PDA

View Full Version : Royals win again

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Shealy homers twice and several others have 2 or 3 hits.

Simplex3
09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Amazing what happens when you bring in competent management. I must say that I'm suprised they've done as well as they have.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Of course they are winning lately. When they have nothing to play for.

CHENZ A!
09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope the other reams in the running for the no. 1 pick start winning, because we need that catcher from Georgia Tech. for some reason I guess it would be kinda nice not to lose a hundred games this yr though. oh well

Pitt Gorilla
09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Of course they are winning lately. When they have nothing to play for.
What does that mean? It's easier to beat contending teams (although not today) when you aren't contending? That doesn't make any sense at all.

beavis
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Amazing what happens when you bring in competent management. I must say that I'm suprised they've done as well as they have.
They started playing better right around the time Moore got here, so I don't know how much you can credit to him. He did get rid of some deadweight that Baird never would have, I'll give him that much. Not to mention a few really solid prospects to our farm system, and the active roster for that matter (Shealy). I'm still not sold on Gaithright though.

redbrian
09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
So that makes the magic number 6 right?

Archie F. Swin
09-14-2006, 10:51 PM
What's their record since Dayton moved in?

Frazod
09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I was just looking at the standings. A few interesting points:

As it stands right now, there will probably be no 100 game winners or losers in either league.

Kansas City is only 1/2 game behind Tampa Bay in the standings. Perhaps they won't finish with the worst record.

Only six teams in the NL have winning records.

The Cardinals lead the NL Central by 5.5 games over the Reds. If they were in the AL Central, they'd be in 4th place. Damn.

Dartgod
09-14-2006, 11:14 PM
I was out there tonite. Attendance was under 9,000. :shake:

It's a damn shame because we got to see a pretty good game; two homers for Shealy, German with a double and a triple in the right center gap, a successful suicide squeeze with Berroa laying down the bunt :eek: and donuts to boot!

Demonpenz
09-15-2006, 01:30 AM
I wish the chiefs could just be a winning team to give me something to watch until spring training

Sure-Oz
09-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Guarantee tomorrow has atleast15-20k being buck night and all.

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
So that makes the magic number 6 right?Yep, they finish 6-9 and they avoid 100 losses.

That's after starting 5-20 before their first road win, 13-38 through the first 2 months of the season.

IIRC, they "officially" hired Moore, press conference and all, on Thursday, June 8. They were 14-43 before they won that night. They're 57-90 now, so that would make their record since the change, what? 43-47? I think over a full season that would come out to 77 wins, but math is not a strong suit.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Yep, they finish 6-9 and they avoid 100 losses.

That's after starting 5-20 before their first road win, 13-38 through the first 2 months of the season.

IIRC, they "officially" hired Moore, press conference and all, on Thursday, June 8. They were 14-43 before they won that night. They're 57-90 now, so that would make their record since the change, what? 43-47? I think over a full season that would come out to 77 wins, but math is not a strong suit.Hey, wait! I thought they were being considered for the worst team in history or something?!?
:rolleyes:

chiefqueen
09-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey, wait! I thought they were being considered for the worst team in history or something?!?
:rolleyes:

That's the price for winning. Don't worry, even if Tampa Bay or the Cubs wind up having MLB's worst record this season, I'm sure the Royals will still be the butt of all of ESPN's jokes.

Chief Chief
09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
So that makes the magic number 6 right?

Magic?? You mean TRAGIC number, right?

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 01:39 PM
99 losses and still get the 1st pick in the draft???

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
99 losses and still get the 1st pick in the draft???Best of both worlds, that would be. To start like we did and not finish with one of the worst records ever is a major moral victory, especially if we lose less than 100. And to still get the first pick and aquire more long-term talent that we need...

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Best of both worlds, that would be
http://img0633.paintedover.com/uploads/0633/yoda.jpg

StcChief
09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I was just looking at the standings. A few interesting points:

As it stands right now, there will probably be no 100 game winners or losers in either league.

Kansas City is only 1/2 game behind Tampa Bay in the standings. Perhaps they won't finish with the worst record.

Only six teams in the NL have winning records.

The Cardinals lead the NL Central by 5.5 games over the Reds. If they were in the AL Central, they'd be in 4th place. Damn.

Tough to compare AL/NL when pitcher don't bat in AL.

We won't win 100, but we will likely win division. After that who's hot...

But we didn't lose ~100 either like Royals.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Tough to compare AL/NL when pitcher don't bat in AL.

We won't win 100, but we will likely win division. After that who's hot...

But we didn't lose ~100 either like Royals.It's easy to compare them when the play each other. AL>>>>>>>>>NL

tk13
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
The AL destroyed the NL, totally annihilated it. It's not even close. Even the Royals had a winning record against the NL central. And the Tigers, Sox, Twins all had records like 16-2 and 15-3. You could make the claim that the Royals might be able to finish in the top half of that division, and it wouldn't be far fetched. To be honest I think we could take the Cardinals in a short series right now. The Royals have had a better record over the last three months or so.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 03:06 PM
The AL destroyed the NL, totally annihilated it. It's not even close. Even the Royals had a winning record against the NL central. And the Tigers, Sox, Twins all had records like 16-2 and 15-3. You could make the claim that the Royals might be able to finish in the top half of that division, and it wouldn't be far fetched. To be honest I think we could take the Cardinals in a short series right now. The Royals have had a better record over the last three months or so.

you could make a case that playing against the NL is what turned around the Royal's season. There were getting completely waxed until they got some confidence back by beating up on the NL teams.

SPchief
09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

I'm gonna move over and await the Cards fans to come in here to brag about how many World Series they have won. But I'll go ahead and throw this one out there. Who has won a world series more recently? And who did they beat to win it?

tk13
09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
you could make a case that playing against the NL is what turned around the Royal's season. There were getting completely waxed until they got some confidence back by beating up on the NL teams.
You might be right. We were playing terrible up to that point. That whole division is just terrible. The Cardinals have Chris Carpenter and Pujols, and that's about it. That might be enough to win them a playoff series in the NL, too. They've struggled on offense, had horrible starting pitching, and their closer has been terrible. And they're going to win that division, and maybe have homefield for the 1st round. That's crazy.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2006, 03:17 PM
You might be right. We were playing terrible up to that point. That whole division is just terrible. The Cardinals have Chris Carpenter and Pujols, and that's about it. That might be enough to win them a playoff series in the NL, too. They've struggled on offense, had horrible starting pitching, and their closer has been terrible. And they're going to win that division, and maybe have homefield for the 1st round. That's crazy.
it was several things ...... but winning against the NL came first IIRC.

1. starting playing and winning against the NL

2. Dejesus came back from injury(along with some others)

3. hired Dayton Moore

i think that was the order ... didn't all 3 things happen in the same month? :hmmm:

Dartgod
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
it was several things ...... but winning against the NL came first IIRC.

1. starting playing and winning against the NL

2. Dejesus came back from injury(along with some others)

3. hired Dayton Moore

i think that was the order ... didn't all 3 things happen in the same month? :hmmm:
Somewhere in there (after DeJesus' return, I think), Teahen came back up from Omaha and started knocking the cover off the ball.

HemiEd
09-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I tried to find tk13's post, but he predicted something similar to this would happen before the season ever started.