's Losses
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it was great to see Solari calling Gonzo's number. He's going to have a great year.

Also, I thought Damon Huard played well. Yeah, the fumbles were bad, but what did you expect? When he threw the ball, he threw it well.

TrickyNicky
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
To see Allen still playing hard as hell when everyone else looked to be jogging brought a smile to my face for sure. The rest of the D then fed off of him too.

Demonpenz
09-10-2006, 03:49 PM
My fantasy team is doing well and the chiefs are doing about as good as they can given their draft.

LIGHTS OUT!

the Talking Can
penalties killed us, and LJ fumbling on the second play leading to a punt, Dante fumbling, Kennison (I think) botching an easy catch which resulted in a int...these things kill you...

the D was better than I expected to be honest...

CupidStunt
"Given their draft"?

Hali's going to be a stud, and he's going to make "draft experts" look like f*cking idiots.

HC_Chief
09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
penalties killed us, and LJ fumbling on the second play leading to a punt, Dante fumbling, Kennison (I think) botching an easy catch which resulted in a int...these things kill you...

the D was better than I expected to be honest...

That was Parker.

Why, again, did we not go after Stallworth or Branch?

Otter
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, it was great to see Solari calling Gonzo's number. He's going to have a great year.

Also, I thought Damon Huard played well. Yeah, the fumbles were bad, but what did you expect? When he threw the ball, he threw it well.

I agree, however, why did it take Trent being taken out of the game to start calling number 88?

Gonzo seems very underutalized for what he's capable of.

grandllama
The only positive I can think of is that we've only got 16 more weeks until offseason.

That and Trent, LJ, Tony, and Jared actually looked liked they have a little pride and weren't just in it for a paycheck.

Tony will get fined for kicking the ball at the end, but damn it was nice to see some passion... from anybody...

Count Alex's Losses
Honestly, it was a weird opening day. If you had told me we would hold the Bengals to 236 yards of offense, I'd have said we won, easy.

Count Alex's Losses
09-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Also, I have to complain about the lack of play action passes called early. WTF were they thinking? They should have come out throwing PA passes.

Reerun_KC
09-10-2006, 03:54 PM
My fantasy team is doing well and the chiefs are doing about as good as they can given their Head Coach.

Fixed your post.

Yeah my fantasy team is rocking today as well. I learned along time ago. No Chiefs = very good team...

Demonpenz
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
everything went wrong this game. I bet logical and mecca are jerking themselves off

Marcellus
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree, however, why did it take Trent being taken out of the game to start calling number 88?

I totally agree. Had we gone to Gonzo earlier I think the results would have been better.

Hopefully Solari learned from that.

Simplex3
09-10-2006, 04:02 PM

They kept Gonzo in to block so that Green wouldn't get killed. Nobody cares if Huard takes a beating.

PunkinDrublic
09-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the defense had a pretty solid day today. They managed to come out and confuse Palmer and Co. Yeah Cincy came back and made the necessary adjustments but that's what great offenses do. The Bengals didn't do anything to our defense that they hadn't done to other teams. Notice they didn't have an answer for Jared Allen. At one point their guy had to chop block Jared to keep Palmer from getting killed. Tamba had a pretty good debut as well, he forced their veteran guard Willie Anderson to have to hold him and he got flagged. Whichever CB said they didn't expect Chad Johnson to see the endzone walked the walk and Chad had a pretty quiet day.

Definately room for improvement on defense but a good debut against one of the best offenses we'll see all season.

banyon
09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Your dad is and idiot.

BigRock
09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
The defense looked decent. They gave up the one big drive where the Bengals went no-huddle, but that was about it. Every other score came with the Bengals starting in great field position (twice inside the red zone, once inside the thirty, once at midfield) and the D forced field goals all but once.

They gave up more rushing yards than I would have thought, though.

Count Alex's Losses
09-10-2006, 04:18 PM
WE STOPPED 85!!!!!!!

HC_Chief
09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
They kept Gonzo in to block so that Green wouldn't get killed. Nobody cares if Huard takes a beating.

That's what Jason Dunn is for, not #88.

Hey, here's a thought: START JASON DUNN AT RIGHT TACKLE!!!!

KCChiefsFan88
09-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I really don't see any positives in this game, but I think things should be kept in perspective.... it is 1 game out of a 16 season game season.

First of all simply subtracting Jordan Black is addition by subtraction, which means having Sampson or Svitek in there at RT would be an upgrade for the O-line as a whole.

Assuming Trent can return after the bye week, that means the Chiefs will have a likely, but managable 0-2 hole to overcome with a favorable schedule in early October.

More 2-TE/1-RB sets (having Dunn in there at all times to pass protect), more quick, 3-step dropbacks and emphasize having checkdown options (which would also help get LJ more involved in the passing game) are all things the Chiefs can do to enhance their pass protection.

The best news on defense is the fact the Chiefs probably aren't going to face an offense of Cincy's caliber the rest of this season. I'd like to see the Chiefs trash that soft coverage shit and go with more aggressive man-to-man coverage. Also the Chiefs had at least 2 interception opportunities (one that Kawika should have made early on and one that Surtain should have had later in the game).

As shitty as it looks, other teams in years past have been in just as shitty situations week 1 (New England getting destroyed 31-0 three years ago, Denver getted destroyed 34-10 last year, etc) and have been able to recover to make a playoff run.

TinyEvel
09-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Has anybody mentioned...we kept that trash-talking punk Chad Johnson out of the endzone.
A loss is a loss I guess. But there were flashes of brilliance. Being there in person it's easy to see how the momentum can shift.
Props to Gonzo. LOVE to see him getting the plays (and no, he's not on my fantasy team)
full game report coming (with pics) when I get back home.

oldandslow
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
The D looked pretty good. Hali was all over the field and Allen was Allen. I loved the hit Mitchell put on early in the game...

The OL is in deep trouble tho...