PDA

View Full Version : can you help me woth a windows problem?

go bowe
09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
my son changed his password and then proceeded to not write it down and can't remember it now...

one site suggested using f8 to bring up the windows screen that allows you to start in safe mode, which sounds relatively easy...

problem is that when i boot the computer and press f8 frantictly, the menu never appears and takes us straight to the login screen asking for the password that we don't know...

if f8 doesn't do anything, is there some other way to start up the menu that gives access to safe mode?

or is there some other way to fix the problem of the lost password?

preferably something free...

Fish
09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Not sure why it won't let you boot to safe mode.... but booting to safe mode still wouldn't let you change the password without knowing what it was.

Here's an option..... NT Offline Password Editor (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

It's not exactly user friendly, but it will give you step-by-step instructions on how to use it. You're posting here, so I assume you have another computer with which to work... Basically you will download a disk image from that site and write it to a floppy disk or CD.

It's not easy, but it's an option...

Good luck...

DaFace
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
When you're trying to get into safe mode, make sure that you start hitting F8 immediately after starting the computer. The menu you're looking for should come up just BEFORE you would normally see the WindowsXP logo. In safe mode, there may be an "Administrator" account. If it's not password protected, you can go in through that account and remove the password through the Users Accounts control panel.

Just to make sure, when the password option comes up, is it before or after the WindowsXP logo comes up?

go bowe
09-11-2006, 07:57 PM
yep, hitting f8 all the way to the to the welcome screen...

the welcome screen comes up before the login screen...

f8 works on this computer (the menu to get into safe mode)...

but not on my son's pc...

DaFace
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Weird. The only thing I can think of is that your BIOS isn't recognizing your keyboard at first. Does the keyboard plug in with a USB connection or something?

SLAG
09-11-2006, 09:12 PM

Try Pressing the CTRL button inplace of F8

;)

go bowe
09-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Weird. The only thing I can think of is that your BIOS isn't recognizing your keyboard at first. Does the keyboard plug in with a USB connection or something?i've got the usb supported in the bios and it responds to other other key strokes normally...

update: today i tried to use my xp disc to run setup and follow some instructions from some website...

it got me into the repair screen once (booting from the xp cd), but the instructions didn't work and somehow i got the damned thing to not start at all...

it tries to boot from the cd but for some reason won't actually read the damned thing, even the usual stuff about memory checks and self-tests don't display, let alone a screen to access the del key to get into the cmos...

i've had troubles with puters before, but this one mystifies me and i'm not yet ready to give up, even though it appears that so far i have made things worse...

i really want to keep this installation of xp working, but it baffles me why it won't read the cd and now won't even start up at all so i could try to deal with the forgotten password...

any magicians in the house?

DaFace
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Hmm...when you say it's "not starting up," what specifically happens? Also, what "instructions" did you use prior to it not starting at all?

go bowe
09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
now it just makes some noise, like fairly long beeps...

the lights on the cd-rom come on, but the pc doesn't do anything at all in terms of actually starting up...

nothing appears on the screen at all now...

as far as the instructoins go, i got it to read from the cd once and got into the repair console, which i was supposed to use f10 to access the gui for the two accounts i have on the pc...

the instructions said to press f10 when setup starts displaying the device listing, and to type nusrmgr.cpl at the command prompt...

i did that like they said, but all i got was the command prompt again...

then when i tried rebooting with the xp cd, nothing happened except a few relatively long beeps from the p.c. but nothing at all appears onscreen, no memory test, no access to the setup in cmos...

well, i should say i can't get anything to work at this point...

it won't boot from the cd disk again, it just makes a few beeps but nothing is appearing onscreen and the pc doesn't even sound like the pc is trying to boot from the cd, but nothing happens...

it doesn't even go to the login screen, hell it doesn't go anywhere but a blank (dark) screen...

this is the site with the directions i tried to follow instructions (http://snipurl.com/8dsl)

since the problem began, trying to start in safe mode (pressing f8) has not worked (nothing happened it just continued to boot to the login screen, which it doesn't do anymore...)

DaFace
09-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Strange as it sounds, your inability to boot the PC likely has nothing to do with the instructions you followed. You're getting a POST beep code, which indicates a hardware problem. I don't see any way that the instructions you followed could have caused that. Did you open up the PC or anything while trying to get it going? If not, you may just have a strange coincidence on your hands.

When you turn on the PC, count the number and length of the beeps you get (somewhat like morse code). You may be able to cross-reference that with a reference page like this one (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm) to clue you in about the problem.

Fish
09-15-2006, 11:02 AM
now it just makes some noise, like fairly long beeps...

Now it sounds like you bumped the memory or video card out of alignment or something.

Start it again and pay close attention to the beeps you hear. That's the motherboard trying to tell you what's wrong. Usually it's the video card that got jarred and doesn't have a good connection. You might try to unseat the cards and memory sticks you have in there and try to boot it again.

Here's a reference to the beep codes:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

If you know what type of BIOS you have, you can tell exactly what's wrong. Get it up and booted again, and we'll go from there.

chief2000
09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

Try Microsoft official website. Atleast it's up to date. sp2 update on your computer might have messed with security hole. Just a guess.

Fish
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

Try Microsoft official website. Atleast it's up to date. sp2 update on your computer might have messed with security hole. Just a guess.

Hey rocket surgeon..... he can't even boot to Windows....

chief2000
09-17-2006, 10:37 PM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

DaFace
09-17-2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

The computer's not POSTing genius. Boot CD's won't help either.

Lzen
09-19-2006, 12:07 PM

go bowe
09-19-2006, 01:16 PM
The computer's not POSTing genius. Boot CD's won't help either.it still won't post...

i've left it alone for several days, hoping it might heal itself...

no such luck yet... :) :) :)

go bowe
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
.i have to concede this whole problem is probably user error...

but it's a little weird that at the same time i was attempting to bypass a forgotten password, one of the things that is part of the post thingy decides to crap out at the same time...

first it wouldn't boot into safe more, then i tried to follow some instructions i had found on the net to bypass the password (there's a link to instructions higher up in this thread...

i changed the boot order in cmos for the windows cd to boot first, and it did boot from the cd (but i think i changed the the boot order all to be cd by mistakre, and i dont have floppy drives on any of my computers, including the pc that won't work)...

after i got into the windows repair console screen, i tried to use the "hole" that was referenced in those instructions, but it didn't work...

so i exited the repair screen and tried to get it to boot, but all i get now is some beeps (fairly long and regular) and the pc won't boot from the cd disk or any other bootable cd's that i have...

and due to my creative genious in the cmos, the poor pc can't boot from the hd either, and there is no floppy...

so i'm stuck with having to find some way of making the cd boot, which of course i can't do because it won't even post and then i need to accessthe cmos to correct the boot order i seem to have ****ed up...

i really don't want to spend any money on getting his pc to run, so i'm grateful for any advice that you all can give me...

and i really want the thing to run without having to format the hd and reinstall windows if at all possible...

Fish
09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
i really don't want to spend any money on getting his pc to run, so i'm grateful for any advice that you all can give me...

and i really want the thing to run without having to format the hd and reinstall windows if at all possible...

Try to reseat the cards and memory sticks in your machine, and I bet it will boot.

Start with the video card. Take the little screw out (if there is one) and just pull it out of the slot and put it right back in. Try removing the memory sticks and putting them right back in as well.

There should also be a cluster of wires coming out of your power supply and running to the motherboard. It will look like this: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Images/1.2connector_005.jpg

Unhook that, and then plug it back in. See if that gets it to boot...

go bowe
03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Try to reseat the cards and memory sticks in your machine, and I bet it will boot.

Start with the video card. Take the little screw out (if there is one) and just pull it out of the slot and put it right back in. Try removing the memory sticks and putting them right back in as well.

There should also be a cluster of wires coming out of your power supply and running to the motherboard. It will look like this: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Images/1.2connector_005.jpg

Unhook that, and then plug it back in. See if that gets it to boot...thanks for the help... that worked... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Fish
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
thanks for the help... that worked... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It took you 6 months to try that??

:p

My kinda tech.....

Glad that worked!

go bowe
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
It took you 6 months to try that??

:p

My kinda tech.....

Glad that worked!me too...

yeah, i did take 6 months didn't i?

now, can you or somebody else point me to a password reset disc other than the ultimate boot cd?

will a xp password reset disc work on a computer other than one it was created on?

thanks again all you guys...

chasedude
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
me too...

now, can you or somebody else point me to a password reset disc other than the ultimate boot cd?

will a xp password reset disc work on a computer other than one it was created on?

I have not tried this but from my knowledge in computers this would seem to work. Very precise instructions given here using your own Win XP disc.
Password Reset (http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/how-to-reset-your-windows-xp-password-137980.php)

I've also used a good program if you can get your hands on it, ERD Commander. It's expensive and only got my copy from the last company I worked with.

Hope this helps!

Fish
03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
me too...

Here's the one I use.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It's got complete instructions. If you scroll down the page, you'll find the direct download link to download the image. Burn that to CD or floppy and boot it up in the machine. Free and relatively easy.

If you have any questions with it, let me know. It looks more confusing than it is....

go bowe
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
wow, evrything is working just fine...

all 3 of my pc's at home are back online and ready to roll, thanks to your advice...

my wife's computer, which apparently blew the power supply altogether, was the dirtiest computer i ever saw and i'm assuming that's what cooked the power supply (because when we replaced it, the pc started up again and is running normally)...

mine needed cleaning, but is running ok...

my son's pc was the one that couldn't even get through the post, let alone boot up...

we followed the advice on this thread (thanks to everybody who offered advice) and used the enuit thingy to reset the password...

thanks again to everybody who helped me out of this predicament, especially you, kcfish... :toast:

Fish
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
That's what we're here for bub....

:toast: