PDA

View Full Version : Look guys, this one's on the OL.

Chris Meck
09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Seriously.

I'm well aware that we gave up 17 points in the first half, and I'm well aware that the Bengals' no huddle left our defense sucking wind.

I'm also well aware that they got NO help from the offense whatsoever in the first half. NONE.

There was one series that was 3-and-out with two sacks, for cryin' out loud.

You've gotta help a defense out. Keep the ball for awhile, score some points. We were unable to do that.

Turley's no Roaf, and we certainly miss Willie, but the biggest problem was that Jordan Black was completely overwhelmed on every play.

Chris

oldandslow
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Seriously.

I'm well aware that we gave up 17 points in the first half, and I'm well aware that the Bengals' no huddle left our defense sucking wind.

I'm also well aware that they got NO help from the offense whatsoever in the first half. NONE.

There was one series that was 3-and-out with two sacks, for cryin' out loud.

You've gotta help a defense out. Keep the ball for awhile, score some points. We were unable to do that.

Turley's no Roaf, and we certainly miss Willie, but the biggest problem was that Jordan Black was completely overwhelmed on every play.

Chris

:clap: YUP

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Who would've thought that we would only let Cincy score 23 and not be the winner. This falls squarely on the O. PERIOD. Hopefully we will tighten up and things will get better, but with the QB situation he doesn't appear that way.

jiveturkey
09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
According to Petro Svitek had a good week at practice but was pulled from the starting spot because he jumped offsides near the end of the week.

Black was then plugged in and of course sucked.

I hear that Svitek was getting burned in pass coverage all week prior to this.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Not that I haven't said it too many times already but the line sucks and it was way too predictable. Anyone with a brain knew Roaf had one year or less left, Shields is soon to follow and yet they drafted safety depth in the 2nd round when Eric Winston was there and could have filled one of our biggest needs. Pollard sounds like he will go on to be a very good player but OL was a huge need, safety depth was not. Carl and Herm put us in this position.

BigChiefFan
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
The offense and Dante's fumble on the return gave this game away.

ChiefsfaninPA
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Not that I haven't said it too many times already but the line sucks and it was way too predictable. Anyone with a brain knew Roaf had one year or less left, Shields is soon to follow and yet they drafted safety depth in the 2nd round when Eric Winston was there and could have filled one of our biggest needs. Pollard sounds like he will go on to be a very good player but OL was a huge need, safety depth was not. Carl and Herm put us in this position.

In hindsight not taking Justice does seem like the wrong decision but we must remember we have been trying to make this D more respectable so they drafted with this in mind. I guess they figure they will mold or acquire more O linemen in the future.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
In hindsight not taking Justice does seem like the wrong decision but we must remember we have been trying to make this D more respectable so they drafted with this in mind. I guess they figure they will mold or acquire more O linemen in the future.

I don't fault them for Hali over Justice...I fault them for Pollard over Winston...and that isn't just hindsite, I saw that as a huge mistake the day of the draft.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't fault them for Hali over Justice...I fault them for Pollard over Winston...and that isn't just hindsite, I saw that as a huge mistake the day of the draft.

I agree with you because last year was the year to take a tackle it was as deep of a tackle draft as you'll ever see.....so we take a safety and a QB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds....

FringeNC
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
To say the performance is on the OL is probably correct, but it is also the most depressing scenario. How can the offensive line problems be corrected during the season? Perhaps Sampson or Svitek will make all the difference in the world at RT, but I'm not holding my breath. Additionally, how well did Turley play? I switched to the radio feed at the tail end of the game, and they were commenting how Turley struggled as well as Black.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Eric Winston? He's a backup for a team that gave up 5 sacks yesterday...

ROFL

Mecca
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM

ROFL

I bet he's better than what we're running out there......Jordan Black is possibly the worst lineman in history.

FringeNC
09-11-2006, 11:58 AM

We had the best offensive in the league from 02-05. Nobody stays on top forever. Whoever replaced Roaf was going to be a significant downgrade. I don't fault the front office for trying to improve the D via the draft this year.

I blame Peterson for the joke personnel we had on defense this decade. He wasted the record-setting offense.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I bet he's better than what we're running out there......Jordan Black is possibly the worst lineman in history.

And Pollard is better than what we're currently trotting out there.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM

ROFL

He is also a rookie with talent to develop, unlike the no talent bum we put out there who just plays like a rookie after 4 years...

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
We had the best offensive in the league from 02-05. Nobody stays on top forever. Whoever replaced Roaf was going to be a significant downgrade.

You are correct in that you can't stay on top forever but you also have to be smart enough realize when the guys in place are coming to the end of the line. Remember Philly a few years ago when they had what most believed to be the best secondary in the league with Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor? And everyone was shocked when they drafted Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard with their first couple picks? They were preparing for what happen shortly there after....Vincent and Taylor running out of gas.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
He is also a rookie with talent to develop, unlike the no talent bum we put out there who just plays like a rookie after 4 years...

Um, we drafted Bernard Pollard in the 2nd round instead of Eric Winston. We didn't pass on Winston for Jordan Black.

NaptownChief
09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Um, we drafted Bernard Pollard in the 2nd round instead of Eric Winston. We didn't pass on Winston for Jordan Black.

We passed on Winston causing us to have to rely on Jordan Black.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
We passed on Winston causing us to have to rely on Jordan Black.

Ah, I see.

So it's good enough for the Eagles but not good enough for us...

MOhillbilly
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
poor playcalling on bothsides of the ball no adjustments to what cincy coaches executed in there scheme and the dante fumble killed us.

coaches that dont put there players in position to make plays shouldnt be retained year after year after year after year.
Players who play w/out heart, half ass tackle, and dont finish blocks -and/or dont play there asigned position shouldnt be retained year after year.
Front office personel that dont put the proper pieces into motion to win a ****ing Championship after 15+ years shouldnt be retained.

yesterday was a disgusting display on all levels and Trent getting knocked out on a dirty hit w/ no flag.............. just put the shit icing on the shit cake.

**** you larry nemmers!

unlurking
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
To say the performance is on the OL is probably correct, but it is also the most depressing scenario. How can the offensive line problems be corrected during the season? Perhaps Sampson or Svitek will make all the difference in the world at RT, but I'm not holding my breath. Additionally, how well did Turley play? I switched to the radio feed at the tail end of the game, and they were commenting how Turley struggled as well as Black.
From a drunkard's point of view during the game, I thought Turley was absolutely horrible. Honestly, I couldn't tell who was worse between Black and Turley.

bringbackmarty
09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
We didn't know big willie was going to retire during the draft. Anyone who says that willie wasn't dominant last year is watching the games on radio.

Injured yes, as quick, no, but his savy more than made up for it, and he could pass protect. We won a game or two with black at tackle, had Svitek and Sampson coming back. Had salary cap issues at that time. I don't see how tackle could have been made a priority. Maybe fifth round or something.

The best we could have done for week one was pick up a FA cut from camp. We knew we needed someone sure, but we didn't know we were really going to need two starting tackles at the time of the draft.

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I thought Turley looked good. The only time he gave up pressure was when the quarterback was having to scramble up and to the left to avoid pressure coming from the right due to Black getting beat on every play. I think Turleys looked better each and every game from the preseason on up to yesterday. He particularly looks good run blocking down the field. There's really no reason why this team shoudn't be as good at running stretch plays, pitches, and sweeps to the left as they were with Roaf.

bringbackmarty
09-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I dunno I think Turley is still too light, and maybe too much of a technique guy for our power running game. He also isn't very good in the perimeter running game. Just a Savy pass blocker who gets away with a few more holds becuase he is smaller and sneakier.

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM
This team was always successful running to the left not because of Roaf standing their mauling people but because he would get out and pull running downfield taking out d-backs and Dunn or Gonzales would block down against the DE. Turley doesn't have to stand their and maul DEs and linebackers. At this point he's probably the fastest most athletic tackle in the league. Watch how quickly he can get down the field and block. Roaf was a beast and could stand at the LOS and maul people but what really set him apart and made the running game so effective was his speed getting down the field and Turley brings that same ability. Wiegmann is the same way.

Gaz
09-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Yep.

The bad news is that the situation will not substantially improve this season. Turley might be okay after he puts on some mass and gets his football legs back. Svitek could possibly be a starter, but he is going to get abused just like any rookie.

The bad news down the road is that Shields is approaching the end of his career. So, not only do we have serious question marks at LT & RT, but we will lose our mainstay at Guard before too long.

The REALLY bad news is that the lynchpin of the already-weakened Offense will not play for several weeks.

Gonna be a tough year for the Red & Gold faithful.

xoxo~
Gaz
Girding his loins.

greg63
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Look guys, this one's on the OL.

This is news??

KC Jones
09-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Other important factors:

1) play calling - I think Solari got off plan. First that horrible up the gut call on 3rd and 5 brought out the boo birds. As if to answer them he went almost all pass on subsequent possessions. If we had tried to run the ball more in the 2nd quarter we might have had more success. I don't know if he panicked or what.

2) Playing the CBs off the WRs while Cinci was in the no huddle. Too much cushion was given and during their no huddle drives they used that to their advantage. We should have called a time out or something to get back into sync on D.

3) protecting the football - too many fumbles (in part due to bad pass protection).

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 08:35 AM
I thought Turley looked good. The only time he gave up pressure was when the quarterback was having to scramble up and to the left to avoid pressure coming from the right due to Black getting beat on every play. I think Turleys looked better each and every game from the preseason on up to yesterday. He particularly looks good run blocking down the field. There's really no reason why this team shoudn't be as good at running stretch plays, pitches, and sweeps to the left as they were with Roaf.

You obviously didn't watch the game. Turley was getting tossed all over the field like a rag doll...

mrbiggz
09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
You would think that when Roaf said that he was retiring back after mini-camp (he says) they would have hustled to sign some one along with Turley even if that meant we could not get Ty Law. And then come to find out Welbourne retires too and we are left with Turlley, Sampson, Black, Bober, and Svitek.

They are suppose to be proffesionals and know how to evaluate talent. If Black sucked balls last year at tackle and especially after the Giants preseason game then what the fugg makes you think he is gonna be any better against an NFL starting defensive lineman.

This is the problem when you have cap room and don't spend it. The oline is the heart of our team and they didn't give the issue the attention it needed. Now our QB gets killed and Huard is on the sideline looking -sh!tting in his pants cuzz he isn't shit and doesn't want to get killed either and he has no confidence in the oline.

I put the blame on the GM for not addressing the issues