PDA

View Full Version : Play-action pass. Did we use it much?

Coogs
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I didn't set my TiVo for the game today, so I can not go back and re-watch to see for myself. I just don't recall us using the play-action very much to help the O-line buy a little more time for our QB's. I know that when Roaf went down last year, it took AS 2 or 3 games before he went to the play-action vs the straight drop back pass.

I do remember it on a fake draw to LJ once or twice, but that is about it.

yeti
09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I was thinking they should have done that at least once. Especially in the first half before it started raining. You gotta test it deep with a back like LJ.

JBucc
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Someone said that when we used it they just ignored it and went right after Trent. Don't know if that's accurate or not.

yeti
09-10-2006, 07:29 PM
well I didn't watch every play so I could have missed something

Chiefnj
09-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Doesn't play action work when you are running the ball successfully and you draw the DB's up? They didn't really run the ball all that much to set it up.

Douche Baggins
09-10-2006, 08:31 PM
We've come out before throwing play action passes and barely running it, at least for a drive or two. We did that against Carolina in 2004.

I couldn't believe we didn't run a single play action pass on our first two drives. It seemed that way, anyway.

B_Ambuehl
09-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Actually I'd say they were running too much PA pass and too many 7 step drops in particular. I couldn't BELIEVE the playcalling did not take into account black was at RT. I thought the offensive line did an excellent job considering the playcalling and how long they were being asked to pass protect.

what really contributed to losing the game IMO was too much of a vanilla defense in the 2nd quarter. Inability to stop the run out of that base cover 2.

Luzap
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Coogs,

I found myself asking the same question during the game. I'm very surprised we didn't run LJ more, and maybe that has something to do with it.

Does anybody know what our run/pass count was (by quarter)?

Luz
not feeling doom & gloom ~ just disappointed...

dirk digler
09-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Coogs,

I found myself asking the same question during the game. I'm very surprised we didn't run LJ more, and maybe that has something to do with it.

Does anybody know what our run/pass count was (by quarter)?

Luz
not feeling doom & gloom ~ just disappointed...

Here are LJ's carries breakdown:

1st quarter - 7
2nd quarter - 2
3rd quarter - 5
4th quarter - 3

Bowser
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM

1st quarter - 7
2nd quarter - 2
3rd quarter - 5
4th quarter - 3

He should have that by halftime.

Luzap
09-10-2006, 10:51 PM

1st quarter - 7
2nd quarter - 2
3rd quarter - 5
4th quarter - 3

Thanks. Do we know how many passes we threw?

Luz
looking for a ratio here...

Coogs
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Doesn't play action work when you are running the ball successfully and you draw the DB's up? They didn't really run the ball all that much to set it up.

Yep! And we were running the ball successfully early. I would have thought the play-action was setting itself up nicely. Instead, from what I can recall, most of the passing was straight drop back passing.

And the only real ball fake to LJ I can remember was the fake pass, fake draw, pass play that took an hour to develop. And IIRC, that one wound up in a sack too.

This team is built for the play action passing game. A powerful RB. A great TE. Marginal WR's. Great run blockers, marginal pass protectors at best.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
We basically didn't take any shots down field either. Seems like I remember one pass to Kennison that was about 20 yards downfield but nothing else. You guys remember anything else?

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:19 AM
He should have that by halftime.

17 carries at halftime.

I'm sure that would have sparked a few "Herm is killing our offense" threads.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Yep! And we were running the ball successfully early. I would have thought the play-action was setting itself up nicely. Instead, from what I can recall, most of the passing was straight drop back passing.

And the only real ball fake to LJ I can remember was the fake pass, fake draw, pass play that took an hour to develop. And IIRC, that one wound up in a sack too.

This team is built for the play action passing game. A powerful RB. A great TE. Marginal WR's. Great run blockers, marginal pass protectors at best.

We weren't running the ball well.

Go back and look at the situational playcalling.

In the first drive, LJ fumbled for a loss of 8 yards.

In the 2nd drive, he had 2 runs for no gain, one for 1 yard, and one for 2 yards. All but one of those were on FIRST DOWN, putting us behind the curve for running on 2nd and 3rd because we were in long-yardage situations.

Coogs
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
We weren't running the ball well.

Go back and look at the situational playcalling.

In the first drive, LJ fumbled for a loss of 8 yards.

In the 2nd drive, he had 2 runs for no gain, one for 1 yard, and one for 2 yards. All but one of those were on FIRST DOWN, putting us behind the curve for running on 2nd and 3rd because we were in long-yardage situations.

The first fumble was as much on Green as it was on LJ. Bad toss.

LJ started gouging the Bengals defense pretty good midway through the first quarter. That would have been an excellent time to start mixing in the PA passing IMO.

I'm not really that bitter at anything today. Just as I stated many times last season, I really think we need to feature the PA passing game more with this personal.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
The first fumble was as much on Green as it was on LJ. Bad toss.

LJ started gouging the Bengals defense pretty good midway through the first quarter. That would have been an excellent time to start mixing in the PA passing IMO.

I'm not really that bitter at anything today. Just as I stated many times last season, I really think we need to feature the PA passing game more with this personal.

LJ gouged them on a couple of runs. And he was completely stuffed on 4 or 5.

We simply didn't execute well enough to allow the PA pass to be used.

Unitl Jordan Black is replaced, it won't matter what Mike Solari does.

Coogs
09-11-2006, 09:47 AM
LJ gouged them on a couple of runs. And he was completely stuffed on 4 or 5.

We simply didn't execute well enough to allow the PA pass to be used.

Unitl Jordan Black is replaced, it won't matter what Mike Solari does.

Maybe. Both the PA passing game and the power running game need to feed off of each other. And it did work last season with Black in the lineup. Black nearly got Green killed last season the first couple of games after Roaf went out. Then AS went to the PA... also after the LJ "playing too cute" comment.... and Black was able to pass protect much better.

It is just my opinion, but if we are to have any success this season, the powere running/ PA passing game better come sooner than later. The defense showed signs of progress.... still a long way to go... but signs none the less.

I don't see the sky is falling as some here do, but I do think we need to go to our strengths on offense, and by this Sunday, or we will get another QB killed.

Bob Dole
09-11-2006, 09:56 AM

Bob Dole remembers that one because they completely ignored the handoff to LJ and he had 20 yards of open field in front of him.