PDA

View Full Version : Looking back after 2005 season ended......

chiefsfan1963
09-10-2006, 11:16 PM
knowing how important our OL is to this team and knowing players like Roaf, Welbourn, and Shields can't play forever could the coaches and the front office done anything different to get quality players either from free agency or the draft?

Quite frankly our best Defense was our Offense and the strength of our OL deserved much of the credit. As much as I wanted our D to improve I did not want it to improve by sacrificing our OL. That's like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

If we could have maintained the strength of our OL and just improved just a little bit on D we would have not lost our Home Opener and Trent would not be in the hospital right now with the possibility of not playing 6 games.

Dunit35
09-10-2006, 11:20 PM
I love football season when everybody comes on here and starts new threads every five minutes.

greg63
09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I love football season when everybody comes on here and starts new threads every five minutes.

LMAO

It is what keeps a BB goin.

PastorMikH
09-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I like our draft, I'd hate to think of not having Hali, Pollard, or Croyle. However, I wished we had looked at the OL a little closer the second day as well as in FA (though the $ seemed quite scarce at the time for how much we have freed up now).

Also, keeping T-Rich looks like it would have paid HUGE dividends after today.

Guru
09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I like our draft, I'd hate to think of not having Hali, Pollard, or Croyle. However, I wished we had looked at the OL a little closer the second day as well as in FA (though the $ seemed quite scarce at the time for how much we have freed up now).

Also, keeping T-Rich looks like it would have paid HUGE dividends after today.
Damnit Carl!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

greg63
09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Damnit Carl!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Yep! As you have stated; if Roaf would have retired earlier we could have addressed it in the draft or FA.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mecca
09-10-2006, 11:39 PM
The only real complaint I have is if the Chiefs want to fill holes at OT they aren't going to do that on the 2nd day of the draft. You can find guards and centers doing that but OT is a money position guys at that position with the skills are high picks.

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2006, 12:09 AM
The only real complaint I have is if the Chiefs want to fill holes at OT they aren't going to do that on the 2nd day of the draft. You can find guards and centers doing that but OT is a money position guys at that position with the skills are high picks.

I agree but in April when we were drafting what was our bigger concern - tackle or defense?

el borracho
09-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Well, you can bet we will be drafting tackles (offensive and defensive) early next year. Receivers, too.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Look, the reality is this team and offense peaked from 2002-2005. They had a nice 3-4 year window that they absolutely pissed away. If the defense would have been completely rebuilt after 2002 and a new D co-ordinator brought in, we more than likely would have won it all at one time or another.....same old same old Chiefs.....Sigh.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:32 AM

Absolutely true.

Not only are you not gonna find them on the 2nd day of the draft, you likely won't find them at #20 either.

I think we had a great draft. I wouldn't change a thing.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I agree but in April when we were drafting what was our bigger concern - tackle or defense?

It depends on when Carl was notified of Welbourn's 2nd positive urine test.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 07:38 AM
If the Chiefs had taken an O-lineman in the first round, fans would have f*cking rioted.

We've been steadily drafting O-linemen for years in hopes of finding a young prospect. And based on comments from Roaf in late winter, he was good for a few more years. If anything, guard was the concern.

During FA and the draft, as far as the Chiefs knew they still had one of the best O-lines in the league, and one of the worst defenses. The front office went and addressed the needs that already existed. I can't fault them for not trying to fix what we knew was broke over trying to predict what might break later.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 07:41 AM
It depends on when Carl was notified of Welbourn's 2nd positive urine test.Just guessing, but I'll bet his "retirement" came quick on the heals of a failed test.

The reason it took so long to reach the media is because the Chiefs know how to be tight lipped, and the NFL didn't release it until he had gone through an appeals process.