PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sign Gardner....

recxjake
09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583657

Chiefs add Gardner after receivers net 69 yards in lossBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

With their opening day loss confirming the Kansas City Chiefs' need for another veteran wide receiver, ESPN.com has learned that the team on Monday reached a contract agreement with Rod Gardner, who was released by the Green Bay Packers last week.

GardnerGardner, 28, will sign a three-year contract once he passes a team physical examination. The five-year veteran worked out last week for Kansas City coaches and club personnel officials and also had auditions with a few other teams. Financial details of the contract were not immediately available.

A first-round pick of the Washington Redskins in the 2001 draft, Gardner has been an itinerant player of late, and the Chiefs will be his fourth different team since the 2004 season. But if Gardner can quickly assimilate the Kansas City offense, and regain some of his previous form, he could add a possession and size dimension that is currently lacking in the Chiefs' passing attack.

The Kansas City wide receivers combined for only eight catches for 69 yards in Sunday's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. One factor, of course, was the head injury that knocked starting quarterback Trent Green from the game. But the top three Kansas City wideouts -- Eddie Kennison, Samie Parker and Dante Hall -- are all vertical receivers and Gardner might be able to add a different twist to the mix.

The former Clemson standout was the 15th overall selection in 2001 and, in his first three seasons with the Redskins, he averaged 58.7 catches, 782.3 yards and 5.7 touchdowns, solid numbers for a complementary No. 2 receiver. His most productive year was in 2002, when Gardner registered 71 receptions for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns.

But a change in coaching staffs in Washington reduced his playing time and productivity and, in early '05, coach Joe Gibbs granted Gardner permission to seek a trade. The Redskins subsequently dealt Gardner to Carolina, but the Panthers released him in December and Green Bay claimed him on waivers.

In 12 combined appearances with the Panthers and Packers last season, Gardner had only 13 receptions for 151 yards and one touchdown. Clearly, though, there were teams in the past week interested in him, and the Chiefs are hopeful he can get his career back on track.

Gardner has 240 receptions for 3,148 yards and 23 touchdowns in 76 regular-season appearances.

DaKCMan AP
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Not sure what to make of this. Bye bye Hannon?

Guru
Well, it is something.

ChiefsCountry
What we didnt sign Charles Rogers?

ChiefsFire
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
any help is good help

Count Zarth
Holy shit. This is cool!

recxjake
I'd release everyone besides Kennison... start over!

PastorMikH
Can he play Tackle?

Seriously, for those of you who know about him, what's the scoop on him?

noa
09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm intrigued...let's hope he turns his career around here.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Good move.....At least the guy has produced before:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5462/career;_ylt=AuBVOh2wProykd.brdo5bFv.uLYF

JBucc
09-11-2006, 05:52 PM
OK I guess

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I like big receivers.

ChiefFan31
09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
If he can help us, im all for it.

I suppose we dont have a big possesion guy at WR. It has been Gonzo of late.

DaKCMan AP
09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
I'd release everyone besides Kennison... start over!

:stupid:

recxjake
09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I believe that no move we do matters until we fix the o-line...

best case scenario..

Roaf, Waters, Casey, Sheilds, Turley

Is there anyone that we can sign to play tackle?!?!

Sure-Oz
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Nice sign, we really needed help at the WR core. Solid vet, hopefully can resurect his early Redskins days. Too bad there are no tackles worth jack.

mac58
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
so we lose our strating QB our offensive lines falls apart at the seems and parker and kennison have decent outings. . .and we sign a ****ing reciever. . .this ****ing team man. . .

runnercyclist

best case scenario..

Willie Roaf is available. Money talks.

tommykat
Can he play Tackle?

Seriously, if they don't find someone half like Willie, Trent is going to be killed. I really wish Wille could come back this year only! Protect Trent someone!!!!

mac58
09-11-2006, 06:01 PM
recievers are weak yes, but FAR from our problem. . .

runnercyclist
09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I'll put in the first $10K. I figure if, between the Chiefs and us, we can raise enough cake, WR may come play takle for us again.

recxjake
09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Wille Roaf is the key to this season...

Bwana
09-11-2006, 06:03 PM
If we don't fix the line, we won't have anyone left to throw to the guy because all our QB's will be knocked out. I wish Peterson would make some kind of a trade for a decent lineman.

Thig Lyfe
09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Pretty good move. Maybe he'll have a Kennison-esque revival.

BigVE
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I know some on here are in love with Samie Parker but I doubt he impressed the staff at all in the last game and for me last years game tape of Parker isnt impressive either so I am glad they pulled the trigger on trying for an upgrade at WR. He is no longer a rookie and he still thinks its cute/funny when he drops a ball which happens way too often. I say nice addition.

recxjake
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
we need to trade for a tackle from a non contending team... Packers, 49er's, Raiders (Gallery), Vikings, Lions, etc

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Parker isn't being replaced. LOL.

Ralphy Boy
From before he was drafted draftcard CNNSI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/nfldraft/players/31338.html)

I don't know where this kid went wrong, but like so many others he is worth a look.

Wa-Z
we need to trade for a tackle from a non contending team... Packers, 49er's, Raiders (Gallery), Vikings, Lions, etc

That would be sweet.

tommykat
09-11-2006, 06:10 PM
If we don't fix the line, we won't have anyone left to throw to the guy because all our QB's will be knocked out. I wish Peterson would make some kind of a trade for a decent lineman.

Again, I agree! I was saying the same as Pastor Mike was trying to say. :hmmm: I think you stated it best~

Mecca
09-11-2006, 06:12 PM
He's kind of slow in the possesion WR mold......I guess this shows what Herm thinks of Samie Parker.

Adept Havelock
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM

I doubt there is anyone they have they would be willing to part with without us giving up way too much for a rent-a-tackle. I'd love to get and groom Gallery, but there is no way Al lets him go. As for the Pack, you have seen their O-Line recently, haven't you?

NFL starting caliber LT's are one of the most difficult things in the world to find. Almost as difficult as finding a decent vehicle with GM on the label. :p

JBucc
09-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I thought we were gonna sign Watts. Oh well this guy'll do.

recxjake
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Almost as difficult as finding a decent vehicle with GM on the label. :p

hillarious.

TEX
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Can he play Tackle?

It's not really going to matter unless he can play Tackle.

Coach
09-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Sweet, let's load up with WR's, QB's and other position skills, but let's ignore the O-Line and D-Line.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

HC_Chief
09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Good. We needed to add a WR. Parker should move to slot/3rd WR and Hall needs to stick with KR/PR.

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd rather have had Watts.

There must be a good reason Garner has bounced around and found himself cut from WR-hungry teams like GB.

eh.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Sweet, let's load up with WR's, QB's and other position skills, but let's ignore the O-Line and D-Line.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:
We have drafted one DT after another to no avail. We have needed good receivers for a long time. Nice move.

Reaper16
09-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I like it. He's a possession guy, gives you different things than Kennison and Parker. He's an improvement at the 3rd WR spot with considerable size over Dante.

Sully
09-11-2006, 06:34 PM

best case scenario..

Turley, Waters, Wigeman, Sheilds, Black is a top 10 offensive line

You really shouldn't talk about football.
And saying we should trade for Gallery?

Wow.

PastorMikH
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
recievers are weak yes, but FAR from our problem. . .

A big WR that can go accross the middle and fight for the catch could give our QB a quick option.

Besides, being fast isn't worth much if the WR can't catch the ball.

chiefbowe82
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
welbourn

eazyb81
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
This is an okay signing, but when are we signing Charles Rogers?

:)

Coach
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
We have drafted one DT after another to no avail. We have needed good receivers for a long time. Nice move.

The drafting of DT's, I can agree. However, as Iowanian said, there is something wrong here, if he just got cut by the Packers, not to mention that he has bounced around lately from teams that needed WR's at the time.

chief2000
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
There is some other issue with Rogers no one is talking about.

Sully
09-11-2006, 07:57 PM
There is some other issue with Rogers no one is talking about.

Did Moooo **** him, too?

blueballs
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
no one is desperate enough to call for Lincoln Kennedy
he tried to make a comeback with some team this season

Logical
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
We need an offensive tackle so we sign a wide receiver, that makes perfect sense for the Chiefs.

MYKCCHIEFS
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Can he play Tackle?

I posted this on another forum.
Last year Carolina traded a 6th round pick to get him from Washington. By the 2nd week in the season, the big joke on the local sports talk radio was that he was too stupid to learn the playbook because he had not even played a down yet. He finally played in the 5th game of the season and in 8 or 9 games he ended up with 9 catches for 84 yards with 1 TD. The Panthers very quietly let him go and Green Bay picked him up. He played in the last few or so games with 4 catches for 67 yards. He totalled 13 catches for 151 yards and 1 TD. Green Bay was dumb enough to re-sign him in March. After a wonderful summer and preseason showing by Rod, the Packers released him in their final cuts.

I live in Charlotte and I listen to nothing but the local sports talk radio. I hear about the Panthers and that's it. When Carolina traded for him, everybody was excited because he was a 1st round pick and was supposed to be the next Steve Smith. I couldn't believe how much all of the sports talk shows bagged on him about the not being able to learn the playbook. Then, when he was cut before the end of the season, I heard NOTHING about it around here. That is a VERY big black eye in the Panther's organization. I guess it's fitting that my Chiefs are about to do something absolutely stupid. :banghead:

Portis&Taylor
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
sorry to break it to you guys but rod gardner is terrible with the redskins he dropped everythin that came his way. The guy couldnt even make the packers! :banghead: There is no way he is better than samie parker as I saw one thread say.

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
What happened to him? He had a great year that one year.

Adept Havelock
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
What happened to him? He had a great year that one year.

So did Dan Williams.

:spock:

chop
09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I would rather give Webb the experience.

OnTheWarpath58
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I would rather give Webb the experience.

Absolutely.

The fact that the offensive juggernaut that is the Green Bay Packers cut him tells me everything I need to know....

Memo to the Chiefs Organization:

You could bring back Jerry Rice in his prime. If the QB doesn't have time to throw, who you line up at the WR position is irrelevant.

The problem is that we have a RT who isn't even that good at his natural Guard position, and a center who turned into a pumpkin overnight.

You can run WR's through here all year long, and it won't make a difference until you fix the OL........

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
He's gotta be better than Hannon, right?

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
We need an offensive tackle so we sign a wide receiver, that makes perfect sense for the Chiefs.We've been looking for a wide receiver. Everyone's wanted us to sign one.

Then we do, and people are moaning because we didn't sign a tackle instead.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Logical
09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
We've been looking for a wide receiver. Everyone's wanted us to sign one.

Then we do, and people are moaning because we didn't sign a tackle instead.

They are not mutually exclusive.Obviously you are still a young Chiefs fan who has not drunk fully from years of dissappointment. 2nd I have not been rooting for a receiver to be signed.

Raiderhader
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
I like the move, it will hopefully help keep Dante off the field except for returns. That in and of its self is a positive for me.

TEX
09-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Absolutely.

The fact that the offensive juggernaut that is the Green Bay Packers cut him tells me everything I need to know....

Memo to the Chiefs Organization:

You could bring back Jerry Rice in his prime. If the QB doesn't have time to throw, who you line up at the WR position is irrelevant.

The problem is that we have a RT who isn't even that good at his natural Guard position, and a center who turned into a pumpkin overnight.

You can run WR's through here all year long, and it won't make a difference until you fix the OL........

Please post this on the Doors at One Arrowhead Drive. This point is so obvious.

Adept Havelock
09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Please post this on the Doors at One Arrowhead Drive. This point is so obvious.

It's unnervingly Martin Lutherish, but I'm willing to go nail it to the doors.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
sorry to break it to you guys but rod gardner is terrible with the redskins he dropped everythin that came his way. The guy couldnt even make the packers! :banghead: There is no way he is better than samie parker as I saw one thread say.

He had to have made a few catches. He had a 1,000 yard recieving season a few years back. Perhaps Kennison can school him on how to revitalize your career. It was a decent move. If it works awesume, if not, we are not out much.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Apparently Jeff Webb is the new Marc Boerigter around here.....

Hoover
09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
We don't have a possession receiver. If Haurd is the QB and our OT's suck he isn't going to have the time to throw the ball down the field to Kennison and Parker. We need a big guy who can go up and battle for the ball, just like Gonzo did on Sunday.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM
We don't have a possession receiver. .

we havent had one for years. We should have signed Keyshawn in the offseason.

PastorMikH
09-11-2006, 10:44 PM
We need an offensive tackle so we sign a wide receiver, that makes perfect sense for the Chiefs.

Curious Jim, what OTs are available right now that can step in and play who are available and willing to play?

PastorMikH
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I guess it's fitting that my Chiefs are about to do something absolutely stupid. :banghead:

Don't know how stupid this move is. I doubt they have much more than League minimum invested in him. If he works out we have a bargain, if he doesn't we haven't lost anymore than we have will all the other playerss we tried out and cut this year.

KCChiefsFan88
09-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Classic Carl Peterson. Wait until after the first game to realize duhhhhhhh the Chiefs are ultra-thin at WR with no veteran WRs outside of Kennison.

This same shit happens every single year. Will Carl ever learn the time to address these problems are during the offseason and not after the season has started.

Another example of Peterson being REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE

SNR
09-12-2006, 12:30 AM
We need an offensive tackle so we sign a wide receiver, that makes perfect sense for the Chiefs.I agree. We should've just signed one of the many talented pro bowl offensive tackles out there just waiting to be signed instead of picking up Gardner.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CARL!

Woodrow Call
09-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I think this move also shows a change in the type of WRs the Chiefs are looking for. Instead of the smaller quicker receivers like Parker , Hall, or even Chris Horn the Chiefs are bringing in guys like Webb, Gardner, and Hannon who are all in the 6-2 210lbs range.

TEX
09-12-2006, 12:54 AM
we havent had one for years. We should have signed Keyshawn in the offseason.

I thought so at the time as well. Keyshawn was interested but Peterson acted like he didn't care and said that we might bring him in for a look later on. He never was allowed to leave Carolina.

TNTEICHER
09-12-2006, 05:29 AM
I pray he will replace Dante as the 3rd reciever. Trent had a hard time hitting the tiny reciever -- Huard has no chance. We needed someone that is a bigger target. Great move -- a little late -- but great.
He'll have to run quick slants on every play because the balls going to need to leave the QB's hand fast.

Inspector
09-12-2006, 06:09 AM
:clap:
Absolutley!

We could have the best receivers in the league past or present and they would have a very difficult time making receptions when the QB is laying flat on his back wondering why there's so much yelling going on around him and how he got there and what his name is.....

Bob Dole
09-12-2006, 06:38 AM
I pray he will replace Dante as the 3rd reciever. Trent had a hard time hitting the tiny reciever -- Huard has no chance.

Right. That's why Hall had the most catches of all the wide receivers.

Chief Chief
09-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Now if we can only trade Hicks, Hannon, Herm, and Huard for a couple of excellent OLs.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Classic Carl Peterson. Wait until after the first game to realize duhhhhhhh the Chiefs are ultra-thin at WR with no veteran WRs outside of Kennison.

This same shit happens every single year. Will Carl ever learn the time to address these problems are during the offseason and not after the season has started.

Another example of Peterson being REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE

Kinda like when he signed Kyle Turley...

HC_Chief
09-12-2006, 07:36 AM
I'd rather have had Watts.

There must be a good reason Garner has bounced around and found himself cut from WR-hungry teams like GB.

eh.

Where is Watts and why the f*ck didn't we sign him THE WEEK WE PLAY DUNGVER?!

brent102fire
09-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe Gardner has gained enough weight to play RT? :hmmm:

jspchief
09-12-2006, 10:01 AM
It's a nice addition. An experienced guy who offers something different from what our existing WRs have.

We didn't bring this guy in to be Marvin Harrison. We brought him in to be Keyshawn Johnson. A big target that can go over the middle.

HC_Chief
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
It's a nice addition. An experienced guy who offers something different from what our existing WRs have.

We didn't bring this guy in to be Marvin Harrison. We brought him in to be Keyshawn Johnson. A big target that can go over the middle.

...and not let passes bounce off his hands for an INT :grr: