PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Trent wants to travel to Denver

NewChief
09-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Doesn't exactly sound like the request of a guy positioning himself for retirement.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15503981.htm

Green is released from the hospital
Return date is uncertain, but quarterback requests joining team for the trip to Denver.
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star
Just before he was released from the hospital Tuesday, Trent Green had one request — he wanted to make the trip with his teammates this weekend to Denver.

Green won’t be playing, and it’s not clear yet whether doctors will want him to travel just a few days after he suffered a severe concussion. But if there were doubts that the Chiefs’ veteran quarterback might want to call it quits, at 36 and after taking such a vicious hit, they were answered with his eager questions.

“Oh yeah, Trent still wants to play football,” coach Herm Edwards said. “There’s no doubt about that. If it was up to Trent, knowing the type of guy he is, he’d show up tomorrow and kind of go to meetings and be whispering in my ear and say, ‘Coach, by Friday, I’ll be ready to go.’ ”

Though there have been whispers that Green won’t be back for a month, Chiefs officials say any timetable would be conjecture at this point. Green will benefit from a bye week on Sept. 24, an early open date that was cursed before the injury.

Edwards, who was a couple of minutes late for his weekly news conference Tuesday because he was talking to Green, again said the Chiefs won’t rush him back.

“The game is the game,” Edwards said. “In life, what we do is in the toy department. So we can’t lose sight of that. We’ve got to make sure Trent is OK, that’s the important thing.”

Edwards said doctors probably will conduct more tests on Green. He went 81 straight games without a missed start, then Green scrambled for a first down Sunday and slid past the marker. Cincinnati’s Robert Geathers hit him with his shoulder, causing Green’s head to snap violently against the ground.

Green was unconscious and was strapped to a stretcher after 11 minutes.

With Green out of danger, Edwards could shake his head and crack a joke about his bad luck with quarterbacks. He lost four of them last year in New York, leading to a 4-12 freefall.

“My wife looked at me. She said, ‘Before you married me in that life you were living, you did something bad to somebody,’ ” Edwards said. “And I said, ‘You’re probably right, honey.’

“It’s part of the game, and things happen. They happen for a reason. The way I look at it is it’ll bring us closer together as a football team. It has to.”

I do think it's weird that they say Trent requested to travel to Denver, but there's no attribution of the source. Not disputing it, just saying that it's poor journalism.

StcChief
09-13-2006, 07:44 AM
He want's to spend some time looking for retirement property too.... :p

jspchief
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Trent asked the coach if he could ride along for the free nachos.

MOhillbilly
09-13-2006, 07:54 AM
just another reason for KC fans love trent.

Lzen
09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
:LOL:

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 08:51 AM

I truly hope that any games missed are spent in a luxury booth eating nachos, just for the sake of watching the board work itself into a frenzy again. That would be kick ass.

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Trent's a gamer for sure. I'm really going to hate it when he retires.

milkman
09-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Trent's a gamer for sure. I'm really going to hate it when he retires.

I certainly hope that his class and attitude rubs off on to Brodie Croyle if he is indeed the QBoTF.

Fish
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I have so much respect for Trent Green.....

Just bought my momma an authentic Green jersey for her B-day.....

Cochise
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
But what does his wife say on the phone to the old hens from church?

Demonpenz
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
He wants to travel and watch this team? His injury must be far worse than I thought.

Chieftain58
09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Thats very cool he wants to go with the team, it shows his teammates his true grit.

Sully
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I think back to draft day when he was "dragging his feet" so to speak regarding how much he'd help Croyle out. So now he's out for a few weeks, and it's not inconceivable that Croyle could get in a game (I know, not much if at all). I wonder if his mind has changed now that his team's immediate future could actually be affected?

dtebbe
09-13-2006, 09:52 AM
He wants to travel and watch this team? His injury must be far worse than I thought.

REP! ROFL

DT

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I think back to draft day when he was "dragging his feet" so to speak regarding how much he'd help Croyle out. So now he's out for a few weeks, and it's not inconceivable that Croyle could get in a game (I know, not much if at all). I wonder if his mind has changed now that his team's immediate future could actually be affected?

That whole thing was blown so far out of proportion.... Green will assist both Huard and Croyle in whatever way he can to help the team be successful.

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I do think it's weird that they say Trent requested to travel to Denver, but there's no attribution of the source. Not disputing it, just saying that it's poor journalism.

The source was a sister's friend's cousin who has an uncle that goes to church with Trent Green's wife. ;)

MichaelH
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
When Trent retires as a QB, I want to see him take Peterson's job.

FringeNC
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Actually, Green traveling to Denver is non-trivial. He can be a help to Huard and Solari.

I remember the Inside the NFL recap of games where Todd Collins pointed out something about Miami's safety's play to Trent and Saunders, and on the next series, Trent burned the guy for a touchdown.

jynni
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Can we have Trent call the offense maybe?

milkman
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
When Trent retires as a QB, I want to see him take Peterson's job.

He won't do that.

Randy Cross' job would be fine with me.

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Actually, Green traveling to Denver is non-trivial. He can be a help to Huard and Solari.

I remember the Inside the NFL recap of games where Todd Collins pointed out something about Miami's safety's play to Trent and Saunders, and on the next series, Trent burned the guy for a touchdown.

Even with a concussion, he should be able to help Solari remember that it's 3rd-and-5..........

the Talking Can
09-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Even with a concussion, he should be able to help Solari remember that it's 3rd-and-5..........

bada-bing!

joesomebody
09-13-2006, 12:21 PM
That's Trent for you. I just hate to see the hand written signs that Denver has waiting on him...

Braincase
09-13-2006, 12:43 PM
That's Trent for you. I just hate to see the hand written signs that Denver has waiting on him...

I think at this point there will be more signs for Plummer than for Trent. I don't know a single Bronco fan that would pick Jake over Trent in a crucial moment.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I certainly hope that his class and attitude rubs off on to Brodie Croyle if he is indeed the QBoTF.

Croyle is in the same mold as Trent already. Very classy for a guy his age.

redngold85
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Croyle is in the same mold as Trent already. Very classy for a guy his age.

anyone know where I can find a Croyle jersey?

JBucc
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I hope the plane doesn't crash. That couldn't be good for his concussion.

splatbass
09-13-2006, 12:56 PM

There was an interview during the preseason where Croyle said that Green has been very helpful and has answered every question. Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. We tend to disect every word coming out of players and coaches mouths, and sometimes we take it too seriously.

Sully
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
There was an interview during the preseason where Croyle said that Green has been very helpful and has answered every question. Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. We tend to disect every word coming out of players and coaches mouths, and sometimes we take it too seriously.

I hope you are right.

Frankie
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a strong feeling that Croyle is a replica of Green in those qualities. I think all he needs is bulk and experience. This is the first time in a long time that I feel somehow comfy about the future of our QB position.

Frankie
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
This is worthy of a neg rep. But I won't give you one, dude.

go bowe
09-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I have a strong feeling that Croyle is a replica of Green in those qualities. I think all he needs is bulk and experience. This is the first time in a long time that I feel somehow comfy about the future of our QB position.well, i'm glad that you are feeling somehow comfy...

obviously you're feeling better, and that's great...

when you get your strength back, come and visit the last of the hardcore posters over in d.c.

all of us (mostly) wish you a speedy recovery, bro... :toast:

Frankie
09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
well, i'm glad that you are feeling somehow comfy...

obviously you're feeling better, and that's great...

when you get your strength back, come and visit the last of the hardcore posters over in d.c.

all of us (mostly) wish you a speedy recovery, bro... :toast:
Thanks dude. Yer a good man.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 06:33 PM

Why in THE f#ck would you post this?

Good grief, the stupidity around here the past couple of days is, well, stupid. :shake:

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
This is worthy of a neg rep. But I won't give you one, dude.

I did, and I never hand out neg rep... unless I'm trying to annoy C4M or Slayer.

CHENZ A!
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM

I don't really think that it was, or is Trent's job to teach Croyle even though I'm sure Croyle will learn alot just from being around him. I think it is the rookie's job to learn from the veteran player, and ask questions, and pay attention to how they do things.

runnercyclist
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Trent rocks

Rukdafaidas
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't really think that it was, or is Trent's job to teach Croyle even though I'm sure Croyle will learn alot just from being around him. I think it is the rookie's job to learn from the veteran player, and ask questions, and pay attention to how they do things.
That's what Trent said earlier in the season. He said he's not going to go out of his way to teach Croyle. He then said that he would be more than happy to answer any of Croyle's questions.
There have been many articles since then with quotes from Green and Croyle talking about how much Trent has taught him.

Frankie
09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
That's what Trent said earlier in the season. He said he's not going to go out of his way to teach Croyle. He then said that he would be more than happy to answer any of Croyle's questions.
There have been many articles since then with quotes from Green and Croyle talking about how much Trent has taught him.Actually it was an astute way for a teacher to see if the student wants to learn. If not, the student isn't worthy to be his successor. Sounds like Croyle has passed the test.

ct
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I've been wondering if they would clear him for a flight at all. You know how the pressure changes can create havoc with your ears. I can't imagine how bad his head would hurt dealing with that. Maybe an old-fashioned road trip is in order. Hey Madden, can I hitch a ride?

dj56dt58
09-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I truly hope that any games missed are spent in a luxury booth eating nachos, just for the sake of watching the board work itself into a frenzy again. That would be kick ass.
If he's on the sideline just make sure JB isn't anywhere near him. A defensive end might decide to come nail him again just because its so damn easy

Frankie
09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
A better idea is to seat him in the booth next to Solari. He can help him with play selection. Plus it's on the job training for him being our future OC.
:hmmm: