PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to write for Warpaint Illustrated?

Count Alex's Losses
09-14-2006, 11:34 PM
We're looking for new writers for both the magazine and the website. If you're interested, submit a sample article to my email, bfett81@gmail.com

Please keep your topic limited to the Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
09-14-2006, 11:38 PM

What? we cant write about Poop, George Bush or Whitlock?? Thats all i come to Chiefsplanet for. : )

Smed1065
09-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Do we have to pay? Do we get paid?

Count Alex's Losses
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Do we have to pay? Do we get paid?

You don't have to pay. You won't get paid.

Moo
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Is an article about Gatorade, Chiefs related enough?

Moo

SNR
09-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Will I get free membership to "Chiefs Insider"?

Rausch
09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Ok.

Does your editor censor it or do I need to?...

Skip Towne
09-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I love this "Anybody can write " mentality of WPI. Hahahahahahahahaha. That may have to do with the fact they have such a shitty publication. You guys are rookies at every position from the owner on down. The fact that you have Chiefs credentials is an absolute abomination that makes me think less of the Chiefs Organization. You guys are the worst pretenders I have ever seen. Keep spamming us, though, you are good for comic relief. Good job, Phobia, hiring two derelicts like Gochiefs and Zach. You should go national soon considering all the "talent" you have assembled.

Count Alex's Losses
09-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Will I get free membership to "Chiefs Insider"?

That's not up to me. I'd imagine it's a possiblity.

Count Alex's Losses
09-14-2006, 11:52 PM
I love this "Anybody can write " mentality of WPI.

That's not our mentality at all. I rejected a potential writer the other day.

Count Alex's Losses
09-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Ok.

Does your editor censor it or do I need to?...

I'll censor anything that needs to be censored.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 12:00 AM
You rejected a writer? So you are in charge of selecting writers? That is absolutely hilarious. It adds even more credibility to my skepticism. Nick Athan has nothing at all if he is hiring little know nothings like you for managements positions. My opinion of WPI just dropped another two notches. I didn't think my opinion of Nick Athan could drop any farther but it did. My opionion of Phobia only dropped one notch.

Cochise
09-15-2006, 12:03 AM
ahhh we missed you Skip LMAO

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 12:05 AM
You rejected a writer? So you are in charge of selecting writers? .

Quite frankly, it's none of your goddamn business.

Logical
09-15-2006, 12:07 AM
You rejected a writer? So you are in charge of selecting writers? That is absolutely hilarious. It adds even more credibility to my skepticism. Nick Athan has nothing at all if he is hiring little know nothings like you for managements positions. My opinion of WPI just dropped another two notches. I didn't think my opinion of Nick Athan could drop any farther but it did. My opionion of Phobia only dropped one notch.

They use him as an editor and he does ok at that. I doubt he is selecting writers but probably has not recommended some he has solicited to see if they want to try.

HolmeZz
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
The 'Cheese knows crap when he sees it.

And not just when he catches a glimpse of his reflection.

Iowanian
09-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I would, but I've got no creative sense when it comes to written word. I type in monotone

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2006, 12:21 AM
How long of a writing do you need for a sample?

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 12:21 AM
As long or as short as you want or need.

C-Mac
09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
How long of a writing do you need for a sample?

I only submitted a 14 page thesis.... but hey feel free to do what ever you need to catch there eye.

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
14-pages is great. We can break that up into 28 premium articles and charge people through the wazoo!

HolmeZz
09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
As long or as short as you want or need.

You'd make a great hooker.

C-Mac
09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
14-pages is great. We can break that up into 28 premium articles and charge people through the wazoo!

Through the wazoo......thats what I'm talking about right there. :thumb:

Smed1065
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
So you all hate WPI but I see several posters and writers contributing from here. Does that mean step up or out? At least the sensible posters! LOL

Fruit Ninja
09-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Quite frankly, it's none of your goddamn business.
lol. nice i like that.

C-Mac
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
So you all hate WPI but I see several posters and writers contributing from here. Does that mean step up or out? At least the sensible posters! LOL

Well I hear there are a few "closet" cross dressers in every family..... but very few.

Fruit Ninja
09-15-2006, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=smed1065]So you all hate WPI but I see several posters and writers contributing from here. Does that mean step up or out? At least the sensible posters! LOL[/QUOTE Haters are everywhere, No matter what you do, you just cannot escape them. Someone is always there to talk shit, or to put you down. Regardless of what it is your doing, or what your trying to do. Just have to accept that you got asshats everywhere and move on.

Phobia
09-15-2006, 12:43 AM
I love this "Anybody can write " mentality of WPI.

You can't.

HolmeZz
09-15-2006, 12:48 AM
"Anybody but Skip"-tality.

Sfeihc
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Threads like this are the reason i love this place.

Don't sell yourself short Iowanian. Nobody stacks shit quite like yourself.

Thig Lyfe
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
GC, what's your pen name in WPI?

Phobia
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
His name is Clayton Wimpler.

HolmeZz
09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
His name is Clayton Wimpler.

It's all starting to make sense.

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Wimple THIS!

ENDelt260
09-15-2006, 01:30 AM
They use him as an editor and he does ok at that.

Actually, he doesn't. He stole all of the flavor out of all of Mer's columns. Y'all never saw the best shit she wrote.

Demonpenz
09-15-2006, 01:33 AM
i am locked up with atchison times for awhile

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Actually, he doesn't. He stole all of the flavor out of all of Mer's columns.

All two of them?

Psyko Tek
09-15-2006, 01:53 AM
We're looking for new writers for both the magazine and the website. If you're interested, submit a sample article to my email, bfett81@gmail.com

do I have to supply my own crayons or do you guy mail them to me?

how 'bout groupies got any groupies?

the Talking Can
09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Neil Smith is an English teacher.

StcChief
09-15-2006, 08:26 AM
WPI thinks any American can write about football.
worth a shot some college journalism major very interested in sports work might take you up on it.

Send this to MU/KU,N and the rest of the state schools.

Good practice for a football fan.

Ultra Peanut
09-15-2006, 08:33 AM
How could I live with myself?

DaFace
09-15-2006, 08:35 AM
To me, the fact that WPI is willing to let "anyone" be a writer if they have the skills is somewhat refreshing. Today's media is often stale and filled with people with hidden agendas, often involved in more politics than news. The internet, specificically blogs and independent news sites like WPI, is empowering ANYONE to write quality news without having to deal with the politics.

I'm not saying that every article from WPI is quality - in fact there are many that aren't. However, it's nice to get articles that are truly written from the FAN'S perspective. That's what WPI provides, and I don't see it as a bad thing. Are they up to the standards of, say, the Star? Probably not. But I'm more interested in the content of the article than the way it's written.

For the record, I'm not necessarily trying to promote WPI here - just defending the practice of allowing the "everyman" to express his opinion.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 08:43 AM
You can't.
Ohhhh, that really hurts.............deep.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 08:51 AM
do I have to supply my own crayons or do you guy mail them to me?

how 'bout groupies got any groupies?
Ha....Ha...Hahahahahahahaha

Stinger
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Y'all never saw the best shit she wrote.
There is a restraining order joke in there somewhere.

boogblaster
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Ah the written word..almost a lost art..belch..burp..fart....

Cochise
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
To me, the fact that WPI is willing to let "anyone" be a writer if they have the skills is somewhat refreshing.

The average fan perspective is kind of a neat gimmick, but there is also a reason why people major in journalism at universities. I guess this isn't a newspaper, and amateurish stuff is not something you would be surprised to see. But still, there is a wealth of Chiefs coverage out there between national sports publications and media, and local outlets like the star, most of which is free.

I do admire them for trying to shed the Athan/profootballtalk tabloid style and become more credible.

ENDelt260
09-15-2006, 10:14 AM
All two of them?
What does the number of columns she wrote have to do with my statement?

morphius
09-15-2006, 10:19 AM
The average fan perspective is kind of a neat gimmick, but there is also a reason why people major in journalism at universities. I guess this isn't a newspaper, and amateurish stuff is not something you would be surprised to see. But still, there is a wealth of Chiefs coverage out there between national sports publications and media, and local outlets like the star, most of which is free.

I do admire them for trying to shed the Athan/profootballtalk tabloid style and become more credible.
Have you read sports journalists? Sure they might have good sentence structure, but damn, most amatuer stuff is just as insightful. We are not talking rocket science here.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Have you read sports journalists? Sure they might have good sentence structure, but damn, most amatuer stuff is just as insightful. We are not talking rocket science here.
Amateur

morphius
09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Amateur
Old and whiney...

Ultra Peanut
09-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Have you read sports journalists? Sure they might have good sentence structureI must respectfully disagree.

Cochise
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM

There are differences between amateur sports fans and people who are professional journalists with members of a major news organization, that is what I'm saying.

Besides the things you mention about being able to write a professional article, I don't think someone who writes from their couch several states away after watching a game on TV just like I did, with quotes lifted from other sources, has any more special insight than I do. That kind of thing is for forums like this. A beat reporter who has met the coaches and speaks with them through the year, goes to practice, has some kind of rapport with players, actually gets to ask them his own questions, travels with the team on road trips, speaks with people both on and off the record, has access to colleagues, etc. In any other business we would ascribe more expertise to professionals than average joes, I don't see why journalism is much different.

I read the articles when they are posted here. I don't feel like the same quality exists between a media outlet and popupadfootball.com or whatever. A source has to have credibility like in any other area. If someone is a professional you can give that. If someone is basically just some dude, then so what? JMO... 'course

Demonpenz
09-15-2006, 10:54 AM
There are differences between amateur sports fans and people who are professional journalists with members of a major news organization, that is what I'm saying.

Besides the things you mention about being able to write a professional article, I don't think someone who writes from their couch several states away after watching a game on TV just like I did, with quotes lifted from other sources, has any more special insight than I do. That kind of thing is for forums like this. A beat reporter who has met the coaches and speaks with them through the year, goes to practice, has some kind of rapport with players, actually gets to ask them his own questions, travels with the team on road trips, speaks with people both on and off the record, has access to colleagues, etc. In any other business we would ascribe more expertise to professionals than average joes, I don't see why journalism is much different.

I read the articles when they are posted here. I don't feel like the same quality exists between a media outlet and popupadfootball.com or whatever. A source has to have credibility like in any other area. If someone is a professional you can give that. If someone is basically just some dude, then so what? JMO... 'course

I would have to disagree. The only time we get anything with more insight or any other than the standard We gave a 110 percent the other team is great, Praise jesus for letting me catch that touchdown, is when someone from the media just asks dumb questions over and over then we get a blowup and somewhere in the blowups are a nugget of what they really feel.

morphius
09-15-2006, 10:55 AM

I'm just saying that 95% of the articles that are written by sports reporters are something that could just easily be found on a BB, and days earlier. It is only seldom do they come out with real breaking news.

Don't get me wrong, I would love more actual beat type reporters, but the pro's have come up pretty short when it comes to getting us much from the inside.

chop
09-15-2006, 11:14 AM
If you don't pay the writers for their stories, what is the money for the membership used for?

Why would I pay for an article written by someone that has no more insight than I do?

I'm not bashing WarpaintIllustrated, I'm just asking questions.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Old and whiney...
Whiny

morphius
09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Whiny
exactly...

Easy 6
09-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Cochise, there's alway's a lot of truth in your take's. I love both style's when well done.There are many very,very well informed football opinion's here at the Planet,and some hi-LARRY-ous one's too.Warrior5 come's out w/some stuff that can make a level-headed dinvr diehard give a begrudging chuckle.So i love the fan stuff,but the part about the pro's building relationship's, having access to various behind the scene's moment's etc. clearly define's the difference's.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-15-2006, 11:35 AM

What, exactly, are your qualifications for judging the merits of others' writing?

Rain Man
09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I just signed a seven-figure deal to write for warpaint. The figures are in Cyrillic, though, so I don't know what they really mean.

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 12:13 PM
I just signed a seven-figure deal to write for warpaint.Too bad the seven figures are N O T P A I D.

Rain Man
09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Too bad the seven figures are N O T P A I D.

Oh. I thought they meant something different in Russian.

keg in kc
09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh. I thought they meant something different in Russian.Well, if WPI was Russian for "Wedding Planners International" those characters might indicate a lovely young lady sent you a message along the lines of M A R R Y M E.

Hope your wife doesn't see that. Unless she's open to polygamy.

Cochise
09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
неоплаченный?

Phobia
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
If you don't pay the writers for their stories, what is the money for the membership used for?
We have a fulltime beat reporter and plenty of promotion expenses. Our beat guy travels to away games. Scout takes their chunk as well. After that, there's not much left.

Why would I pay for an article written by someone that has no more insight than I do?
You probably wouldn't and you're not asked to. Most of our articles written by our free writers are also free. Our premium content is generally written by some of our more seasoned writers.

|Zach|
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Nudge's blog was the best source of info coming out of TC this past year.

Phobia
09-15-2006, 01:37 PM

It's not exactly like that. We frequently provide our writers with exclusive interviews retrieved by our beat guys and analysts. In addition, our Warpaint guys are frequently credited with asking technical football questions. So, whether you like Warpaint, visit the site, or subscribe to the magazine you're benefiting from what we do by virtue of our contributions to press conferences.

I'm as amateurish as anybody else, but I make a concerted effort to bring 4 fresh points to the table every Tuesday. In fact, I specifically wait until Tuesday to release my column so I can ensure I'm not writing the same thing as the real journalists.

JBucc
09-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Why don't we have some sort of column on ChiefsPlanet? Rainman and cdcox could write for starters. One stat guy and one um, something else guy. It couldn't be that hard to set up could it?

Phobia
09-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Why don't we have some sort of column on ChiefsPlanet? Rainman and cdcox could write for starters. One stat guy and one um, something else guy. It couldn't be that hard to set up could it?

Sorry. Warpaint already has exclusive rights to those guys. You get kcnut and Laz.

JBucc
09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
You get kcnutThat would be an interesting experience

Phobia
09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
He used to write for us but he quit.

Phobia
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
What, exactly, are your qualifications for judging the merits of others' writing?

He's a skilled writer himself. He's had formal training in writing as well. He's as qualified as anybody else at Warpaint and we're glad to have him on the team.

HemiEd
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
I uzed to spel perty good until I started reeding this site.

morphius
09-15-2006, 02:12 PM
I uzed to spel perty good until I started reeding this site.
Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that.

banyon
09-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Don't know why, but this thread somehow reminds me of that art school test:

vailpass
09-15-2006, 02:20 PM
He's a skilled writer himself. He's had formal training in writing as well. He's as qualified as anybody else at Warpaint and we're glad to have him on the team.

Yet he still needs you to answer for him?

Phobia
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Yet he still needs you to answer for him?

He's far too humble to boast on his accomplishments. They are few, but they're both very impressive.

vailpass
09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
He's far too humble to boast on his accomplishments. They are few, but they're both very impressive.
ROFL Well done.

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 03:50 PM

MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD!!!
And their like
It's better than yours,
Damn right it's better than yours,
I can teach you,
But I have to charge

buddha
09-15-2006, 03:55 PM
We have a fulltime beat reporter and plenty of promotion expenses. Our beat guy travels to away games. Scout takes their chunk as well. After that, there's not much left.

Exactly...that's what Scout does. So does Rivals.

They demand tons and tons of "premium" content to be pumped out there, and most of it is just noise.

For those who think WPI makes a ton of money, I can guarantee you that isn't the case.

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Someone had to pay for the hookers Phobia was throwing through my bedroom window.

Donger
09-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Meh.

GoChiefs is a fine writer. I've seen improvements in each article.

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Meh.

GoChiefs is a fine writer. I've seen improvements in each article.

THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO

Donger
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO THAT WHO

Heh. Most people don't know the difference, but it's nice to see that you do.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 09:56 PM
He used to write for us but he quit.
That kid is a lot smarter than people give him credit for. Gochiefs isn't smart enough to quit.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Nudge's blog was the best source of info coming out of TC this past year.
Coming from you that doesn't mean much. We all know you are allied with them. Traitor!

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 10:00 PM
LOL. KCNut never wrote for us.

Also, I'm not sure what would be smart about quitting.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 10:04 PM

Also, I'm not sure what would be smart about quitting.
The "NO PAY" part.

Donger
09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
The "NO PAY" part.

The boy's doing something that he's rather good at doing. And he enjoys it. Must he be paid to make it respectable in your eyes?

Deberg_1990
09-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Call me a little naive but ive never been to Warpaints site. Just what sort of Chiefs content can i get from the premium service that i cant get for free here, KCChiefs.com, ESPN, CNNSI or the KCStar already????

Count Alex's Losses
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
How do you know I'm not getting paid, Skip?

shaneo69
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I love this "Anybody can write " mentality of WPI. Hahahahahahahahaha. That may have to do with the fact they have such a shitty publication. You guys are rookies at every position from the owner on down. The fact that you have Chiefs credentials is an absolute abomination that makes me think less of the Chiefs Organization. You guys are the worst pretenders I have ever seen. Keep spamming us, though, you are good for comic relief. Good job, Phobia, hiring two derelicts like Gochiefs and Zach. You should go national soon considering all the "talent" you have assembled.

Best post ever. :clap:

|Zach|
09-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Best post ever. :clap:
From the guy who gets a hard on every time kcchiefs.com updates an article.

Phobia
09-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Call me a little naive but ive never been to Warpaints site. Just what sort of Chiefs content can i get from the premium service that i cant get for free here, KCChiefs.com, ESPN, CNNSI or the KCStar already????

Dude, nobody is asking you to sign up premium. That's a personal decision for you alone to make. If you're the type to drop $100 for a round of golf then you have sufficient disposable income to subscribe but there's absolutely no pressure.

I'd like you to check out our free content. We do a pretty good job on that stuff too.

Logical
09-16-2006, 02:26 AM
How do you know I'm not getting paid, Skip?

I suppose Star Wars action figures is a form of pay.

AcesCasino
09-17-2006, 02:09 AM

As if the Chiefs aren't limited enough....

AcesCasino
09-17-2006, 02:10 AM
"I can rite REEL good!"

luv
09-17-2006, 02:12 AM
As if the Chiefs aren't limited enough....
AFC West fan, huh? Any team in particular?

SoCalBronco
09-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Actually GoChiefs is a pretty good writer.

AcesCasino
09-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Actually GoChiefs is a pretty good writer.

you know what? He just might be, I haven't read any of his work...I'd better hold off, until I do....That IQ test blarney WAS pretty darned weak, though.....

OldTownChief
09-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Yes he did. The Essix(sp) view.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Yes, eye wood love two right four warpaint.

Were do eye sing up?

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I am insulted, Pastor.

burt
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I am insulted, Pastor.

Not the first time, won't be the last

"Women are disgusting." ROFL

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I am insulted, Pastor.

Just because you do a decent job at grammer doesn't mean all of the writers do.

:)

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Just because you do a decent job at grammer doesn't mean all of the writers do.

:)

Actually, they all do, because I edit everything.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM

If that's the case, then why didn't you edit the Pastor's post, which misspelled "grammar".

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Shut up.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 01:20 PM

Then you have your work cut out for you with some of the ones who's articles I had read before you started helping.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Then you have your work cut out for you with some of the ones who's articles I had read before you started helping.

No shit. Why do you think I'm looking for new writers?

ENDelt260
09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD!!!
And their like
It's better than yours,
Damn right it's better than yours,
I can teach you,
But I have to charge
If only you had an editor to proofread your posts.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Damn. Just noticed that. That's what I get for copy/pasting from lyric sites.

http://www.lyred.com/lyrics/Kelis/Tasty/Milkshake/

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Seriously, I remember reading some of GoChiefs' work back when he was covering a girl's softball league for a fish wrap he used to work for. l couldn't believe someone who acted like he did on the Planet at that time would do such a good job writing. A year or so back I noticed he had quit writing. I'm glad he's decided to pick it back up because he does have a talent for it.

GoChiefs, have you ever considered sending some of your articles into the newspapers as a free-lance writer?

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:26 PM
No. I'm not good enough as a straight-up columnist.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 01:30 PM
No. I'm not good enough as a straight-up columnist.

Maybe not the KC Star yet, but you are good enough to send articles in to the ones in smaller markets as well as some of the lesser papers in the metro areas.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I really don't think I am, but thanks.