09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Why isn't anybody reporting this?

Heard on 610 hours ago.

TEX
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Who cares... :rolleyes:

runnercyclist
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
He probably was sick to his stomach yesterday.

Cochise
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
They reported on the local news he was going to have it to announce that he definitely will not be coming back. Sorry, don't remember what channel. 41 I think.

ct
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
"So you're tellin me there's a chance!!"

Straight, No Chaser
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
They reported on the local news he was going to have it to announce that he definitely will not be coming back. Sorry, don't remember what channel. 41 I think.

Too bad. He could stand up in the backfield and not move and do better than two of the linemen I saw in there yesterday.

--->

burt
09-11-2006, 07:49 PM

um, loved ya Willie, cya...time to move back to football......buh bye

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Who cares. Go drown yourself in a vat of gumbo, Willie.

JBucc
09-11-2006, 07:52 PM
He's going to announce his conversion to WR. He'll start next week.

alanm
09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
He not only let the team down after saying he was coming back this spring he talked Will into coming back and let him down as well.
F*ck Willie. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

TEX
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Too bad. He could stand up in the backfield and not move and do better than two of the linemen I saw in there yesterday.

--->

Sad but TRUE. :shake:

Frazod
Who cares. Go drown yourself in a vat of gumbo, Willie.

LMAO

C-Mac
Why does he need a to do a press conference to stay retired?

Cochise
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
He not only let the team down after saying he was coming back this spring he talked Will into coming back and let him down as well.

Come on, the guy gave us some of the most productive years a tackle has ever had. I think the guy deserves to be able to retire without the fans telling him to fugg off.

Fruit Ninja
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Come on, the guy gave us some of the most productive years a tackle has ever had. I think the guy deserves to be able to retire without the fans telling him to fugg off.People aare just asses, plain and simple. Dude, didnt want to retire. his body told him thats it bud. oh well, you will always have haters out there. just gotta deal.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM

That's about how I feel about him as well. The shit bag left us in a real jam.

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
nuthooks thread of the year prize goes to this thread

:banghead: :sulk:

Frazod
09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
That's about how I feel about him as well. The shit bag left us in a real jam.

Granted, we're definitely in a jam, but did he really bail at the last minute or is that just what we were told? I seem to remember a story about Roaf giving warning signs earlier in the year that he didn't think he could go any more.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Granted, we're definitely in a jam, but did he really bail at the last minute or is that just what we were told? I seem to remember a story about Roaf giving warning signs earlier in the year that he didn't think he could go any more.
You know what Tim, if that is indeed the case and turns out to be true, I wouldn't have a problem with him and Carl Peterson should be the one with his nut sack hanging from the flag pole outside of Arrowhead. I hope we learn the truth.

Frazod
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
You know what Tim, if that is indeed the case and turns out to be true, I wouldn't have a problem with him and Carl Peterson should be the one with his nut sack hanging from the flag pole outside of Arrowhead. I hope we learn the truth.

When was the last time any of these knoblickers told us the truth about anything?

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
When was the last time any of these knoblickers told us the truth about anything?

Yeah, point taken. :shake:

Logical
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Who cares. Go drown yourself in a vat of gumbo, Willie.This is just stupid, we could only pray he would change his mind and save our season.

Count Zarth
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
At this point, we'd need a time machine to save our season. We'd need to get the Willie Roaf from 2004.

Tribal Warfare
09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
At this point, we'd need a time machine to save our season. We'd need to get the Willie Roaf from 2004.

John Tait of 2002-03 too

Logical
09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
That's about how I feel about him as well. The shit bag left us in a real jam.I heard Trent say that Willie told the team before the draft he probably was not coming back but that he might change his mind. i think the team held out hope but made a move (picking up Turley) for insurance.

JBucc
09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Even if he did want to come back, he's probably 800 pounds and fused into his couch by now.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I heard Trent say that Willie told the team before the draft he probably was not coming back but that he might change his mind. i think the team held out hope but made a move (picking up Turley) for insurance.

We also lost Welborne. Someone should have been all over a trade at some point so we could have avoided the likes of scrub Black. :shake:

Cochise
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I heard Trent say that Willie told the team before the draft he probably was not coming back but that he might change his mind. i think the team held out hope but made a move (picking up Turley) for insurance.

Someone posted a story, I can't remember when, I think it may have been from the Lousiana Tech spring game. Roaf was there to have his number retired or somesuch, and he made noise in that article about how he was still trying to decide if he would come back or not.

It was posted here, I am not bored enough to dig it up though.

Anyong Bluth
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Roaf with 3 weeks of conditioning would be better than any option we have right now?

Is Welbourn still planning on sitting out the 1st 6 games and then coming back?

Getting one of those 2 back would be helpful, screw the rest of your pricks around here that are cussing out some1 for retiring b/c his body is jacked up! You're the dicks!

mdstu
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I loved Roaf and don't hate him for not being able to keep going.

But isn't this kind of bad timing to have a news conference to say, "uh buy the way I'm still retired".

Anyong Bluth
09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
So its a known that he's doing this to say he's still retired?

I'll agree that's pretty stupid and rather pointless unless he's tired of getting calls ?

Logical
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
We also lost Welborne. Someone should have been all over a trade at some point so we could have avoided the likes of scrub Black. :shake:Yup

mdstu
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't know.

Just read it in this thread.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Roaf with 3 weeks of conditioning would be better than any option we have right now?

Is Welbourn still planning on sitting out the 1st 6 games and then coming back?

Getting one of those 2 back would be helpful, screw the rest of your pricks around here that are cussing out some1 for retiring b/c his body is jacked up! You're the dicks!

Link?

Chan93lx50
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Didnt he already have a conference to tell us he was retired, so why is he doing it again?

TEX
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
We also lost Welborne. Someone should have been all over a trade at some point so we could have avoided the likes of scrub Black. :shake:

Yep. Especially since they saw what things would be like last year when Welbourn was suspended and Roaf went down. To re-live that was my biggest fear this whole off season. I was still very concerned during preseason and yesterday I was just fkn pissed because this deal was soooo obvious better planning should have occured.

tk13
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Link?
He said his hamstring was really bothering him again. I'm not sure but I think the same one that caused him to miss games last year.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Yep. Especially since they saw what things would be like last year when Welbourn was suspended and Roaf went down. To re-live that was my biggest fear this whole off season. I was still very concerned during preseason and yesterday I was just fkn pissed because this deal was soooo obvious better planning should have occured.

I think a lot of us were feeling the same way. The worst part is, even if Trent were able to play this week, there is no way the OL could protect him. I have a feeling when he does come back, he is going to get killed again. I could be a VERY long year.

Bwana
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
He said his hamstring was really bothering him again. I'm not sure but I think the same one that caused him to miss games last year.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't on all that much this summer and must have missed that. In that case, it sounds like Carls nards should be hanging from the flag pole for lack of action. What a complete dumbass. :shake:

Iowanian
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
My only beef with Roaf is that he waited until the last minute and shafted the team a little that way.

Otherwise, he's been a great Chief, and I wish him a good private life.

Skip Towne
09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Why does he need a to do a press conference to stay retired?
Good question.

Anyong Bluth
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
there was a story from a paper down in LA, I remember reading, talking about how he hadn't healed as fast as he hoped in the off-season and made mention of the fact that he was in doubt about returning. This was months ago. I don't have the link, in fact, I think I 1st saw it on the O-mane.

Adept Havelock
09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm thrilled that I had the chance to watch Willie Roaf help lead one of the greatest O-Lines I've ever had the pleasure to watch. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say they were nearly as good at "Student Body Right" (or Left) as Lombardi's Packers. Snap the ball, and bodies on the ground everywhere.

I've seen Willie Roaf walk. It's not a pretty sight. I have no trouble believing that it was his plan to come back, but during the run-up to the season he realized the heart was willing, but the flesh was weak.

While it left us in a horrible spot, I can't condemn him. I'm inclined to think the man just wanted to be able to walk when he was 50. So long Willie, and thanks for all the blocks.

TEX
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I think a lot of us were feeling the same way. The worst part is, even if Trent were able to play this week, there is no way the OL could protect him. I have a feeling when he does come back, he is going to get killed again. I could be a VERY long year.

Yep. Which is why I'm in favor of him taking all the time he needs.

Dunit35
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I hope they allow Welbourne to come back. The players are ok with it....everyone knows he's 10 times better then Black. Even if it is for one season it will give us time to look for another replacement before he gets suspended again.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 10:13 PM
The only thing I ever said about Roaf is if you are going to retire or even thinking about it you tell the team before the draft and before FA so they can address it especially when you are important. Doing it when he did it, is basically taking a big shit on the team giving them no chance to replace you.

SLAG
09-11-2006, 10:13 PM
yeah jack harry and co. just stalked willie down at the air port and willie said hes really here to sell his house and say hi to trent and since he is here he wanted to clear things up...

he looked so mad to see the camera crew there

dirk digler
09-11-2006, 10:17 PM
yeah jack harry and co. just stalked willie down at the air port and willie said hes really here to sell his house and say hi to trent and since he is here he wanted to clear things up...

I would be pissed too.

But Willie owes it to the organization and his teammates to say it face to face if he is going to retire or take a year off.

Mecca
09-11-2006, 10:18 PM
If they really wanted to piss him off they could have said "how do you feel about Trent Greens head bouncing off the ground?"

Rausch
09-11-2006, 10:18 PM

A 2006 Roaf could have prevented Green from entering his own private time machine...

58-4ever
09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I would be pissed too.

But Willie owes it to the organization and his teammates to say it face to face if he is going to retire or take a year off.

I agree. But I don't think he'll be just taking the year off. If he doesn't play this year, he's done.

Calcountry
The only thing I ever said about Roaf is if you are going to retire or even thinking about it you tell the team before the draft and before FA so they can address it especially when you are important. Doing it when he did it, is basically taking a big shit on the team giving them no chance to replace you.Maybe he doesn't like Herm?

SLAG
If they really wanted to piss him off they could have said "how do you feel about Allowing Trent Greens head bouncing off the ground? its your Freaking Fault you know"

I fixed it for you.

but really he didnt seem to care about the chiefs

he was like "Yeah.. good luck to the team and whatever but I got my own problems that are more important" or something to that effect

Guru
09-11-2006, 10:20 PM

What the hell did he expect. And right after Trent gets clocked?

What an IDIOT!!!!

Mecca
09-11-2006, 10:20 PM
I fixed it for you.

but really he didnt seem to care about the chiefs

he was like "Yeah.. good luck to the team and whatever but I got my own problems that are more important" or something to that effect

Joe Horn must be calling again....

AZORChiefFan
09-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I really liked Roaf till his turncoat decision this year. I mean talking Shields into coming back for one more year. Then retiring right before TC. Now that's being a man. No wonder your wife looked for some strange with Horn.

scott free
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I could not agree much more on Big Willie , AZCHIEFS. Why make such an impassioned plea to Carl about Will , only to " tweak " a hamstring in mini's , and say , na' just cant go ALL YEAR...? c'mon , whats the real story behind all of the " he's talkin' to no one ". Does he feel slighted in some unknown way ? All the right things were said for his part , but the timing was really , really bad. He must have atleast one more run in him.

alanm
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
My only beef with Roaf is that he waited until the last minute and shafted the team a little that way.

Otherwise, he's been a great Chief, and I wish him a good private life.
I'm not mad at Willie for retiring. I'm mad at him after making it a point of getting so excited early in the offseason after Herm took over by saying he felt great and made it a point of talking Shields out of retiring and only then just before the start of camp bailed on the team. Why not just let the team know in time to get the ball rolling on a decent replacement instead of having to roll with the same old scrubs who by all rights would have a tough time making the roster of a arena team.
It's just the way the whole thing went down that pisses me off.

CoMoChief
09-11-2006, 11:38 PM
It's not fair to say **** Roaf for not coming back. If your body can't do it then you can't do it anymore. Not to mention the guy walks like an 80yr old man.

Having that said it was VERY shitty of him to retire when he did. He should have done it before the draft. We could have drafted Eric Winston or something. His bad timing left us in quite the pickle. To have someone who hasnt played in two seasons come back and try to get used to the other side of the line. Thats like trying to learn everything backwards.

The injury Trent suffered yesterday makes me wonder if he will even be around next season. He knows in the back of his head that his protection sucks now and will continue to take shots. Not to mention that Shields will be gone next season, no way that guy's coming back. He's a family man and probably is thinking about his future. For his sake he needs to retire after this season. Maybe become a QB coach or something. This team will not be in the hunt for a Super Bowl run anytime soon IMO.

Black can NOT continue playing tackle.

Sure-Oz
09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
The way Roaf handled his situation is the biggest thing that pisses me off, not the simple fact he retired.

C-Mac
09-12-2006, 12:29 AM
It is better to have Roaf'd then to have never been Roaf'd at all.

Guru
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
ROFL :rolleyes: :shake:

Mecca
09-12-2006, 12:32 AM

That's what Joe Horn said also.

greg63
09-12-2006, 12:34 AM
That's what Joe Horn said also.

LMAO

Saggysack
09-12-2006, 02:52 AM
What was known before the end of last season...

Dec 28, 2005
Q: How long do you plan to keep playing?

ROAF: When I talked to Mr. (Carl) Peterson and Denny Thum I am on a year-to-year basis and there is a good chance I will be back next year. At this point I will be 36 in April. If I am productive and stay healthy then we will talk about playing another year and then I will go in and see how I feel. I had the hamstring problem earlier in the season and that bothered me the last six or seven weeks. I have played pretty good football and I felt better. We took the pads off so that has helped me at this point. Its kind of hard for me to hit a lot at this point when guys get older in their career its a little tough on their body. If Im managed right I can play another year or two, but like I said I will take it one year at a time.

Carl and Thum knew before the end of last season there may be someone missing from the OL.

Kinda hard to blame Roaf for their lack of prior planning.

Saggysack
09-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Link?

That's easy.

300+lbs + 13yrs in the league is all the linking I need to do.

If you need more than that, you don't need a link, you need a clue.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I'd rather go 0-16 then see that sack of shit again.

MichaelH
09-12-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm thrilled that I had the chance to watch Willie Roaf help lead one of the greatest O-Lines I've ever had the pleasure to watch. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say they were nearly as good at "Student Body Right" (or Left) as Lombardi's Packers. Snap the ball, and bodies on the ground everywhere.

I've seen Willie Roaf walk. It's not a pretty sight. I have no trouble believing that it was his plan to come back, but during the run-up to the season he realized the heart was willing, but the flesh was weak.

While it left us in a horrible spot, I can't condemn him. I'm inclined to think the man just wanted to be able to walk when he was 50. So long Willie, and thanks for all the blocks.
Very well said! :clap:
While I don't want to see Trent get derailed like he did on Sunday, it's very selfish of us fans to be upset with Willie. My Dad played pro ball back in the 60's. By the time I was born, he could barely walk at 35. We never got to play ball together because the act of just standing and throwing was too painful. Before his death he had arthritus in almost every joint imaginable. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy yet alone a great offensive lineman like Willie Roaf. I hope Willie enjoys his retirement and manages to have a quality life.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 04:58 AM

If that's the case, he should have done the press conference then leaving no doubt.

ChiefsFan1965
09-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock

I thought this was really well stated too. Willie was terrific to watch in the games and horrific to see while walking. I saw him at a gym in O.P. several times and got to speak with him and he's a great guy. Also, I thought he said he told Peterson back in May that he might not be able to make it. I honestly think like the post ^^ that the guy loves the game so much but his body has had enough. I'm glad he was a Chief!

CupidStunt
09-12-2006, 05:26 AM
I'd rather go 0-16 then see that sack of shit again.

I'd rather go 0-16 than 8-8 with Roaf, but if he helps us to the playoffs, I'm all for it.

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 05:47 AM
sell his house and say hi to trent

Why didn't he say hi to Trent when Trent tried repeadiatly to call him during training camp? We don't need your attention whoreing press conference now Willie.

Bwana
09-12-2006, 05:47 AM
That's easy.

300+lbs + 13yrs in the league is all the linking I need to do.

If you need more than that, you don't need a link, you need a clue.
I take it you didn't read through the rest of the thread, "sack?"

Bob Dole
09-12-2006, 05:50 AM
What's the point of holding a press conference now?

OldTownChief
09-12-2006, 05:52 AM

Yeah, so mad about cameras that he wants to hold a press conference now, after Trent's injury.

greg63
09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
The way Roaf handled his situation is the biggest thing that pisses me off, not the simple fact he retired.
Ditto.:mad:

It isn't so much that he retired, but when.

morphius
09-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Guess he feels bad for Trent and wants to explain himself. Personally, I don't care what his reasons are as he has already stated that his body wasn't holding up. At this point I have a hard time caring why he did it, I just know that it made my teams life a lot more difficult and that he pissed of Will Shields and wasn't man enough to talk to him face to face or even on the phone.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Great timing. Finally show your face in KC the week after Trent Green gets smashed into bits.

Just go away Willie. I'll accept that your body can no longer handle it. But you didn't handle this retirement like a man. You dodged phone calls and refused to talk to your coaches and teammates. I really don't give a shit about hearing a press conference two days after I witnessed the aftermath of your retirement.

I respect what Willie Roaf did for us when he was here, but he left us in a jam. Now he's just some guy that used to play in the NFL and he's a stranger to me. I don't really give a shit about how hard it is to walk, much like he didn't give a shit that it cost me $79 per ticket to go watch him play. If he wanted to preserve his body, he should have become an accountant and settled for millions less while working twice as many days per year.

burt
09-12-2006, 07:41 AM

I agree...but I agreed with these sentiments when he retired...I see no need to do it again. He was a great player for us....was a joy to watch, but he retired....no new conference needed. and now, back to football.....

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Guess he feels bad for Trent and wants to explain himself. Personally, I don't care what his reasons are as he has already stated that his body wasn't holding up. At this point I have a hard time caring why he did it, I just know that it made my teams life a lot more difficult and that he pissed of Will Shields and wasn't man enough to talk to him face to face or even on the phone.

Yep.

I don't have a problem THAT Willie retired.

I don't even really have a problem with WHEN Willie retired. He tried to go in OTA's and then waited to heal and he just didn't heal.

I DO have a problem with HOW Willie retired.

Bob Dole
09-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Willie who?

Dartgod
09-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Carl and Thum knew before the end of last season there may be someone missing from the OL.

Kinda hard to blame Roaf for their lack of prior planning.Really? When I talked to Mr. (Carl) Peterson and Denny Thum I am on a year-to-year basis and there is a good chance I will be back next year. That's not what I read.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
I wish Roaf the best, but I'll never forget him walking out on the team like he did. He freakin' talked Shields into coming back, then he jets. Wishy washy mother #$E##er.

greg63
09-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Great timing. Finally show your face in KC the week after Trent Green gets smashed into bits.

Just go away Willie. I'll accept that your body can no longer handle it. But you didn't handle this retirement like a man. You dodged phone calls and refused to talk to your coaches and teammates. I really don't give a shit about hearing a press conference two days after I witnessed the aftermath of your retirement.

I respect what Willie Roaf did for us when he was here, but he left us in a jam. Now he's just some guy that used to play in the NFL and he's a stranger to me. I don't really give a shit about how hard it is to walk, much like he didn't give a shit that it cost me $79 per ticket to go watch him play. If he wanted to preserve his body, he should have become an accountant and settled for millions less while working twice as many days per year.
:clap:Yep!

Fried Meat Ball!
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
You would be right.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_4985894,00.html

ct
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Yep.

I don't have a problem THAT Willie retired.

I don't even really have a problem with WHEN Willie retired. He tried to go in OTA's and then waited to heal and he just didn't heal.

I DO have a problem with HOW Willie retired.

Exactly! Tell your team, tell the fans, stand up and let everybody know, they're gonna have to move on w/out you. And when your teammates, your friends call you, answer the damn phone!!

ChiefsKing
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
not to mention he doesn't have any loyalty to KC. He won't talk to any Chiefs players or coaches but does talk to new orleans media and tell them he will go into the hall of fame as a saint. How can he "go into the hall a saint"? He will go in as a football player who will be remembered the same as the many others who spent the end of their brilliant career as a chief. I would have loved for joe montana or marcus allen to have gone into the hall as a chief, they were more fan favorites anyway, but they will be mostly remembered for the teams they played the longest for.

Saggysack
09-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Really?That's not what I read.

So, IYO, saying a good chance of coming back is a guarantee of coming back?