PDA

View Full Version : Antowain Smith wants out

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 07:46 AM
Benched Bills RB, Antowain Smith is pissed about his treatment and wants out. This guy can run. Move on this as soon as is legal CP.

bkkcoh
12-27-2000, 08:05 AM
Here is some information obtained from nfl.com. Here is the link. http://sports.nfl.com/2000/playerhighlights?id=2154

Career Highlights
PERSONAL
Kinesiology major...Nickname is "Pokey"...Born Antowain (pronounced An-twon) Smith on 3/14/72 in Montgomery, Alabama...Resides in Millbrook, Alabama.
Pro Career
Emerging star with an excellent blend of size and speed...Elusive in tight quarters...Patiently waits for blocks to develop...Explosive through the holes and does a fine job of avoiding the low tackles...Recently timed a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash.

Saw action in all 16 games as a rookie and led the team in rushing despite not starting any games...made a successful NFL debut in season opener vs. Min. (8/31); picked up 27 yards on his first career rushing attempt and finished the game with 55 yards on 7 carries...enjoyed his best game of the season vs. Ind. (9/21) when he rushed for his first three career TDs and amassed 129 yards on 12 carries; the effort included a 54-yard scoring run in the 4th quarter and was just the ninth time a Bill ran for 3 TDs in a game...

College Highlights
In 1996 All-American Dream Team choice by The Poor Man's Guide to the NFL Draft...All-conference USA first-team and Offensive Player of the year selection...Led the conference and ranked 18th in the nation and became the first player since Chuck Witherspoon in 1990 (1097 yards) to rush for over 1000 yards in a season as he finished with 202 carries for 1239 yards (6.1 avg) and 14 touchdowns.

I am not sure what it would take to get him, but he doesn't sound too bad if he doesn't have an attitude problem.

------------------
Brian K.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.

[i]Professor Irwin Corey </I>

DaKCMan AP
12-27-2000, 10:04 AM
One of my good friends is a Bills fan, so I've seen a lot of Antowain and he is a big back, strong runner, elusive and quick. However, one weakness that I've come to notice is he fumbles way too often.

TEX
12-27-2000, 10:27 AM
Your right - he FUMBLES way to much. being a University of Houston Alumni, I have season tickets and watched him in college a lot. He has the talent to play in the NFL but he is a "me guy". He put the ball on the groung too much in college also. This guy has a bad attitude. He's happy when things are good, but the second they turn bad - so does his attitude. He was the same way at U of H. I'd pass on him for that reason.

Brock
12-27-2000, 10:36 AM
He demanded a trade midway through the season, so it sounds like Steve knows what he is talking about.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> He has the talent to play in the NFL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many of our 'stable' can you say that about and keep a straight face?
And to be fair, Smith's gripes are at least as credible as Dillon's gripes in Cinci. At least Dillon gets to be 'the man' for a bad team. Smith did some impressive running for them and got benched and replaced with nothing. Kinda like the Greg Hill situation, without a Marcus Allen to excuse it.

mlyonsd
12-27-2000, 11:12 AM
Whether or not he fumbles is a non-issue if the current coaching staff stays.

TRich averaged 9.1 carries per game. If Smith were to average that many carries he would probably only fumble twice a year.

9.1 carries with a 4.7 ave. Pathetic.

DaKCMan AP
12-27-2000, 11:28 AM
lyons...maybe over the whole season, but in the 4 games TRich was named the starter(Colts, Panthers, Broncos, Atlanta) he averaged a little over 15 carries per game. That's still not enough, in my opinion, for a starting RB but it's more than 9 carries per game.

mlyonsd
12-27-2000, 11:31 AM
I understand that but how do you explain only 8 carries the last game?

It wasn't on TV here so I didn't hear if TRich went out hurt. From the box score they were close enough to not get out of any game plan.

If you aren't going to use your best tools you'll end up with $hitty work, IMO.

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 12-27-2000).]

TEX
12-27-2000, 11:40 AM
I'm telling you that Antowain Smith is NOT worth the headaches. He constantly complained in College the second things got a tad tough. A few years back, U of H went to a bowl game and played Syracuse - well Smith said for 2 weeks that the Coogs would win if they just gave him the ball. Kim Helton, then the coach of the University of Houston, did just that. Smith gained well over 100 yards, I believe it was close to 200 but he FUMBLED twice in critical situations and U of H lost the game by 7 points. Afterwards he back stabbed Helton and said that the Cougars "should have passed more". Go figure! He also left School early after holding a press confrence to say that he was STAYING! Kind of hurt U of H's recruiting. Trust me on this one people - the guy is a pathalogical LIER - he's one BAD SEED! We just got rid of his type - we do NIt need anymore.

Clint in Wichita
12-27-2000, 12:00 PM
Smith is a totally average RB, and would be a waste of cap dollars IMO.

Many of you know how much I dislike Cloud.

I would rather see Cloud at HB than Smith.