PDA

View Full Version : How do we get back our OL for next year?

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
What can we do so next year is not a bust. Any draft prospects you know look decent? How about free agency next year?

Chief Faithful
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
What can we do so next year is not a bust. Any draft prospects you know look decent? How about free agency next year?

I fully expect Shields to retire so the team needs to use both the draft and FA. I'd like to see the first round go to an OT.

JBucc
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, we're probably gonna need two tackles, a guard and a center. Should be easy. We need a WR too, and probably a veteran QB to backup Croyle. I'm gonna go ahead and call it, we will win the SB next year.

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, we're probably gonna need two tackles, a guard and a center. Should be easy. We need a WR too, and probably a veteran QB to backup Croyle. I'm gonna go ahead and call it, we will win the SB next year.

sounds like we can expect 2-3 years to make this plan happen.

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsOL.html

jspchief
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Even if we could get the talent to fill in, we still wouldn't have the old O-line.

Playing offensive line well relies on chemistry. You can't just throw 5 guys together and expect them to gel.

It's going to be awhile before this line is good again.

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Even if we could get the talent to fill in, we still wouldn't have the old O-line.

Playing offensive line well relies on chemistry. You can't just throw 5 guys together and expect them to gel.

yup

Hoover
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Don't we have a young center we like?

brent102fire
09-12-2006, 10:42 AM

San Diego's O-line gelled pretty damn fast. I think they gelled in TC and really looked pretty good last year...

MichaelH
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
What can we do so next year is not a bust?

Run Carl Peterson out of town.

htismaqe
09-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't know what we need to do.

But I do know we could use 3 or 4 more threads about it.

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM

This is what I'm talking about when I said management was asleep at the wheel. Yes our D needed improving each and every year, but while we were distracted with this we took for granted that our OL would be there for us. Our OL has to be maintained for any club to compete, so each year management should of carefully consider this after each offseason. They didn't.

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
This is what I'm talking about when I said management was asleep at the wheel. Yes our D needed improving each and every year, but while we were distracted with this we took for granted that our OL would be there for us. Our OL has to be maintained for any club to compete, so each year management should of carefully consider this after each offseason. They didn't.

It is impossible to have good contingency plans for backup players when you don't have solid first string players in place.

If Sims, Freeman and Downing worked out there wouldn't have been a need for Siavii and Reed and Dalton and Edwards. Those are picks and money that could have been spent elsewhere like the OL.

If Battle developed there wouldn't have been a need for Walls or Law.

You also don't know if your contingency plan is going to work until the players are put into the game.

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 11:36 AM
It is impossible to have good contingency plans for backup players when you don't have solid first string players in place.

If Sims, Freeman and Downing worked out there wouldn't have been a need for Siavii and Reed and Dalton and Edwards. Those are picks and money that could have been spent elsewhere like the OL.

If Battle developed there wouldn't have been a need for Walls or Law.

You also don't know if your contingency plan is going to work until the players are put into the game.

okay so you are saying it's just bad luck?

Chiefnj
09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
okay so you are saying it's just bad luck?

It's a combination of things. Primarily the problem is not hitting on your 1st day draft picks.

2000 draft - Morris was an injury, Bartee was a bust and Wesley ended up being a good 3rd round pick.

2001 draft - no first and 2nd rounder, two third round picks were busts.

2002 draft - the first three picks were Sims, Freeman and Easy (4th). Nothing more needs to be said.

2003 draft - Johnson and Mitchell. They finally drafted well. Battle in the 3rd busted out.

2004 draft - Siavii, Wilson and Fox. Big time bust.

5 draft classes and only two impact players - Johnson and Mitchell and a good/average player in Wesley.

If Bartee had worked out they might not take Battle.
If Downing worked out they might not take Freeman or Siavii.

That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick that is wasted, plus Sims and Wilson haven't done crap.

You've got a 4th rounder in 2005 not with the team and a 3rd round pick spent on an average punter.

SNR
09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Don't we have a young center we like?Rudy Niswanger is already on the squad as a backup guard, but he's done time at center. I fully expect the team to go to him after Weigman is gone instead of Johnathan Ingram. It's like every year we expect Ingram to blossom into a great center and it never happens.

SNR
09-12-2006, 12:15 PM
It's a combination of things. Primarily the problem is not hitting on your 1st day draft picks.

2000 draft - Morris was an injury, Bartee was a bust and Wesley ended up being a good 3rd round pick.

2002 draft - the first three picks were Sims, Freeman and Easy (4th). Nothing more needs to be said.

2003 draft - Johnson and Mitchell. They finally drafted well. Battle in the 3rd busted out.

5 draft classes and only two impact players - Johnson and Mitchell and a good/average player in Wesley.

That's a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick that is wasted, plus Sims and Wilson haven't done crap.

You've got a 4th rounder in 2005 not with the team and a 3rd round pick spent on an average punter.Colquitt is our best offensive weapon!

chiefsfan1963
09-12-2006, 02:38 PM

You've got a 4th rounder in 2005 not with the team and a 3rd round pick spent on an average punter.

I agree with you on the draft it's pretty convincing, what about free agency. Didn't we let Tait go during this period? Could we have done a little more on bring more talent from proven vets?

Mecca
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with you on the draft it's pretty convincing, what about free agency. Didn't we let Tait go during this period? Could we have done a little more on bring more talent from proven vets?

They didn't make much of an effort to keep Tait so he got signed to that ridiculous deal by the Bears........I think it was because Vermiel didn't exactly like him. Hell he let Freeman bash him in the face with a helmet and did nothing about it.

We need lineman yes, but you can't just say "we have to draft a lineman in the first round". It depends where your picking and whose there.