PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER-Huard glad he has time to prepare for Broncos

C-Mac
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Huard glad he has time to prepare for Broncos
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

A backup since his first NFL season with Miami in 1997, quarterback Damon Huard knows plenty about this way of life.

Attend offensive meetings to study the plays and that week’s opposing defense. Watch the starter at practice.

Repeat weekly — and hope to be ready if needed.

“It’s just the way it is for a backup quarterback,” said Huard, who will make his first NFL start in six years Sunday for the Chiefs in Denver.

“You have to take the (snaps) mentally rather than physically during the week and then go in and play and play well if you’re needed. I’d rather be doing them physically, but there’s not enough time in practice.”

The Chiefs will have plenty of time for Huard this week. Although they haven’t declared starter Trent Green out of the Denver game because of a concussion, the Chiefs are preparing to be without him.

That means getting Huard ready.

Huard replaced Green in the third quarter of Sunday’s 23-10 loss to Cincinnati. He fumbled twice but threw for 140 yards and a touchdown.

In theory, he should be better off against the Broncos. He not only will get almost all the practice snaps this week, but the Chiefs also will base their game plan around his abilities and not necessarily Green’s.

“He’ll be fine because he knows the offense,” coach Herm Edwards said. “This is the same offense we’ve had for the last six years. This offense hasn’t changed a whole lot, though it didn’t look like it (Sunday).”

The problem for Huard isn’t a lack of familiarity with the offense. This is his third season with the Chiefs.

The problem is that until Green’s injury, he hadn’t played in it, or any other offensive system, in a regular-season game since 2000. Six years, in the NFL, is a lifetime. Some of Huard’s younger teammates were in high school when he last started a game.

Huard started five games in 1999 as a fill-in for the injured Dan Marino and one in 2000 for the injured Jay Fiedler. Nothing since.

“The speed of the game is what backup quarterbacks and other players who don’t play a lot have to get used to,” Edwards said. “The quarterback has to feel the speed of the game and the presence in the pocket. That’s something you can’t get in practice.”

Huard last week took a handful of snaps in Friday’s practice with the first-team offense. Otherwise, his practice time was spent watching Green or taking snaps with the scout team that ran Cincinnati’s plays and worked against the Chiefs’ defense.

He will take Green’s role this week, and either Brodie Croyle or Casey Printers will do the scout team’s work.

“Certainly getting the (snaps) in practice and going through the game plan in practice should help,” Huard said. “There’s no question having the work during the week should be advantageous.

“I prepare the same every week. I know the game plan inside and out whether I’m starting or I’m the backup. My preparation will be the same. The only thing different is I’ll get more work in practice.”

The Chiefs are putting on a brave face about heading to Denver, where they haven’t won since 2000, with their backup at quarterback.

“Damon’s got experience,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “He came in and played great. He put the ball where only we could get it. We’re going to rally around him, and we’ll continue to rally around him if he’s out there next week.

“It’s not a panic situation. It can’t be, especially this early in the season. We’ve got a lot of football left. We’ll go out and do some good things. There’s no doubt in my mind.”

At the same time, neither are the Chiefs ignoring the reality they will have a starting quarterback other than Green for the first time since Dec. 24, 2000, in Atlanta.

They lost 29-13 to the Falcons that day when they were quarterbacked by Elvis Grbac.

“It certainly tests your football team,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “Nobody is going to step into Trent Green’s shoes and immediately carry on at that level. We’ll have to do some adjusting, and I know Herm and the offensive coaches are doing that right now.”

Those adjustments will include asking more of others, including Gonzalez, the offensive line and Larry Johnson.

“I’ll just keep plugging away,” Huard said. “I need to protect the ball in the pocket a little better. I’ll just try to move the chains and make first downs and all of that good stuff.”

SNR
09-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Godspeed, Damon Huard

Fish
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
You have to take the (snaps) mentally rather than physically during the week and then go in and play and play well if you’re needed.

Don't worry folks..... he's been mentally taking snaps this whole time... nothin to worry about......

Ohh dear Lord......

C-Mac
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
“I’ll just keep plugging away,” Huard said. “I need to protect the ball in the pocket a little better. I’ll just try to move the chains and make first downs and all of that good stuff.”

Maybe it would have been better stated "I need to protect the ball in the pocket a whole lot better"!

HarryParatestes
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I keep hearing that he's been here so long he knows the system...

So why did he have to refer to the cheat sheet on his left forearm every time a play was called into him?

:( :shrug:

King_Chief_Fan
09-12-2006, 01:30 PM
It only takes 5 days to become a competent QB in the NFL....when facing Denver?

Coogs
09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
If a victory at Denver has slipped from our grasp in the 2nd half Sunday, (and I wasn't real optomistic about this game before the Cincy game), I hope Croyle gets a chance to play.

Anyong Bluth
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
look at it this way... given that we're playing @ Denver and DH is starting- anything he does well can only be a pleasent surprise b/c most people aren't going to go into the game with great expectations of pulling out a W.

If they could pull off a W, that would be AMAZING and could really help the team morale and deflate Denver.

With Plummer, you never know....

Hoover
09-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Play Solid Defense, Run the Ball, Don't get cute in the passign game and we might have a chance.

Mecca
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I keep hearing that he's been here so long he knows the system...

So why did he have to refer to the cheat sheet on his left forearm every time a play was called into him?

:( :shrug:

Green has one of those also now, it makes calling plays easier because they just say a number and he looks at at the number on his wrist and calls the play. They do that instead of rolling out the entire play call over the headset.

Hog Farmer
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Remember. They have Jake Plummer, I'll take Huard over Mr. 26 passer rating any day. I mean come on how ****ing bad can a QB get! 26 passer rating. And we have a much better Defense than the Rams.

Spicy McHaggis
09-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Don't worry folks..... he's been mentally taking snaps this whole time... nothin to worry about......

:doh!: That's kinda like "Don't worry guys, I've been playing a lot of Madden 07 lately. Pretty much the same right?"

Mecca
09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Remember. They have Jake Plummer, I'll take Huard over Mr. 26 passer rating any day. I mean come on how ****ing bad can a QB get! 26 passer rating. And we have a much better Defense than the Rams.

Atleast he's started games........also I wouldn't bet our defense is better than the Rams they looked really good.

picasso
09-12-2006, 03:05 PM
You have to hold onto the ball "Physically instead of Mentally" to keep the offense moving down the field you moron. SO DON"T FRICKIN FUMBLE THE BALL!!! I mean seriously whats worse throwing the pick 30 yards down field or fumbling the ball backwards!!!!!!

InChiefsHell
09-12-2006, 03:15 PM
It only takes 5 days to become a competent QB in the NFL....when facing Denver?

Well, what are they going to say? "Yep, we're pretty much f@#$ed, hopefully Damon won't screw the pooch too much..."

They have to have a positive mindset. Damon gets a chance to live up to the backup role we've heard he is so proficient at. We'll see. If he can take care of the damn ball and just not make a bunch of mistakes, he's a leg up on Plummer...

Inspector
09-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Is anyone taking up a collection for Huards widow?

I think it would be a nice gesture.

Skip Towne
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
We don't have a much better defense than anybody.

Halfcan
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I would rather see Brodie in there.

Psyko Tek
09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
but has he been mentally ducking defensive linemen

Mecca
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I would rather see Brodie in there.

If he plays behind our line, it will basically ruin him for his career. You can't put a rookie QB in there if all that's going to happen is him getting his block knocked off.

boogblaster
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Donks just might think this week they have it in the bag..they will be hard to beat at Donkland who- ever QBs..just hope we pull out the win some way..GO CHIEFS.....

InChiefsHell
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
After a stinging loss on the road, I think the Donks will be up for this game. I think we'll see 9 in the box and they will dare us to throw. I think they will bootleg the piss out of us, and probably go with a no-huddle. We have to hope that Hali has a really big game and can stop the bootleg, forcing them to run between the tackles or to pass. Defensively, we need Hali and Allen to really step up and reek havoc. A push from the DT's would be nice, but I don't really expect that much. The linebackers should be OK against the run.

The problems for the offense will be huge. Besides Dungvers defense, which is probably better then their current ranking, you have Invesco. Thin air and loud as hell. Huard has to take care of the ball, make quick short passes, and give the ball to LJ 25-30 times.

But hell, I don't know. Maybe there is a real problem with the Donks. Maybe they'll turn in another pitiful performance like last week. I just don't seem them rolling over at home. This will be a very tough game for our boys.

Go Chiefs!!