PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower Help Please

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Purchased a lawnmower in June or so. Has worked fine til last night. Someone I know tells me it might be my spark plug, so I change it. Didn't make a difference. I called the Lowe's service number. They are telling me it could be that I put premium grade gas in it, when it calls for regular unleaded. This sounds like bs to me? Any ideas? Just for kicks, I have drained the gas and am going to try regular, but haven't had time to fill my jug yet.

JBucc
09-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Why the hell did you waste premium on a lawnmower?

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Why the hell did you waste premium on a lawnmower?

I know it was stupid, but I was filling up my tank and went ahead and filled up my jug. Hey, I never said I was bright.

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Well, thanks for everyone's help.

JimNasium
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Antifreeze?

ChiefsFire
09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
are you wearing a bikini while trying to start it?

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
are you wearing a bikini while trying to start it?

Yes. Yes I was. I was also in high heels. Damn lawncutter thingamajigs.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Sounds like the magneto. Take the spark plug out and (leaving the wire attached) lay it on the metal head. Crank it and see if it sparks. If not, it is the magneto. If it does it is a fuel problem. Where is your big, strong man?

JimNasium
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Sounds like the magneto. Take the spark plug out and (leaving the wire attached) lay it on the metal head. Crank it and see if it sparks. If not, it is the magneto. If it does it is a fuel problem. Where is your big, strong man?
Drinking a beer and hanging with my kids dumbass. Jenny does all of the hard labor.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Drinking a beer and hanging with my kids dumbass. Jenny does all of the hard labor.
Reminds me of the story about how, before the white men got here, the women did all the work while the men hunted and fished all day. Then we came along and "fixed it".

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 06:44 PM

God that ain't no joke. Lockjaw and tennis elbow sucks. Especially at the same time.

mlyonsd
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM

I'd add when you pull the plug after trying to start it several times check to see if the plug is soaking wet with gas or bone dry. If it's bone dry you're not getting gas to the plug.

Jenny Gump

I checked the old spark plug last night like you said here, and it sparked. So can premium really mess things up?

Jenny Gump
I'd add when you pull the plug after trying to start it several times check to see if the plug is soaking wet with gas or bone dry. If it's bone dry you're not getting gas to the plug.

Its wet.

JimNasium
God that ain't no joke. Lockjaw and tennis elbow sucks. Especially at the same time.
Don't you have some cooking or laundry to do? Us men are trying to talk here.

Spott
09-11-2006, 06:46 PM
You mean people actually use that premium sh*t?

runnercyclist
09-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Purchased a lawnmower in June or so. Has worked fine til last night. Someone I know tells me it might be my spark plug, so I change it. Didn't make a difference. I called the Lowe's service number. They are telling me it could be that I put premium grade gas in it, when it calls for regular unleaded. This sounds like bs to me? Any ideas? Just for kicks, I have drained the gas and am going to try regular, but haven't had time to fill my jug yet.

I am sure there are plenty of guys on here who'd fill your jug for ya.

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Don't you have some cooking or laundry to do? Us men are trying to talk here.

I am so sorry your highness. (making mental note for revenge later)

JimNasium
09-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I am so sorry your highness. (making mental note for revenge later)
Heh

mlyonsd
09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Its wet.

If you're not talking about the spark plug you shouldn't be worried about mowing the yard anyway.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I checked the old spark plug last night like you said here, and it sparked. So can premium really mess things up?
I would think it would run OK on premium. I'll bet you've been doing it all summer. A spark plug rarely "quits". They fail gradually like a battery. One plug on my Astrovan is nearly impossible to get to and had never been changed in 300,000 miles. And it was still firing.

mlyonsd
09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Its wet.

If you are talking about the spark plug take it out and dry it off. You can even hold it with a pair of pliers and put a lighter to it.

Put it back in and try again. As soon as the motor pops back the choke off and try again.

Coach
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
- Check spark plug.
- Never never never use premium fuel. Only unleaded.
- Check to see if the mower has plenty of oil.
- Make sure all wiring is secure, and everything is secure.
- There also like a mini-pump (on certain brands of mowers) where you can pump the fuel, as if like a jump start, if you will. If not, try to choke it while starting the mower a few tries. Then gradually remove the choke as it's sputtering to keep it running.

That's about what I got. Hope you figure it out.

Bill Parcells
09-11-2006, 07:04 PM
it could be some garbage in the fuel..some grass??change the fuel filter too..

runnercyclist
09-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Hire the next door neighbor's 14 year old to cut your grass for $20. Or let him take it out in trade.

Coach
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Oh, almost forgot. Make sure the area where the spark plug goes, is throughly cleaned up. Sometimes a little rust could be a problem.

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all the solutions. I had no idea premium would or could be an issue.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
She really shouldn't be having trouble with a mower she bought three months ago. (Assuming it was new) It has been so dry I doubt if she's used more than 5 times. So it is probably just flooded. It hasn't had time to rust or get a bunch of crap in the gas tank.

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
She really shouldn't be having trouble with a mower she bought three months ago. (Assuming it was new) It has been so dry I doubt if she's used more than 5 times. So it is probably just flooded. It hasn't had time to rust or get a bunch of crap in the gas tank.

true

Frazod
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I got sucked into that buying premium crap once, back when I had few bills outside of my car payment and plenty of cash to burn. Made my car stall constantly, once in the middle of Lake Shore Drive. The mechanics at the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong until I mentioned (out of exasperation) how I put premium in the car, and it shouldn run better.

The mechanic pointed at my used Achieva and said "DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A NEW CORVETTE?"

:doh!:

If you don't drive a car that calls for premium, don't use it.

And certainly don't put it in a lawnmower. :D

Jenny Gump
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I got sucked into that buying premium crap once, back when I had few bills outside of my car payment and plenty of cash to burn. Made my car stall constantly, once in the middle of Lake Shore Drive. The mechanics at the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong until I mentioned (out of exasperation) how I put premium in the car, and it shouldn run better.

The mechanic pointed at my used Achieva and said "DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A NEW CORVETTE?"

:doh!:

If you don't drive a car that calls for premium, don't use it.

And certainly don't put it in a lawnmower. :D

how am i supposed to know? i'm just a stupid girl.

blueballs
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
if the aircleaner is paper knock the dust/grass off
if it is foam wash it with dishsoap
squeeze out water and add a dab of oil

Frazod
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
how am i supposed to know? i'm just a stupid girl.

You're only stupid if you do it twice. :D

Hog Rider
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
If your gettin' spark and it appears to be getting gas - pull (take) the plug out and open the throttle, but not the choke and pull the starterer cord about ten times to get all the fuel out of the combustion chamber. Set the throttle back to normal or idle position. Take the dang spark plug and warm the sucker up 'till the tip is red hot with a butane torch or the friggin' stove top (gas of course). A l cig' lighter will do in a pinch but it won't get nearly as hot as fast. Put the plug in as quick as reasonable. (gloves may be in order by now if it took a long time to get the tip hot) put the plug boot back on and with the fuel on and throttle slightly open, start trying to start it. If two or three pulls don't get it firing, give it a little choke a time or two. and see what that does. If it doesn't start recheck the plug for wettness and spark.

If it stays dry you may need a little ether or god forbid drizzel a little fuel directly into the carburetor, then try crankin' the sob. (not the ole man)

If the plug is wet the fuel is likely the problem and should be drained and changed.

Be real careful Jenny G., be real careful. As in don't be doin' this in the livin' room or even the garage - outside girl!

chief2000
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
premium is ok. it should even work better with it.

sounds like no fuel into the carb.

needs tune up.

ask the neighborhood wiseguy/handyman.

doing fixits on the net is almost impossible without seeing and hearing the problem.

PastorMikH
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Just because the motor doesn't run doesn't mean you can't mow. Pulling the rope turns the blade, just keep pulling the rope while you push the mower accross the yard.

:)

Other than being more expensive than you actually need, I wouldn't think that premium would make much difference in a lawnmower motor.

The last time you used it, did you hit a rock, tree root, or something similar with it? The wife does a great job of doing that and I everytime I have to pull the flywheel and replace the key in the shaft to get the thing back in time so it will run.

chief2000
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Oh, if you put that spark plug in yourself then you probably did it wrong or didn't put the cap on tight.

PastorMikH
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
needs tune up.

On most mowers 20 years old or newer that consists of a new plug, air filter, and changing the oil.

Jenny Gump
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh, if you put that spark plug in yourself then you probably did it wrong or didn't put the cap on tight.

Screw you, I know how to change a spark plug.

I think Pastor Mike might be onto something. I think I may have run it over something last time I used it. See, just goes to show...the Bible really does have all the answers.

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:06 PM

I think Pastor Mike might be onto something. I think I may have run it over something last time I used it. See, just goes to show...the Bible really does have all the answers.
Did you buy the mower new? It shouldn' need any "tune up" after five uses. If you hit something and bent the crank you would have noticed that immediately after the "accident".

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM

"Screw you"? I love it when you talk dirty.

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM

The Book of Briggs, Chapter 3, Verse 12. 'And God sayeth, "Runneth not over the poor and the weak with blades of iron, for if thou doest, I shall smite those blades and make them motionless, and the grasses and weeds of the field shall groweth over thee like sores over the lepers."'

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 09:12 PM
The Book of Briggs, Chapter 3, Verse 12. 'And God sayeth, "Runneth not over the poor and the weak with blades of iron, for if thou doest, I shall smite those blades and make them motionless, and the grasses and weeds of the field shall groweth over thee like sores over the lepers."'
Damn it! I missed that part of the Bible.

redbrian
09-12-2006, 09:27 PM
if the aircleaner is paper knock the dust/grass off
if it is foam wash it with dishsoap
squeeze out water and add a dab of oil

Blueballs is on to something here, remove the cover to the air breather and the filter.

Now try to start it, if it starts go out and buy a new filter.

If it does not start get a can of starter spray and shoot a shot in the carb and then see if it starts.

You may also need to get some carb cleaner to clean the carb.

Burning too rich of fuel (premium) in these things can gum them up.

Rain Man
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Damn it! I missed that part of the Bible.

If you didn't read that, the Book of Toro won't make any sense at all.

Joe Seahawk
09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
My guess is it's a malfunctioning safety grab device on the handle..

You're welcome.. ;)

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Blueballs is on to something here, remove the cover to the air breather and the filter.

Now try to start it, if it starts go out and buy a new filter.

If it does not start get a can of starter spray and shoot a shot in the carb and then see if it starts.

You may also need to get some carb cleaner to clean the carb.

Burning too rich of fuel (premium) in these things can gum them up.
Jenny hasn't answered on whether it is a new mower but I suspect it is. In which case all the problems that develop later like stopped up air filter, fouled spark plug do not apply. I suspect she had it flooded. She is a stupid girl.

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Pay a kid to mow it.

PastorMikH
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Did you buy the mower new? It shouldn' need any "tune up" after five uses. If you hit something and bent the crank you would have noticed that immediately after the "accident".

Actually, my guess is she probably hit something and spun the flywheel on the crank. There is an aluminum key that fits in the slot on the shaft and flywheel that sheers if the blade hits something. It does that to protect the crankshaft. If the flywheel has sheared the key but not moved very far, the mower will keep running once it is going. But it's really hard to start. The wife mowed last week and though she guarantees she didn't hit anything, neither her or the daughter can start it now. I can start it but I have to yank pretty good and crank spinning fast enough to start with it out of time.

The wife does this at least once a year. It's not too hard to fix but would be tough to explain over the internet. The keys are about two bits apiece.

Jenny, if the mower is still under warranty, take it back to where you bought it. If it an older person that has a shop out behind his house and pay him to fix it. There are lots of retired dudes around tinkering on mowers in their garage for extra $.

PastorMikH
09-12-2006, 10:33 PM

Its not often I dish out the coveted 5 rofl's

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Women and anything with a motor-do not mix.

PastorMikH
09-12-2006, 10:42 PM

No kidding. We used to live on a 20 acre place that we mowed just over 2 acres of for yard. I came home one day and the wife had tried to mow. She had our 16hp craftsman rider dead, the Church's new Snapper rider dead, the Church's old snapper rider dead, and both push mowers dead. My 14 year old daughter is WAAAAAAYYYYYY better with the mowers than the wife is.

SPchief
09-12-2006, 10:49 PM
No kidding. We used to live on a 20 acre place that we mowed just over 2 acres of for yard. I came home one day and the wife had tried to mow. She had our 16hp craftsman rider dead, the Church's new Snapper rider dead, the Church's old snapper rider dead, and both push mowers dead. My 14 year old daughter is WAAAAAAYYYYYY better with the mowers than the wife is.

You'd think she would have stopped after the second mower quit working

PastorMikH
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
You'd think she would have stopped after the second mower quit working

:shake:
:banghead: :banghead:

chief2000
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
She needs to ask a man on her block.

Not through chief websites.

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I am sure some dude will want to FIX Jenny's mower.

PastorMikH
09-13-2006, 12:26 AM
She needs to ask a man on her block.

Not through chief websites.

She should have passed on the mower and picked up a DT

bkkcoh
09-13-2006, 06:05 AM
I am sure some dude will want to FIX Jenny's mower.

Why does the tatoo in one of the recent threads on the planet come to mind now.

Hog Farmer
09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Why didn't you mention that an ANVIL was lodged in the blade in the first place!

StcChief
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Why does the tatoo in one of the recent threads on the planet come to mind now.
For women to run a mower....they must have the Tatoo... makes sense.

Lzen
09-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Actually, my guess is she probably hit something and spun the flywheel on the crank. There is an aluminum key that fits in the slot on the shaft and flywheel that sheers if the blade hits something. It does that to protect the crankshaft. If the flywheel has sheared the key but not moved very far, the mower will keep running once it is going. But it's really hard to start. The wife mowed last week and though she guarantees she didn't hit anything, neither her or the daughter can start it now. I can start it but I have to yank pretty good and crank spinning fast enough to start with it out of time.

The wife does this at least once a year.

See what ya get for letting your woman do a man's job?
:shake:

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 02:07 PM
take it to Carpenters here in town.

CARPENTERS SAW SHOP
1340 E Kearney St
Springfield, MO 65803-4163
P: 417-869-6315

Radar Chief
09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
You mean people actually use that premium sh*t?

In a couple of my ďtoysĒ, I donít have much choice. Though Iíll typically run whatever is the lowest octane what Iím driveín/rideín can burn before detonating / pinging.

Radar Chief
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
So can premium really mess things up?

On a carbureted engine like your lawn mower? No. At worst, it could clog a catalytic converter but AFAIK no mowers are useín those. Yet.

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 02:39 PM
On a carbureted engine like your lawn mower? No. At worst, it could clog a catalytic converter but AFAIK no mowers are useín those. Yet.

could it have burned the points out.

Radar Chief
09-13-2006, 02:43 PM
could it have burned the points out.

No points, magneto.
At least Iím assuming. Either way, different octane gas shouldnít affect points either.

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
No points, magneto.
At least Iím assuming. Either way, different octane gas shouldnít affect points either.

i had a briggs and straton offset shaft that burned the points out cause i let a guy borrow it and he left it out in the rain and when it kept gaging out he would spay a shitpot of starter fluid in the carbhole.

would i be better off just buying a new motor( to me)? is it totally shot or could i overhaul it at a cheaper price?

Radar Chief
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
i had a briggs and straton offset shaft that burned the points out cause i let a guy borrow it and he left it out in the rain and when it kept gaging out he would spay a shitpot of starter fluid in the carbhole.

would i be better off just buying a new motor( to me)? is it totally shot or could i overhaul it at a cheaper price?

You mean he hasnít received a good ole Hillbilly azz whoopín yet? Youíre slackín. ;)
Iím no mower engine expert, but that Ether burns very hot, he couldíve done some damage. Typically as long as your head isnít cracked / warped, piston isnít holed or had a skirt break off, everything else can be rebuilt. Though, Wal-Mart sells Murray lawn mowers, with a Briggs & Stratton, so cheap itís hard to justify goín to much trouble with a used one.
Itís just hard to say, MO, though I donít think itíd be tough to NEVER let that guy borrow anything ever again. Believe me, Iíve got a brother in law in the same place with me. He never gets to borrow anything, ever again.

StcChief
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM

I thought it was: If it has T1ts or Tires you'll have problems.

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
You mean he hasnít received a good ole Hillbilly azz whoopín yet? Youíre slackín. ;)
Iím no mower engine expert, but that Ether burns very hot, he couldíve done some damage. Typically as long as your head isnít cracked / warped, piston isnít holed or had a skirt break off, everything else can be rebuilt. Though, Wal-Mart sells Murray lawn mowers, with a Briggs & Stratton, so cheap itís hard to justify goín to much trouble with a used one.
Itís just hard to say, MO, though I donít think itíd be tough to NEVER let that guy borrow anything ever again. Believe me, Iíve got a brother in law in the same place with me. He never gets to borrow anything, ever again.

ya he will never get to use my shit again.
problem is the engine has to be atleast 7horse w/ an offset driveshaft cause its on a log splitter.

thanks for the heads up.

JimNasium
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm mowing Jenny's lawn on Sunday. All of you knuckleheads need no longer worry about her mower. :D

boogblaster
09-13-2006, 03:40 PM
some newer mowers have a priming button on the side of the motor..you have to push it in several times to prime the gas into the cylinder..sometimes they vapor-lock and dont pump any gas in..if that happens you have to push it lightly a few times till it fills up with gas again..then punp it in the motor..it should start then....

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
some newer mowers have a priming button on the side of the motor..you have to push it in several times to prime the gas into the cylinder..sometimes they vapor-lock and dont pump any gas in..if that happens you have to push it lightly a few times till it fills up with gas again..then punp it in the motor..it should start then....

thats disgusting coming from you.

Donger
09-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm mowing Jenny's lawn on Sunday.

There's a personal grooming joke in there, but I won't make it.

PastorMikH
09-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Are you thinking of points or valves? Points haven't been on lawnmower engines since the early 80s and when they were, they were located under the flywheel and ran off a cam lip on the crankshaft telling the coil when to fire. They were in no way in contact with the combustion chamber or fuel. Valves on the other hand, could theoretically be damaged due to the higher temps of combustion for the higher octane, though I doubt it on a mower with the air vents cleaned out. Ether on the other hand burns even hotter and could burn up the valves.

If it were me, I'd buy a new motor or mower.