PDA

View Full Version : College hoops: how 'bout them spartans, Iowanian!

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 02:16 AM
Missouri also looked good tonight, against a quality DePaul team, but MSU's manhandling of Florida was impressive.

Can't wait til the hawkeyes come to town!

mlyonsd
12-07-2000, 06:58 AM
MI, Give Alford another year or two....both of your Michigan teams will be fighting for 2nd place for a long time.

(Throwing some BB smack since I have run out of FB smack)

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 07:01 AM
I'll give Alford credit. I think Iowa will be back. However, both Michigan teams have a sizeable recruiting advantage: Detroit.

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 07:19 AM
I watched the 2nd half of a game saturday and the hawks looked decent, but not overpowering...They are very young...but will beat some people they aren't supposed to..

Look out in a year..but we'll see this year..

58Forever
12-07-2000, 07:21 AM
the Big 10 sucks... ;)

Big XII (Big 8) is the only real college Basketball in the country....

I liked what I saw out of the Tigers last night...

Iowaian...why the hell aren't you a Cyclone fan instead of a Hawkey fan...who are the Hawkeyes anyway?....oh that Big 10 thing again...

Big 10, Big XII, At least will have something to give each other **** about during the off season.... :)
------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-07-2000).]

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 07:27 AM
The mighty spartans had little trouble disposing of Kansas & Iowa St., well, a little trouble with Iowa St., on their road to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP last year. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 07:29 AM

i'm not sure why i'm not a cyclone...I think too many of my friends growing up were..(their brothers and sisters were in college at ISU)...then there is that DAN GABLE thing, and chuck long, ronnie harmon..roy marble, bj armstrong thing....

I guess the same reasons i'm a chief fan...I just am.

58Forever
12-07-2000, 07:35 AM
MI, okay, so I tend to forget those bad memories... :o...I thought if anyone could have beaten the Spartans, it would have been the Cyclones...

Iowa, Okay, I'll forgive you...<P>

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 07:49 AM
I have to admit, Fizer was an awesome player for the Cyclones.

Phobia
12-07-2000, 08:14 AM
Greg Stokes, Steve Carfino, BJ, and who was that 7' skinny whiteboy center we had in the mid 80's. He hung around in the NBA for a couple of years but never amounted to much. I can't believe I've forgotten his name....

I'm looking forward to saturday's Ia, Ia State matchup.

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 08:19 AM
kphob,

brad lowhause?(sp) jepsen?
I had forgotten about greg stokes...that was about the time i started watching...after chores, my brother and i would go upstairs crawl under a quilt and watch the hawks on a b/w 19" tv.....damn i thought those guys were cool....

Phobia
12-07-2000, 08:22 AM
Yeah, Brad Lauhause.

58Forever
12-07-2000, 09:41 AM
Iowa and Iowa State play saturday?... :cool:

I haven't seen Iowa State play yet...anyone in the KC area know if it's going to be on TV?....

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Snapper
12-07-2000, 11:41 AM
Hey, what the hey? We ain't gonna have none of this, this is a JAYHAWK BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spott
12-07-2000, 11:48 AM
This thread is just for teams that wear Black & Gold.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Cannibal
12-07-2000, 11:50 AM
Watch out for the Wichita State Shockers of the Missouri Valley!

Just kidding!

But hey, they are 4-1 with victories over two Big 12 teams.

Spott
12-07-2000, 11:53 AM
Didn't they beat OSU last night? That's a pretty big win considering OSU blew out KU twice last year & MU once.

------------------

Cannibal
12-07-2000, 12:02 PM
Yes, I didn't get to see the game though.

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 12:14 PM
The Jhawks suck. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 12:15 PM
MI:

yeah, detroit, whatever...

There was a day when my Hawkeyes had a guy named George Raveling, and Alford is that kind of recruiter.

Raveling recruited 6 guys from Flint while he was here, including one Roy Marble. That team ALMOST beat UNLV, the year they threw the championship game against Duke.

The Hawkeyes have a decent recruiting history in your state, and the day will come when it starts happening again. Enjoy it now while it lasts...

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

58Forever
12-07-2000, 12:19 PM
Iowa, I know a hawk team that sucks but I think they play north of Lawrence.... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 12:21 PM
Just 1 difference Parker: the schools here have been known to win a national title or 2 with the talent they recruit.

Iowa got our Mr. Basketball one year, Kenyon Murray, Battle Creek Central high school. That same year, Michigan's "fab 5" were making their 2nd straight championship game appearance.

Come talk some smack when your better prepared.

Spott
12-07-2000, 12:21 PM
I agree with Iowanians great point in #18.

------------------

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 12:24 PM
Per post #22, you need to change your tagline or put the glue BACK down. Iowanian, you too.

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 12:24 PM
I have to continue I guess, for Iowanian's sake...

Raveling was a recruiter. Marble, Gamble, Wright, Armstrong, and Stokes were some of the best ball players ever at Iowa. But we never had any good teams under Raveling. Everybody wanted to be their own superstar.

Under Dr. Tom, "the coach", we had some really good teams, including a couple of Great 8 squads, but seriously look at the talent. Are Jess Settles and some of those guys really that good? No, not really.

Alford combines the recruiting ability of Raveling with the coaching savvy of Davis. In fact, Alford's probably a better coach, because of his age and relationship with the players.

I'm confident that the Alford years are going to remind us alot of when Lute Olson was here...

------------------
Parker

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 12:26 PM
Too bad the "fab 5" weren't capable of playing team ball...maybe they would have one a couple of championships...

I wasn't talking smack...I was pointing out that, right now, Detroit is advantage Mich/Mich State, but it hasn't always been, nor will it guaranteed be in the future...

------------------
Parker

58Forever
12-07-2000, 12:27 PM
mizzou5, mizzou looked pretty good last night...I'd love to see them go far this year...even though I have to say I am more partial to the team from the west...shall go nameless our of respect for Mizzou's win last night....

58Forever
12-07-2000, 12:29 PM
Fab 5...I seem to remember one of them calling a timeout...ala Gunther Cunningham...at the wrong time...oh, no, rigth time, just no timeouts remaining...

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 12:33 PM
Your right about them not playing team ball, but right now Tom Izzo can get any player in Michigan he wants, and gets a few nationally as well(Zach Randolph, for one).

BTW, what other school has done as well recruiting in Detroit? Certainly not Iowa. The only one close is Mizzou.

Iowa isn't even a blip on the radar screen.......

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 12:39 PM
What in the hell is up with these job things...they think i need to go to meetings and do work and stuff????As long as they don't touch my red stapler...or pile any more boxes... ;)

JC,

I'm not sniffing glue..today i'll blame it on niquill(sp) and working on my house too late at night...

I don't claim to know jack about BB...but I don't mind watching the Hawks...

I will however attend the IA/IA State wrestling meet friday night..if things work out....and in THE GREAT SPORT...The State of Iowa owns you all. :p

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 12-07-2000).]

Spott
12-07-2000, 12:41 PM
DT58,
I'd be happy if Johnson can continue to score inside like he did last night. I'm hoping they can keep it up until Travon Bryant can play later this month. I don't expect them to hit the 3's that well all season, but it looks like they may finally have some people that can score down low. On a side note, I think Stokes should get the Big 12 award for best afro.

------------------

mlyonsd
12-07-2000, 12:50 PM
Detroit-shmoyt.

The best point guard in the nation is from my high school alma mater, Sioux City West. (Iowa)

Kirk Hinrich is his name and he is only going to be a sophomore at Kansas. Everyone will know his name in a year or two.

58Forever
12-07-2000, 12:58 PM
Mizzou, I can see it now...the Big XII awards banquet...and the winner of the best fro is......

Mi_chief_fan
12-07-2000, 01:07 PM
I guess that coaches everywhere will be flocking to Sioux City to get in on the many blue chippers coming out in the next few years. Wasn't Raef Lafrentz the "best player in the country" at one time?

I got an idea: why don't you guys make a list of all Iowans currently in the NBA, and i'll make a list of some Detroiters(i'll not even use Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, etc).

I'll let you guys start. I know you'll need some time to think. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 01:19 PM
'Fro award, LOL. Reminds me of the 2nd funniest thing I ever heard Kenney Mayne say. Sometime last year an NBA player, I think it was Terry Davis, came in sporting a newly rotund 'fro. And Kenny bursts out with 'Buh-ba-ba--bip----ba-ba', the opening scat by little Micheal to "ABC." Snorted up my corn flakes on that one.

Funniest Kenny moment was following the Rams meeting with San Diego, the one where they scored on almost every possession. He showed footage of Warner taking a couple of knees to run out the clock at the end of the game and commented on their "failure to get the running game on track, late in the game. Losing 8 yards on 3 'carries.'"

mlyonsd
12-07-2000, 01:27 PM
Touche MI.<P>

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 01:44 PM
Hey, MI, it's obvious your just trying to get under people's skin, but I think I can one-up you on this one...

You're starting to sound like Ken...got that SpartFan?

We weren't talking about Iowans vs. Detroiters...we were talking about Michigan players going to Iowa. I don't give a **** about LaFrentz, he went the dumbass jayhawks...

:D

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator

[This message has been edited by htismaqe (edited 12-07-2000).]

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 01:48 PM
Dude, I know which player it was...it was quite possibly the funniest thing EVER on Sportscenter.

His name is Keith Closs and he plays for the LA Clippers. The closest thing I've ever seen to a Q-Tip (albeit black). He's 7-3 and weighs 212 pounds. He had a fro that was easily 2 1/2 feet across at it's widest point.

------------------
Parker

58Forever
12-07-2000, 01:52 PM
Htis, watch what you say about Jayhawks or Tigers for that matter...still have some border ruffians down here from the Civil War...I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to being called dumb *** Jayhawkers.... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 01:59 PM
I don't think the fans are dumb...I said "jayhawks" not "jayhawkers"

Sorry guys, I'm sure you like your team as much as I like my Hawkeyes, but my cousin is a bandwagon KU basketball fan and he is quite possibly the most annoying person I've ever met. What's most annoying is that KU is good every year, so there's no chance of him ever getting OFF the bandwagon...

I'm sure you guys know some people like that. You just hate a team because you know someone that's a fan that you just can't stand...

BTW: As if it wasn't enough, he's a Bronco fan too!

------------------
Parker

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 02:03 PM
Its the truth about the boarder ruffians...But it think its the southern boarder you have to worry about...I was on a geology trip near Pottosi(sp)mo, in college...there is a civil war battlefield there....people were still actually talking about the "south rising again" and I saw collection bowls for the confederate army...it was kind of spooky...and I thought people were red in the neck area, where i'm from....

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 02:04 PM
Speaking of funny Sportscenter moments...

Anybody remember the night George Muresan went 0-10 from the field and missed 3 3-footers in a row...Keith Olbermann was funny "George Muresan from 3 feet...ggguuuhhh..."

------------------
Parker

58Forever
12-07-2000, 02:04 PM
Htis, If you only knew why I like the Jayhawks...hell, I'll tell you...

Back in 1979 my girlfriend was from Lawrence...I fell in love with KU because I fell in love with her....been a Jayhawk fan ever since...good or bad...but you are right...it's hard to fall off the bandwagon when the team is good every year...hey wasn't always that way...in the early '80s you could actually get a ticket to Allen Field house just by walking up to the gate at game time....

I think another reason I like the Jayhawks is because they remind me of the Chiefs...good team that seems to always find a way to rip your heart out... :(

------------------
joe

58Forever
12-07-2000, 02:06 PM
****, Iowanian, try talking about Quantrill's (sp) Raiders around Lawrence...you'll still get your assed beat just mentioning the burning of Lawrence...

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 02:09 PM
Its also difficult to fall off the bandwagon of a team coached by the likes of Roy Williams, the class of all coaching. To Mizzou's credit, I think Quin was THE coaching pickup of the late '90's. I look to 5-10 years of rivalry that'll put that whole 'Coach-K - Dean Smith' saga to shame.

58Forever
12-07-2000, 02:14 PM
JC,

if your a fan a B-Ball you have to be a fan of Roy Williams...

What a class act...staying at KU when everyone was sure he was going back to NC...that was the best news I had heard in a long time...too bad there aren't more people with that loyalty...

I'm too am looking forward to the Missou/KU rivalry...I'd love to be in Hearns Center or Allen Field House for one of those gams...might be deaf after words, but it'd be worth it...

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 02:16 PM
To all you Mizzou and KU fans out there:

You guys have good teams and I have news for you: the Cyclones are overrated. They come out of the gate every game slow, unprepared, and without energy. They're only great player is Tinsley, and he's kind of a ballhog at times. Dean Oliver can match up with him pretty decent, and has much more D1 experience. The big ISU white guys are gonna get abused by Reggie Evans and Recker. Iowa is going to expose the #25 Cyclones on Saturday...

------------------
Parker

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 02:17 PM
Hey Michigan! I was just kidding, you can come back now!

------------------
Parker

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 02:31 PM
Htis - Never could get into Olbermann. He always seemed to thik too much of himself. [Except I got an occasional chuckle out of the FFUURRD on hockey goals]. As much as I've like the Daily Show and the Late Show, I almost wish Craiggers/Kilbey was still doing the sports. Who can forget "We ALL love Pooh" during the horrible Clippers highlights?
Did anyone ever see Ray Romano spoof Sportscenter on SNL?

Great Mammy-Jammie!

No! Don't shoot the puck in my pooper!!

htismaqe
12-07-2000, 02:47 PM
CK was GREAT on SportsCenter, but he sucked on the Daily Show. I like Jon Stewart alot better. You know, how about Jon Stewart on Sportscenter? :D

------------------
Parker

Mark M
12-07-2000, 02:49 PM
JC--
"Sweet sassy molassey." I hate Ray's show, but that was a funny skit.

And Stewart blows Kilbourn away. Craig was great on SC, SUCKS BIG A$$ outside of it.

Hey Hawkeye fans: Can I have my coach back? Please? My SMSU Bears suck now.

MM
~~Will have to root for the LadyBears, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-07-2000).]

Baby Lee
12-07-2000, 03:29 PM
Don't diss the pioneer. John Stewart is great, and was the perfect replacement for Kilbey on the TDS. But Kilbey started it. No knock on Stewart, but his genius is in not straying too far from Kilbey's blueprint. Though the true mastermind is probably Liz Winstead.

It just my opinion, but Kilbey is to the last 5 years, what Dave was in his first 5-10. He's mining smarminess as comedy the way Dave did the whole smart-a$$ huckster thing.

Iowanian
12-07-2000, 03:37 PM
good night hawk fans,

peace be with you

Mi_chief_fan
12-08-2000, 05:19 AM
Parker,
I wasn't trying to get under people's skin, just a little big 10-big 12 smack.

You crossed the line with the Packfan reference. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

htismaqe
12-08-2000, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry...

I wonder how many "Big XII rules! Big 10 sucks!" topics we'll see today?

Sorry, jaywalkers...I mean, jayhawkers...

------------------
Parker

Mi_chief_fan
12-08-2000, 02:39 PM
At least YOU'RE in the right conference. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Iowanian
12-13-2000, 10:00 AM
mi,

how about em' #22 7-0 Hawkeyes!!!

Mizzou....saturday...ahhhhyeahhhh

Spott
12-13-2000, 10:02 AM
After Saturday, you can call them the formerly ranked Iowa Hawkeyes. :p

------------------

58Forever
12-13-2000, 10:11 AM
Big XII rules, Big 10 sucks...just for you Htis...

The Jayhawks looked like crap for 30 minutes last night...then they looked like a top ranked team...

Just once, I wish, that they could come out of the gates and play a complete game...they have the talent to go far...

MU will be victorious this week...

MU and KU are the teams to beat in teh Big XII this year...

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-13-2000).]

58Forever
12-13-2000, 10:11 AM
double.

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 12-13-2000).]

Iowanian
12-13-2000, 10:14 AM
mizzou,

maybe this calls for a friendly wager...loser posts thread monday...something like "I'm a sissy girl and like to wear dresses while watching the tigers :p or if need be hawks....

I suppose i'm begging for public humiliation?

Spott
12-13-2000, 10:18 AM
You're on. We may have to keep this post towards the top after the game so the other members of the board don't think that one of us is a pervert or something.

------------------

Iowanian
12-13-2000, 10:25 AM
mizzou...a disclaimer in the message part of the post is acceptable to me...like "per my bet with iowanian about the game..."

I won't be near a computer til' monday and probably won't know the score until then either...

You bigXII guys are like dealing with raider fans....so dilusional..but occasionally have a point I can't argue http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Iowanian
12-14-2000, 07:46 AM
Mi,

Just thought I'd remind you that the Hawkeyes are still 7-0.

after saturday....8-0, right mizzou http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Spott
12-14-2000, 08:26 AM
Not quite Mr "dress wearing sissy girl" big 11 conference Iowa fan. ;)

------------------

htismaqe
12-14-2000, 08:33 AM
One reminder:

Mizzou has yet to play on the road...Carver Hawkeye is LOUD...

Hawkeyes will be (hopefully) 8-0 after Saturday...Mizzou has a very good team, however, their first road test will be a loss...

------------------
Parker

Iowanian
12-14-2000, 08:40 AM
Mizzou,

I'm figuring on watching the game in my ManPants, while sharpening my axe, cleaning my gun, chopping wood, hanging drywall, and anything else completely masculine that I can think of...I'm just hoping your bustle doesn't ride up there pinky :D

actually, I'm going to be killing deer, and won't have time for BB games on the tube...I hit a deer with my truck last friday, so feel a need to spill blood, to prevent future accidents from occuring... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Spott
12-14-2000, 08:47 AM
I'm preparing for a loss this Saturday. I'd be happy if we could win 1 of the next 2 road games agianst Iowa & Indiana before they play Illinois. I'd say Mizzou's best chance of winning is if they shoot the threes like they did against Illinois last year.

------------------

Iowanian
12-14-2000, 03:21 PM
to the top...let no one forget.

all other hawk supporters are welcome to support me in public humiliation if needed..

good luck Mizzou.

Mi_chief_fan
12-14-2000, 05:35 PM
Iowanian,
Read up in the polls, all the way to the top 2. There sits a team that has already dismantled North Carolina and Florida.

BTW, put me down for Mizzou this weekend.

Spott
12-16-2000, 08:27 PM
To the top

------------------

Mi_chief_fan
12-25-2000, 07:31 AM
Look who's #1! Don't worry Hawkeye fans, you'll always be #2 to me. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Iowanian
12-26-2000, 08:30 AM
mmmmmmm medicine,

I'm here to take it, but I'm going to chase it with some cool-aide..

who would have thought that the purple clowns would beat the hawks?

Phobia
12-26-2000, 02:04 PM
That's pretty embarassing. FWIW, I got a couple of pretty cool Hawkeye hats for christmas....

Iowanian
12-26-2000, 02:07 PM
Kphob,

I didn't watch much of that game, but the hawks looked like crap...i think they had their minds on Christmas dinner instead of beating Kstate in front of the JR high game size crowd...

oh well, maybe they'll learn a valuable lesson going into the second half and Big10 stretch..

------------------
"Anyone who wouldn't cheat for a poke, doesn't want one bad enough."[i] Augustus McCray</I>