PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Buying a car for your child

Scaga
09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I knew this day would come...
Our 15, going on 25, year old daughter is going to need a car pretty soon. How the hell does a person go about finding a $2-$3K car that you feel safe putting your child in? Most of the cars out there in that range are at places that scare you just to drive by let alone actually go in a BUY something there?

:banghead:

Brock
09-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Buy from an individual. You can get an older honda for about 2-3k.

MichaelH
09-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe you could do what my Dad did for me. He told me he would buy me a junker and I could fix it up or I could get a job and help make payments on something than didn't burn more oil than gas.

Saulbadguy
09-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Buy the fastest vehicle available.

Hoover
09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
My kids are going to drive pickups.

Reason one: No Back Seat, for doing the nasty or hauling their friends.
Reason two: Dad can haul junk with it whenever he wants
Reason three: They suck down the gas, and I'm not paying for that!

Phobia
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
What you need to do is buy a bigger car than anybody else. May I recommend a big white diesel truck? It will probably cost you more, but it's well worth it.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
If my kids want a car they'd better figure out a way to buy one because I won't be doing it for them.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 11:13 AM
What you need to do is buy a bigger car than anybody else. May I recommend a big white diesel truck? It will probably cost you more, but it's well worth it.
I hear you can just steal trucks. Saves on having to buy one.

DaKCMan AP
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
My kids are going to drive pickups.

Reason one: No Back Seat, for doing the nasty or hauling their friends.
Reason two: Dad can haul junk with it whenever he wants
Reason three: They suck down the gas, and I'm not paying for that!

ROFL

1) Instead of a cramped back seat, throw an air mattress or some blankets in the back and you have yourself a nice-sized bed.
2) Instead of being limited by only able to fit 4-5 friends in the front & back seats, 8-10 can just jump in the bed.

Scaga
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
I hear you can just steal trucks. Saves on having to buy one.

My wife already has a Yukon XL....we bought it from a guy in Mexico. CHEAP!

Thanks anyway.

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Buy the fastest vehicle available.
You'll make a great parent.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Personally...I would not put a 16 year-old behind the wheel of their own car. They are not mature enough to own, take care of, nor properly drive one. I think at the bare min they should be at 18. There are just too many negatives and not enough positive. Sure...you might not have to drive them around, but you expose youreslf to all kinds of liability both mental and financial. Just my opinion.

Iowanian
09-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I recommend a Big car. A big, uncool Car. I'm thinking 79 Thunderbird...Oldsmobile.

She's going to crash it, so put her in something big enough to take the hit.

We were responsible for buying, insuring, gasing, and repairing our own vehicles. I think you take a little better care of things, when your decisions cost you money. It also helps teach responsibility.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
If my kids want a car they'd better figure out a way to buy one because I won't be doing it for them.

I agree completely. I think kids are better off learning to buy their own stuff instead of having their parents give it to them. Over the years I have noticed that kids who get everything given to them are by far less responsible and quick to put their hand out again than those who work for what they get.

Now, buying a clunker and letting them drive it to work is another story. But it wouldn't be thier car, it would be mine and it would be for transportation to work, not partying.

Scaga
09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree completely. I think kids are better off learning to buy their own stuff instead of having their parents give it to them. Over the years I have noticed that kids who get everything given to them are by far less responsible and quick to put their hand out again than those who work for what they get.

Now, buying a clunker and letting them drive it to work is another story. But it wouldn't be thier car, it would be mine and it would be for transportation to work, not partying.

Agreed....I'm going to buy the car and it will be mine. I will allow her to drive it whenever I see fit. It is also the ultimate in punishment....she screws up, she gets to walk.

And yes...it's probably going to be a truck, cause I need one anyway.

DJ's left nut
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
It's cost prohibitive.

When I was 16, my folks got me an okay car. Not a great one by any stretch, but good enought that it never left me stranded.

However, I had to pay the insurance on it. The insurance alone was $170/mo! I had a clean driving record, good student discount, all that crap. Didn't matter.

As a High School kid trying to play football (which i needed the car to get me to) and have any sort of social life (i.e. dating), there is no way I could have afforded the insurance and the car payment.

The bottom line is that asking a kid to earn his keep is more than fair. But you also have to consider the practical realities of it. To afford even a $3,000 car (which really is the minimum for something you can count on) would have required 30hrs or so of work at minimum wage. That's not your job as a HS student. You'll ask your kids to miss out on a lot of what being that age is about.

DaKCMan AP
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Personally...I would not put a 16 year-old behind the wheel of their own car. They are not mature enough to own, take care of, nor properly drive one. I think at the bare min they should be at 18. There are just too many negatives and not enough positive. Sure...you might not have to drive them around, but you expose youreslf to all kinds of liability both mental and financial. Just my opinion.

I disagree. When I was 16 I enrolled in a new high school located on a community college campus. The only bus service would be the city bus which would take a long time and include switching buses, etc. This is when I received my car (the same one I still have). I never got in an accident, never received a ticket and took care of it (oil changes, maintenance, kept it clean and looking good).

To generalize a certain age group saying that they aren't able to properly drive a vehicle, when I see many many many many adults and seniors who drive recklessly and irresponsibly is unfair, IMO.

Dartgod
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Our 15, going on 25, year old daughter...
Pics?

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Agreed....I'm going to buy the car and it will be mine. I will allow her to drive it whenever I see fit. It is also the ultimate in punishment....she screws up, she gets to walk.

And yes...it's probably going to be a truck, cause I need one anyway.
That won't work. She'll get a boyfriend with a Corvette and tell you to eat a dick.

StcChief
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Something you can keep Libility only on. something to learn to drive on.

Plan on them wrecking, if not totalling the car.

If possible 18 with lots of practice with an adult.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
That won't work. She'll get a boyfriend with a Corvette and tell you to eat a dick.
If your kid would do that then it isn't a car they need, it's military school.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I disagree. When I was 16 I enrolled in a new high school located on a community college campus. The only bus service would be the city bus which would take a long time and include switching buses, etc. This is when I received my car (the same one I still have). I never got in an accident, never received a ticket and took care of it (oil changes, maintenance, kept it clean and looking good).

To generalize a certain age group saying that they aren't able to properly drive a vehicle, when I see many many many many adults and seniors who drive recklessly and irresponsibly is unfair, IMO.

You're an exception to the rule....16 year old generally get into more accidents than other age groups. It's a fact of archival data

Scaga
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Something you can keep Libility only on. something to learn to drive on.

Plan on them wrecking, if not totalling the car.

If possible 18 with lots of practice with an adult.

That's why it's going to be a older truck....
(not a big white monster truck however). Something to protect her when that first fender-bender happens....and it WILL happen.

Sometimes circumstances dictate what happens. My wife and I commute to work daily (about 80 miles round tip) and don't have the opportunity to take her to school. In our case, getting another car/truck makes perfect sense. Don't have the finances to do much, but this will help us ALL out. She will become our personal taxi for the other two kids, in time.

Scaga
09-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Personally...I would not put a 16 year-old behind the wheel of their own car. Just my opinion.

And personally....I'd never let her be a Donky fan either. :p
That would be much worse than letting her drive.

NewChief
09-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Get her a crappy old Volvo station wagon.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Get her a crappy old Volvo station wagon.
Yes, by all means. [/all the guys in high school]

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
The bottom line is that asking a kid to earn his keep is more than fair. But you also have to consider the practical realities of it. To afford even a $3,000 car (which really is the minimum for something you can count on) would have required 30hrs or so of work at minimum wage. That's not your job as a HS student. You'll ask your kids to miss out on a lot of what being that age is about.

It's also something they can save for and pay cash for. My daughter wanted an iPod this summer (She's 14). She went to work babysitting and had money for the ipod, accessories, and music in less than a month ($300-$400 in all). I know kids that will work full time in the summer, save the money and take care of auto expenses through the school year.

Also, even with sports, 10-15 hours a week of working is doable if the employer will work around the school sched. If the kid is a good worker and dependable, most will. At 10-15 hours a week, that is still $300-$400 a month which should take care of the expenses associated with a car and have $ to go out on.

Not discounting you on the insurance bit, but insurance must have really gone up since I was a kid. 20 years ago I was paying $120 a month AFTER I had my licesne supsended 30 days for points accumilation.

A tale of 2 kids....

I know a family right now who has a kid in his 4th year of college and he's been given everything. He's living in an off-campus apartment, driving a new 2006 SUV. They replaced another NEW car with it this last spring because after driving the new car for a year, he was tired of it. At least once a year he takes a trip to someplace, a cruise, cancoon, he's even been to Hawaii. He isn't appreciative of what they do, he expects it. He doesn't say thanks, but he does throw a tantrum if they don't. As a Sr in college, he should be much more responsible than what he is. I seriously doubt he will be able to get a job out of college that will enable him to live at the lifestyle level he's accustomed to now.

In our first church, we had a family of farmers. Dirt poor farmers. Mom's prayer was that they wouldn't lose the farm while the kids were at home. The dad knew he couldn't give his kids $. So, he helped each of them get a start in livestock. His son at 13-14 got started in hogs. He worked and worked and worked at it. When he turned 16 he paid cash for a new toyota pickup all on his own. When he graduated he went into construction and with the work ethic he had developed having to make his own money, he was an excellent hand. From the time he was 18-22 he had bought a new Ford pickup, gotten married, and paid cash for 80 acres of land and a mobil home. Oddly, when he was 25 he wanted to buy a new Dodge truck, and do it with a load to establish credit and though he had the cash in the bank to buy the truck outright, he had a hard time getting the load because he had paid cash for everything up until then and hadn't established any credit. Now he runs his own security systems business. Oh yes, he found time to participate in sports through HS too.

My point is, if you give and give and give to your kids, I think you are actually hurting them in the long-run. Let them learn to earn their own way and they will be far better off for the rest of their lives. And sure, not every kid will be like these two. But over the course of 15 years now watching kids go to church, I can tell you that there are many that are similar.

Iowanian
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Trucks are more dangerous in roll over accidents.

Beat into her the importance of wearing a seatbelt and by all means, please beat her if you catch her driving and talking on a cell phone.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 12:29 PM
One cool thing you can do with a truck in the summer is to line the bed with plastic, fill it up with water, then whenever you are in the parking lot on a hot muggy summer night visiting with your friends, you can go swimming. True story, had a guy in my HS that did that.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
One cool thing you can do with a truck in the summer is to line the bed with plastic, fill it up with water, then whenever you are in the parking lot on a hot muggy summer night visiting with your friends, you can go swimming. True story, had a guy in my HS that did that.
Plastic had already been invented?

jidar
09-14-2006, 12:33 PM
A tale of 2 kids....

I know a family right now who has a kid in his 4th year of college and he's been given everything. He's living in an off-campus apartment, driving a new 2006 SUV. They replaced another NEW car with it this last spring because after driving the new car for a year, he was tired of it. At least once a year he takes a trip to someplace, a cruise, cancoon, he's even been to Hawaii. He isn't appreciative of what they do, he expects it. He doesn't say thanks, but he does throw a tantrum if they don't. As a Sr in college, he should be much more responsible than what he is. I seriously doubt he will be able to get a job out of college that will enable him to live at the lifestyle level he's accustomed to now.

In our first church, we had a family of farmers. Dirt poor farmers. Mom's prayer was that they wouldn't lose the farm while the kids were at home. The dad knew he couldn't give his kids $. So, he helped each of them get a start in livestock. His son at 13-14 got started in hogs. He worked and worked and worked at it. When he turned 16 he paid cash for a new toyota pickup all on his own. When he graduated he went into construction and with the work ethic he had developed having to make his own money, he was an excellent hand. From the time he was 18-22 he had bought a new Ford pickup, gotten married, and paid cash for 80 acres of land and a mobil home. Oddly, when he was 25 he wanted to buy a new Dodge truck, and do it with a load to establish credit and though he had the cash in the bank to buy the truck outright, he had a hard time getting the load because he had paid cash for everything up until then and hadn't established any credit. Now he runs his own security systems business. Oh yes, he found time to participate in sports through HS too.

My point is, if you give and give and give to your kids, I think you are actually hurting them in the long-run. Let them learn to earn their own way and they will be far better off for the rest of their lives. And sure, not every kid will be like these two. But over the course of 15 years now watching kids go to church, I can tell you that there are many that are similar.

What about that one kid who was given everything his whole life, screwed up tons of times, committed insider trading fraud, got bailed out by his dad and then still ended up President of the United States?

plbrdude
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
hmmm.. i remember the year i turned 16,wanted a car. my dad said, sure i'll buy you a car. but it will be with your money. ended up w/a 69 olds 88 4 door. had to love it.

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
And personally....I'd never let her be a Donky fan either. :p
That would be much worse than letting her drive.

[reverse mojo]Your daughter will never end up marrying a donley fan[/reverse mojo]

cdcox
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Trucks are more dangerous in roll over accidents.

Beat into her the importance of wearing a seatbelt and by all means, please beat her if you catch her driving and talking on a cell phone.

Tell her that if you see her talking on the cell phone while driving, you will run over her cell phone with the car, then put the little broken pieces of it in her gas tank.

Donger
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
What about that one kid who was given everything his whole life, screwed up tons of times, committed insider trading fraud, got bailed out by his dad and then still ended up President of the United States?

What else do you have against JFK? That he couldn't duck?

jidar
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I've always intended on having my daughter pay at least partially for her driving, but I'm honestly unsure of how she's going to pull it off.

Right now she has Volleyball, Band and Student Council. She has practice daily, plus meetings plus concerts. When Volleyball is out it will be basketball, then track, then softball, then it'll be next year with Volleyball again.

The earliest she ever gets home is 5pm after Volleyball practice. On days she has games or concerts or pep rallys it's as late as 10pm at least twice a week. The other day she got home at 9:30 from a volleyball tournament and then had 2 hours of homework. All of that and she's 12 years old, and I can't expect it to get any better when she's 16.
How in the hell is she going to hold a job to pay for a car?

I still haven't decided how I'm going to handle this.

jidar
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
What else do you have against JFK? That he couldn't duck?

I always thought he was a little air headed.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Plastic had already been invented?

Yeah, and the trucks back then actually had a suspension that could handle it.

:)

Donger
09-14-2006, 12:40 PM

I think you mean 'open-minded.'

jidar
09-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Oh that's just wrong.... Lord I apologize... for makin fun of the air headed president, and be with the starving pygmys down there in New Guinea. amen.

Hog Farmer
09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:4oJr_E5aQZWFsM:http://www.digistar.mb.ca/minsci/equip/TERREX1.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.digistar.mb.ca/minsci/equip/TERREX1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.digistar.mb.ca/minsci/equip/struck.htm&h=290&w=453&sz=38&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=4oJr_E5aQZWFsM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLarge%2BTrucks%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

This should be safe for her to drive.

greg63
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
e-bay??? :shrug:

I'm actually in the same boat with my 16 year old son.

Scaga
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
[reverse mojo]Your daughter will never end up marrying a donley fan[/reverse mojo]

That would "almost" be fine.
I wouldn't have to PAY or ATTEND that particular wedding. :clap:

:hmmm:

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, and the trucks back then actually had a suspension that could handle it.

Plastic had been invented but they didn't make cars out of it back then.

burt
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
I suggest www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com ....but it ia a must to check them on Wednesday and Thursday. Most new ads go in on Wednesday, and the decent "beaters" go quickly.

PastorMikH
09-14-2006, 01:05 PM

Then theres that band geek who used his political power for illegal investing, his political position to promote his own personal promiscuity, proceeded to get impeached and still wouldn't leave the White House.

The former overcame his childhood mistakes, the later is still making them.

DJ's left nut
09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
It's also something they can save for and pay cash for. My daughter wanted an iPod this summer (She's 14). She went to work babysitting and had money for the ipod, accessories, and music in less than a month ($300-$400 in all). I know kids that will work full time in the summer, save the money and take care of auto expenses through the school year.

Also, even with sports, 10-15 hours a week of working is doable if the employer will work around the school sched. If the kid is a good worker and dependable, most will. At 10-15 hours a week, that is still $300-$400 a month which should take care of the expenses associated with a car and have $ to go out on.

Not discounting you on the insurance bit, but insurance must have really gone up since I was a kid. 20 years ago I was paying $120 a month AFTER I had my licesne supsended 30 days for points accumilation.

A tale of 2 kids....

Antecdotal evidence just isn't fair though.

My folks bought my car, I'm putting myself through grad. school.

My wife's parents bought her car and paid her insurance, she's in Medical school.

My best friends parents bought his car, a brand new 4X4 F-150, and paid his insurance, he's a Captain in Iraq and is as fine a person as you'll meet.

If you ask kids to work for things in other avenues of their lives, they'll be appreciative of the car instead of take it for granted. Spoiled kids are spoiled kids, period. But you can give a kid a halfway decent car, allow them to have more freedom during their teenage years, and still not end up with spoiled bastard children.

I absolutely agree with you, there's nothing worse than a spoiled kid. That said, there are any # of ways to be demanding of your children and instill a work ethic without having them leverage themselves trying to buy a car as a teenager.

Hell, by the time they hit 16, they're either spoiled or they aren't. In all reality, the car isn't likely to change them much beyond what they already are.

BagoobaChief
09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=jidar]Right now she has Volleyball, Band and Student Council. She has practice daily, plus meetings plus concerts. When Volleyball is out it will be basketball, then track, then softball, then it'll be next year with Volleyball again.

The earliest she ever gets home is 5pm after Volleyball practice. On days she has games or concerts or pep rallys it's as late as 10pm at least twice a week. The other day she got home at 9:30 from a volleyball tournament and then had 2 hours of homework. All of that and she's 12 years old, and I can't expect it to get any better when she's 16.
QUOTE]

Maybe she needs to be involved in fewer things...it's great that she's active in school and the other extra activities, but she's only 12!! She (or you) won't survive till she's sixteen and old enough to drive. She's just got to be tired by the time the weekend comes around. At 12 yrs old she still NEEDS about 10 hrs of sleep a night, she must just drop into the bed. Then when she's 16 she'll be driving around tired, not a good combination. We limit our kids(15-13-6-3) on the # of activities that they can do on a school night, and that is for OUR sanity as well as theirs. With 4 kids I am already a taxi diver. But we still eat dinner as a family almost every evening, atleast 5 nights a week, its the only way to stay connected as a family. Just my opinion...

Boise_Chief
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
The deal I made with my daughter is that if she gets a full ride scholarship, I buy her a New Car in it's entirety, her choice within reason. During HS she can drive one of ours. She's not athletic so it'll have to be an academic scholarship, but she's at a 4.o GPA.