PDA

View Full Version : 'The Wire" gets 5th season from HBO

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Sweet.

For those of you who don't watch or haven't watched it, simply put, it's one of the best shows ever on television. But hardly anybody knows about it. It's critically-acclaimed, but has very low viewership. It's consistent, without the ups and downs of the Sopranos (quality-wise), always gripping, and tackles a shitload of real-life issues in Baltimore, from drugs, to organized crime, to unions, to the police, to politics and on-an-on. Everything about the show is well done, from the writing to the acting to the post-production. Now, it's a little different in that it's kind of like reading a novel, the plotlines run entire seasons rather than single episodes, but if you have the patience, maturity and attention-span for that, it's worth your time.

Season 4 started last Sunday and the first 2 episodes are now on HBO on demand.

Story about the re-up is from Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117949949?categoryid=1417&cs=1&s=h&p=0):HBO's 'Wire' tapped for fifth season

Cabler renews crime drama

By DENISE MARTIN

Final season of 'The Wire' will examine role of the mass media in Baltimore.

HBO has granted a fifth and final season renewal to David Simon's critically hailed crime drama "The Wire."

After receiving universal raves from critics for the just-premiered fourth season, HBO on Tuesday gave the greenlight to another batch of one-hour episodes. Final cycle will examine the role of the mass media in Baltimore.

Renewal arrives on the heels of a lukewarm reception Sunday for the season-four opener. The 10 p.m. episode drew 1.53 million viewers overall -- off from 2005's third-season premiere, which drew 1.8 million. Lead-in, an airing of theatrical "Fantastic Four," attracted 2.9 million at 8 p.m.

Rest of the 13-episode fourth season rolls out Sundays at 10.

Simon and Nina Kostroff Noble executive produce "The Wire."

Immaculate
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Best show on TV.

CHENZ A!
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Any idea when season 2 of Rome, or season 3 of Carnivale start?

chiefsfan1963
09-13-2006, 08:13 PM
it is definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Carnivale is done for good. Rome comes back in March (I think). There won't be a season 3 of Rome, so enjoy it while you can.

TrickyNicky
09-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm still catching up halfway through season 2. I just started last week and have been going at least 2 hours a day.

Miles
09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Great news. I was worried it might have some trouble since it doesn't seem all that popular.

As an aside its pretty damn annoying its still not in HD this season.

Miles
09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm still catching up halfway through season 2. I just started last week and have been going at least 2 hours a day.

Those dock workers can drink.