PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Got Their Wakeup Call!!!

petegz28
09-11-2006, 07:18 AM
What did we learn from yesterday???

Having players that can't play in the pre-season will cost you 2-3 games in the regular season

We have no backup QB

Our DT's still get no pressure

We have multi-million $ CB's that play with a 10 yard cushion

Our #2 Reciever can't hang onto the ball

Wesley needs to get a map of a football field with an arrow that says YOU ARE HERE

and our OC can't remember the down and distance when he calls plays

rageeumr
09-11-2006, 07:25 AM

Don't forget that one of them (Surtain) has worse hands than half the O-Line.

jidar
09-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Kill yourself until you die from it.

DaFace
09-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Perhaps I'm an optimist, but the only problem that I'm worried about in the long term is the health of our QB and the RT position. Yeah, the game sucked, but we saw far worse displays by this team last year.

petegz28
09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Perhaps I'm an optimist, but the only problem that I'm worried about in the long term is the health of our QB and the RT position. Yeah, the game sucked, but we saw far worse displays by this team last year.

In truth I agree. Everything is fixable except Green. We just need to fix it.

BigChiefFan
09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Perhaps I'm an optimist, but the only problem that I'm worried about in the long term is the health of our QB and the RT position. Yeah, the game sucked, but we saw far worse displays by this team last year.I haven't see that bad of a performance by the Chiefs in YEARS. The team looks lost.

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2006, 07:39 AM

I concur, the O-line lost us the game, and not the playcalling. I do Miss Tod Collins as a backup.

Bob Dole
09-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Don't forget that one of them (Surtain) has worse hands than half the O-Line.

He finally caught one.

Too bad he was out of bounds at the time.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I haven't see that bad of a performance by the Chiefs in YEARS. The team looks lost.

I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head that were worse than yesterday.

HemiEd
09-11-2006, 07:47 AM
I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head that were worse than yesterday.

At Buffalo last year, and the Giants game come to mind.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
There was nothing wrong with the interior D-line yesterday. I wish we could get more from Sims/Edwards/etc. but Reed is FAR better than anything we've had at DT since the 90's.

What killed us on the long runs was Greg Wesley and Sammy Knight.

Also, I saw Ty Law yelling at Sammy Knight after one of those throws to Chad Johnson. What happened was that we were in an "under" where Law actually plays the deep zone instead of Knight and Knight is supposed to cover the underneath zone. Knight was late getting there (too slow) resulting in a completion.

The ONLY problem with this defense is in the middle of the backfield...

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
At Buffalo last year, and the Giants game come to mind.

***shudder***Philly***shudder***

justso
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately, the waskup call is going unheeded based upon Herm's "oh it's fixable" comments...Sure, it's fixable, in the off-season. The O-line looked horrendous, the D-Line actually had signs of life, but looked totally bamboozled by the Bengals no-huddle drive. If you ask me, (which you didn't), the knockout blow really happened when the Bengals went no huddle and drove on us.

The wake up call should have happened years ago with Carl Peterson bringing in some free agent talent. I'm not trying to be too critical of Carl here, but he certainly shares some of the blame that was to go around after yesterdays debacle. The fact that we lost Tait & Richardson is a testament to the fact that he's letting the reigns slacken up a bit. I fully believe that the Chiefs are looking at best an 9-7 season until he's gone. It just seems like he's gotten comfortable with mediocrity and it's been paying his bills for years.

If the Chiefs want to wake up, they'd better damn well start bringing in receivers for Trent to throw to, offensive lineman who aren't pushovers and retaining their key players, ie-Tony Richardson, the best blocking FB in the NFL.

Reerun_KC
09-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I haven't see that bad of a performance by the Chiefs in YEARS. The team looks lost.

Welcome to Herm Edwards World.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, the waskup call is going unheeded based upon Herm's "oh it's fixable" comments...Sure, it's fixable, in the off-season. The O-line looked horrendous, the D-Line actually had signs of life, but looked totally bamboozled by the Bengals no-huddle drive. If you ask me, (which you didn't), the knockout blow really happened when the Bengals went no huddle and drove on us.

The wake up call should have happened years ago with Carl Peterson bringing in some free agent talent. I'm not trying to be too critical of Carl here, but he certainly shares some of the blame that was to go around after yesterdays debacle. The fact that we lost Tait & Richardson is a testament to the fact that he's letting the reigns slacken up a bit. I fully believe that the Chiefs are looking at best an 9-7 season until he's gone. It just seems like he's gotten comfortable with mediocrity and it's been paying his bills for years.

If the Chiefs want to wake up, they'd better damn well start bringing in receivers for Trent to throw to, offensive lineman who aren't pushovers and retaining their key players, ie-Tony Richardson, the best blocking FB in the NFL.

ROFL

Carl brought in former PB Ty Law, former PB Patrick Surtain, former DRoY Kendrell Bell...he gave you guys EVERY DEFENSIVE PLAYER YOU ASKED FOR.

But it wasn't good enough because he didn't fix the offense too?

ROFL

irishjayhawk
09-11-2006, 08:22 AM
ROFL

Carl brought in former PB Ty Law, former PB Patrick Surtain, former DRoY Kendrell Bell...he gave you guys EVERY DEFENSIVE PLAYER YOU ASKED FOR.

ROFL

You have to admit that the T-Rich loss might hurt us more than we know. Though Cruz did stone a couple defenders on a couple plays.

But otherwise I agree with ya. ROFL

BigChiefFan
09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head that were worse than yesterday.Not on opening day at home. We always kick ass and take names. The team played like shit, so I'm going to call it like I see it. No excuses for that shipwreck yesterday. From Dante Hall to Larry Johnson they made mistakes that cost us dearly.

DaFace
09-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Not on opening day at home. We always kick ass and take names. The team played like shit, so I'm going to call it like I see it. No excuses for that shipwreck yesterday. From Dante Hall to Larry Johnson they made mistakes that cost us dearly.

I guess I missed the "kicking ass and taking names" part. We've lost 5 out of our last 7 home openers:

2000 - Loss to Indy
2001 - Loss to Oakland
2002 - Loss to Jacksonville
2003 - Win over San Diego
2004 - Loss to Carolina
2005 - Win over Jets
2006 - Loss to Cincinnatti

Fish
09-11-2006, 09:24 AM

:rolleyes:

There's been a bunch of stupid shit posted since the loss, but this one takes the cake....

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I guess I missed the "kicking ass and taking names" part. We've lost 5 out of our last 7 home openers:

2000 - Loss to Indy
2001 - Loss to Oakland
2004 - Loss to Carolina
2005 - Win over Jets

Oopsie poopsie...

Halfcan
09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Our Special teams sucked ass yesterday, same with our Defense, and Offense. We were outcoached in every phase of the game.

Bye Herm, thanks for stopping by.

hawkchief
09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
ROFL

ROFL

It wasn't good enough because Carl didn't make quality defensive moves either in the draft or FA when it mattered and the offense didn't need to be fixed. It mattered when we had the best O-line in the league blocking, and when they were a few years younger blocking for the league's best RB. It mattered when we had guys like T Rich, Tait, Shields and Roaf before they got old and/or retired, or they weren't re-signed because Carl pissed off their agent or for some unknown reason he wouldn't pay T-Rich a reasonable amount to keep him as a key piece of our offense. It mattered when our special teams could block for Dante. It mattered when we had Vermeil and Saunders coaching the offense, not someone who doesn't know what the down and distance are inside the fricking red zone.

What happened yesterday is the bullet we have been lucky enough to dodge for several seasons. Our quarterback went down and couldn't get up. It's probably going to be a long season, and we are staring a 3-5 years rebuilding effort square in the face.

Carl didn't make hay while the sun was shining, and he deserves the blame. His efforts were too little too late. That's pretty obvious.

Tuckdaddy
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM
There is nothing we can do about our Tackles at this point. They will cost us a winning record.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM
It wasn't good enough because Carl didn't make quality defensive moves either in the draft or FA when it mattered and the offense didn't need to be fixed. It mattered when we had the best O-line in the league blocking, and when they were a few years younger blocking for the league's best RB. It mattered when we had guys like T Rich, Tait, Shields and Roaf before they got old and/or retired, or they weren't re-signed because Carl pissed off their agent or for some unknown reason he wouldn't pay T-Rich a reasonable amount to keep him as a key piece of our offense. It mattered when our special teams could block for Dante. It mattered when we had Vermeil and Saunders coaching the offense, not someone who doesn't know what the down and distance are inside the fricking red zone.

What happened yesterday is the bullet we have been lucky enough to dodge for several seasons. Our quarterback went down and couldn't get up. It's probably going to be a long season, and we are staring a 3-5 years rebuilding effort square in the face.

Carl didn't make hay while the sun was shining, and he deserves the blame. His efforts were too little too late. That's pretty obvious.

ROFL

BigChiefFan
09-11-2006, 09:55 AM

2000 - Loss to Indy
2001 - Loss to Oakland
2004 - Loss to Carolina
2005 - Win over Jets
Prior to yesterday we had won 2 of the previous 3 opening days. IMO, going back much further and it's a completely different roster. I should have been clearer with my time-line.

DaFace
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Prior to yesterday we had won 2 of the previous 3 opening days. IMO, going back much further and it's a completely different roster. I should have been clearer with my time-line.

So two wins is enough to be considered a trend? Not to mention the fact that we got our asses handed TO US in 2004. We kicked ass and took names LAST YEAR. That's it.

DMAC
09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
***shudder***Philly***shudder***That game was so horrible, I have flashbulb memory from it.

Fish
09-11-2006, 10:05 AM
It's probably going to be a long season, and we are staring a 3-5 years rebuilding effort square in the face.

Good grief people........ game 1 in the books, and all you can think is that the season is over and we're looking at a 3-5 yr rebuilding effort?

:shake:

What the hell has this board come to?

DMAC
09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Good grief people........ game 1 in the books, and all you can think is that the season is over and we're looking at a 3-5 yr rebuilding effort?

What the hell has this board come to?I think the Jet fans have gotten to everyone.

DaFace
09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
What the hell has this board come to?

I'm wondering the same thing. It's absolutely insane how bi-polar this fanbase is. If we'd won the game yesterday, even in a burst of luck like a big turnover, everyone would be predicting SuperBowl.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. It's absolutely insane how bi-polar this fanbase is. If we'd won the game yesterday, even in a burst of luck like a big turnover, everyone would be predicting SuperBowl.

Yep.

SNR
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
What did we learn from yesterday???

Having players that can't play in the pre-season will cost you 2-3 games in the regular season

We have no backup QB

Our DT's still get no pressure

Our #2 Reciever can't hang onto the ball

Wesley needs to get a map of a football field with an arrow that says YOU ARE HERE

and our OC can't remember the down and distance when he calls plays#1: Eh, it hurt somewhat, but not that much

#2: We have a backup. But he's not good enough to win in Dungver this week. We knew that coming into this season though

#3 I didn't see anything wrong with our middle Dline pressure. If anything, I saw their dominance spring Allen on a few plays. The pocket collapsed on Palmer a lot faster than it has in the past couple years. Still could use improvement, but that's not the most important issue right now

#4 Scheme. Gunt made some shitty play calls yesterday. Like all-out blitzes while Palmer is in the shotgun.

#5: Uhh... your and idiot. Parker caught everything thrown to him yesterday. Those offensive pass interference penalties sucked dick though. The first one was just shitty by the refs, the 2nd one definitely was Parker, though

#6: Agreed

#7: So you're proposing we look for a new offensive center this late in the game or what? It's the first game with a new offensive coordinator. Give Weigman a break. This shit won't happen later in the season

Frosty
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Also, I saw Ty Law yelling at Sammy Knight after one of those throws to Chad Johnson. What happened was that we were in an "under" where Law actually plays the deep zone instead of Knight and Knight is supposed to cover the underneath zone. Knight was late getting there (too slow) resulting in a completion.

I'm almost positive that that was the play where my father-in-law, who doesn't watch the Chiefs at all, turned to me and said "That #29 knows what the play is going to be but can't do anything about it".

tk13
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
If we could get better tackle play, this team would look 100 times better. That's all I'm concerned about right now. I think everything else is fixable. And from what I saw yesterday, I think Huard can hold his own. We just gotta protect him.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 12:04 PM
If we could get better tackle play, this team would look 100 times better. That's all I'm concerned about right now. I think everything else is fixable. And from what I saw yesterday, I think Huard can hold his own. We just gotta protect him.

I don't think we have the players to fix the Tackle play for this season.....I think what we saw yesterday is what we got. And those aren't even good ends I dread what will happen against a team that has an elite type level end.

TEX
09-11-2006, 12:15 PM

The play of both tackles, is in fact the biggest problem on the team. At times last year we looked just as horrible when both tackles were out. I hoped that since this year we had more time to plan for it, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But, it is. In fact it looks worse as things stand now.

TEX
09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't think we have the players to fix the Tackle play for this season.....I think what we saw yesterday is what we got. And those aren't even good ends I dread what will happen against a team that has an elite type level end.

I agree, and now my biggest fear going into the season has been realized. I do think that Sampson will do a better job than Black simply because he couldn't do any worse. I feel the same way about Black as I did about Bret Williams, and that is that Black has no business playing Tackle at this level. Man has that guy digressed. :shake:

Claynus
09-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I hate home openers. I'm never attending one after today. Too risky.

bringbackmarty
09-11-2006, 01:13 PM
#1: Eh, it hurt somewhat, but not that much

#2: We have a backup. But he's not good enough to win in Dungver this week. We knew that coming into this season though

#3 I didn't see anything wrong with our middle Dline pressure. If anything, I saw their dominance spring Allen on a few plays. The pocket collapsed on Palmer a lot faster than it has in the past couple years. Still could use improvement, but that's not the most important issue right now

#4 Scheme. Gunt made some shitty play calls yesterday. Like all-out blitzes while Palmer is in the shotgun.

#5: Uhh... your and idiot. Parker caught everything thrown to him yesterday. Those offensive pass interference penalties sucked dick though. The first one was just shitty by the refs, the 2nd one definitely was Parker, though

#6: Agreed

#7: So you're proposing we look for a new offensive center this late in the game or what? It's the first game with a new offensive coordinator. Give Weigman a break. This shit won't happen later in the season

Dude, Parker caught two twelve yard passes, two penalties, and had one very important drop over the middle that resulted in a game changing pick.
hardly a notable performance

SNR
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM

Dude, Parker caught two twelve yard passes, two penalties, and had one very important drop over the middle that resulted in a game changing pick.
hardly a notable performanceForgot about that one that slipped through his hands.

Still, that's hardly reason to say "he can't catch." Again, we have FAR worse problems on this team than our #2 receiver.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Our recievers are why we can't go max protect and move the ball....they can't get open only sending 2 guys into the pattern. So the protection problems highlight what we have at WR and they go with each other right now.

Spicy McHaggis
09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
we are staring a 3-5 years rebuilding effort square in the face.

No one rebuilds for 3-5 years in the NFL anymore. Even the worst teams are only a few players changes and a few breaks away.

Let's go over a brief history and you tell me exactly where Carl went wrong.

The defense sucked. Dickie V convinces Carl to keep Robinson around who finally "resigns".

Enter Gun.

Carl asks, "Hey can you win with these guys?" Gun says, "Sure, I love me some Eric Hicks and a shell of the player Woods used to be." So Carl does nothing because his DC said the pieces were there.

The defense sucks again. Carl goes to Gun, "Who do you need?"
"Bell, a top corner and Carlos Hall."

Lo and behold Carl signs the three and a safety to boot. Defense improves slightly.

Carl goes and signs a defensive coach who choses his own defensive staff. Then Carl goes and signs a corner who had ten picks last year and everyone was having wet dreams over, another corner with starting experience, has a draft that has three potential defensive starters for this year, trades for Larry Johnson's back up and signs Turley who without, we would be even more screwed on the OL.

I've been stark raving mad at Carl Peterson before. I've yelled for him to be run out of town. I prayed Scott Pioli would be merciful and somehow come to KC. I've basically been everything but, as I like to say, a "Bob Gretz".

But this year, blame will not reside with Carl.