PDA

View Full Version : More shameless self-promotion from a member of the new media

cdcox
09-15-2006, 12:11 AM
As most of you know, I've been posting playoff predictions on the Planet for years. Since I started my website last year, I haven't posted my weekly updates, figuring people could run the software if they wanted to see the results. This year, I'm posting my routine weekly updates in a blog associated with the web site. I'm also going to try to write an article or two each week as time permits.

If you'd like to see the weekly playoff predictions and/or read my artilces, they are posted in my blog:

http://files.nfl-forecast.com

If you are a true fan, you'll want to do your own analysis using the free software available at:

http://nfl-forecast.com

I'll definitely be in the thick of playoff senario discussions here on the Planet if we are so lucky as to be in that position.

C-Mac
09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm impressed Mr Cox....:thumb:

Phobia
09-15-2006, 12:45 AM
You're the man.

DaFace
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Nice work, man - I like the improvments you've made to the software. Hopefully we'll have a good enough season that it will be useful (for Chiefs fans) near the end of the season.

One question I've got for you: I know that your power rankings are determined statistically, where places like ESPN use more subjective rankings. Is our current ranking at #10 a reflection of our actual state from the first game, or is it more of a carryover from last season? I just wouldn't think a losing game as our only data set would put us up that high.

StcChief
09-15-2006, 08:36 AM
cdcox very cool.

morphius
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Maybe you should put that is your website in your profile, so people can find it easier.

morphius
of course with my luck it is in you sig and I have them turned off.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Good work, Seedy, keep it up.

cdcox
09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice work, man - I like the improvments you've made to the software. Hopefully we'll have a good enough season that it will be useful (for Chiefs fans) near the end of the season.

One question I've got for you: I know that your power rankings are determined statistically, where places like ESPN use more subjective rankings. Is our current ranking at #10 a reflection of our actual state from the first game, or is it more of a carryover from last season? I just wouldn't think a losing game as our only data set would put us up that high.

I'm still using my preseason power ratings, which are based on the preseason Vegas over/under lines for regular season wins. I basically reverse engineer the Vegas odds accounting for strength of schedule to get the power ratings. What's interesting is that the betting lines and Football Outsiders computer-based rankings had us rated fairly high, but most subjective opinions had us rated lower.

Around week 4, I'll switch over to power ratings based on games played so far in the 2006 NFL season.

cdcox
09-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Maybe you should put that is your website in your profile, so people can find it easier.

morphius
of course with my luck it is in you sig and I have them turned off.

Done, thanks for the suggestion. I also have it in the tag line above my avatar. I don't like sigs, so I don't use mine.