PDA

View Full Version : For everyone that saw Law playing a 10-yard cushion yesterday...

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:52 AM
I saw Ty Law yelling at Sammy Knight after one of those throws to Chad Johnson. Did anybody else notice it?

I'm convinced this is what happened:

We were in an "under" where Law actually plays the deep zone instead of Knight and Knight is supposed to cover the underneath zone. Knight was late getting there or was out of position, resulting in a completion.

jiveturkey
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
That might explain why we didn't see him much in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure why Page was in over Pollard though.

Reerun_KC
09-11-2006, 07:55 AM
I was wondering the same thing, I was screaming for pollard and page to be in there.

Geesh if we are going to suck this bad after 6 months of prep. Might as well play the rookies?

Bob Dole
09-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Bob Dole noticed Law chewing his ass after more than one play but didn't have the heart (or BAC) to go back and count after the shitfest was over.

munkey
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
I saw Ty Law yelling at Sammy Knight after one of those throws to Chad Johnson. Did anybody else notice it?

We were in an "under" where Law actually plays the deep zone instead of Knight and Knight is supposed to cover the underneath zone. Knight was late getting there or was out of position, resulting in a completion.

Someone else was bitching about Law yestereday and I pointed out your observation...I don't know if Knight was hurt or just lost in the scheme but was glad to see one of the rooks out there in his place.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Expecting anyone to cover that route when the first down marker is only 6 yards out is stupid.

There was at least one occasion that regardless of who's assignment it was, the receiver should have been pressed.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I think Page came in over Pollard because of the personnel group. If Wesley had come out more, Pollard might have come on...

King_Chief_Fan
09-11-2006, 07:59 AM

but the bright side to me is that CJ did not see the endzone and in reality he got 48 yards that didn't mean too much. It was great not to see a CJ celebration yesterday.

jiveturkey
09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
I wonder if it means that Page will start next week and Wesley will stay at his natural position?

HC_Chief
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Yep... I saw the same thing. Law actually jumped all over Knight a few times during the game. Knight was getting abused in zone coverage. Once Page was subbed, coverage improved dramatically.

I like Knight, but he is simply too slow. I'd use him only in dime/quarter packages or as SS in the 46, where e can plug a gap and play run.

Woodrow Call
09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I wonder if it means that Page will start next week and Wesley will stay at his natural position?

I hope so. Page looked good out there and made some solid plays. Knight looks done IMO.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
but the bright side to me is that CJ did not see the endzone and in reality he got 48 yards that didn't mean too much. It was great not to see a CJ celebration yesterday.

I thought the defense overall played pretty well...

jspchief
09-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I thought the defense overall played pretty well...I didn't. I thought it looked like the same defense we've had for 4 years. Inconsistent.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
I didn't. I thought it looked like the same defense we've had for 4 years. Inconsistent.

The only time they struggled was when Cinci went no-huddle.

EVERYBODY struggles with that, not just the Chiefs.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 08:16 AM
We gave up 17 points in the first half. Regardless of whether it was no huddle, that's a poor defensive performance. Did we stiffen up in the second half? Yea, probably. But the Bengals also already had their foot firmly planted on our throats, so who knows what the D would have looked like if Cincy felt pressed.

donkhater
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I thought the defense overall played pretty well...
Pretty well, but not great. They are better, though.

Cincy went into conservative mode in the second half. They had a 2 score lead, it was raining, the opposing team's QB was knocked out. Marvin played not to lose the game. Did Carson even pass 10 times in the second half?

This defense can be good, but they won't be feared until they get pressure and turnovers. This team can still win with Huard they play like the Bears, but that ain't gonna happen.

Meanwhile Herm is getting a raw deal. The dude's two starting tackles retired unexpectedly over the summer (AFTER the draft and early FA signing periods) and people are pissed at him that he doesn't have anyone better than Black on the roster to play RT?

The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the playcalling. LJ on third and 5 from the 11 has been talked about ad nauseum, but did LJ even get a carry in the entire second quarter? He's your best player and the conditions (and tackle personnel) dictated that a running game was the way to go. Even early in the third they had Green dropping back to pass. It was only a matter of time before he got popped.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Well, considering the Bengals went smashmouth in the 2nd half and we actually stopped it for a change, I'll consider that improvement.

We gave up 3.6ypc against the Bengals. I'll take it.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
We gave up 17 points in the first half. Regardless of whether it was no huddle, that's a poor defensive performance. Did we stiffen up in the second half? Yea, probably. But the Bengals also already had their foot firmly planted on our throats, so who knows what the D would have looked like if Cincy felt pressed.

You've got to factor in Dante's fumble and the INT that came off of Parker's hands. The D was put in a bad spot. Overall, I agree with you - it was a lot of the same old.

They couldn't generate a steady pass rush.

When Cincy needed yards on the ground - they got it (and more).

Playing Law off (even if Knight was supposed to fly over and take the underneath route) was bad strategy.

Finally, the biggest difference was the Bengals ability to change it up and adjust. They went to the no huddle and KC's defense was lost. I don't know why more pro teams won't use time outs for the defense in situations like that.

After the half the Bengals came out with a nice play to counter the all the Chiefs at the line defensive package. They cleared out the DB's and they hit Perry for that 30 yard gain. Excellent adjustment by the Bengals.

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Defense definetely looked better. If this was the D from a year or two ago, the score would've been higher. Besides the short passes that were checked to, the receivers from the bungholes didn't do anything. NOTHING. This in itself is an improvement.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 08:26 AM
You've got to factor in Dante's fumble and the INT that came off of Parker's hands. The D was put in a bad spot. Overall, I agree with you - it was a lot of the same old.

They couldn't generate a steady pass rush.

When Cincy needed yards on the ground - they got it (and more).

Playing Law off (even if Knight was supposed to fly over and take the underneath route) was bad strategy.

Finally, the biggest difference was the Bengals ability to change it up and adjust. They went to the no huddle and KC's defense was lost. I don't know why more pro teams won't use time outs for the defense in situations like that.

After the half the Bengals came out with a nice play to counter the all the Chiefs at the line defensive package. They cleared out the DB's and they hit Perry for that 30 yard gain. Excellent adjustment by the Bengals.

That's the biggest thing to me, and I mentioned it yesterday.

I thought the defense played well given the situations they were put in. The lack of response to the no-huddle bothered me though, because it tells me, ONCE AGAIN, that Gunther doesn't know how to make adjustments...

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:26 AM

Dante's drop started it all. They got excellent field position and built momentum off of that. If he didn't drop that punt the game could've looked different. To me that was the turning point.

Molitoth
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I was sitting right in front of Law during that drive and he was talking to Knight what looked like to me Law was telling him what the Bengals were going to run.

Law gave him a cusion so Palmer would throw that out route that he had been throwing the previous few plays, I'm pretty sure Law knew it was going to happen and was telling Knight to be there to jump the ball for the interception, after Law called the play and Knight was still not there to jump that pass, Law chewed his ass.

Thats what it looked like from right in front of Law, I knew it, my friends knew it, I'm guessing the whole section knew it, but Knight apparently didn't know it.

jspchief
09-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I will say one thing. Law was worth the money. It's already clear to me that he's a huge upgrade. even when he gets beat, he handles it better. I was very impressed with his tackling, and just his overall football awareness.

If Ty Law iss worn out, then a worn out Ty Law may still be the best CB we've had since Hasty/Carter.

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
I was sitting right in front of Law during that drive and he was talking to Knight what looked like to me Law was telling him what the Bengals were going to run.

Law gave him a cusion so Palmer would throw that out route that he had been throwing the previous few plays, I'm pretty sure Law knew it was going to happen and was telling Knight to be there to jump the ball for the interception, after Law called the play and Knight was still not there to jump that pass, Law chewed his ass.

Thats what it looked like from right in front of Law, I knew it, my friends knew it, I'm guessing the whole section knew it, but Knight apparently didn't know it.

It was very telling that Knight didn't get anymore playing time in the second half. This says a lot. I just wonder who made the decision to pull him, Gunther or Herm.

jiveturkey
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
It was very telling that Knight didn't get anymore playing time in the second half. This says a lot. I just wonder who made the decision to pull him, Gunther or Herm.Or Law?

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I will say one thing. Law was worth the money. It's already clear to me that he's a huge upgrade. even when he gets beat, he handles it better. I was very impressed with his tackling, and just his overall football awareness.

If Ty Law iss worn out, then a worn out Ty Law may still be the best CB we've had since Hasty/Carter.

Dude can tackle. On that one short pass they made that was a playaction run to the right, Law was downfield, shedded a blocker, backpedaled and still made a great tackle. Anyother DB (besides maybe Surtain) on our team trying to make that tackle that would've been a TD for sure.

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Or Law?

Now that would be interesting. I wonder if Sammy starts this week?

jspchief
09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Dude can tackle. On that one short pass they made that was a playaction run to the right, Law was downfield, shedded a blocker, backpedaled and still made a great tackle. Anyother DB (besides maybe Surtain) on our team trying to make that tackle that would've been a TD for sure.That's one of the plays that really grabbed me. In the past that would have been a highlight for the 32 Defense. I was impressed with how fundamentally sound Law was on that play. He was in complete control. He's just a different level of player.

I'll be the first to say I wasn't big on getting Law in here, but my intial impression is that I was way off.

Dartgod
Impossible. A Jets fan told me the Herm never plays rookies.

InChiefsHell
I wish Surtain could have held on to the pick. Actually, I seem to remember him having a shot at 2 picks. Need to hold onto that stuff...

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
The D should improve. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen overnight. You're going to have some impressive plays followed by a breakdown.

Case-in-point - Kawika. He had a nice pass deflection and then a beauty of a hit on Johnson on a short yardage play. But, the only thing people will remember was his whiff on the 22 yard TD run.

jiveturkey
09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Impossible. A Jets fan told me the Herm never plays rookies.Except at Safety. :)

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
I wish Surtain could have held on to the pick. Actually, I seem to remember him having a shot at 2 picks. Need to hold onto that stuff...

He dropped one sure grab and the other one when he was coming down Paige backed up into him. If you look at the replay on the almost pick, the ball was falling out of his hands before Paige backed up into him, that one was on him.

Woodrow Call
09-11-2006, 08:45 AM

I agree 100%. He is the type of leader the Chiefs have needed on D for years. Law is a joy to watch.

Cochise
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I was at the game and noticed Law yelling at him on one play in particular. I was sitting in the end zone where the band is, and somebody (Johnson?) caught a short pass on the side of the field near the visitor's bench (to my right). Law tackled him near the sideines and pointed and was yelling at somebody, I thought it was Knight. Knight was over by the near hashmark and I got the same impression, that Knight had blown the coverage and Law cleaned it up.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Didn't even read anything but the title, but are you referring to the 2nd and 1 around the 20 yard line? He was 7 yards back.

:grrrr:

Fish
09-11-2006, 09:00 AM
It was very telling that Knight didn't get anymore playing time in the second half. This says a lot. I just wonder who made the decision to pull him, Gunther or Herm.

I agree... we may see him phazed out sooner than expected.... which isn't really a bad thing....

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I saw that too, Parker. It's a matter of time before one or both safeties are replaced.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm more excited about the defense than the offense. Wow, times have changed...

CoMoChief
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Someone else was bitching about Law yestereday and I pointed out your observation...I don't know if Knight was hurt or just lost in the scheme but was glad to see one of the rooks out there in his place.

Maybe he was later getting there because our all of our LB's can out run him he's so slow.

Halfcan
09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Knight and Wesley should be replaced by Page and Pollard by next game.

el borracho
09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Case-in-point - Kawika. He had a nice pass deflection and then a beauty of a hit on Johnson on a short yardage play. But, the only thing people will remember was his whiff on the 22 yard TD run.
Am I misremembering or was Knight on the ground at the line of scrimmage on that play? Seems like Mitchell went to his right and plugged a hole while Knight went to his left and ended up on the ground. I think the play went through the hole that Knight was supposed to fill but I only saw it live so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

ChiefaRoo
09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
The D should improve. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen overnight. You're going to have some impressive plays followed by a breakdown.

Kawiffa ROFL

InChiefsHell
09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Am I misremembering or was Knight on the ground at the line of scrimmage on that play? Seems like Mitchell went to his right and plugged a hole while Knight went to his left and ended up on the ground. I think the play went through the hole that Knight was supposed to fill but I only saw it live so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

That's kinda how I remembered it...not Kawika's mistake but Knight's...

scott free
09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Old people schtup faster than Knight runs , he's gotta go.

Chiefnj
09-11-2006, 12:28 PM
That's kinda how I remembered it...not Kawika's mistake but Knight's...

It was Kawika's hole.

On the replay from behind the Bengals LOS you get a good feel for what happened. Knight was lined up on the far left side of the line (right on the tv). He goes around the end on the play and the fullblack dives at his feet taking him out. He falls to the ground 2-3 feet to the right (camera angle) of Rudi as Rudi is hitting the hole that Kawika came in.

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Our offense handed Cincinatti 10 points.