PDA

View Full Version : Starters we drafted

KC Jones
09-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Some of this talk about Roaf (and how he screwed us) got me to thinking about how much CP has screwed us. I keep wondering how bare the cupboards are. I believe one indication of strength for an NFL management team is the number of starters you drafted versus picking up on the market.

OFFENSE:
Parker
Shields
Black
Gonzalez
Cruz
Johnson

6/11

DEFENSE:
Hali
Allen
Johnson
Mitchell
Wesley

5/11

That's pathetic - we are totally dependent upon free agency to staff our team. It's been this way for far too long.

It might be interesting to compare these numbers to other NFL teams. The world champs (Steelers) for instance, drafted 9/11 starters on offense and 9/11 on defense. I'm sure if you looked at other franchises that have had success lately you would see similar numbers.

Hound333
09-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure we want to take credit for drafting Black.

the Talking Can
09-12-2006, 07:46 AM
if you say we drafted Black again I'll cut you...

NaptownChief
09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
And what is even worse is how little we get out of the first few rounds of the draft where most teams are stocking up on starters, we get garbage like Siavi, Kris Wilson, Ryan Sims, Eddie Freeman, Slime-O, Eric Downing, Snoop Minnis, Julian Battle, William Bartee, Mike Cloud and so on.

On the first day of the draft where most teams load up we tend to draft guys that are not only not starters but most of them aren't even good enough to stay in the league.

LJ, DJ and Mitchell are really the only thing we have gotten out of the first day of the draft in the last 6 years. I planning on Hali earning a spot on that list soon but too early to cast that vote. Other than that they stole an excellent player in the 2nd day in Jared Allen.

But when that is all you are getting out of your first days draft picks in the last 6 years then you are going to be in trouble.

KC Jones
09-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I won't put it all on drafting poorly. I think there's a development aspect of this as well that our staff doesn't handle well. One Arrowhead drive needs to be hosed down to get rid of the self congratulating flatulence Carl has allowed to concentrate since the early 90's. Unfortunately I don't see that happening until Clark Hunt takes the reins.

CupidStunt
09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Croyle, Fox, Page and Pollard will be starting soon.

I hope.

Then, all of a sudden, it doesn't look so bad.

NaptownChief
09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Croyle, Fox, Page and Pollard will be starting soon.

I hope.

Then, all of a sudden, it doesn't look so bad.

Lets hope but Croyle, Page and Pollard are all from this draft in which just happen...We always have high hopes for the recent draft yet to only be let down after they have a couple years to prove themselves. I will agree that Page and Pollard are showing more reason for hope than most have in the past.

morphius
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I won't put it all on drafting poorly. I think there's a development aspect of this as well that our staff doesn't handle well. One Arrowhead drive needs to be hosed down to get rid of the self congratulating flatulence Carl has allowed to concentrate since the early 90's. Unfortunately I don't see that happening until Clark Hunt takes the reins.
The one thing I will remember about the Vermeil era in KC is that I don't remember any player actually improving, and that some of the players actually got worse during his tenure here. That and the one player they had with talent they tried to make ride the bench because they didn't like/want him.