PDA

View Full Version : GRob

Deberg_1990
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I know...im risking being banned or flamed here...but....

I mentioned this last night in another thread......

I actually feel GRob has been somewhat vindicated the past couple of years. The guy had crap to work with honestly. Warfield and Bartee as his starting CB's???

Im not saying the guy was a defensive genious or anything, but its pretty obvious now, it wasnt all his fault. I wonder how his D would perform with this group of players we have now??

Douche Baggins
09-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I hate to say this...but Greg Robinson was probably a better defensive coordinator than Gunther Cunningham.

Mecca
09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I hate to say this...but Greg Robinson was probably a better defensive coordinator than Gunther Cunningham.

That's not saying much....

KCwolf
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Sometime soon Gunther has to become accountable.....For the last 2 years all the Chiefs brass has tried to do is improve the quality of players on the D.....Currently ranked #5 in the NFL ..... We will see come week #16

SNR
09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
GRob fielded terrible defenses because his schemes required too much out of shitty players.

I predict Gun would have produced better results from 01-03 than GRob, but maybe perhaps, if Robinson had smart fast players like Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson, we'd be in better shape.

I did like what I saw out of the defense Game 1. We'll probably get our butts kicked in Dungver this week and put more doom and gloom on this D.

KCChiefsFan88
09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I know...im risking being banned or flamed here...but....

I mentioned this last night in another thread......

I actually feel GRob has been somewhat vindicated the past couple of years. The guy had crap to work with honestly. Warfield and Bartee as his starting CB's???

Im not saying the guy was a defensive genious or anything, but its pretty obvious now, it wasnt all his fault. I wonder how his D would perform with this group of players we have now??

Agreed. Say what you want about Greg Robinson but he had nowhere near the level of talent Goonther currently has to work with on defense.

Ty Law/Patrick Surtain vs Ray Crockett/Eric Warfield/William BURNTee/Dexter McCleon??

Jared Allen/Tamba Hali vs Eric Hicks/Duane Clemmons/Vonnie Holliday??

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:32 PM
didnt grob pass on palamaluu

ChiefaRoo
09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
I disagree. GRob's schemes were awful and most importantly he lost the confidence of his players. Say what you want about Gunther and his antics but the players back him.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 11:37 PM

We got LJ instead, I wouldnt trade.

greg63
09-13-2006, 11:38 PM
GRob fielded terrible defenses because his schemes required too much out of shitty players.

I predict Gun would have produced better results from 01-03 than GRob, but maybe perhaps, if Robinson had smart fast players like Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson, we'd be in better shape.

I did like what I saw out of the defense Game 1. We'll probably get our butts kicked in Dungver this week and put more doom and gloom on this D.

Yup! Plus, you had to have a 1 trillion GB processor chip implanted into yer brain simply to follow his highly complicated schemes.

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Uh, yeah, for a guy named Larry Johnson. Pitt picked 16th, we had #27, so there's no saying we could have had him.

Guru
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Is GRob still employed? I lost track of him.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Oh my the way, Mr. Robinson is now 1-12 as the head coach of Syracuse.

Guru
09-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Oh my the way, Mr. Robinson is now 1-12 as the head coach of Syracuse.
Never mind. :shake:

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Also Texas won the national championship after he left as well.

Mecca
09-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Uh, yeah, for a guy named Larry Johnson. Pitt picked 16th, we had #27, so there's no saying we could have had him.

Actually that was our pick, we traded down with them and they took Polamalu with our pick.

Psyko Tek
09-13-2006, 11:47 PM
all I want out of a d coordinator is a 3 -4 defense with man coverage

we got the corners
we got the line backers
we got 2 0f the 3 linemen,

let's play some football

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM

I just want to take this time to tell all you guys a story about a girl I dated in college. Here name was Hillary. But I called her "Psycho Hillary" she was more clingy than a horny dog on your leg in April. Plus she cried at the drop of a hat. And whenever we went somewhere overnight (like on a trip, you know, when you can't just up and go back to your place) she would flip out and bring up some really heavy crap like "why can't we move in together" or "why won't you join me in my vegetarian lifestyle" and she'd be so upset she would want to go sleep in the hotel lobby or some crap.

When I broke up with her, she agreed, if I would let her punch me in the face just one time." SERIOUS! Finally, I picked that scab and sent her swirling down the shower drain.
But about two months later I had a wicked crash in a bike race. I thought about hillary. I didn't remember the crying, the questioning, the lobby-sleeping freakouts. So, I called her and asked her to come take care of me, and we got back together. Three weeks later I had finally remembered why Ibroke up with her a year earlier...SHE WAS PSYCHO!!!

I dropped her for good.

The point? Time makes the heart grow fonder. Yeah GRob probably would have had a less embarassing tenure with today's D players, But better than Gun?....Ahhh, you might be right... :banghead: Hmmmm I wonder what Hillary's up to these days...

Mecca
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM

we got the corners
we got the line backers

let's play some football

No we don't..........a 3-4 requires specialized front 7 personel. Allen and Hali are not 3-4 lineman our LB's aside from Bell aren't 3-4 LB's.

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Actually that was our pick, we traded down with them and they took Polamalu with our pick.

Touche.

Man, I'm really trying to think of a funny metaphor for that sitch, but can't.
Damn you, hotel minbar contents!!! :cuss:

Mecca
09-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Touche.

Man, I'm really trying to think of a funny metaphor for that sitch, but can't.
Damn you, hotel minbar contents!!! :cuss:

I don't think the Chiefs have picked the player I wanted in the draft, other than Derrick Johnson in the last 8 years. It's really frustrating especially when they even pick the position and take the wrong guy.

el borracho
09-14-2006, 12:12 AM

we got the corners
we got the line backers

let's play some football
We don't have any of the linemen. Both Allen and Hali would be linebackers in the 3-4 defense.

TinyEvel
09-14-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't think the Chiefs have picked the player I wanted in the draft, other than Derrick Johnson in the last 8 years. It's really frustrating especially when they even pick the position and take the wrong guy.

I don't really watch college, so the draft for me is like opening a white elephant gift. You hope it's what you want or need.

Although, I'm pretty sure over the next couple of years, the draft will eventually become its own "honey, you need to take the kids and go somehwere for the whole day" thing.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 07:28 AM
GRob fielded terrible defenses because his schemes required too much out of [bad] players.

Ding Ding Ding

Droping a 300+ lb DT into pass coverage is genious if you do it once. It's stupid if you do it on every play. I wonder how much crap like that hindered Sims' developement - he was dropped into coverage several times a series under GRob.

Also, while I think Gunther missed on Bell, the other FAs we have brought in have helped out. None of the players GRob brought in helped. And don't forget, he's the reason why the Chiefs sent Donnie Edwards packing. Our most talented D Player at the time and GRob didn't think we needed him.

CupidStunt
09-14-2006, 07:34 AM
No we don't..........a 3-4 requires specialized front 7 personel. Allen and Hali are not 3-4 lineman our LB's aside from Bell aren't 3-4 LB's.

Edwards could play the nose, Reed could play the 3-4 end, Hali and Allen could both transition to 3-4 OLB, Mitchell would make a fine 3-4 ILB, and Bell was at his best in a 3-4.

The only guy who'd seem to have absolutely no place in a 3-4 is Derrick Johnson.

runnercyclist
09-14-2006, 07:35 AM
I'm all for hiring a good, young D Coordinator

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2006, 07:40 AM

:shake:

Brock
09-14-2006, 08:04 AM
G-rob brought you Ray Crockett and Glenn Cadrez.

ChiefsFan4Life
09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Droping a 300+ lb DT into pass coverage is genious if you do it once. It's stupid if you do it on every play. I wonder how much crap like that hindered Sims' developement - he was dropped into coverage several times a series under GRob.

This reminds me of when I was at the Buffalo game on a sunday night when we demolished the bills when Bledsoe was still there. I remember watching the game and G-Rob had Sims drop back into a zone and actually get an interception. At that point in time I thought "oh shit, now he's going to definitely keep doing it"

Basileus777
09-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Bell, Mitchell, and DJ could play ILB, but we don't have any 3-4 OLBers, no NT, and our DEs would suck (Sims and Edwards?). Hali and Allen wouldn't fit anywhere unless they could play OLB, which I doubt they could.

Edwards could play the nose, Reed could play the 3-4 end, Hali and Allen could both transition to 3-4 OLB, Mitchell would make a fine 3-4 ILB, and Bell was at his best in a 3-4.

The only guy who'd seem to have absolutely no place in a 3-4 is Derrick Johnson.

I doubt Edwards could demand double teams every play. Reed is an undersized 1 gap penetrator, he wouldn't play in a 3-4. It isn't that easy to move from DE to OLB, and I don't think either Hali or Allen are athletic enough to do it. DJ could play inside in the 3-4.

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Dungver won a SB or two with Grob and they fired him anyway.

greg63
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM

Yep; the premise was that those SB victories was in spite of Grob's "D" not because of it. :D

Red and Gold Mania
11-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Grob's record at Syracuse in the last two years:

5-17.

What a fraud.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
damnit....i KNEW someone would dig up this thread...

Ill go run and hide now....

Lzen
11-25-2006, 06:21 PM
damnit....i KNEW someone would dig up this thread...

Ill go run and hide now....

Dumb ass. Burn him!!

Frankie
11-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I actually feel GRob has been somewhat vindicated the past couple of years.
BLASPHEMY! :cuss:

Frankie
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

GROB
11-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm still here guys, long time lurker was never able to post. but I'm here, bad season in upstate NY.

Frankie
11-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I just want to take this time to tell all you guys a story about a girl I dated in college. Here name was Hillary. But I called her "Psycho Hillary" she was more clingy than a horny dog on your leg in April. Plus she cried at the drop of a hat. And whenever we went somewhere overnight (like on a trip, you know, when you can't just up and go back to your place) she would flip out and bring up some really heavy crap like "why can't we move in together" or "why won't you join me in my vegetarian lifestyle" and she'd be so upset she would want to go sleep in the hotel lobby or some crap.

When I broke up with her, she agreed, if I would let her punch me in the face just one time." SERIOUS! Finally, I picked that scab and sent her swirling down the shower drain.
But about two months later I had a wicked crash in a bike race. I thought about hillary. I didn't remember the crying, the questioning, the lobby-sleeping freakouts. So, I called her and asked her to come take care of me, and we got back together. Three weeks later I had finally remembered why Ibroke up with her a year earlier...SHE WAS PSYCHO!!!

I dropped her for good.

The point? Time makes the heart grow fonder. Yeah GRob probably would have had a less embarassing tenure with today's D players, But better than Gun?...
Great point. :clap:

Hmmmm I wonder what Hillary's up to these days...
Running for POTUS.

OK, that was a joke. I'm not a HC hater like most of you.

Frankie
11-25-2006, 06:57 PM
True.

GROB
11-25-2006, 06:58 PM

Proof is in the pudding. 2 rings vs 0, bob flip flops more than John Kerry, he was the biggest guy saying all the D needed was Goooooooonther. After a few years the D looks improved.

Frankie
11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I wanted DeMarcus Ware and not DJ. I was bummed when the Cowpokes took him before us. But this year I wanted Hali from day one.

Frankie
11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Ding Ding Ding

Also, while I think Gunther missed on Bell, the other FAs we have brought in have helped out. None of the players GRob brought in helped. And don't forget, he's the reason why the Chiefs sent Donnie Edwards packing. Our most talented D Player at the time and GRob didn't think we needed him.
Rep!

Crush
11-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Um, Denver never had a good defense under Robinson and I remember Shanahan continually bitching at him on the sidelines.

Frankie
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
This reminds me of when I was at the Buffalo game on a sunday night when we demolished the bills when Bledsoe was still there. I remember watching the game and G-Rob had Sims drop back into a zone and actually get an interception. At that point in time I thought "oh shit, now he's going to definitely keep doing it"
Sims > Bartee
:thumb:

Frankie
11-25-2006, 07:11 PM
"with Grob" = "by cheating"

Crush
11-25-2006, 07:20 PM

I think Corey Dillon setting the single game NFL Rushing Record on them and the overall inconsistent defensive play in his tenure had something to do with it.

Dinny Blues
11-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm still here guys, long time lurker was never able to post. but I'm here, bad season in upstate NY.

Hey GROB, do you and Al Saunders send each other Christmas cards and stuff?

Dinny

GROB
11-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I think Corey Dillon setting the single game NFL Rushing Record on them and the overall inconsistent defensive play in his tenure had something to do with it.
Yep lots of turnovers caused followed by big plays, although compare Goooonther's stats with GROB's with Chefs, 03vs04 when they both had same players.

Crush
11-25-2006, 07:30 PM
compare Goooonther's stats with GROB's with Chefs, 03vs04 when they both had same players.

That's not a valid comparison. To accurately compare the two, they would have to face the same exact offenses in the same exact situations. No way. Mr. Robinson, you suck at defense.

Peyton did send you roses, afterwards, right?

Jenson71
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.suathletics.com/Sports/Football/2005/robinsonbio.asp

"His resume includes Super Bowl rings and Bowl-game triumphs. Considered one of the top defensive minds in football..."

Who considers this? LMAO

Crush
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Syracuse is going to regret the day they even heard the name Greg Robinson.

Crush
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
He was offensive coordinator for UCLA in 1989? How the hell does someone go from D-Line coach to Offensive Coordinator?

GROB
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
He was offensive coordinator for UCLA in 1989? How the hell does someone go from D-Line coach to Offensive Coordinator?
Part of DV gay love and loyalty.

boogblaster
11-25-2006, 08:41 PM
GR had a plan, a plan hell-bent to fail..movement D. with people who couldn't think, let alone move fast enough too play it..hes like a engineer I worked for once..on paper it fit..in the field it didn't....

Frankie
11-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey GROB, do you and Al Saunders send each other Christmas cards and stuff?

Dinny
Putting Al Saunders and GRob in the same disparaging sentence is dangerously approaching neg rep land. But you are spared this time.
;)

greg63
11-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Putting Al Saunders and GRob in the same disparaging sentence is dangerously approaching neg rep land. But you are spared this time.
;)

You are far too forgiving. :D

ChiefsCountry
11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
[url]Considered one of the top defensive minds in football..."

Who considers this? LMAO

Dick Vermeil

Halfcan
11-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Yup! Plus, you had to have a 1 trillion GB processor chip implanted into yer brain simply to follow his highly complicated schemes.

and our players only had 1 gig of brain space