PDA

View Full Version : Brunell over Grbac

Spott
12-26-2000, 12:19 PM
I was listening to the Jacksonville/NY Giants game on the radio and the Jags announcers said that it is probably Brunell's last game in Jacksonville. The Jags are too far over the cap next year and will be unable to resign Brunell because of the amount of money that he will command. IMO, the Chiefs should make every effort to unload Grbac and get Brunell. Of coarse, we'll still need a running game for him to succeed which means we'll probably have to sign a RB in the offseason. I hope Carl can overlook that Brunell hasn't ever played backup for the 49ers and sign this guy while there's a chance this offseason.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

mlyonsd
12-26-2000, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't he go for more money then Grbac will cost?

Not totally understanding the cap thing.<P>

morphius
12-26-2000, 01:09 PM
The GM for Jax said that the first 20 Mil off of the cap was painless, and is for most teams, it was the other 20 Mil that was going to be hard. Lets face it, with ours being 29 Mil over it should not be hard to get down to a respectable number to make some decent moves in the offseason.

NaptownChief
12-26-2000, 01:43 PM
My guess is that they would have similar market value in terms of contract cost...Grbac's stock moved way up this year and Brunell's dropped a little because of his minor tiff with Coughlin...I would sell my soul to replace Grbac with Brunell...

NaptownChief
12-26-2000, 01:53 PM
Considering their backup QB situation, I can't fathom in a million years the Jags not re-structuring his deal to keep him there...With some minor changes they are good enough to be a SB contender again next year...Can't imagine them flushing that to start over.

Iowanian
12-26-2000, 02:04 PM
don't get me wrong, Breunell is a good Qb and has far better scrambling abuility than Elvis but....

This year Elvis has a better QB rating and threw more TDs. I'm wondering what kind of trouble a left handed QB would cause with the impending transition of the Chiefs Oline..in particularly, the right side...doesn't it greatly affect the dynamics of the line?

also, hasn't Breunell had knee injury problems?

NaptownChief
12-26-2000, 02:13 PM
Iowa,

He is two years removed from the knee problems...I don't think that is a concern anymore...As for the line adjustments? Switching from a righty to a lefty is definitely an adjustment but since how the one place that is solid on the line is at both tackle spots...Tait and Riley are both capable of protecting a QB's blindside(Excluding Sunday's game)...

Archie F. Swin
12-26-2000, 02:20 PM
at least if he came to KC he would have some fans . . . sheesh!
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/Alltel.jpg

OK . . . so this wasn't taken at game time . . big deal :D

[This message has been edited by Chief Red Pants (edited 12-26-2000).]

Brock
12-26-2000, 02:25 PM
I would be very surprised if Jacksonville did not find a way to keep Brunell.

DaKCMan AP
12-26-2000, 02:37 PM
I think not. I wouldn't trade Grbac for Brunell at all. Grbac is coming into his prime, knows the offense, and with a good coach who knows how good he can become. I never thought too much of Brunell and he has already proved without a running game he can't lead a team. Grbac has led this team all year without a running game. Plus, I don't think you'll save any cap space by switching QBs.

Clint in Wichita
12-26-2000, 03:57 PM
Stat-wise Grbac had a superior season, but Brunell's brain is the deciding factor, IMO. KC's offense is probably still among the least complex in the NFL. If it took Grbac 4 years to learn it, I'd say Brunell could learn it in one offseason.

I'd make the switch in a heartbeat.

Clint in Wichita
12-26-2000, 04:00 PM
Besides, I think Riley may be the best O-lineman on the team, and he's certainly better than Tait. The "lefty" issue doesn't matter, IMO.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2000, 04:09 PM
Clint, how do you rate the complexity of an offense? I've coached football for a while and I still couldn't rank the NFL offenses by complexity. Could you please provide me with your criterion?

------------------
GO PITT!

Mi_chief_fan
12-26-2000, 05:41 PM
Having lived in Jax in 95-96, I can tell you that Brunell has talent, but his scrambling will ALWAYS get him hurt, ala Randall Cunningham. He's a better passer than Elvis, and makes fewer mental errors. But he took such a beating his first 2 years in Jax that I just wonder how much longer he can take. He took a beating this year as well.

kcchiefszoo
12-26-2000, 05:43 PM
Wont happen!!! Besides me as an Elvis supporter, Brunnell would come here looking for the $$ as Elvis would stay and work with Carl to help the cap. Elvis has the edge.

Archie F. Swin
12-26-2000, 07:58 PM
will take Brunell only if Bosseli comes with http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Packfan
12-26-2000, 08:31 PM
The Chiefs could have had Brunell when he came cheap. Ron Wolf offered him to all AFC teams for a 2nd and 5th round pick. Kansas City had other plans for those picks:

Trading them to Philadelphia for Victor Bailey.

Brunell has more talent, smarts, heart, and character than Elvis will ever have. But the Chiefs are closer to the bottom than they are to the top so I wouldnt spend the kind of money either of these guys want. Chief ought to clean out their cap crap and rebuild. I hope they dont make ANOTHER cap mistake and give Grbac the mega million deal he wants.<P>

alanm
12-26-2000, 08:47 PM
Now where have I heard that story before?

Packfan
12-26-2000, 08:54 PM
alan,

Its a true story. Peterson didnt think much of Brunell and thought a hell of a lot of Victor Bailey. Bailey ended up playing about five snaps for the Chiefs. Just one of many bad trades/non trades that have hurt the Chiefs over the last 12 years.

47mack
12-27-2000, 03:58 AM
I think either one would do fine under a different coaching staff. I have always been a Brunell fan, so that kind of makes be bias. Grbac has shown improvement this year, but mentally I think Brunell is far superior.

Bottom line....either one would drown under this coaching staff.

------------------
TWB

Mi_chief_fan
12-27-2000, 05:14 AM
Actually, Carl traded that pick to Philly for Bailey. Remember who the Eagles drafted with it?

Bobby Taylor

MrBlond
12-27-2000, 09:56 AM
I would trade MB for EG simply because:

Elvis Grbac Has Never Won a Playoff Game !!!!<P>

BCD
12-27-2000, 01:04 PM
its hard to win play-off games with inept coaching like this.

ct
12-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Mr. Red Pants,

Re # 15, I'll take Brunell if and only if he comes with Freddie T!!! OK OK throw in boselli too!

ct

ct
12-27-2000, 02:59 PM
BTW, how many playoff games has Elvis played in? One?

How many playoff games has Peyton Manning won? How many has he played in?

ct
just curious

Packfan
12-27-2000, 03:16 PM
Coryt,

Elvis has started two playoff games. One with KC where his offense mustered 10 points and one with San Francisco where he personnally helped the Packers with two first half INTS. When put in high pressured, high profile games, Elvis has failed.

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 03:25 PM
CORYT - For most of us [packfan excluded] the 'no playoff wins' mantra has become kind of a running joke. Some people were equating this brilliant observation with E=MC2, so we started pointing it out at every possible chance, to kind of deflate its energy. There was an entire thread of signs in nature and popular culture leading to the inexorable truth 'Elvis has not won a playoff game.'
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002860.html

So when you see 'Elvis has no playoff wins' nowadays, chances are the reference is TIC [tongue in cheek].

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 12-27-2000).]

Packfan
12-27-2000, 03:28 PM
JC Johnny,

Thanks for answering a question that wasnt even asked! Coryt wanted to know how many playoff games Elvis played in. I answered him. You gave him some off-the-wall answer that reminded me of Gunter Cunningham. Nice work!

Baby Lee
12-27-2000, 03:36 PM
Packfan - I'd say "don't be a jacka$$," but that ship has sailed.
I wasn't answering a question. The answer is obvious, you reference it every other day. I was providing information.
It appeared [and if I'm wrong, I'll more than glad for CORYT (are you CORYT? NO.) to correct me] that he was taking Mr. Blond semi-serious in his observation in post #21.
Now I understand your vitriol, what with "Elvis has never won a playoff game" being one of numerous posts rooted in lampooning your boorish behavior. But nevertheless, back down son.

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 12-27-2000).]

ct
12-27-2000, 04:02 PM
Ken,

You didn't answer my second set of questions...

ct
waiting...

Phobia
12-27-2000, 04:06 PM
cory,

I'm thinking the answer to your second question is Peyton started 1, lost 1.

Archie F. Swin
12-27-2000, 06:05 PM
coryt,

yep, Brunell/Taylor/Boselli would make for a nice package . . . course i'm good at daydreaming

------------------
Pants
Texas

Archie F. Swin
12-27-2000, 06:31 PM
I have to admit no QB has won me over like Brunell did when he picked apart the Donx in the 4th quarter of the imfamous playoff game at Pile High back in 96,97? . . . I cant remember the year but that game was awesome.

I have mixed emotions about the Jags though, especially when it comes to the Chiefs recored against them.

Brunell hasn't been the same since he hurt his knee 2 or 3 seasons ago.

------------------
Pants
Texas
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/ah.jpg

47mack
12-28-2000, 05:41 AM
DaKCMan AP

How do you figure that Grbac has lead a team with no running game all season? Were did he lead them? If I recall, that is the defense of the "Grbackers" that they are bad because of the running game and coaches, not because of him. I think that is a hard comparison to sell. Grbac can't lead a team with no running game any better than Brunell, or 98% of the QBs in the NFL.

------------------
TWB

Packfan
12-28-2000, 07:11 AM
Coryt,

Manning has played in one game and didnt win it.

Spott
12-28-2000, 07:14 AM
Manning should get his 1st playoff victory in 2 days.

ct
12-28-2000, 07:29 AM
Gee, thanks fellas for playin along with my questions. My point was for Ken, which is many quality QBs have never won a playoff game. You bag on Elvis' playoff record of 0-2. One loss was to the eventual Super Bowl champs, the Broncos, and another to a rising Super Bowl champ, the Pack still hiting thier prime. Hardly seems like enough evidence for a conviction to me.

ct

Packfan
12-28-2000, 10:37 AM
Coryt,

Lets not compare a guy (Manning) who has been to the playoffs two of his first three years, to another guy (Grbac) who hasnt been in three years and has only started two playoff games in his seven year career. For Manning, the sky is the limit, for Grbac, well he is still trying figure out how to manage a two minute drill.

While were at it, lets compare Edgerrin James and Tony Richardson. Kind of silly, IMO.

ct
12-28-2000, 10:40 AM
Let's keep in mind who has the benefit of Edgerrin James in his backfield.

NaptownChief
12-28-2000, 10:43 AM
Putting Grbac in the same sentence as Manning is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Benz.

morphius
12-28-2000, 10:47 AM
Cory - Packfan can't comprehend more then one player at a time, so don't confuse him with logic...

ct
12-28-2000, 11:37 AM
morph,

You'd think one of these days, I'd learn, but...

The entire design of comparing Grbac to Manning was for the ludicrous and shock value ONLY!!

Only illustrating that the NFL's darling young QB also has yet to win a playoff game, for now. I expect that to change in 2 days, however.

------------------
ct
[b]Give TRich the Ball!!!</B>