PDA

View Full Version : Slow Pitch Softball

KChiefsQT
09-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I have my first game of the season tonight and this is the FIRST time I've ever played slow pitch, and co-ed. Tore it up in fast-pitch in highschool. Is there that much of a difference? Any tips?

jiveturkey
09-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Any tips?Don't throw the ball at autistic players.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Hit it at the girls they are weaker.

J/k drink lots of beer.

BigVE
09-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Its hard for most people to adjust to the slower pitch after playing fast pitch. You have to make yourself wait on the ball...hitting will be your biggest challenge. Have fun....seems late in the year to be playing your first game.

Nzoner
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Co-ed tip #1....flash your boobs at the males on the field whenever possible to ensure base hits,dropped fly balls,and close calls at home.

HTH

Jayhawkerman2001
I have my first game of the season tonight and this is the FIRST time I've ever played slow pitch, and co-ed. Tore it up in fast-pitch in highschool. Is there that much of a difference? Any tips?

Im a field superviser for Warrensburg Park and rec, so thats all i do is watch softball for 5 hours a day. What I have noticed them do is literally hit it at the girls... Kind of a shitty way to do it, but it works every time for the guys and girls that can place their hits.

Calcountry

Big difference. Waiting for that moonpitch to come down can be hard at times. You also have to uppercut the ball to meet it solid and drive it. Totally different than the level swing that one needs to put on a fast pitch.

Patience, is the best thing I can think of. The other is, you can actually pick your shots in softball. If you know there is a weekness in the infield or outfield, you can deliberately drive the ball to that part of the field.

JBucc
09-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Why is it called softball anyway? The balls aren't soft at all.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Why is it called softball anyway? The balls aren't soft at all.

Because you can be soft and still play

StcChief
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
wait on the ball.

Arc limit? 12' ?

start in the back of the box when batting.

Lots of time to move forward to adjust to pitch if needed.

Hitting to a girl never hurts :p

Calcountry
09-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Because you can be soft and still playYep. Coming straight from the hardball diamond, you go, gee, I bet I can tag up on that fly foul ball that is only 10 feet from third base, they are going to be all happy they caught it right against the wall, and have no idea I am coming and no one is covering, the pitcher, catcher and third baseman are all over there and going to be high fiving.

I tag, they react exactly like I thought and I go, I am halfway there, and the fools react startled, then finally start running towards third, and I am already sliding in.

Then the best part is, the fools all are going, he can't do that, not on a foul ball. The ump, being a good ump stands there silently, saying nothing. "Well can you" they ask the ump. He puts his hand out, safe.

Then the dummies go, "appeal it, he had to have left early, just appeal it."

So they did, and as soon as they did, the ump goes emphatically, "SAFE!!11!"

Yeah, its pretty soft ball when you can pull a move like that on people.

Glory days.

Jayhawkerman2001
09-15-2006, 04:49 PM
feel the difference between a hardball and a softball. theres your answer. Id definitely rather be hit by a softball than a hardball, but thats my opinion

Fish
09-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Don't wear a bra while you're playing...... it's a known fact that bras have no place in softball.

Ohh and be sure to post the film of the game....

Phobia
09-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Well, here's what I do - follow my lead. I go out, hit homeruns and make no errors. It's pretty simple, actually.

Fish
09-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, here's what I do - follow my lead. I go out, hit homeruns and make no errors. It's pretty simple, actually.

You missed the part were you drink so much beer it makes you think you're hitting homeruns and not making any errors when you're actually striking out or stumbling over first base.......

Cochise
09-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Whoa. I think you play on all the teams in my league except mine. :hmmm: :deevee:

Donger
09-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Are you a lesbian QT, or have you ever had a lesbian experience?

Sorry, but there's not really a very delicate way of asking that.

Phobia
09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
You missed the part were you drink so much beer it makes you think you're hitting homeruns and not making any errors when you're actually striking out or stumbling over first base.......

Which is exactly why I don't drink beer when I'm playing softball. You can get hurt out there.

Fish
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Which is exactly why I don't drink beer when I'm playing softball. You can get hurt out there.

I'm sorry... I had something crazy in my ear.... could you repeat that?

PastorMikH
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM

Then get a big pair of sunglasses to wear to work the next day to cover up the shiner you got trying to field a grounder.

:)

Coach
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I usually don't hit for HR's, even though I am a strong guy. I try to hit it on the ground very hard to force them to field it cleanly if they can.

More often I am safe than out using that tactic. Some are hard rollers, some liners where I could stretch for a double or triple.

Moo
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM

How was your relationship with your Grandfather? Did you have relations with your Grandfather? Was he good to you?

Moo

Donger
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
How was your relationship with your Grandfather? Did you have relations with your Grandfather? Was he good to you?

Moo

They both died before I was born.

PastorMikH
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I usually don't hit for HR's, even though I am a strong guy. I try to hit it on the ground very hard to force them to field it cleanly if they can.

More often I am safe than out using that tactic. Some are hard rollers, some liners where I could stretch for a double or triple.

Most of the fields I played on had really deep fences so even a big guy like me had to really get a hold of one to send it out. What I liked to do was go up to the plate and take a coupld of huge practice swings and stare at the fence. Then hit the first one to or over the fence. It usually ended up in an out at the fence. But then, the next time I was up to bat I'd do the same routine stepping to the plate and all the outfielders would run to the fence and wait. Then I'd put it just over the infield's head, take my base, and wait for my teamates to drive me in.

The other thing I loved to do was pull it to right field. Most teams put their worst player in right field.

wolfpack0735
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
just try to get a hit, not the home run kind. errors will get you one most of the time. i pitch and i love seeing people trying to hit home runs. they are usually easy strikeouts or pop it up.just make contact.

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Wasn't that an error when you caught that ball with your face?

Skip Towne
09-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey, QT, how did your KC party go? We need a report.

ChiefsFire
09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
wear very short shorts and keep lotsa baby oil on the hamstrings...nothin worse than a pulled hammy

Nzoner
09-15-2006, 07:04 PM

That reminds me,on topic, I went to River Falls a couple of years ago and our very cool hostess at our bed & breakfast invited myself and a buddy to watch her co-ed softball game.

Long story short they have a drinking league there.Everybody in the field including the umpire has a cold open beer and every so often the ump calls time-out for all to take a couple of drinks and then they resume the game.

I'd never seen anything like it,by the 6th inning people are getting hit in the back with thrown balls etc. Don't think I could've had a better time unless I was actually playing.

ChiefsFire
09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
That reminds me,on topic, I went to River Falls a couple of years ago and our very cool hostess at our bed & breakfast invited myself and a buddy to watch her co-ed softball game.

Long story short they have a drinking league there.Everybody in the field including the umpire has a cold open beer and every so often the ump calls time-out for all to take a couple of drinks and then they resume the game.

I'd never seen anything like it,by the 6th inning people are getting hit in the back with thrown balls etc. Don't think I could've had a better time unless I was actually playing.
Mike Sweeney playin first base for them?

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM
We play a tourny each year with a keg at each base. It gets ugly late in the day.

Hog Rider
09-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Your game is likely already in progress, but here's my 2 cents:

Don't even think about bunting, it's good for about five minutes of laughter - and your out!

Stealing (on the release) is in the same category as bunting - again, you may be called out when the laughter ends.

Also, you cannot foul the ball off all day, but you probably knew that.

You will need to adjust your swing. Keeping the hands in or "throwing them at the ball" will not allow you to hit all slo-pitch strikes, because the pitch is not coming in on a relatively constant plane. That is one of the reasons slo pitch bats are of a diffent design. You need to learn to let the hands flair early to stroke the outside and/or deep pitches. This is also one of the best ways to hit to right (or opposite to include lefties) field - let the ball get behind you and stroke it with early extension sending it easily toward right. You will also realize the most power to the oppisite field doing it that way. You can also keep the hands in front during contact or use a variety of other techniques to hit to right.

Your typical fast pitch swing works very well on pitches that are coming down in your normal power strike zone, but the key as mentioned before is timing or waiting. I always had my women count a slow 1, 2, 3 or say spa-ghe-tti in their head before swinging, to get the hang of the timing needed.

Took them to State a lot and usually made the final eight. After twenty five years coaching women and co-ed, and no gray hair left to pull out, I gave it up for my daughter's 12 and under fastpitch.

I hope you play(ed) well QT. please let us know how you liked it and how it turned out.

KChiefsQT
09-15-2006, 09:55 PM

hahhaha no! I've kissed a few girls in highschool but nothing beyond that.

KChiefsQT
09-15-2006, 09:56 PM
By the way, I totally blew it my first time up... hit it about 5 feet...it sucked. But then I went 2/3 the rest of the way. Not bad... for my first time.

Donger
09-15-2006, 10:04 PM
hahhaha no! I've kissed a few girls in highschool but nothing beyond that.

Thank you. That was the expected answer.