PDA

View Full Version : I actually think we have a chance to win this week, here's why..

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Call me a Homer, but I think we actually have a chance to win this week. Yes, history says the odds are stacked against us and the pundits are calling us a double-digit underdog, but if you look at the game Plummer had last week and the game our D had, if the planets line up in the right order, we could come out on top.

The single most readable tealeaf is Plummer’s post-game quote: (something like) “I bet the whole city is calling for Jay Cutler. I know they have been ever since we drafted him.”
If I were Shanahan, I would’ve taken Jake out to the shed and applied a dozen swift hits with a tree branch. WTF? This tells me (and everyone else) that someplace way back in Jake’s head between the stubble and the mullet there’s a little nugget of self-doubt. He feels underappreciated. And this fissure can open the way for heartless play if we take advantage of it.

If I were Gun, I would put a price on Plummer’s head in the first quarter. I’d offer up spot bonuses to the DT’s and LB’s for a sack/pressure, and huge $$ to the backfield for an INT. If we can throttle Plummer early enough in the game and take away his composure, I think we’ll shut down Plummer, their fans, and have some room to get some points.

The best thing that could happen to us is to have him sacked on a bootleg in the opening drive. Don't laugh. It could happen.

This game is going to be won in the first quarter. If we can get to Jake, i.e. Allen gets a sack or Law gets an interception (I would have said Surtain, but he’s been better at swatting the ball, not grabbing it) and get Jake to start thinking about Shanahan tapping him out rather than scoring, we’ll win.

Plus, (are you sitting down?) I believe Huard can get us to the goal line. Obviously, our O-line needs to do a better job of protecting him. When pressured, he flailed like a meth freak being taken down by the officers on COPS. But when given a second, most of his passes were crisp and on target. MOST of them. And, yes, you can thank Tony G. for a huge chunk of that, but there's hope there. And this was when Huard was suddenly thrown into a (losing) game. Now he’s had a whole week to take snaps, prepare mentally, get in the drills. Let's not forget there's a handfull of other talented guys on this offense who've been doing this together for years.
Best-case scenario, I know, but it’s a scenario nonetheless. On Sunday, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed. And if we’re down 10-0 at the end of 15 minutes. You’ll find me outside cleaning the rain gutters.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I concur. I wouldn't bet a single cent on it, but there is a shot none the less.

milkman
09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Homer.

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
That's not being a homer......pretty true assessment IMO.

Whether ANY of that happens is the question......

Two things I think must happen:

Significantly improved OL play.

Never be down by more than 7 points.

Any Given Sunday........

OnTheWarpath58
09-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Nice timing.....

Milkman....."Homer....."

Me......"That's not being a homer"

Baconeater
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Cleaning the rain gutters? I thought it never rained in southern California.

Raiderhader
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM

The Mammas and The Pappas?

Fish
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I just like to see a little hope lingering around the board again.... I think we've got a reasonable chance... especially if Herm can get the team fired up a little. EK and Dante always play well against Denver, so maybe they'll step up.

Come on Hali, stomp a mudhole in the first bootleg you see.....

stevieray
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM

it storms....but boy don't they warn you

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Aw, man, I just got busted trying to fit in. :)

SLAG
09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Good post - I mean I belive you but I am a Homer (well known fact)-

but.. Shouldnt it belong in the "Boldest Predictions thread?"

stevieray
09-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Sounds like birds will be singng at Pile high again..

KCChiefsFan88
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Play classic Martyball, conservative-mistake free offense, riding LJ for at least 30 carries and get him involved in the screens/short passing game, wait for Fake to throw his usual 2-3 interceptions and win the battle of field position and the Chiefs have a chance

beer bacon
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
The trick to all of it is actually containing Denver's offense. We can talk about getting sacks and stopping the bootleg, but it will be a huge task for our defense to do so. I am going to be optimistic that our defense is up to the task right up to the moment when/if Denver stomps us into the ground. Then I will cry like a girl.

TinyEvel
09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Play classic Martyball, conservative-mistake free offense, riding LJ for at least 30 carries and get him involved in the screens/short passing game, wait for Fake to throw his usual 2-3 interceptions and win the battle of field position and the Chiefs have a chance

Yeha, you might be right. Agree on the short passing with LJ. With the way our O-line played last week combined with their run D, That's probably going to give him the best chance. Plus he's been catching well so far.

dj56dt58
09-14-2006, 12:09 AM
the problem is Jake can throw it right to our defensive players and they'll just drop 99% of them anyways. Why the hell can't we hold on to a damn pick?

TinyEvel
09-14-2006, 12:19 AM
the problem is Jake can throw it right to our defensive players and they'll just drop 99% of them anyways. Why the hell can't we hold on to a damn pick?

You mean it's not just #23?

I saw Kawika do it a couple times, but I like him too much to call him out.

Andoverer
09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Even though it's a long shot to happen, isn't it fun to imagine the meltdown in Donkeytown if Huard pulled it off?

Psyko Tek
09-14-2006, 01:52 AM
denver is always a split,
love to win there but....
what i really wanna see is a bootleg shut the **** down
I wanna see one of our new studs (hali, pollard,page,)
meet jake head on, on one of thopse ****ing bootlegs and put the fear of, are you ready for this,
the KC DEFENSE into him

L.A. Chieffan
09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
id love to see plummer get yanked for throwing an early INT and then cutler get 'GEATHERED' by Pollard (which im sure would draw an immediate 2 game suspension, but it would be worth it) and then have shannhaon be forced to put snake back in just to see his confidence completly destroyed and we easily trample the donkos in front of their shell shocked, orange-wearing, homo fans.
can we make this happen please?

Anyong Bluth
09-14-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm w/ most that assume that we're screwed.

BUT.. I will 1st tip my hat to someone putting out a positive spin on the whole situation, b/c really walking away w/ a loss isn't far fetched or even not to be expected.

That said... I am starting to have that weird Chiefs "big game" feel. You know those huge games in the past where the team rallied and looked like worldbeaters. The personnel may not be there, but I think w/ all that has gone one and so much on the line that there will be a lot of guys looking w/in themselves and knowing they have no room for mistake with Trent gone that they just may come out raging. Not to mention with Green gone, Denver may very well take a much more lacks approach to us showing up than usual...

Basically, we probably end up losing 27-19. Here's to seeing both Cincy and the Donks in the playoffs and kicking both their asses!

CupidStunt
09-14-2006, 05:56 AM
I could see us winning, but it'd take a hell of an improvement over last week's performance.

The big boys inside need to REALLY step up, and if we were able to establish Johnson, there's a chance that we could maintain a lead or stay level if the defense can continue its improvement.

Broncos gain 150 yards on the ground = loss.

Contain them, put some pressure (literally and figureatively) on Jake, and I wouldn't completely doubt our chances.

Lin Elliot
09-14-2006, 06:55 AM
I have a feeling that this will be the second time that Trent Green goes out and his replacement becomes a SuperBowl MVP. First Kurt now Damon....................

Rock on Huard!

58-4ever
09-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Why should we offer spot $$ for guys doing their job? As if the millions of dollars we are already paying them isn't enough.

jidar
09-14-2006, 07:12 AM
It's the NFL. Every team has a chance to win every week. At Denver is the one game where I think Herms marty style is going to help us a lot though. Run the ball, don't turn it over, and take advantage of Plummers usual interceptions.

runnercyclist
09-14-2006, 07:18 AM
We are due to win 1994, 2000 and now 2006 ever 6 years we win at Mile High.

CupidStunt
09-14-2006, 07:24 AM
It's the NFL. Every team has a chance to win every week. At Denver is the one game where I think Herms marty style is going to help us a lot though. Run the ball, don't turn it over, and take advantage of Plummers usual interceptions.

That would be if he actually sticks to it.

Last week, we could've used it, and we didn't.

Reerun_KC
09-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I will listening to the Afternoon Blitz on Sirius and they are predicting the Chiefs to get rolled by 15 - 20 points...

Saying the chiefs will be out coached, no way with our defense we will stop the bootleg.

And with Denver opening up at home, They say the game will be over by half time...

The Rick
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't know whether we'll win or lose, but I'll tell you one thing...I have a feeling this game right here will define the Herman Edwards era in Kansas City. It will be interesting to see how the team responds to everything (losing the home opener, the loss of starting QB, home opener for our arch nemesis, hostile crowd, etc.)

JakeT
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
It's the NFL. Every team has a chance to win every week.
At Denver is the one game where I think Herms marty style is going to help us a lot though. Run the ball, don't turn it over, and take advantage of Plummers usual interceptions.

I'll give you 50% credit on this one. The only way we beat the Donkeys is if we get a sizeable lead early (10-14pts). Jake is only horrible when he feels pressure and the rat lets him abandon the run game. If the donks take a lead or keep it close and keep running we'll lose.

Here's to hope.

htismaqe
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
We're gonna win this weekend.

It's the first step to our 5-11 season.

Remember, you heard it here first!

ct
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Sure it's possible, even if remotely possible. Bottom line though, I'd kinda chalked this up as a road/division loss anyway. Denver is tough to beat at home, and it's gonna take a Plummer meltdown for us to beat em with Huard at the helm. But there is always hope...

Raiderhader
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I have a feeling that this will be the second time that Trent Green goes out and his replacement becomes a SuperBowl MVP. First Kurt now Damon....................

Rock on Huard!

Why is this guy allowed to post here under this username?

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Homer.:rolleyes:

But I like it....heh. :p

skye22f
09-14-2006, 09:19 AM
If you really think this you should get your money in soon, the line is Broncos -10.5 last I checked.

Hell, there's probably some value in that line anyways even though i don't think we're going to beat Denver.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
I think you're on crack.

Here's why...we aren't a good football team, and besides, we never beat Denver in Denver.

BigChiefFan
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I think we have a good shot at winning this weekend. Part of that thinking is we had THREE turnovers last week. It's hard to recover from that. That means we GAVE Cincy 3 opportunities to kill our momentum and gain points against us in the process.

LJ will be pissed. I think he's going to look for people to mow down. I expect him to bounce back in a big way this weekend.

Having Sampson back will be a bigger help than some realize. Sampson has the skills, he just lacks confidence and experience.

The defense is improved. We dominated Cincy last week until the turnovers finally wore out the defense. I don't see the Broncos running-game being great compared to year's past.

Plummer is underrated, but there is no denying he has confidence problems. Knock him down early and often and I can see the boo birds getting to Shanahan's vet QB and crew.

If we play to our strengths we have a good shot at winning.

bogie
09-14-2006, 10:16 AM
This is my kind of thread. Yipeeee! I think the Mods should sticky one Homer thread a week. Then those of us who don't want to read constant gloom and doom, can just read the Homer thread. I want to see the Chiefs play a solid 4 quarters of football on both sides of the ball. If we do that, we can win. If we do that and lose, at least I won't be embarrassed.

bogie
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
If you really think this you should get your money in soon, the line is Broncos -10.5 last I checked.

Hell, there's probably some value in that line anyways even though i don't think we're going to beat Denver.

That's a Homer bet I'm going to make (I'm allowed 1). I'm going to $50.00 on the Chiefs.

MOhillbilly
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
stop the run & win the turnover battle is the only chance KC has.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
stop the run & win the turnover battle is the only chance KC has.

Yup. And only IF we run the ball down THEIR throats.

It's the only recipe, I can see....short of a rash of turnovers by the Donks.

cgchief
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I really hate the Broncos...I hope Larry gets over 200 yards on their defense! I don't care how much negativity is going around about the Chiefs but I still beleive in them! Go Chiefs!!!!!!!

MOhillbilly
09-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Yup. And only IF we run the ball down THEIR throats.

It's the only recipe, I can see....short of a rash of turnovers by the Donks.

put the ball in Jakes hands alone make him force plays is my train of thought.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
put the ball in Jakes hands alone make him force plays is my train of thought.

If the Defensive coaches have been "holding back" something....this would be the week to unveil it--against Jake the Fake...that's for sure.

MOhillbilly
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
If the Defensive coaches have been "holding back" something....this would be the week to unveil it--against Jake the Fake...that's for sure.

2c headed QBs are or should be the reason we have surtain and Law.

bogie
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I really hate the Broncos...I hope Larry gets over 200 yards on their defense! I don't care how much negativity is going around about the Chiefs but I still beleive in them! Go Chiefs!!!!!!!

Let me be the first to welcome your positive attitude to the Planet.

FringeNC
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Denver didn't look like they should be an 11-point favorite over anyone, including us.

cgchief
09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey guys I don't know if you are interested but I am a illustrator and I recently made up prints of my favortie painting that is hanging above my TV. It's a painting of Larry Johnson stiff arming Champ....well prints went on sale last night so here's the link if you are interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280028347523&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Printed on very nice stock it's 18x24 inches litho

man I love the chiefs I hope they destroy the Donkeys this weekend.

CGChief

Wile_E_Coyote
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Broncos opened the 2005 season getting their asses kicked in Miami. Jobs will be challenged

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
2c headed QBs are or should be the reason we have surtain and Law.

You'd think. I'd love to see us go 3-4 against them too....

Except we don't have that stud-NT in the middle to keep 'em from running on us, EVEN IF we are more disciplined against the bootleg. Damn. :shake:

CoMoChief
09-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I've already counted this as a loss in my book. Not that I dont have any faith in the Chiefs but let's face it, we can not win without Trent Green. Huard sucks, it's in DEN for their home opener, and they are going to put 8 in the box all game long to stop LJ and the running game and their going to force Huard to win this game for us. We all saw how our well our offense played against a mediocre defense at home. I can't even tell you what's coming to us against a solid DEN defense. Did I mention that our defense isn't very good??? We are far from the level of play on defense where we can count on them to stop teams to win us games. They are going to bootleg and misdirect the living shit out of us and we will continue to fall for it because our ends never stay at home. I haven't thrown in the towel on this season, but this is just a sad reality that we will not win this game. Thank God we play 2 shitty teams following this game so we can get back to 2-2. Now that I think about it, ARZ isn't that shitty anymore and it's on the road.

Chief Henry
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Thats what we have to do now. I hope Huard has been practising
his "Steve DeBerg" style play action passes.

This sunday our defensive ends have to stay home. But we've been saying this forever when we play Dungver.

MOhillbilly
09-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This sunday our defensive ends have to stay home.

dont confuse hicks w/ hali.

not even in the same universe.

Easy 6
09-14-2006, 11:31 AM
tinyevel , i like the way you think.The part about gettin' to Bummer early to plant the woe is me seed.Spot On.

TinyEvel
09-14-2006, 11:36 PM
I think you're on crack.

Here's why...we aren't a good football team, and besides, we never beat Denver in Denver.

If you're wrong, I'm gonna come back here and call you out.

If you're right, I'm gonna mail you a dollar and a packet of instant Miso soup.

TinyEvel
09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I've already counted this as a loss in my book. Not that I dont have any faith in the Chiefs but let's face it, we can not win without Trent Green. Huard sucks, it's in DEN for their home opener, and they are going to put 8 in the box all game long to stop LJ and the running game and their going to force Huard to win this game for us. We all saw how our well our offense played against a mediocre defense at home. I can't even tell you what's coming to us against a solid DEN defense. Did I mention that our defense isn't very good??? We are far from the level of play on defense where we can count on them to stop teams to win us games. They are going to bootleg and misdirect the living shit out of us and we will continue to fall for it because our ends never stay at home. I haven't thrown in the towel on this season, but this is just a sad reality that we will not win this game. Thank God we play 2 shitty teams following this game so we can get back to 2-2. Now that I think about it, ARZ isn't that shitty anymore and it's on the road.

Oh man, I can smell the pee running down your leg right now. :shake:

kregger
09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I like Herm's chances. His overall regular season road record is 17-23. Throw in Plummer's ability to self-destruct and the Chiefs can win on the back of LJ and a couple of INT's.

RINGLEADER
09-15-2006, 12:44 AM
A few observations/opinions of why it will be more difficult than u think:

1. Coaches can't give the kind of bonuses you recommended,

2. Huard, though not as bad as most seem to suspect, was playing against a Bengals defense protecting a lead,

3. Denver's D is going to bring MUCH more pressure than Cincy did,

4. The Chiefs play like crap in Denver...

5. Denver seems to always have the uncanny ability to do what other teams for some reason don't and double-team Huard's favorite target, Tony G., exposing our wideouts (and conceivably Huard's trouble getting the ball to them).

All that said I don't disagree that a poor start by Plummer could translate into a lack of confidence all the way down and nothing would be more fun than hearing Invesco raining boos down on Jake the Fake...but I doubt they'll make as many mistakes in their home opener as they they did last week against the Lambs...but you're also probably dead-on that the game will be won or lost in the first half. Another big game from Kennison and L.J. could be the difference if we do get in Plummer's head.

All that said I don't disagree that a poor start by Plummer could translate into a lack of confidence all the way down and nothing would be more fun than hearing Invesco raining boos down on Jake the Fake...but I doubt they'll make as many mistakes in their home opener as they they did last week against the Lambs...but you're also probably dead-on that the game will be won or lost in the first half.

TinyEvel
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Alright. The second comment on my spot-bonus line, so I have to answer. I know they can't/shouldn't offer these spiffs for doing a job the players are already getting paid (well) to do. Point is, I would make it abundantly clear that I want them to focus all their power on raping the motherf**ing QB from the get-go. Offer them a gold watch, a McDonald's gift certificate, a BBQ rib, WHATEVER. Just let them know that an April, 1939 style blitzkrieg will set the tone and put us well in motion for the W. (You know, provided the offense can run the ball and Huard doesn't get sacked and keeps from throwing an INT and all that other stuff we need to do to win :banghead: )

jspchief
09-15-2006, 06:29 AM
When's the last time the Chiefs beat a good opponent on the road?

Until I see it happen, I won't believe it's possible.

plbrdude
09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Oh man, I can smell the pee running down your leg right now. :shake:
ROFL ROFL ROFL
lets hope the team isn't carrying that attitude