PDA

View Full Version : My first visit to KC

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Hello All,

Myself (25) and my girlfriend :drool: (21) are going on vacation to KC for the 10/22 game against the Chargers. I have tickets for sec. 128 row 6. We're staying in Westport at the Holiday INN express. We're staying from the 19th until the 23th.

I did alot of research on places but I'd rather have people's opinion that know KC well so that's why I'm asking.

First question, Do I have good seats? I'm not renting a car and I need to find out the easiest way to get to the game coming from Westport. We're trying to find some good nightlife like clubs (r+b and rap type), bars. We're also trying to find some good restaurants (burgers, pizza, fries, some good meat places.) I'm Pennsylvania Dutch so I like my meat and potatoes :thumb:

I have some places I want to see like the Zoo, Country Club Plaza, Crown Center, Contemporary Art Museum. Also I want some pics of the Fountains. Can anybody recommend anything else worthwhile to see or do?

P.S. Where can I go to find some good tailgating when I'm at the game?

Thanks
josh

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2006, 07:32 AM
B5 for tailgating -- right in front of the stadium. Lot A is also pretty good (that's where I usually go).

You'll only be about 8 blocks from the Plaza... there's a lot of good restaurants there. But while you're in KC (from Penn.), you'll need to get some BBQ. Whether you go Gates, Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joes, or Smokestack, you can't really go wrong. My preference would be Gates. There's one at 31st and Main, just a few blocks from your hotel.

Club NV may be somewhere you want to go, but I'm not a club guy so don't take my word on that.

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Bryant's Bar-B-Q is a must. Stay away from that Phobia guy and his tailgate. He works for some fly-by-night outfit and he will try to convert you.

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 07:36 AM
B5 for tailgating -- right in front of the stadium. Lot A is also pretty good (that's where I usually go).

You'll only be about 8 blocks from the Plaza... there's a lot of good restaurants there. But while you're in KC (from Penn.), you'll need to get some BBQ. Whether you go Gates, Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joes, or Smokestack, you can't really go wrong. My preference would be Gates. There's one at 31st and Main, just a few blocks from your hotel.

Club NV may be somewhere you want to go, but I'm not a club guy so don't take my word on that.
Gates? Are you insane? Gates is fast food complete with frozen french fries. The others are acceptable with Bryant's my favorite.

Archie F. Swin
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
I recommend the Nelson Art Museum ( just look for the gianormous shuttlecocks), The Negro Leagues Museum(downtown). There's a buger joint in Crown Center that delivers your food by toy train (at leat there was in 2003).

ahhh crap now I'm hungry

Archie F. Swin
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Kona Grill in the Plaza is pretty damn good

jspchief
09-13-2006, 07:48 AM
That Holiday Inn Express is at one end of the Westport bar area, and within walking distance of plenty of nightlife. I haven't been down there recently enough to still know what clubs are where, but there will be at least a few dance clubs.

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Gates? Are you insane? Gates is fast food complete with frozen french fries. The others are acceptable with Bryant's my favorite.

I agree. Last time I went to the one on 31st the food SUCKED.

Oklahoma Joe's is a must.

Hog Farmer
09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
You should stay at the GREAT WOLF LODGE instead, they have a huge inside water park. That way you can put your girlfriend in a swimsuit, take pictures of her breasts and show them to us.

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
You should stay at the GREAT WOLF LODGE instead, they have a huge inside water park. That way you can put your girlfriend in a swimsuit, take pictures of her breasts and show them to us.
I like the way you think.

hawkchief
09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Stay away from our zoo. It stinks. Seriously, our zoo is not worth spending you time on. Plaza is awesome, eat some BBQ at Jack's Stack. Also, instead of Crown Center, I would go the the new Legends outdoor mall near the Kansas Speedway. Much more fun and far better shopping.

Fish
09-13-2006, 08:06 AM
I recommend the Nelson Art Museum ( just look for the gianormous shuttlecocks), The Negro Leagues Museum(downtown). There's a buger joint in Crown Center that delivers your food by toy train (at leat there was in 2003).

ahhh crap now I'm hungry

uhh huh huh..... you said shuttlecocks....

jspchief
09-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Chiefsplanet is having their bash for that game. I'm guessing the tailgate will be decent.

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Stay away from our zoo. It stinks. Seriously, our zoo is not worth spending you time on. Plaza is awesome, eat some BBQ at Jack's Stack. Also, instead of Crown Center, I would go the the new Legends outdoor mall near the Kansas Speedway. Much more fun and far better shopping.

Zoo is pretty lame... for out-of-towners.

I'll second the trip to Legends. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it. There's tons of stuff out that way. Besides, you'll want to remember how to get there for future trips. Schlitterbahn is building a HUGE park out there! :D

I'd still go to Crown Center... it's a nice shopping area and not nearly as crowded as other places. I take the wife & kids there all the time.

Dartgod
09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
We've been over this before, but I'll say it again.

DO NOT come to B5 expecting to the fulll tailgate experience (food, beer, the works). KC Dan and I tailgate along with some other friends and family. Anyone is welcome to drop by; there are often other Planeteers hanging around (I know Bwana and family will be there for the Chargers game), but it is not an open tailgate for anyone to drop by for some grog and grub.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2006, 08:11 AM
I agree. Last time I went to the one on 31st the food SUCKED.

Oklahoma Joe's is a must.
I haven't been to the one on 31st in ages. The one on The Paseo is just a couple of blocks from my work, so that's where I go usually.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM

DO NOT come to B5 expecting to the fulll tailgate experience (food, beer, the works). KC Dan and I tailgate along with some other friends and family. Anyone is welcome to drop by; there are often other Planeteers hanging around (I know Bwana and family will be there for the Chargers game), but it is not an open tailgate for anyone to drop by for some grog and grub.
I know... but I mentioned it because I thought he was planning to tailgate himself. And there's always a lot of people tailgating in B5.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting he go to a public tailgate. I assume when people talk about wanting to tailgate they want to do it themselves.

:thumb:

Dartgod
09-13-2006, 08:20 AM
I know... but I mentioned it because I thought he was planning to tailgate himself. And there's always a lot of people tailgating in B5.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting he go to a public tailgate. I assume when people talk about wanting to tailgate they want to do it themselves.

Gotcha. If you ever get a chance, drop by there sometime and say hi. We are practically neighbors after all.

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 08:21 AM

Greedy bastards. :p

Dartgod
09-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Greedy bastards. :pRight. Like you'd share your beer with some of the degenerates who post here. :rolleyes:

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Depends on the degenerate.... but good point :D

Demonpenz
09-13-2006, 08:32 AM
On game days I ususally go by these guys at b5 they give away their food and beer. then you can walk around and party all day long. :)

Dartgod
09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
On game days I ususally go by these guys at b5 and rummage through their trash for a few scraps of food.
Fixed it...

Demonpenz
09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Fixed it...

methheads have to eat too :clap:

chiefs1okie
09-13-2006, 09:22 AM

tightwad

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
methheads have to eat too :clap:
Not very often they don't.

jynni
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Worlds of Fun will still be open then and into full Halloween mode.

After dark they fill most of the park with fog and have five different haunted house/areas open as well as most of the rides. It's alot of fun.

gblowfish
09-13-2006, 09:45 AM
George Blowfish's Really Bad Tourist Advice:

Hotel:
The American Inn, I-70 and Noland Rd. Independence, $39 per night, featuring skanky meth-infested hookers who bob on truck drivers for a "rest stop rate." Bring your own Lysol.

BBQ:
McDonalds McRib sammich is tasty...

Entertainment:
Mormon Visitors Center, Independence
Laila's Hair Museum, Independence
Woodlands, KCK (crickets....crickets....)
Union Station, Crown Center (ouch...but true...)

Nightclubbing:
Anywhere on Prospect, or KCK Quindaro district, preferrably around 2AM. Make sure to bring your Glock...

Tailgaiting: On the south side of Arrowhead, there's a big white tent called "The Pavillion." It's full of really fun, hospitable, charitable white people in red coats. I'm sure they'll let you crash and they'll share food and drinks, as much as you want. Be sure to bend an elbow with this dude named Bill Grigsby, but don't get into a drinking contest with him. Amateurs shouldn't challenge professionals.

Good luck :p

Inspector
09-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Seriously, this really is one of the most important parts of your KC experience.

Please use a high quality camera.

Hopefully with a good zoom lens.

You will be rewarded with lots of rep, which we all know is well worth it.

Fish
09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
BBQ: McDonalds McRib sammich is tasty...

I think it's legal to stab someone for calling the McRib BBQ.....

Although I do find them tasty......

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1727/ribwitchqu1.gif

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 09:55 AM

Hotel:
The American Inn, I-70 and Noland Rd. Independence, $39 per night, featuring skanky meth-infested hookers who bob on truck drivers for a "rest stop rate." Bring your own Lysol.

BBQ:

Entertainment:

Nightclubbing:
Anywhere on Prospect, or KCK Quindaro district, preferrably around 2AM. Make sure to bring your Glock...

Tailgaiting: On the south side of Arrowhead, there's a big white tent called "The Pavillion." It's full of really fun, hospitable, charitable white people in red coats. I'm sure they'll let you crash and they'll share food and drinks, as much as you want. Be sure to bend an elbow with this dude named Bill Grigsby, but don't get into a drinking contest with him. Amateurs shouldn't challenge professionals.

I went to the Quindaro district one night and the bartender asked if I had a gun or a knife. I said no. He said "Which one do you want?

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 09:58 AM

I already have pictures of her boobs. :drool:

whoops, shouldn't have said that. Damn 38 d's

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM

ahhh crap now I'm hungry

Thanks, i wanted to check out the museum. I'm always looking for a good burger joint.

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Zoo is pretty lame... for out-of-towners.

I'll second the trip to Legends. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it. There's tons of stuff out that way. Besides, you'll want to remember how to get there for future trips. Schlitterbahn is building a HUGE park out there! :D

I'd still go to Crown Center... it's a nice shopping area and not nearly as crowded as other places. I take the wife & kids there all the time.

Only problem is i don't have a car so unless there's a cab or something that can take us there, it's sorta worthless.

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM

i wish I had the stuff to tailgate myself but I'm looking to join in on tailgating. I'm willing to either buy some beer or give a couple of bucks to whoever let's us stop by

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
On game days I ususally go by these guys at b5 they give away their food and beer. then you can walk around and party all day long. :)

Sweet. If I can get my girl loaded, that's even better......... :drool: :toast:

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Only problem is i don't have a car so unless there's a cab or something that can take us there, it's sorta worthless.

No car? Taking a shuttle to the game? I suggest you rent a car. KC is spread-out. Cabs will be expensive and you'll tire of walking quickly.

bigpimpingchief
09-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Hotel:

BBQ:

Entertainment:

Nightclubbing:

:LOL: Thanks for the update

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
:LOL: Thanks for the update
You might get Mecca to drive you around. Oh wait.......he doesn't have a car.

Dartgod
09-13-2006, 10:44 AM
i wish I had the stuff to tailgate myself but I'm looking to join in on tailgating. I'm willing to either buy some beer or give a couple of bucks to whoever let's us stop by
Your best bet is to watch the Planet Bash and fundraiser thread ( http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147593 ) for updates. They will be hosting a big tailgate for Planet members. There should be a lot of Planeteers there to meet and some good grub as well.

Hog Farmer
09-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I already have pictures of her boobs. :drool:

whoops, shouldn't have said that. Damn 38 d's

Well, ther's only one way around here to get those little green squares!

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 01:36 PM
The only negative about the Plaza and Westport area my favorite part of KC, you are a few blocks away from the worst part of KC. Just be careful.

HC_Chief
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
The only negative about the Plaza and Westport area my favorite part of KC, you are a few blocks away from the worst part of KC. Just be careful.

?!
Quindaro is, by FAR, the "worst part of KC".... it is miles from that area.

BigRedChief
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
You are welcome to come to my tailgate but thats the Planet bash's tailgate weekend. They may get more than 3-4 people to show up that weekend for tailgating. B5 is a private gig. Mine's open to all. It's still BYOB but all are welcome.

dtebbe
09-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Skip and I finally agree on something. Seriouslly the ONLY BBQ to have while you are in KC is Bryants at the orignal Brooklyn location. Everything else is just wanna be.... one tip, make sure you know what you want BEFORE you get to the window....

To get to the stadium take the nearest chiefs express:
http://www.kcata.org/chiefsroutes.html

Best $10 you will spend all weekend, drops you off in front of the stadium and pick you up right outside after the game.

DT

Skip Towne
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Skip and I finally agree on something. Seriouslly the ONLY BBQ to have while you are in KC is Bryants at the orignal Brooklyn location. Everything else is just wanna be.... one tip, make sure you know what you want BEFORE you get to the window....

To get to the stadium take the nearest chiefs express:
http://www.kcata.org/chiefsroutes.html

Best $10 you will spend all weekend, drops you off in front of the stadium and pick you up right outside after the game.

DT
Who are you?

redbrian
09-13-2006, 07:28 PM
For Burgers you want to go to Westport Flea Market Bar and Grill, 817 Westport Rd. #1 Burger in KC

BBQ; Bryantís, Jack Stack or Gates (in that order of preference) all are near where you are staying.

If you want to drop a couple of bucks and have a real good steak the Savoy Grill or the Majestic downtown will not disapoint.

Clubs; you have a wide choice in the Westport and Plaza area.

The Negro League Museum is good.

The Nelson Art Museum

The Kemper Modern Art Museum

The Cross Road District has a lot of good art galleries

Give the Zoo a couple of more years, they have a lot of work they are in the process of doing, same with down town, in a couple of years when the entertainment district is complete that will be the place to go.

The legends donít waste your time or money unless you just like seeing the same stuff you can see at home, also the Great Wolf Lodge is full of bed bugs.