PDA

View Full Version : NFL: "Open Season" on QBs?

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:30 PM
You know, on the one hand....it would have been hard to "stop his (Geather's) momentum." On the other, every rule for the last ten years has screamed....."don't lay a finger on the QB." And the rule says, once the QB hook-slides, you don't touch the dude.....but.....

If Geathers isn't fined for what he did against Green last week....am I a bad person for praying for Jared Allen or DJ to flat-out send Plummer (and Cutler) into La-La land this weekend?

FWIW, I'm dead serious. If they are NOT gonna call "foul" on the Geathers-Green hit....I admit, I'm thinking...."fugg it; send that Bronco bastard to the hospital too." :shake:

I'll repent on Sunday....:(

Phobia
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I dunno, it certainly is confusing, isn't it?

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I dunno, it certainly is confusing, isn't it?
What's confusing is the mixed message being sent:

on the one hand, "don't TOUCH the QB" after a hook-slide....on the other, well, if you "can't stop momentum"....well....it's okay. :spock:

Guru
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
But will you say the same thing about Warner/Leinart?

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-13-2006, 10:35 PM
You know as soon as one of our guys tries something he'll be flagged, ejected, fined, suspended and nuthooked.

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 10:35 PM
A bit overboard....While I hate Denver, they had nothing to do with it.....but they could help us out.....

As far as a little karma is concerned, I wouldn't mind Mr Geathers receiving an early Christmas present in the form of a Donkey-trademarked -chop-block at Invesco on Christmas Eve......

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
A bit overboard....While I hate Denver, they had nothing to do with it.....but they could help us out.....

As far as a little karma is concerned, I wouldn't mind Mr Geathers receiving an early Christmas present in the form of a Donkey-trademarked -chop-block at Invesco on Christmas Eve......
:harumph:

Well, YOU obviously aren't a "REAL" fan.....I mean seriously. This is DENVER we are talking about.....I mean, my second favorite team each week? It's whoever is playing DENVER. I'm dead serious. I even cheer for the Faders when they play DENVER.....:cuss:

;)

Guru
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Shanarats' excuse.... "Hey, you let them do it to Trent Green. I'm Mike Shanahan, Lord of all that is football."

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
You know as soon as one of our guys tries something he'll be flagged, ejected, fined, suspended and nuthooked.
Yup. Exactly what I'm thinking. :cuss:

But will you say the same thing about Warner/Leinart?

Not so much, cheering for it. But if it happens....WTF. You know? :shrug:

keg in kc
09-13-2006, 10:41 PM
The funny thing is, if I saw that same hit on an opposing QB by a Chiefs player, I'd not only be okay with a flag being thrown, I'd expect it. You don't hit a sliding QB. Period. Everybody knows that. Flags will (and have) been thrown for players simply bumping into a QB on the ground after a slide. We've all seen it, and we've all said "wtf" when a KC defensive player gets flagged for it. But when Green gets literally f*cking drilled like that...nothing.

And call me paranoid, but I really do think if the situation had been reversed, and it had been a Chiefs player hitting Palmer, it would've been the national story of the week. Instead it's..."ahh, Trent Green's out a little while, it was a legal hit, *yawn*" rather than "OMG Carson Palmer's in the hospital, we need to inquire about a rule change".

SLAG
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

Well, YOU obviously aren't a "REAL" fan.....I mean seriously. This is DENVER we are talking about.....I mean, my second favorite team each week? It's whoever is playing DENVER. I'm dead serious. I even cheer for the Faders when they play DENVER.....:cuss:

;)

I hate Denver With every inch of my heart and soul.

I hope Tamba and DJ both Leagally hit Plummer and make him throw another famous Left handed Interception

Mr. Kotter
The funny thing is, if I saw that same hit on an opposing QB by a Chiefs player, I'd not only be okay with a flag being thrown, I'd expect it. You don't hit a sliding QB. Period. Everybody knows that. Flags will (and have) been thrown for players simply bumping into a QB on the ground after a slide. We've all seen it, and we've all said "wtf" when a KC defensive player gets flagged for it. But when Green gets literally f*cking drilled like that...nothing.

And call me paranoid, but I really do think if the situation had been reversed, and it had been a Chiefs player hitting Palmer, it would've been the national story of the week. Instead it's..."ahh, Trent Green's out a little while, it was a legal hit, *yawn*" rather than "OMG Carson Palmer's in the hospital, we need to inquire about a rule change".

That's EXACTLY why I'm half expecting the NFL to change their mind on this and issue some sort of fine and condemnation. Short of that....I suspect we will see some vicsious hits on QBs this year. And, for the sake of consistency, we SHOULD.....:cuss:

OnTheWarpath58

;)

I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic......

You don't strike me as the type of guy who would be pissed about a cheap shot and then advocate one to a guy on a team who had nothing to do with it, even if they are OUR most hated team. (myself included)

Geathers will get his, sooner or later. Karma's a bitch.....

EDIT: Sorry Kotter...didn't see the winking smilie......

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
First of all, we want Plummer healthy and taking snaps....

Otherwise, go for it.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 10:46 PM

;)

Sick bastard.

Joe Seahawk
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Did you guys see Periera on Total acess tonight explaining why there was no flag? If so what did you think?

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic......

You don't strike me as the type of guy who would be pissed about a cheap shot and then advocate one to a guy on a team who had nothing to do with it, even if they are OUR most hated team. (myself included)

Geathers will get his, sooner or later. Karma's a bitch.....

I'm being somewhat TIC here....but I gotta say, "what's fair is fair."

No, I wouldn't seriously wish this sort of injury and play on ANY QB....not even Plummer. But, DAMN IT....if they are gonna let THIS incident go when it involves OUR guy....FUGG IT....

It's "open-season," baby. And Plummer is in our cross-hairs THIS week! :cuss:

Fish
09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I'd love to see Plummer blowing snot bubbles just as much as the next fella... but I can't honestly wish harm on the guy. Bruises, yes. Next day headache, yes. I'd even say a dislocated toe would pass.... but I can't wish that the guy take a shot like Green did... that's just not right...

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Did you guys see Periera on Total acess tonight explaining why there was no flag? If so what did you think?

Tell us....:hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Sick bastard.
It is the ONLY time I ever cheer for the Black and Silver....but THAT is how much I hate those Orange and Blue bastards! ALMOST as much as Tim (frazod).....:cuss:

SLAG
09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
I'd love to see Plummer blowing snot bubbles just as much as the next fella... but I can't honestly wish harm on the guy. Bruises, yes. Next day headache, yes. I'd even say a dislocated toe would pass.... but I can't wish that the guy take a shot like Green did... that's just not right...

Just remember Plummer will... be plummer.. he will give the game to us we just have to be ready to take it once the door is open-

I think greens shot was brutal but his head on the grass was worse-..

trents a tough dude and i hope he recovers soon and plays for many years to come - I mean didnt aikmen take a few concussions before he won the SB- I hope nothing but good comes out of his concussion.

BTW
If we dont start getting Points off turn overs soon then whats the purpouse of the new dudes on D?

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
It is the ONLY time I ever cheer for the Black and Silver....but THAT is how much I hate those Orange and Blue bastards! ALMOST as much as Tim (frazod).....:cuss:

Ugh. I root for neither. I turn the tv off, kneel by the bed, and pray for a 0-0 tie or a meteor to take out the stadium, whichever comes first.

Guru
09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Ugh. I root for neither. I turn the tv off, kneel by the bed, and pray for a 0-0 tie or a meteor to take out the stadium, whichever comes first.

Cool, I am not the only one then.

Joe Seahawk
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Tell us....:hmmm:

In a nutshell he basically said Gaethers did not have time to avoid the hit due to the timing of the slide by Green. he also noted that Gaethers did not lead with his head.

He compared the film to another similar hit that was flagged, but it was flagged because the defender put his head down and speared the sliding QB in the head.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 10:59 PM

Most certainly not.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Periera is and idiot.

Frazod
09-13-2006, 11:02 PM

Not even close. :grr:

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 11:02 PM
In a nutshell he basically said Gaethers did not have time to avoid the hit due to the timing of the slide by Green. he also noted that Gaethers did not lead with his head.

He compared the film to another similar hit that was flagged, but it was flagged because the defender put his head down and speared the sliding QB in the head.
That may be what they "said," but they are FOS.

I could EASILY think of several clips of similar plays....where the defender didn't have "time" to avoid the hit......AND didn't lead with his head. And there was a flag AND a subsequent fine.....

Mark Collins and James Hasty; Rodney Harrison, Adam Archeleta, John Lynch, and Sean Taylor....to name a few.

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM

So basically, instead of following the rule book he's responsible for, he blames it on the QB.

Weak.

He apparently didn't watch the side view where TG's body is at a 45 degree angle going into his slide at the CIN 47, while Geathers has already lowered his head/shoulder, moving in for the kill at the CIN 42.

5 yards apart is "too late to slide?"

Whenever I think of the league office, I think of those monkeys in the CareerBuilder commericals.......

"I work with a bunch of monkeys....." -Roger Goodell

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM

I could EASILY think of several clips of similar plays....where the defender didn't have "time" to avoid the hit......AND didn't lead with his head. And there was a flag AND a subsequent fine.....

What makes this more suspisious is that that crew was known for throwing Flags like cutting farts.

-hence sammy parkers PI flags-

boycott the crew- where can we find out what officals go to what game?
:hmmm:

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 11:06 PM
What makes this more suspisious is that that crew was known for throwing Flags like cutting farts.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but is it just coincidence that the bogus PI calls and the non-call on TG were all on the same sideline?

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM

I edited the original post....to say:

...Mark Collins and James Hasty; Rodney Harrison, Adam Archeleta, John Lynch, and Sean Taylor....to name a few.

And those are right off the top of my head....:cuss:

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but is it just coincidence that the bogus PI calls and the non-call on TG were all on the same sideline?

Let's be careful, lest we start sounding like raider fans....

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Let's be careful, lest we start sounding like raider fans....

No accusations, just asking a question.....
:p

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-13-2006, 11:10 PM

Mark Collins and James Hasty; Rodney Harrison, Adam Archeleta, John Lynch, and Sean Taylor....to name a few.
That's what really burns me about this, I know I've seen situations where the QB slid late and the defender was still flagged for hitting him.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 11:12 PM
No accusations, just asking a question.....

Heh, I know. It was but a friendly warning of the slippery slope many have started down since Sunday. Thought it was time I finally spoke up about what I've been witnessing.

Logical
09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I dunno, it certainly is confusing, isn't it?Not to me, the Raiders have always been cheap shot artist and I have never wished for a Raider to be hurt. Same applies in this instance, if the rules are inconsistent I understand and don't like it. However I also hate the fact that Kennison was clearly blocking in the back on the same play. The Chiefs cheating and injuring on purpose the opposing team is still wrong. Always will be.

greg63
09-13-2006, 11:16 PM

I hope Tamba and DJ both Leagally hit Plummer and make him throw another famous Left handed Interception

Great avatar dude! :D

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Great avatar dude! :D
i have been saving it for a very long time

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Not to me, the Raiders have always been cheap shot artist and I have never wished for a Raider to be hurt. Same applies in this instance, if the rules are inconsistent I understand and don't like it. However I also hate the fact that Kennison was clearly blocking in the back on the same play. The Chiefs cheating and injuring on purpose the opposing team is still wrong. Always will be.

I'll forgive a block in the back EVERY time....if the intent was to try to spare you QB an viscous hit. :shake:

Fish
09-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Just remember Plummer will... be plummer.. he will give the game to us we just have to be ready to take it once the door is open-

True.... I really think if we can put some pressure on him he'll crack... The dude's a headcase, and Cutler breathing down his neck is bringing out the best in him...

BTW
If we dont start getting Points off turn overs soon then whats the purpouse of the new dudes on D?

But the D is still evolving. The guys have gotten some time playing together, and that builds confidence. Some guys are still in competition to keep a starting spot, and I don't think this is the D we'll see a month from now. I have no doubt they'll keep getting better as the season progresses. Stat wise they did a damn good job against a good offense with Cincy. This will be another great test for them.

I like the Donk week avatar too..... :thumb:

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:30 PM
But the D is still evolving. The guys have gotten some time playing together, and that builds confidence. Some guys are still in competition to keep a starting spot, and I don't think this is the D we'll see a month from now. I have no doubt they'll keep getting better as the season progresses. Stat wise they did a damn good job against a good offense with Cincy. This will be another great test for them.

My statement was more geared toward the offence after the D gave them the ball back - Thats where i want to see the points added

I dont expecet a Pick Six everytime but a fubmle near the goal line is always nice-

I have VERY high Expectations of Ty Law and he made some nice saves in the first game - but a better saftey has to get back there to back him up - Westly is just not cutting it

greg63
09-13-2006, 11:33 PM
i have been saving it for a very long time

...And very appropriate for the occasion sir! :D

beer bacon
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM

Eh, I think the timing excuse is bullshit. We see flags thrown every week for much lesser hits on QBs. The way the NFL works is that once a call is made they just go with whatever justifies the call so they don't have to backtrack.

Fish
09-13-2006, 11:38 PM
- but a better saftey has to get back there to back him up - Westly is just not cutting it

I thought it was a very good sign when they pulled Knight and put Page in against Cincy. I think we'd be a lot better off with the rookies in. They'll screw up a few times, but they'll learn...

I still wanna know how Bell has been almost completely invisible again this season and nobody in the media has said anything about it. I've totally given up on him....

Psyko Tek
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM

love the denver avatar what cha gonna do for the faiders?

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
heh

I guess i better make it good- the expectiations are high

Guru
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
They don't deserve his time after the show they put on Monday night.

NJ Chief Fan
09-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Not so much, cheering for it. But if it happens....WTF. You know? :shrug:

quote of the year
ROFL

headsnap
09-14-2006, 06:59 AM
...but not every cheap shot has a Kennison on the grassy knoll...

old_geezer
09-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Not to me, the Raiders have always been cheap shot artist and I have never wished for a Raider to be hurt. Same applies in this instance, if the rules are inconsistent I understand and don't like it. However I also hate the fact that Kennison was clearly blocking in the back on the same play. The Chiefs cheating and injuring on purpose the opposing team is still wrong. Always will be.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lowering yourself to the perceived level of your opponent hurts only you; not your opponent. Plus, Karma can be a bitch.

Raiderhader
09-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I'll forgive a block in the back EVERY time....if the intent was to try to spare you QB an viscous hit. :shake:

There was no block in the back. Jim is imagining things.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 08:38 AM
There was no block in the back. Jim is imagining things.
Imagining, or hallucinating...ya think? :hmmm:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lowering yourself to the perceived level of your opponent hurts only you; not your opponent. Plus, Karma can be a bitch.

I'm not talking about cheating, or lowering yourself to their level....just asking if giving "Kharma" a bit of a nudge is okay....:)

Raiderhader
09-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Imagining, or hallucinating...ya think? :hmmm:

Either way, he's wrong.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM
i hope the chiefs start taking out QB's all year until the NFL begs for mercy for their sorry ass souls.

fuggin bastards :cuss:

want to hurt the NFL where they live???

..... start putting QB's on the IR and they'll scream like little girls getting their pigtails pulled.

Hound333
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't want anything to happen to Plummer. We need him in there tossing INT's to us. I have a bad feeling that Cutler is going to be very good and that I will hate him with the passion of a John Elway by the end of his career. We need to do everything we can to make sure Plummer stays the QB.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
...I will hate him with the passion of a John Elway by the end of his career...
I don't think that is even POSSIBLE for me. John Elway is the essence of evil--I suspect he is the spawn of satan. Seriously.

Ok, ok....not seriously. But damn close.

Inspector
09-14-2006, 02:04 PM

;)

Wow man, that's really horrible.

I thought I was the only one doing that.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow man, that's really horrible.

I thought I was the only one doing that.

I think raiderhader has already sent my name to the Department of Homeland security over the issue--I'm now being "watched." :(

Raiderhader
09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
I think raiderhader has already sent my name to the Department of Homeland security over the issue--I'm now being "watched." :(

'Round the clock. Phone taps, satellite survailence, agents tailing you wherever you go... and that van that says "plumbing service" on the side that is parked on the other side of the street about two houses down, you can be pretty sure they aren't inside fixing a leaky faucet.