PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs inquire about Volek

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Sorry if repost.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=52116

VOLEK UPDATE: Billy Volek might want to pay close attention to the plays he has been running on scout team for the Chargers this week.

Sources confirm the Chargers still have interest in obtaining Volek and have inquired about him in a trade. However, the Titans currently are unwilling to part with him. The Kansas City Chiefs have also inquired about Volek. Their starter, Trent Green, is out after a concussion Sunday that landed him in the hospital for two days.

Negotiations could heat up in the next couple of days, though the Titans might wait until after Sunday’s game to pull the trigger on any sort of deal with San Diego.

The Chargers could use a backup to Philip Rivers. They are currently carrying only two quarterbacks with rookie Charlie Whitehurst at No. 2. San Diego also has only 52 players on its roster at present.

Efforts to reach Titans general manager Floyd Reese were unsuccessful Wednesday.

58-4ever
09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I just hope we don't give up too much for a career backup.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I just hope we don't give up too much for a career backup.

Junior Siavii? :shrug:

....of if you insist on someone on the roster, well....Hicks and Black are available, afaik. :hmmm:

chop
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I think you always have to inquire about a player a division rival is trying to acquire in a trade. You may get a deal you can't pass up or you may drive the price up for your rival.

ct
09-14-2006, 10:34 AM
I think you always have to inquire about a player a division rival is trying to acquire in a trade. You may get a deal you can't pass up or you may drive the price up for your rival.

That certainly has always been CP's mantra. I don't see anything more than that in this discussion. I think Trent comes back week4. We go with Huard @Denver, in a game we probably would have come up short anyway.

Woodrow Call
09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
If the Chiefs do make this move I think it signals that Green might not be coming back this year and might hang em up. Volek would then serve as the bridge between Green and Croyle.

Probably just driving up the price on Marty but you never know.

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM
If the Chiefs do make this move I think it signals that Green might not be coming back this year and might hang em up. Volek would then serve as the bridge between Green and Croyle.

Probably just driving up the price on Marty but you never know.

My thoughts exactly.

Arrowhead Pride
09-14-2006, 10:40 AM
This QB situation will either get far worse or Green will come back in a couple of weeks. Carl Peterson said they were not looking for another QB. This may be a sign of worse things to come unfortunately. I hope Trent can bounce back but head injuries are tricky sometimes.

<a href="http://www.arrowheadpride.com">Arrowhead Pride</a>

hawkchief
09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
This QB situation will either get far worse or Green will come back in a couple of weeks. Carl Peterson said they were not looking for another QB. This may be a sign of worse things to come unfortunately. I hope Trent can bounce back but head injuries are tricky sometimes.

<a href="http://www.arrowheadpride.com">Arrowhead Pride</a>

The Chiefs must be looking for a quarterback. Any time Peterson opens up his yap, i assume the opposite of what he says is the truth. He would make a horrible poker player, not to mention GM.

Moo
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Huard will be prepared with the number of snaps he will take with the Starters this week. He is just as good, if not better than Volek. Gochiefs is right, Huard will do fine.

Moo

Hoover
09-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I think Volek is a great option.

Croyle needs time to develope, I think Volek would fit well in KC with or with out Trent Green.

We just need to not over pay. Its clear that Tenn doesn't want him, so don't over pay. Conditional 5th rounder or maybe a player.

Tuckdaddy
09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
This makes me think Trent is finished or at least will definitely not be back next year.

jynni
09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
How many draft picks do we even have left for next year? It seems like we've already traded several of them.

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
This makes me think Trent is finished or at least will definitely not be back next year.
Or, how about Trent will be back in 3 weeks or so....AND we simply need a real backup, and not two THIRD stringers? :(

Chiefnj
09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
How did Volek lose the starting gig to Kerry Collins?

As for the Chiefs being interested in Volek I think that:

1. Volek's agent is trying to get the Chargers to bite and trying to fabricate a bidding war. (85% likelihood).

2. Green is going to be out a significant amount of time. (10% likelihood).

1 +2 being true - 5%.

Reerun_KC
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Honestly I hope Trent Retires. Why come back and ruin your career with this Asshat of a coach? No way.

Stay home, drink wine with Vermiel and talk about the stats you all piled up in KC. Enjoy the good times and forget the dark ages that are upon us fans now.

Carl and Herm are Evil.

morphius
09-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Honestly I hope Trent Retires. Why come back and ruin your career with this Asshat of a coach? No way.

Stay home, drink wine with Vermiel and talk about the stats you all piled up in KC. Enjoy the good times and forget the dark ages that are upon us fans now.

Carl and Herm are Evil.
and this leads me to my next point, don't smoke crack.

Woodrow Call
09-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Carl and Herm are Evil.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM

Carl and Herm are Evil.:shake:

58-4ever
09-14-2006, 11:44 AM

Carl and Herm are Evil.

I think I've seen this dumbass show before.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-14-2006, 11:52 AM
wow

Hydrae
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I think I've seen this dumbass show before.

Yeah, this is just a rerun. :)

Kerberos
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, this is just a rerun. :)

ROFL

:thumb:

I was thinking the same thing!

TRR
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I can't believe more teams in the NFL don't go with just 2 QB's on the active roster. I wonder how many times in the history of the NFL, 2 QB's have went down in the same game? I would rather save the extra spot for a DL, or special teams stud.

Spicy McHaggis
09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Here's what you said.

Carl and Herm are Evil.

Here's what I heard.

I'm a tool.

CHENZ A!
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
How many draft picks do we even have left for next year? It seems like we've already traded several of them.

good question. anyone?

boogblaster
09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Get him if we can..we need a back-up..period....

Rausch
09-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Now Carl, NOW!1!

Rausch
09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Get him if we can..we need a back-up..period....

We need a starter...

siberian khatru
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
The latest:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060915-9999-1s15chnotes.html

Volek update
Maybe Billy Volek should just pack an extra bag.

Sources said the Chargers are offering the Titans a sixth-round pick for Volek, and also indicated that the deal could be done next week.

Volek, in his seventh season, all with Tennessee, has an 86.9 passer rating in 24 games (10 starts). He began training camp as the Titans' No. 1 quarterback but was demoted to No. 3 after the team signed Kerry Collins late last month. The Chargers have rookie quarterback Charlie Whitehurst backing up Philip Rivers.

The Chargers could have competition from within their division for Volek, as the Kansas City Chiefs have inquired about him as insurance after Trent Green was injured in the season opener.

TEX
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
I think Volek is a great option.

Croyle needs time to develope, I think Volek would fit well in KC with or with out Trent Green.

We just need to not over pay. Its clear that Tenn doesn't want him, so don't over pay. Conditional 5th rounder or maybe a player.

Yep.

B_Ambuehl
09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
A 6th round draft pick?! Holy crap. That's a steal and a half. You could spend 5 years drafting quarterbacks with first round picks and not necessarily find one as good.

Predarat
09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Volek is easily worth a sixth rounder.

sedated
09-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Huard will be prepared with the number of snaps he will take with the Starters this week. He is just as good, if not better than Volek. Gochiefs is right, Huard will do fine.

Moo

okay, GC

the Talking Can
09-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Volek is worth a 6th....dang

KC-TBB
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
too much math 4 me...

Woodrow Call
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Looks like Oakland has jumped in to make it a 3 team AFC West pissing contest for Volek.

Raiders | Team interested in Volek
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:00:46 -0700

The Tennessean reports the Oakland Raiders have expressed interest in Tennessee Titans QB Billy Volek.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2006, 02:56 PM
I bet Denver is next.

NaptownChief
09-15-2006, 04:14 PM

That would be my guess....After his father died unexpectingly last year he has probably gained new perspective on life and less likely to push the envelope...Also at this point in his career he has done everything but win a Super Bowl ring and unless a real Super Bowl contender were to lose their QB to season ending injury he knows that nobody is likely to trade for him at this point. He would be foolish to risk further serious injury going through the motions trying to boost Herm Average from a 3 win season to a 6 win season. Not worth it.

redngold85
09-15-2006, 04:19 PM
A 6th round draft pick?! Holy crap. That's a steal and a half. You could spend 5 years drafting quarterbacks with first round picks and not necessarily find one as good.

Volek?...for a 6th round pick?...I'm alright with that :rockon:

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Sign him

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
KFFL: Sep 19 ESPN reports the San Diego Chargers have acquired QB Billy Volek (Titans) in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

ChiTown
09-19-2006, 11:32 AM
KFFL: Sep 19 ESPN reports the San Diego Chargers have acquired QB Billy Volek (Titans) in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

Good.

I had no interest in Volek.

htismaqe
09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Good.

I had no interest in Volek.

Doubly good.

Because it means that, despite what Sandy Eggo wants everyone else to think, they're not settled at the QB position...

JBucc
09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Doubly good.

Because it means that, despite what Sandy Eggo wants everyone else to think, they're not settled at the QB position...Or maybe, unlike the Chiefs, they want to be prepared in case something happens to their starter.

Sure-Oz
09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Doubly good.

Because it means that, despite what Sandy Eggo wants everyone else to think, they're not settled at the QB position...
That and I think they had a rookie backing up Rivers too.

htismaqe
09-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Or maybe, unlike the Chiefs, they want to be prepared in case something happens to their starter.

Actually, acquiring a QB after the 2nd week of the season says they aren't prepared. They're taking steps to rectify that, but being reactive at this point is the antithesis of "prepared".

As for the Chiefs, they were FULLY prepared for Green getting injured. Were they properly prepared? Hindsight says no. But that doesn't mean that they didn't have a plan in place.

Predarat
09-19-2006, 01:34 PM
It would have happened sooner but the Titans didn't want him to fork over his knoledge on their three page playbook. I think everyone has it anyways at least thats how it seems from watching their games.