PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for a QB to come back from a serious concusion?

PastorMikH
09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
I guess it's been too long since I saw Young play to remember. How long does it normally take for a player to return from a concussion if that is the only problem? One week, two, longer?

Count Zarth
09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Bledsoe had one last week. Trent could return against the Broncos.

I think they will hold him out because of the bye.

elvomito
09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
i think its ended a few careers... isn't that all rich gannon had?

JBucc
09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know

Short Leash Hootie
09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
we'll see what the extent of the injury is...

They should keep him out until week 4 no matter what.

VonneMarie
09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
i think its ended a few careers... isn't that all rich gannon had?
Didn't he have a broken collar bone also?

Thig Lyfe
09-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Didn't he have a broken collar bone also?

And a fractured vertabrae.

TrickyNicky
09-10-2006, 02:55 PM
As far as I know, it's not the first concussion that ends it. It's repeated concussions over an extended period of time that really do damage. That's why there are so many Toughman comp. deaths. They don't wait for the brain to heal before they take more punishment.

hawkchief
09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Gvien the prospects of coming back to play behind our sieve/line, probably quite a while.

Otter
09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
There's three degrees of a concussion, depends on how bad the brain was jared.

His head snapped pretty bad, don't think any of us will find out till at the earliest tommorow.

Calcountry
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Even if he came back, I doubt we could overcome what normally is rudeness in Denver. Keep him out.

On the replay, that hed got snapped like a sling shot into the ground. All I could see was CSI, slo mo, fading to a brain wiggling arround inside a skull.

I just hope that it looked worse than it was.

memyselfI
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I think it depends on age and number of previous concussions. Personally, I'd be surprised to see him back at 100% again. I think the appearance of him motionless on the field at his age and with the team in it's present state will get he and his family seriously thinking about his future.

Even if he returns, he would have had a rebuilt knee and a VERY close call with a MAJOR injury. He will not be the same. Therefore, I think he's done. If not this season, then afterwards. This might have been his 'cosmic 2 x 4.'

grandllama
09-10-2006, 03:10 PM
I dunno, ask Troy Aikman...

InChiefsHell
09-10-2006, 03:12 PM
You have to wait to see what the extent of the damage really is. They said that he could feel all his extremeties and that he could not remember the play at all...don't know what that actually means, but when Trent returns, I think he will be his old self...

...then he'll retire.

Otter
09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I think it depends on age and number of previous concussions. Personally, I'd be surprised to see him back at 100% again. I think the appearance of him motionless on the field at his age and with the team in it's present state will get he and his family seriously thinking about his future.

Even if he returns, he would have had a rebuilt knee and a VERY close call with a MAJOR injury. He will not be the same. Therefore, I think he's done. If not this season, then afterwards. This might have been his 'cosmic 2 x 4.'

That's a pretty crummy predition considering what he's come back from, I think he deserves the benfit of the doubt.

memyselfI
09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
That's a pretty crummy predition considering what he's come back from, I think he deserves the benfit of the doubt.

He absolutely deserves the BOTD. That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his wife and kids sitting in the stands seeing their loved one (the oldest starting QB in the league) lying motionless for a number of minutes knowing they don't need the money and this would probably be their last season or two anyway. He's already dodged two big bullets...

It becomes about more than football right about then.

Calcountry
09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
My dad had a severe head trauma, some minor hematoma.

He was a basket case for 3 months, and squirly for nearly a year after that. Even now, he still has minor lapses, that due to his age, you can pass off as senility, but then, maybe its lingering damage.

It all depends on the severity of the trauma. I am sure they did a head CT, and, if it was just a concussion, all you can do is WAIT for it to heal. Doctors usually won't speculate beyond that. No news, is usually good news in these cases.

InChiefsHell
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
He absolutely deserves the BOTD. That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about his wife and kids sitting in the stands seeing their loved one (the oldest starting QB in the league) lying motionless for a number of minutes knowing they don't need the money and this would probably be their last season or two anyway. He's already dodged two big bullets...

It becomes about more than football right about then.

FWIW, he's like 3rd oldest. Favre is older, and there is one other guy. They showed the graphic of that during the game...

bringbackmarty
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
He might never see the field again.
Or he might play this season, get another one, and then he might never see the field again. Either way it won't be long, and it has more to do with family, than football.

Phobia
09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I would say somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks. Heh heh.

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
FWIW I got in a bike wreck once and had the same similar symptoms. I remembered riding a bike up a ramp and the next thing I knew I was walking into my friends house with him holding me up and I had blood all over my shirt, a really bad headache, and I was in a state in which I knew where I was, but felt like I was in a dream. Within a couple of days I was fine and was playing football. :)

It did take several days before I remembered some details of what had happened.....I took off on this ramp, flew through the air, and went over the handlebars landing headfirst against dirt. The last thing I remember is seeing that dirt an instant before I hit it. I imagine Trent will eventually be able to recall himself going into that slide......but who knows.

boltpower 21
09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I like Trent Green even though he's a Chief and I hope he doesn't get rushed back out there.

Put him back out there with that o-line and you're just going to get him killed again.

siberian khatru
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
What's been worrying me is what's happened in baseball this year -- three players have suffered "post-concussion syndrome" and haven't returned -- Mike Matheny, Corey Koskie and Jim Edmonds. Matheny and Koskie have been out more than two months (maybe 3, I forget).

I don't EVER remember that happening in baseball, and suddenly it happens three times in one season. I suspect that they're becoming much more cautious with head injuries, whereas in the past guys would just wobble back out there and play.

I hope Green isn't that severe. But when I saw that hit yesterday, that's what concerned me.

InChiefsHell
09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but baseball players are pussies so...