20 - Lost Abbey Avant Garde: San Marcos, CA

21 - Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bière: Dexter, MI

22 - Victory St. Victorious Doppelbock: Downington, PA

23 - Allagash Interlude: Portland, ME

24 - Alesmith Speedway Stout: San Diego, CA

25 - New Glarus Yokel: New Glarus, WI

Ari Chi3fs
09-14-2006, 11:55 AM
i have tasted only the Samuel Adams Black.

Wow. Im way uncool.

MOhillbilly
09-14-2006, 11:57 AM
yuppie hippie beers.

numberone beer of the hardcore working man is whiskey.

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Keystone Light.

Saulbadguy
09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
i have tasted only the Samuel Adams Black.

Wow. Im way uncool.
Same here. In fact, I have not seen or heard of any of the others.

NewChief
09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I've drank beers from about half the breweries, but I haven't tasted very many of these actual beers.

Deschutes definitely makes one of my favorite beers. The Black Butte Porter.

Avery makes some crazily expensive but good beer.

Dogfish Head ditto.

Bell's also has some very tasty beers.

Full Sail, Sam Adams, and Rogue all have good beers, but I haven't tasted anything from them that I'd call spectacular.

cdcox
09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Most of these seem to be distributed on a very local basis. This appears to be one of those lists where the objective is to list the most obscure beers available, in order to demonstrate the worldliness of the list maker.

kc rush
09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Featured In October Issue Of Men's Journal

13 - Penn Weizen: Pittsburgh, PA

15 - Ommegang Hennepin: Cooperstown, NY

16 - Samuel Adams Black Lager: Boston, MA

17 - Sprecher Hefe Weiss: Milwaukee, WI

I've had these. I really liked the Sprecher Hefe Weiss. Also, if I'm going to have Ommegang I'll have their Belgian style Abbey Ale.

JimNasium
09-14-2006, 12:11 PM
2 - Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA: Milton, DE Good beer but maybe a tad over-hyped.

10 - Bell's Expedition Stout: Comstock, MI Another very good beer but I prefer their Two-Hearted ale. I make a really good clone of that ale.

15 - Ommegang Hennepin: Cooperstown, NY One of my favorite domestically brewed beers.

16 - Samuel Adams Black Lager: Boston, MA Meh.

gblowfish
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Which ones come in 40 OZ bottles?

JimNasium
09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Which ones come in 40 OZ bottles?
The Hennepin is close although it has a cork. That may be too ritzy or confusing for most Planet dwellers.

Dartgod
09-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Before I even read this list, if Bud, Coors or Miller appear anywhere, then it is a crock.

I'll go read it now.

jidar
09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Boulevard dry stout, draft in a frosted mug.
To hell with the rest, I'm not out to impress anybody, just drink good beer.

Coogs
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Keystone Light.

Now you are talking. That is the brew always stocking the fridge at the Coog's residence. If me and the better half are out for a meal, Boulevard Wheat is the choice if it is on tap.

JBucc
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Coors Light! WooHoo!!:)

scott free
09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
IMO , reg. Bud or Coors for all- American favorites. Corona for import and beer snob import Tucher's, a fine product of the Fritz's

Dartgod
09-14-2006, 12:26 PM
OK, after reading the list, this is the only one mentioned that I have actually tried.

14 - Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale: Cleveland, OH

I wasn't bad, but I've had several Pale Ales that I liked better. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and O'Dell's 5 Barrel Pale Ale are two that come to mind.

Fish
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
9 - Rogue Brutal Bitter: Newport, OR

I've had these 2, and probably wouldn't have considered either to be a top 25 beer....

StcChief
09-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Will look for the Sam Adams...I prefer Ale.

Bell's is good if you like a Stout.

10 - Bell's Expedition Stout: Comstock, MI

others are likely only in a speciality store. Lucas Liquors etc. at $$$$ to try.

L.A. Chieffan
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
i usually drink boring ol MGD, but if im feeling a little spry ill sip some Sierra Nevada (truly one of my favs) or maybe Shinerbock. I think Sierra shoulda been on that list. Also i always like a guinness or a black and tan once and a while.

Phobia
09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
IMO , reg. Bud or Coors for all- American favorites. Corona for import and beer snob import Tucher's, a fine product of the Fritz's

You are the most ignorant person alive.

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
:harumph:

http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/images/labels/LooseCannonTapMarker.jpg

StcChief
09-14-2006, 01:29 PM
:harumph:

http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/images/labels/LooseCannonTapMarker.jpg

The label looks cool I will have to look for that one.

So you drink enough of those do you turn into a 'Loose Cannon'...

scott free
09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Phobia , it's a tough crowd here at the Planet but that's the appeal. I'll keep tryin'............... :harumph:

siberian khatru
09-14-2006, 01:31 PM
The label looks cool I will have to look for that one.

So you drink enough of those do you turn into a 'Loose Cannon'...

One sip and I'm spoiling for a fight.

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Which ones come in 40 OZ bottles?OE.

FTR,
Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat is easily my favorite.

StcChief
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Blvd Wheat is good :BLVD:

Man's Journal sounds to yuppie for me....

Be interesting to see what comes out of the Great American Beer Fest....as winners.

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/index.htm

BigChiefFan
09-14-2006, 02:20 PM
The Boulevard is very good. I also like Fat Tire Beer out of Colorado. If you like those you should try an Oklahoma beer called Choc it's pretty damn good as well.

Archie F. Swin
09-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow only one Colorado beer...shame
Guess Boulevard is too mainstream

BigChiefFan
09-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I stumbled across this cool story about Choc beer...

American Beer Month
Oklahoma's choc beer
Even in Oklahoma, where the history of legal alcohol sales is pretty short, they've got a romantic beer story.

This one is about a beer called choc. It begins with a homebrew from the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory. The story is that the Indians taught Italian immigrants, who came to work in the coal mines, how to make the beer.

Pete Prichard was one of those immigrants, traveling to the United States with his family in 1903 and starting work in the coal mines when he was 11 years old. He continued for 10 years before his leg was so badly crushed in a work accident that he could no longer work in the mines.

He then began making and selling choc beer in his home in Krebs, which is south of Tulsa. Soon he was also selling bread, sausage and cheese to those who came for the beer, and next he was cooking meals as well. Things went so well that he opened a restaurant in his home in 1925 and called it Pete's Place. He never added a separate bar, preferring to serve the beer to diners at their tables.

He continued to brew and sell choc beer until 1932, when he was arrested for brewing illegally and send to federal jail in Muskogee.

This came against the backdrop of ongoing Prohibition in Oklahoma. It was the only state to enter the nation, in 1907, officially dry. Yet in 1910, the Vinita Weekly Chieftain reported, "Prohibition in Oklahoma is the rankest farce that ever cursed a state... When there are thousands of bootleggers traveling up and down the country... When the streets of every town smell of whiskey... Prohibition in Oklahoma? Ye Gods, what a farce."

Still, when the rest of the United States ended Prohibition, Oklahoma stuck to it. The sale of beer no stronger than 3.2 percent alcohol by weight was permitted because legislators classified it as a nonintoxicating beverage. The state did not permit other (legal) alcohol sales until 1958.

Yet choc beer continued to be available at Pete's until 1981. The story goes that when Pete ran out he sold choc beer made by neighboring homebrewers. The beer surely included the traditional ingredients of water, yeast, barley and hops - but in local legend homebrewers would also toss in tobacco, fish berries, moonshine and occasionally even a barley sack.

Pete passed the chef's hat to his son, Bill Prichard, in 1964, and Bill developed a "gentleman's agreement" with legal authorities to keep selling the beer. Judges, politicians, sports stars, actors and state officials were all regulars. A front page story in Oklahoma City's Daily Oklahoman ended that in 1981.

Choc beer returned to Pete's in 1995, when the restaurant now run by Bill's son, Joe, became a brewpub. Because Oklahoma only allows brewpubs to make 3.2 beer - "strong beer" is subject to another set of laws and taxes - that's what choc beer is these days.

The original choc was probably stronger, though this is a recipe that was passed down only by word of mouth, and beer drinkers can only guess what it tasted like. Today it is best described as a cloudy pale ale, with its malt character (and sweetness) more dominant than hop bitterness despite its tame 3.2 nature.

And it makes a great story.

svuba
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
i usually drink boring ol MGD, but if im feeling a little spry ill sip some Sierra Nevada (truly one of my favs) or maybe Shinerbock. I think Sierra shoulda been on that list. Also i always like a guinness or a black and tan once and a while.

I have tasted almost all of the beers with a Sam Adams label, and they are not even close to the quality of Sierra Nevada beers.

I like the Sierra Neveda Pale Ale.

I also enjoy Lagunitas IPA very much.

kcchiefs12983
09-14-2006, 02:33 PM
milwaukees best light because men should act like men.

Pneuma
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I really enjoy Blue Moon Belgian Ale...I was supprised to find out it was made by Coors because it has flavor.

jspchief
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Most of these seem to be distributed on a very local basis. This appears to be one of those lists where the objective is to list the most obscure beers available, in order to demonstrate the worldliness of the list maker.My thoughts exactly.

Brock
09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
****ing beer yuppies

Archie F. Swin
09-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I stumbled across this cool story about Choc beer...

American Beer Month
Oklahoma's choc beer
Even in Oklahoma, where the history of legal alcohol sales is pretty short, they've got a romantic beer story.

Choc is a fantastic beer...one of my favorites!

ChiefFan31
09-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Damn, I have only had about two of those beers off that list. I am slipping :(

# 20 and 24 are from San Diego and I have not heard of them. I need to drink more often...

MichaelH
09-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I just can't figure out why the southeast isn't represented here. I guess Bud pounder isn't a top 25. :)

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
milwaukees best light because men should act like men.Wow, that brings back memories. I had a friend who drank that stuff warm. "The Beast" is fit for neither man nor beast.

|Zach|
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I had Boulevard's fall seasonal beer the Bob's 47 last night.

Meh.

I still dig the Zon.

JimNasium
09-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I had Boulevard's fall seasonal beer the Bob's 47 last night.

Meh.

I still dig the Zon.
Zon is for pussies. :p

|Zach|
09-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Zon is for pussies. :p
I have been spending a good amount of time with Murphy's

runnercyclist
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Featured In October Issue Of Men's Journal

1 - Firestone Walker Pale Ale: Paso Robles, CA

2 - Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA: Milton, DE

3 - Stoudt's Pils: Adamstown, PA

4 - Russian River Temptation Ale: Santa Rosa, CA

5 - Avery Mephistopheles' Stout: Boulder, CO

6 - Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale: Boonville, CA

7 - Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale: Cleveland, OH

8 - Full Sail Session Lager: Hood River, OR

9 - Rogue Brutal Bitter: Newport, OR

10 - Bell's Expedition Stout: Comstock, MI

11 - Southampton Double White: Southampton, NY

12 - Smuttynose Big A IPA: Portsmouth, NH

13 - Penn Weizen: Pittsburgh, PA

14 - Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale: Cleveland, OH

15 - Ommegang Hennepin: Cooperstown, NY

17 - Sprecher Hefe Weiss: Milwaukee, WI

18 - Alaskan Amber: Juneau, AK

19 - Deschutes Broken Top Bock: Bend, OR

20 - Lost Abbey Avant Garde: San Marcos, CA

21 - Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bière: Dexter, MI

22 - Victory St. Victorious Doppelbock: Downington, PA

23 - Allagash Interlude: Portland, ME

24 - Alesmith Speedway Stout: San Diego, CA

25 - New Glarus Yokel: New Glarus, WI

Yes, those are nice selections. I've had most and they are not "yuppie" beers, just good handcrafted ales-not fizzy yellow water beer.

One of my favorites and lesser know beers is Highland's Gaelic Ale our of Asheville, NC.

runnercyclist
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I had two Dogfish Punkin Ales with lunch. Very nice seasonal. I love the Oktoberfest beers. Great time of year!

Archie F. Swin
09-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes, those are nice selections. I've had most and they are not "yuppie" beers, just good handcrafted ales-not fizzy yellow water beer.

One of my favorites and lesser know beers is Highland's Gaelic Ale our of Asheville, NC.

Yuppie

Lzen
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM

Mmmmm, I was drinking this at Arrowhead before the game on Sunday. :thumb:

redbrian
09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
2005 Great American Beef Fest Winners

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/medals/medalists.aspx

Marcellus
09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Now you are talking. That is the brew always stocking the fridge at the Coog's residence. If me and the better half are out for a meal, Boulevard Wheat is the choice if it is on tap.

You could have typed that for me. I drink all kinds but my regular is Keystone Light and I love the Boulevard Wheat when I am out and about.

And before anybody calls me cheap,I am drinking Paulaner Salvatar double bock right now. And I mean right now. :)

Sam Hall
09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I like Purple Haze and Strawberry Blonde.