PDA

View Full Version : Gretz, Dawson, and Co. on the coaching situation

htismaqe
12-26-2000, 09:50 AM
I listened to the game on the radio on Sunday and there were some things said that makes one think...

For one, Gunther told them that he had "made up his mind 3 weeks ago" and that there would be major coaching changes next year.

They also said that some leaders needed to step up and that there would be "significant personell" changes. They went so far as to say that CP/Gun would like to get at least one, if not both, of the salaries for Williams and Glock "out from under the cap"...

hmmm....

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

Red and Gold Mania
12-26-2000, 10:17 AM
Let's hope that Stock and Kurt will be calling U-Haul numbers pretty quick...

HC_Chief
12-26-2000, 10:19 AM
...and Gun, and Raye, and McGlockton, and Williams, and Gray, and...

Lightning Rod
12-26-2000, 10:24 AM
To paraphrase Bill Murray, A team without a leader is like a foot without its big toe.
We need a new big toe.<BR>

mlyonsd
12-26-2000, 11:52 AM
We need a whole new leg.

If getting manhandled by the Falcons does not get us a new HC I am just going to scream.

That goes double for the Stooges.

Packfan
12-26-2000, 12:01 PM
I thought the loss to San Diego sealed Gunter's fate. After the way this team played in Atlanta, I am even more convinced. When you lack talent, you have to make it up with smarts, scheme, motivation, and strategy. Gunter provides none of this. Guys jumping off sides, poor clock management again, special team gaffes, ect. His team has made very little improvement since he took over last year.

I think he will be fired. (But what do I know, I thought Carl would be gone by year 10 of his 17 year super bowl plan).

htismaqe
12-26-2000, 12:27 PM
Pack,

Even though I hate to jump on one of your bandwagons by doing so, I'm going to have to disagree.

I think Carl has to go. The reason:

Gunther will be back next year...

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

Mark M
12-26-2000, 02:01 PM
Oh my god. The world is coming to an end . . .

I totally agree with Packfan.

MM
~~Seeking treatment as he types...

TEX
12-26-2000, 02:44 PM
There was a time when I was willing to accept Gunther only IF he FIRED the Stooges. Now, I believe that he is CLEARLY PART OF THE PROBLEM. His whacked method of coaching/motivation is "skitzo" at best and his team has taken on his personality. They say that a team is a reflection of it's head coach and unfortunately this IS true for the Chiefs. That's why Gun and the whole staff must go - I'd also throw in all the ex-Raidas just for grins.

Lightning Rod
12-26-2000, 03:07 PM
Gun has to go and it is his own fault. He has painted himself into a corner. Time after time he has placed the blame PUBLICLY for the poor coaching decisions squarely on the shoulders of his assistants. By doing this he has placed himself in the position of having to fire his assistance should he be retained. That is if they donít quit first. Who in their right mind would work for Cunningham next year? Anything short of a playoff and Gun will be fired. When the head coach goes so do the assistants. Who is going to take a job with that little security?

TheFly
12-26-2000, 03:08 PM
With the 2001 schedule posted on another topic, and if Gun stays, the Chiefs are doomed for another 7-9 or worse year. I, for one, hope Gun is gone before the season starts. I just can't fathom another year of stupid coaching and poor preparation...<BR>

Cormac
12-26-2000, 04:50 PM
Just think about it. If Gun stays:

we'll have to go through another training camp listening to how we have another great FB come HB, and how we are getting off 200+ plays per hour!

we'll have to watch pre-season games for which we are ill-prepared, where the offense will probably suck, and that will be blamed on the new scheme (if Raye is fired)

we'll have to listen to more of those amazingly incomprehensible press conferences all season

we'll have to suffer through another depressing opening game loss because of a lack of game planning and execution

we'll lose 2-3 games due to lack of clock management or due to extra-point/2 point conversion screw-ups

he'll be "looking hard" at the same things every week, and fail to "get to the bottom" of them

But of course, we'll still sweep Denver http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cormac
12-26-2000, 04:51 PM
Just think about it. If Gun stays:

we'll have to go through another training camp listening to how we have another great FB come HB, and how we are getting off 200+ plays per hour!

we'll have to watch pre-season games for which we are ill-prepared, where the offense will probably suck, and that will be blamed on the new scheme (if Raye is fired)

we'll have to listen to more of those amazingly incomprehensible press conferences all season

we'll have to suffer through another depressing opening game loss because of a lack of game planning and execution

we'll lose 2-3 games due to lack of clock management or due to extra-point/2 point conversion screw-ups

he'll be "looking hard" at the same things every week, and fail to "get to the bottom" of them

But of course, we'll still sweep Denver http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

TheFly
12-26-2000, 05:51 PM
Sweeping Denver is a nice consolation prize, but not enough to make me wanna keep Gun!<BR>

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 07:28 AM
Let me first say, I am 'all over' the getting rid of Gunther thing. I agree that when a leader loses respect of the men he leads, even for a moment, he doesn't get it back.
But for solace on face of the possiblility of a Gunther redux [and believe me it pains me to take solace in comparing our crappy situation to another crappy situation], this team looks, talent-wise and emotionally, like the '98 Rams. Games where the O was clicking and the D was a sieve. Games where the D was clicking and the O was inept. Days where nobody showed up, and (rare) days when they looked brilliant.
The day after the end of the season in '98, Vermiel calls a full team meeting. This meeting was BOYCOTTED by key players. tehy wanted to make clear that his 'hard-nosed' approach wasn't playing with them. Practicing too hard kept them hurt. Scattershot motivation kept them emotionally unbalanced. Scattershot schemes kept them confused.
The solace, and the thing we can hope for, is that VERMEIL LISTENED. He eased up on two-a-days. He cleaned up channels of authority on O and D. And the '99 Rams was the result.
This Chiefs team is too talented to waste. I still give Gun credit for wading through the off-season, pre-season, and early season Bull-Hockey to amass a 5-3 record with 2 narrow losses and another winnable game. I totally fault him for not instilling in the team the importance of playing the same way against the 'bad' teams as they did agains the 'quality of the league.
If Gun is to stay, time to sweep out the skybox, Take some long showers to wash of the stench of this season and set about realizing what this talent pool is capable of.